Filipino Hospitality

we always hear others (foreigners specially) praise us filipinos for being a very welcoming and hospitable people.

truly, we go out of our way to make sure our guests are comfortable, we show them our best behavior, treat them to the best food, the best room in the house, etc. etc. --- we all know the drill.

but i got to thinking: are we hospitable because we feel inferior? is hospitality the result of a difference in social rank?

do we treat others whom we feel beneath us the same way? example: if the family of your katulong came to spend the night, would you give them the guest room?

note that in countries like france and australia, they're not as hospitable as we are. is it because the french and the australians feel superior to us?

what do u think?

• 2 weeks later...

Not really... I think it's because Filipinos like to give the best they can offer to guests, either at par with us or higher... We sorta have a showy nature of proving who has the best... And our pride is a part of it also.

Syempre sa katulong hindi... May pagkamataas ang ugali ng pinoy eh.

Compare to all other nationalities, Filipino are most hospitable. I guess it is more of a cultural heritage, values instilled to them. People who are eating, regardless of the expensive or very cheap good they are eating, they will always offer a stranger food. No way that this is due to inferiority complex. Keep it up.

Edited by kenshin11
  • 4 months later...
I don't think so.

We just want to boast, that's all. :lol:

Let them use the nicest china, the newest blankets, the best tasting food they'll come across, etc. etc.

i think this hits a spot.

i agree mahilig tayo magpabida.

that' also the reason why we react the way we do when we feel slighted, when our hospitality is abused. its an affront to our ego.

Those are the things I miss about Philippines is the hospitality me being a british born filipino there is a big differents on how Europeans act compare to Filipinos im not just talking about UK but europe as a whole. So it's always a pleasure for me to go to the Philippines.

• 5 months later...
I think Filipinos are hospitable because we are. It is a good trait to keep and be proud of.

my original question delves into the real or hidden reason why we are hospitable.

whether we realize it or not, i think that we are hospitable because we feel inferior. races that feel superior to others are rarely hospitable people.

maybe the next time we are feeling hospitable (specially in the case of foreigners) we can pause a moment and ask ourselves: "am i treating this person/s well because i feel/am inferior to them?" would you treat them the same if they were your brown kababayans whom you feel are beneath you?

strip away all the pretense and go deep down into your real feelings.

• 2 weeks later...

this inherent quality of us pinoys makes us boast about our heritage handed to us by our forefathers. I think that more than the feeling of inferiority, it is our ability to make our guest feel at home that make us a good host to say the least. I hope that this quality in us will indeed propel our country into Asia's top tourist destination in the near future.

hospitality has nothing to do with having an inferiority complex. I dont see any french with i.c. being hospitable, even to their countrymen.

masyadong kasing mabait ang mga pinoy, we abolished slavery a loooooooong time before the americans went to war over it. sa mga "god fearing" onaks, ang paglatigo sa isang slave is normal. sa pinas, kapag minura mo ang katulong mo, ikaw ang masama. a world of difference. too bad the thais are giving pinoys a run for their money in the "hospitable" business.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

pinoy are hospitable by nature, it's because of the spanish trait and culture we inherited. but the difference is wealth, spaniards are more wealthy compared to pinoys so in short parang nagiging impractical tayo at all times resulting to pagiging mayabang. kahit wala ka ng pera basta may maihanda ka lang oks na! yan ang pinoy.