Fuel Saving Tips

I have an old car, a corolla 94,  what's the best way to save on gas? I drive a lot everyday because of my work.  Also, what gas is best for my car, unleaded or premium or the hi-octane one?

Follow the tips suggested above:

Don't rev high - keep it below 2,000rpm.

Minimize load and air drags in and on your car.

Maintain the car regularly - change oil, fuel, spark plugs, air filters as recommended.

Minimize use of the air con.

Plan your trips to avoid traffic congestions - travel on off peak hours, look for other routes.

Is your car carbuerated? If so, please mind how fast you accelerate or step on the pedal. Carbuerators are very wasteful when accelerating. Step on the pedal slowly so the carb wont inject too much filler fuel into the engine. Also, keep your foot steady - pumping the pedal will make the carb squirt filler fuel.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

dude... as much as i would like to be "cool" and agree with your statement, i can't...

no matter what you ride is, if its your time... then... game over...

indeed, two wheelers are far, far, far more fuel efficient thatn four wheelers...

nevertheless, a car is indeed safer than two wheeler any time of the day...

kailangan talaga mag tipid sa gas ngayon. bad trip 30 na ang unleaded! dati 4500 a month lang gastos ko sa gas ngayon halos 5500 na.

sabi nila by july 2005 aabot daw sa 50 ang gas. wag naman sana!

heard of that, too... 50 bucks for 1 freakin' liter on unleaded gas? now, at 30 bucks, i'm consuming about 4,500 PhP per week... at 50, that would be almost 7,500 per month... WOW!!!

Follow the tips suggested above:

Don't rev high - keep it below 2,000rpm.

Minimize load and air drags in and on your car.

Maintain the car regularly - change oil, fuel, spark plugs, air filters as recommended.

Minimize use of the air con.

Plan your trips to avoid traffic congestions - travel on off peak hours, look for other routes.

Is your car carbuerated?  If so, please mind how fast you accelerate or step on the pedal.  Carbuerators are very wasteful when accelerating.  Step on the pedal slowly so the carb wont inject too much filler fuel into the engine.  Also, keep your foot steady - pumping the pedal will make the carb squirt filler fuel.

Hope this helps.

Tol ok yung tip mo a..

May dina drive kasi akong pick up na 80's model pa. ISUZU KB petrol(gas)

de karburador siya, maaksaya sa gas. mas maganda nga yung palubog ng palubog yung paa mo sa accelerator para mas mabilis acceleration.. masama din pala yung bomba ng bomba pag high speeds na? kasi sabi sa kin e bombahin ko lagi daw para maganda ang circulation ng gas. ewan ko ba kung ano yung tamang way ng pag da drive ng mga lumang sasakyan.. etong pickup na to e mabilis din kahit luma na, up to 120kph kasi petrol sya, kaso sa kalumaan, laging tumitirik, tapos kelangan mo pang i idle ng 3 - 5 min. bago mo patakbuhin.

• 4 months later...

commute na lang...di naman nakakabawas sa pagkatao kung mag co-commute tayo eh. gumamit ng sasakyan kapag kinakailangan lamang.

tipid sa gas..tipid sa parking..tipid sa toll fee...makakabawas ka pa sa traffic...di ka pa natatakot na ma-carnap auto mo...at higit sa lahat...PWEDENG PWEDE kang magpakalasing ng hindi inaalala kung paano mo i-uuwi ang sasakyan :D

• 2 months later...

Ika nga ni Pocholo

Driving Habits lang yan.

1. Accelerate Gradually daw - Jackrabbit moves consume more gas, change gears up @ 2000 rpm

2. Predict daw - if you see a red light ahead or a slowing traffic ahead, need not to step on gas, free wheeling na

3. Tune ups

Kaya Lang ...."

1. Dito sa maynila kapag di ka naka accelerate kaagad on a green light, tiyak busina ang aabutin mo mula sa likod. Akala mo nakaconnect ung busina nya sa traffic light.

2. Kapag gradual ang acceleration mo Tiyak Masisingitan ka maiiwan ka sa pagtawid ng intersection at aabutin ka nanaman ng Red light.

• 1 month later...

There are some good tips here. I do however want to add some info regarding fuel saving on electronically controlled injected petrol engines.

1) Downshift when you slow down.

That seems counter intuitive right? EFI engines cut off fuel when coasting from above around 1500 RPMS. Google it and you will find this information to be true. As long as you are coasting down from above 1500 RPMS you are not consuming any fuel at all.

2) When faced with a clear road ahead, accelerate quickly while short shifting.

It's true that when you press the gas pedal harder you burn more fuel. So what's the point to this tip?

It's all about volumetric efficiency. Basically because an engine has the least pumping losses when it is unthrottled, or when the air coming in does not have to pass through a small restricted space like a partly throttled car. This is one of the reasons why diesels are so fuel efficient. In a diesel engine, air flows in freely, and power is controled by fuel flow.

What you want to do is accelerate without tipping off the wide open throttle response from your throttle position switch/sensor. This means accelerate to your cruising speed at around 3/4 throttle while shifting at around 2000-2500rpms.

Of course this only works when given a clear stretch of road. For example when you are leaving the toll gates of NLEX.

3) Keep revs down when accelerating.

Frictional losses in the engine rises exponentially. Roughly square that of the rise in RPMs. So if your RPMs triple, frictional losses get nine times higher. When you are accelerating, this is not a good thing.

4) Cruising speeds depend on your car. Slower is not always better.

Usually the most frugal cruising speed is around 70-80kph. Some cars will have it higher. Experiment with your cruising speeds. It's all a matter of drag.

By using these tips I brought my fuel consumption from 6kms/L to around 7.8kms/L. Again this will only work on EFI engines. I do not recommend this on carburetted or diesel engines with mechanical injection.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Guys I have a question. Before when I drove a manual Toyota 92, when driving in long stretches na wala masyadong traffic I used to put the car in neutral and shift back up pag bumabagal na. I used to do this in Edsa. I think for a manual car this is ok. But now I drive an automatic I am wondering if its still ok to do this without damaging the transmission. My car is a Mazda 3 and its the model that shows your gear level. Pag cruising na ako I put it in neutral and pag bumabagal na I put it back to Drive. Kadalasan sa 3rd speed siya pumapasok. Am I damaging my transmission by doing this?

Guys I have a question. Before when I drove a manual Toyota 92, when driving in long stretches na wala masyadong traffic I used to put the car in neutral and shift back up pag bumabagal na. I used to do this in Edsa. I think for a manual car this is ok. But now I drive an automatic I am wondering if its still ok to do this without damaging the transmission. My car is a Mazda 3 and its the model that shows your gear level. Pag cruising na ako I put it in neutral and pag bumabagal na I put it back to Drive. Kadalasan sa 3rd speed siya pumapasok. Am I damaging my transmission by doing this?

Yes its ok if you read your car manual it states it aswell...

its very nomal for any automatic car to be put in Neutral during a stop or when stuck in traffic. What it does is it disengages the gears and slides into N and saves fuel as its not engaging.

However when you go from Neutral to D (drive) make sure u hold the brake and wait one second before hitting the accelerator and going. If you slide N to D and accelerate quickly you will notice a slight bump this could damage your transmission.

Old automatic cars benefit this greatly however even newer cars, i do this all the time aswell...

One trick you can use when driving higher powered cars (In Philippine context, this means EFI controlled 1.5 liter and above cars) is to skip shift when driving in the highways.

Let's face it, we all know a 1.3 engine can do a creditable job in the everyday driving routines that we do. So a 1.5 or bigger engine, especially the modern EFI multivalve types, is plenty much for the normal routine.

In highway driving, you will often find that even at 60 kilometers per hour, a 1.5 or larger engine can already shift to 5th gear and comfortably hold the pace or accelerate to cruising. You really need not bother passing thru 4th gear along the shifting sequence. So you can shift 1-2-3-5, skipping 4th, or even, in larger engines, 1-2-4-5, skipping 3rd.

All this ensures you reach the most economical gear of all (5th gear) more quickly, and saves one inevitable burst of gasoline when you transition from one gear to the next.

Of course this will not work when you can't even reach or reasonably maintain 60 km/h in the first place (say traffic or non-highway), preventing a 5th gear shift, or if you driving an automatic transmission (asa ka pang makatipid yho).

This will not work either if you are driving an SUV, which probably needs the complete run up through the gears given the sheer weight, but if you have an SUV, you are simply not meant to economise gas anyway.

This may also be hard to put in practice with the smaller engines (1.3 and such) due to lack of pull, however the Mitubishi's and the Vios 1.3's with EFI's can do it. We cannot always do this for non EFI engines either since these older engines do not have knock preventors that suppress the occasional knocking experienced when accelerating from low RPMs

But that still leaves a lot of us 1.5 liter+ drivers with an option. Works for me. Try 14 km/liter from an older Honda 1.3 City (Manual) in combined driving mode.

Edited by LostCommand
Yes its ok if you read your car manual it states it aswell...

its very nomal for any automatic car to be put in Neutral during a stop or when stuck in traffic. What it does is it disengages the gears and slides into N and saves fuel as its not engaging.

However when you go from Neutral to D (drive) make sure u hold the brake and wait one second before hitting the accelerator and going. If you slide N to D and accelerate quickly you will notice a slight bump this could damage your transmission.

Old automatic cars benefit this greatly however even newer cars, i do this all the time aswell...

Actually the Mazda 3 Manual states that you should avoid doing this. Also, am I supposed to brake first before I shift from N to D? But it does not have to be full stop right? Otherwise babagal ang takbo and then you have to start from the lower gears again.

Actually the Mazda 3 Manual states that you should avoid doing this. Also, am I supposed to brake first before I shift from N to D? But it does not have to be full stop right? Otherwise babagal ang takbo and then you have to start from the lower gears again.

thats strange in my auntys Mazda SP23 it states you can however not for long periods.

No just hold the brake pedal when sliding N to D and then release and drive...if you N to D and at the same time just launch off when you hit D you will feel a slight grunt or snag..1 second hold isnt long...

If you slide N while cruising down, ie not full stop just coasting, and then go back to D that will damage ur transmission. Its recommended to only put to N if your in full stop.