Bible Versus Science

ako science pa rin...because science is base on facts while bible is just base on the expiriences of the author of that book..and usually what do writters do..they tend to exaggerate a bit.......

i also believe in the phrase"dont believe everything you read" :thumbsupsmiley:

then you also do not believe everything that the science books says...

for me, i stand with what i said before, science proves what's written in the bible, just like what dan brown said in angels and demons, science is still young to understand...

Edited by wheeljack08
ako science pa rin...because science is base on facts while bible is just base on the expiriences of the author of that book..and usually what do writters do..they tend to exaggerate a bit.......

i also believe in the phrase"dont believe everything you read" :thumbsupsmiley:

kakatakot ka naman po.... don't you believe in God? are you an atheist? Kasi Bible is the word of Gos handed down to His prophets for them to teach the world..... so how can Bible be wrong????

My friends, Bible is the word of God it speaks of the TRUTH..... it tells us WHAT happend. D pwede sabihing mali!!!!

Science on the other hand is a body of knowledge based on facts and truth. it tells us HOW it happend. d rin pwde sabihing mali!!!!

So there's no versus here..... they are both on the same boat though on different angle. One does not disprove the other.

I agree with wheeljack.

kakatakot ka naman po.... don't you believe in God? are you an atheist? Kasi Bible is the word of Gos handed down to His prophets for them to teach the world..... so how can Bible be wrong????

My friends, Bible is the word of God it speaks of the TRUTH..... it tells us WHAT happend. D pwede sabihing mali!!!!

Science on the other hand is a body of knowledge based on facts and truth. it tells us HOW it happend. d rin pwde sabihing mali!!!!

So there's no versus here..... they are both on the same boat though on different angle. One does not disprove the other.

I agree with wheeljack.

I don't believe in God as portrayed in the Bible. So yes the Bible can be wrong. The very first book, Genesis, is already wrong. The Bible does not tell WHAT happened. At best, it can be a collection of myths and tales but it cannot be an accurate source of history.

And also, science CAN be wrong, but science is self-correcting. In other words, old knowledge is replaced by new knowledge. Science can be accurate and predictable. Science tells me that water boils at 100 degrees Celsius and freezes at 0 degrees, it tells me that an object falls to earth at an accelerating rate of 9.8 m/s. Science can tell me WHAT HAPPENED, HOW IT HAPPENED, and, much better than the Bible, it can tell me what WILL HAPPEN.

• 3 weeks later...

1.)I don't believe in God as portrayed in the Bible..... .

2.)....the Bible does not tell WHAT happened. At best, it can be a collection of myths and tales but it cannot be an accurate source of history.

1.) so sir if you dont believe in God as portrayed in the Bible, san nanggagaling ang faith mo? Where do you believe in?

Do you go to church po ba? I assume you don't for in the church the priest tells the Gospel for the day taken in the Bible.

2.) Bible is not like science in a way that it can be easily understood. It is written in a literary form that has to be read over and over again before we can fully understand what it is trying to reveal. Parang 7 years old na pinag babasa mo ng biochemistry you dont expect them to understand fully its context. Maybe if we seek out first the opinion of Bible experts here ( i mean those who are taking mastery in theology) before we judge na mali nga ang Bible..... Bible tells us what happened yun nga lang not as detailed as science or as accurate as science. Bible is a word of God that speaks of the truth....I wonder how it can be wrong???? How can the word of God be wrong....

and yes sir Science can be accurate and predictable but am sorry to say Bible is not. Word of God is not as predictable as science because It doesn't go into details but Bible never lie. :mtc:

• 4 weeks later...
SCEPTICS!!!!!!!! THIS IS FOR YOU....A LOVING MSGE FOR THOSE WHO ARE LOST.....

Then you are more likely to believe the prophecies of Nostradamus than of God? OR THE D'VINCI CODE?....Read the Bible b4 you criticize....Have you? then this is for you....

the shape of the earth....

the rest of the world believed the earth was flat, Isaiah declared that the world was round....

ISAIAH 4:22(READ UR BIBLE!!!) "It is He who sat above the circle of the earth"....hebrew word there for circle ('chuwg') can also be trnslated "spehere". when did Isaiah write these words? between 740 and 680 BC. That was at least 300 yrs b4 Aristotole sggested, in his book (On the heavens), that the earth might be a sphere.

Other verses, Proverbs 8:27 and job 26:10 more than 2000 yrs later some pipol stil blvd that Christopher Colombus (1451-1506) was going to sail off the edge of a flat planet in 1492 AD!

The Noah's flood.

Do u blve in fossils? actualy science say that fossils are remains of ancient creatures and animals existed long tym ago, that is embedded on sediments. what are those? those are layers of mud, sand, and small pces of rocks. and what are some of the cause of those sediments to embed those ancient remains of organisms? the flood...that flood wiped out them all, and ofcrse there are currents to put this sediments together to cover those creatures and organisms. does it make sense? this is one of many evidences to prove that the flood really took place....(Science and the Bible" @marshill.org)

The dinasaurs...

The bible had an account of the existince of these creatures.. Job 40:15..."Look now at the behemoth which i made along with you. He eats grass like an ox".....continue reading it to verse 16-24, u'l see definitely it is a dinosaur.....

Joshua's account of the sun...

Its an irony people for you to udrstand, dont you think that authors of the bible are poetic?..you must be a fan of Shakespeare, then you'l undrstnd wt i am saying....

The Bible and the earth

Before Isaac Newton discovered gravity, Hindus blvd that th earth rested on the bck of the turtle. Greeks blvd mythical god Atlas carried the earth on his shlders. But Job, the author of one of the oldest books of the Bible, went against the philosophy and science of the day and proclaimed more than 4,000 yrs ago that which has only been scientfcally provable since the advent of satellite and rocket technology in the 20th century, and that is:the earth on nothing

JOB 26:7.."He (that is God) hangs the earth on nothing."

The bible and the Universe

Greek astronomer and mathematician Hipparchus(190-120BC) said there were exctly 1,026 stars. German astronomer, Johaness Kepler (1571-1630), counted 1,006. The whole thought of the stars being uncountable was contrary to modern science until the invention of the telescope. When Galileo first pointed his telescope to the heavens n 1608, we dscovered der wer a lot mor stars thn anybody hd ever imgined, jst as Jeremiah had said....

JEREMIAH 33:22 "..the host of heaven (a reference to the stars) cannot be nmberd, nor the sand of the sea measured...."

wer they taking lucky guess? i dont think so. Their flawless accuracy rules that out. The Bible says:

2 Peter 1:21 that...holy men of God spoke as they wer moved by the Holy Spirit." God who knws all there is to knw abwt the universe He created, superintended the writing of the Bible to make sure that He wnted written, was written.....many more has the Bible had to say, for you....wake up from being blinded of this world and know the existince of God..

READ HIS WORD, HE HAS SOMETHING TO SAY TO YOU. HEAR HIM BEFORE ITS TRUE LATE FOR YOU TO KNW THE TRUTH. HE LIVES FOR YOU FOR HE LOVES YOU. HE GAVE HIS LIFE FOR YOU. TIME FOR YOU TO TURN TO HIM.....HE IS WAITING FOR YOU OPEN ARMS........

teehee! i'm tickled pink! i don't question about God's love for me..and i'm not catholic either.i just want to discuss what i read...but i hear ya...He did gave my life but he doesn't run my life...NEXT..

• 2 weeks later...

When I was a kid studying in a fundamentalist school I was very afraid of God and all the mean things he is said to be able to do to people with very little justification, such as turning someone into a pillar of salt (Lot's wife) merely for looking back when he was destroying Sodom and Gomorrah.

Now I realize it was all just a cock-and-bull story.

Back then I couldn't understand why God would not want anyone to look at what he was supposed to be doing to these 2 cities. Now I can say the suspicion that was always at the back of my mind... it was the suspicion that God was actually joining in the homosexual orgies which was why He did not want anyone to look back and find him out!!

Edited by jonp
  • 2 weeks later...

There is a saying I heard Some time ago "Science without faith is lame... Faith without Science is blind"

The bible and Science merely compliment each other, they never contradict. Sciencetists do their best to justify what the bible has stated, it merely tries to confirm the fact from fiction.

Also, My theo prof told me that we should not rely heavily about the fact that everything in the bible is true. We must also take into account that these were written by ordinary people, those who do not have the knowledge we do. They wrote it so that men and women of their time may understand, get my point?

Definitely Science--the anti-religion and if god is so fcukin great then why did he create faulty human beings just so he can criticize them and watch as they destroy the earth, gave us a brain to ponder his existence and then cautions us not to use it but to turn to faith. Personally i would rather take responsibility for my own actions and rationalize all adversities than to rely on the unknown,

is such cruelty even humanly possible ? Like making high school students take board exams and then chastizing them if they failed because the test was far beyond their level of comprehension and the only way to pass is to suck up to the proctor (the one who administers the exam). A bad analogy I know but i couldnt think of a more direct one.

eastern religion existed way before christ and essentially tells us that salvation and inner peace lies in no one else's hands but our own, i could enumerate a hand ful of instances wherein christianity has brought about more suffering rather than salvation yet i cannot find an instance wherein buddhism or any other eastern religion has brought about war, slavery and genocide

bible versus science

the bible has told of the Ancient city of Sodom and Gamorrah, these two city has been discovered jus recently by archaelogist at the exact location of the description in the bible, pati yung cave na tinaguan ni Lot andun din

What happened inside the cave where lot and his daughters hid ? Did they have an orgy ? Was it god's will ?

sheesh! everyone calm down, i guess this was a hot one for some of us, hence the misery this world is going through. i, for one, think this is an excellent topic. over the centuries science and religion has been seen as two warring camps, but this has been promulgated by people who are intolerant of ideas other than theirs. our belief system has to evolve (don't mean to offend creationist, but i cant think of a more appropriate word) just as society has. i do believe that the bible has a lot to teach us but i dont believe it should be taken in the most literal sense. i believe science has made great advances but i dont believe it is the alpha and the omega of life. i believe in a being, an entity, a maker if you will, who is greater than me and at the same time synomous with the .... how do i describe it.... proponderant of myself. i truly believe that i am not my body emotions and thought... those are not me but they are mine to protect, to nourish and to control. and both science and religion has made invaluable contributions to help me do that. ;)

nice arguments from both sides.

I for one believe that there is a God. I believe in the Bible and the lessons it teaches. But guys, its true that your shouldnt believe everything you read in the Bible. Of course, some of the facts may be exagerrated or inaccurate. Example, it says there that Abraham live to be around a few hundred years old (im not sure, basta impossible age), but that's not the point. It doesnt matter how old he lived to be, it could be that 1 year then is just 3 months (instead of 12 months), what's important is the lesson that the Bible was trying to impart to us.

If you look at other religions, marami rin naman inaccuracies and exaggerations diba?

hmmm...

The Bible is not a science book, yet it is scientifically accurate. We are not aware of any scientific evidence that contradicts the Bible. We have listed statements on this thread that are consistent with known scientific facts. Many of them were listed in the Bible hundreds or even thousands of years before being recorded elsewhere.

so bible and science are different...

• 2 weeks later...

The apocalyptic ANC ad on TV depicts the situation of biblical authors-prophets describing the events of the future. Of course ancient personalities have no way of knowing the future in terms of modern words and expressions. They may have been given a window to what would happen but can they really relate to those who live today what they have seen? Their vocabulary is limited and their technology/culture is a lot primitive.

Biblical study is good. But one must devote time and effort and not just browse through literature as if it is a straightforward story. It is not a story but a collection of books with much more than stories. They are experiences that readers stand to learn from.

Many bible stories are seeds of blockbuster movies and classic novels. But before judging the Bible for its real worth, take time out to follow the instructions it provides because these stories would mean nothing if we keep repeating the problems they present.

There is a saying I heard Some time ago "Science without faith is lame... Faith without Science is blind"

The bible and Science merely compliment each other, they never contradict. Sciencetists do their best to justify what the bible has stated, it merely tries to confirm the fact from fiction.

Also, My theo prof told me that we should not rely heavily about the fact that everything in the bible is true. We must also take into account that these were written by ordinary people, those who do not have the knowledge we do. They wrote it so that men and women of their time may understand, get my point?

amen!

hmmm...

The Bible is not a science book, yet it is scientifically accurate. We are not aware of any scientific evidence that contradicts the Bible. We have listed statements on this thread that are consistent with known scientific facts. Many of them were listed in the Bible hundreds or even thousands of years before being recorded elsewhere.

so bible and science are different...

Uh, EXCUSE ME!