The SM Complaint Thread

from what I heard ....... management collects around 15% of gross sales OR a fixed rental fee (whichever is higher) from the tenants.

So I guess, the bigger your sales, the higher you will be paying in rent.

its 8% of gross sales plus the rental fee.

i should know. i tried approaching SM Southmall when I opened my sandwich business.

i backed out...

its because for a small kiosk:

rental fee is Php 35,000.00 + VAT

you have to pay for the utilities (electric consumption), with separate consumption bill for water used by your crew.

plus 8% of gross sales

tapos ang assumption nung daily sales lang namin is 4000.00 gross.

wala pa dun yung cost of supplies and yung sweldo.

so if you compute:

Gross Sales

4000 * 30 = 120000

less: 39200 (rent, VAT inclusive)

4000 (electricity - estimate)

1500 (water)

23000 (salary of two crews)

57600 (cost of supplies)

9600 (8% royalty to SM)

134,000 (total expenses for the month)

so negative ako ng 14000/month.

wala pa dun yung mga sponsorships and advertisements as stated in this thread.

one more thing sa mga kadupangan netong si henry sy:

- they do not regularize their employees. up to 6 months lang ang tenure.

even the employees/tellers of BDO are receiving less than the average pay compared to their peers at the other banks. i have talked to with an ex-teller from BDO. she only receives 9000/month gross.

ayun, si henry sy ngayon, naka wheel chair na..

ang tuwang tuwa sa SM is yung mga local governments, dahil sa taxes na binabayaran nila. otherwise, small entrepreneurs and small people who are being employed by the SM group are being disadvantaged.

• 2 months later...

Just came from SM Hypermart along north edsa (The Block) this afternoon.

I wasn't able to complete buying for things on my grocery list since it seems there are a lot of BASIC ITEMS that they do not carry anymore. (example would be Del Monte Whole Kernel Corn and Del Monte "Extra Rich" Ketsup) ...... then there is the difficulty in looking for specific items because a single type of product (say hot sauce) is in one particular shelf while hot sauce of another brand is located in another shelf. I mean could they not put the same type of products under one shelf?????

What really ticked me off was when I got to the fresh produce section.... I saw some freshly steamed peanuts being displayed in one of the sections so I approached it. I saw the sign and it says 23.00 pesos per 200g. I called the attention of a lady manning the station and asked her to place in a plastic 1 kilo of the peanuts.

The lady was using this metal tumbler as measuring cup and told me that for every scoop, it will come to around 200 grams. I just nodded and asked her to get me 1 kilo worth of the peanuts. PERIOD. When she placed a couple of scoops of the peanuts, she immediately handed it to me with the plastic bag aleady with a sticker marked 23.00 x 5.

Call it instinct or whatever ..... I then requested the lady to put the bag of peanuts in one of the scales so I can get a reading. I wasnt sure why, but she was hesitant at first in going to scales which is just on the other station. (probably 5 feet away, maybe the lady was just too lazy) So I had to repeat my request that she place the bag of peanuts on the scale.

Lo and Behold ....... the reading said 800 grams only. I then had to request that they add more peanuts so that it will reflect a 1 kilogram reading. (after all, I was supposedly charged for 1 kilogram)

It may seem like its not much of a big deal (I mean I'm just going to be paying 23.00 pesos in excess) but what if this happened to every customer that buys those peanuts. Heaven forbid if some of the other fresh produce are being sold that way, thats a whole lot of deception (and a whole lot of money) going into the pockets of the owner.

Edited by asmodeus
  • 4 months later...
Biz Buzz - Phil. Daily Inquirer 6/10/09

http://business.inquirer.net/money/feature...-it-all--almost

BIZ BUZZ

We’ve got it all ... almost

By the Staff

Philippine Daily Inquirer

First Posted 20:08:00 06/09/2009

DON’T go looking for Colgate toothpaste in SM Supermarkets. Don’t go shopping there for Palmolive soap or shampoo either, because chances are, you won’t find any. That’s because the SM group and fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) manufacturer Colgate-Palmolive recently got into a tussle over billing issues, according to our sources.

According to the Colgate-Palmolive camp, the disagreement came about after SM insisted on a payment period beyond what is normal for FMCG items (a longer period would have positive and negative implications for either party, since “time is money”).

The SM camp, meanwhile, says the terms are static, and that a new Colgate-Palmolive manager who is “unaccustomed to the way business has always been done” has been pushing for better terms (that are clearly not better for SM).

Thus, Colgate-Palmolive’s products and merchandisers are no longer a fixture in SM Supermarket premises, prompting a high-stakes stand off between the two corporate giants.

Both firms rely on each other for a significant amount of their revenues. SM—the country’s biggest supermarket chain—is easily Colgate-Palmolive’s largest vendor. Colgate-Palmolive products, meanwhile, are some of the best-selling products of the chain, with daily sales estimated in the millions of pesos.

Yesterday, several SM Supermarkets showed thinning stocks of Colgate toothpaste, while Palmolive bath products were “out of stock,” according to the staff.

Neither side seems keen on prolonging the agony, however, and a source from the SM group said that they are “looking forward to resolving any differences.”

Of course, the question really is who will blink first? Daxim L. Lucas

Kaya pala wala nang Colgate sa SM!

• 3 weeks later...
Just came from SM Hypermart along north edsa (The Block) this afternoon.

I wasn't able to complete buying for things on my grocery list since it seems there are a lot of BASIC ITEMS that they do not carry anymore. (example would be Del Monte Whole Kernel Corn and Del Monte "Extra Rich" Ketsup) ...... then there is the difficulty in looking for specific items because a single type of product (say hot sauce) is in one particular shelf while hot sauce of another brand is located in another shelf. I mean could they not put the same type of products under one shelf?????

What really ticked me off was when I got to the fresh produce section.... I saw some freshly steamed peanuts being displayed in one of the sections so I approached it. I saw the sign and it says 23.00 pesos per 200g. I called the attention of a lady manning the station and asked her to place in a plastic 1 kilo of the peanuts.

The lady was using this metal tumbler as measuring cup and told me that for every scoop, it will come to around 200 grams. I just nodded and asked her to get me 1 kilo worth of the peanuts. PERIOD. When she placed a couple of scoops of the peanuts, she immediately handed it to me with the plastic bag aleady with a sticker marked 23.00 x 5.

Call it instinct or whatever ..... I then requested the lady to put the bag of peanuts in one of the scales so I can get a reading. I wasnt sure why, but she was hesitant at first in going to scales which is just on the other station. (probably 5 feet away, maybe the lady was just too lazy) So I had to repeat my request that she place the bag of peanuts on the scale.

Lo and Behold ....... the reading said 800 grams only. I then had to request that they add more peanuts so that it will reflect a 1 kilogram reading. (after all, I was supposedly charged for 1 kilogram)

It may seem like its not much of a big deal (I mean I'm just going to be paying 23.00 pesos in excess) but what if this happened to every customer that buys those peanuts. Heaven forbid if some of the other fresh produce are being sold that way, thats a whole lot of deception (and a whole lot of money) going into the pockets of the owner.

Dapat kinakasuhan ang SM sa ganyan. Kung katulad lang sa tate tong pinas naku malaking danyos ang ibabayad ng SM dyan... :rolleyes:

its 8% of gross sales plus the rental fee.

i should know. i tried approaching SM Southmall when I opened my sandwich business.

i backed out...

its because for a small kiosk:

rental fee is Php 35,000.00 + VAT

you have to pay for the utilities (electric consumption), with separate consumption bill for water used by your crew.

plus 8% of gross sales

tapos ang assumption nung daily sales lang namin is 4000.00 gross.

wala pa dun yung cost of supplies and yung sweldo.

so if you compute:

Gross Sales

4000 * 30 = 120000

less: 39200 (rent, VAT inclusive)

4000 (electricity - estimate)

1500 (water)

23000 (salary of two crews)

57600 (cost of supplies)

9600 (8% royalty to SM)

134,000 (total expenses for the month)

so negative ako ng 14000/month.

wala pa dun yung mga sponsorships and advertisements as stated in this thread.

one more thing sa mga kadupangan netong si henry sy:

- they do not regularize their employees. up to 6 months lang ang tenure.

even the employees/tellers of BDO are receiving less than the average pay compared to their peers at the other banks. i have talked to with an ex-teller from BDO. she only receives 9000/month gross.

ayun, si henry sy ngayon, naka wheel chair na..

ang tuwang tuwa sa SM is yung mga local governments, dahil sa taxes na binabayaran nila. otherwise, small entrepreneurs and small people who are being employed by the SM group are being disadvantaged.

Business is business kaya dapat talagang malumpo na ng tuluyan at maubos na ang lahi ni Henry Sy.. hahahaha.. Anyway, that's how Henry Sy became a business tycoon in our country imagine selling shoes before and now the owner of the biggest mall in Asia.. Ganun din si Bill Gates at kung sino pang mga businessman.. Talagang business lang at walang awa-awa.. :thumbsdownsmiley:

• 2 weeks later...
Business is business kaya dapat talagang malumpo na ng tuluyan at maubos na ang lahi ni Henry Sy.. hahahaha.. Anyway, that's how Henry Sy became a business tycoon in our country imagine selling shoes before and now the owner of the biggest mall in Asia.. Ganun din si Bill Gates at kung sino pang mga businessman.. Talagang business lang at walang awa-awa.. :thumbsdownsmiley:

Bill Gates became what he is today by jumping the gun on other software developers; he saw that the PC could be a common household appliance and piggybacked on IBM's hardware to sell MS-Dos and Windows to the world. Talino at foresight tawag dun. Etong si Henry Sy, dinadaan sa palakihan ng titi. He knows no other mall (even those of the Ayalas) come close to him in terms of market drawing power, so he does things like:

a) requiring you to open a BDO account when you're an SM supplier

B) monopolizing all mineral water/LPG sales sa foodcourt or restos (try asking anyone who's tried to sell these things to SM's tenants)

c) charging boutiques for public areas outside their stores (ie., yung corridor sa labas ng store mo may bayad din yon, it's already factored into the rent--this came from someone I know at SM HQ)

d) forcing new prospective tenants to buy point-of-sales (POS) systems from their accredited suppliers. So kung indi ka bumili sa mga "accredited," you will be given all sorts of bullshit about how your cash register, for example, isn't compatible with their servers, etc. A friend of mine who opened a coffee shop at MOA encountered this. When she opted for the SM-accredited supplier, pasok agad ang system. Bullcrap.

Nung Typhoon Ondoy, SM Centerpoint was flooded, including yung supermarket area. SM asked its concessionaires to pay P250,000 each for "repairs and maintenance." T*nginang yan, indi ba dapat yung SM ang magbayad sa mga concessionaires dahil na-damage yung tinda from a mall that wasn't flood-proofed? F&ck Henry Sy. All the other mall owners are no less blame-worthy. Mall owners are the modern-day haciendero.

Bill Gates became what he is today by jumping the gun on other software developers; he saw that the PC could be a common household appliance and piggybacked on IBM's hardware to sell MS-Dos and Windows to the world. Talino at foresight tawag dun. Etong si Henry Sy, dinadaan sa palakihan ng titi. He knows no other mall (even those of the Ayalas) come close to him in terms of market drawing power, so he does things like:

Sir pagka-alam ko maliit lang ang titi nitong si Henry Sy at hindi pa tumatayo... Hehehe... Unless you didn't mean it literaly.

Nung Typhoon Ondoy, SM Centerpoint was flooded, including yung supermarket area. SM asked its concessionaires to pay P250,000 each for "repairs and maintenance." T*nginang yan, indi ba dapat yung SM ang magbayad sa mga concessionaires dahil na-damage yung tinda from a mall that wasn't flood-proofed? F&ck Henry Sy. All the other mall owners are no less blame-worthy. Mall owners are the modern-day haciendero.

Kaya nga nung typhoon Pepeng na binaha yung Pangasinan at nalubog sa baha yung SM sa dagupan tuwang-tuwa kame noong nabalitaan namen na nirunsack nung mga nastranded na tao dun ang mga paninda ng SM eh... Ikaw ba naman sa swapang nitong SM ayaw pang magbigay ng libreng pagkain nstranded na nga mga tao.. :thumbsdownsmiley:

Actually Henry Sy is not selling any item sa Mall nya kc nagpapa rent lang sya ng space sa mga tenant at concessionare. Pro bilib na bilib sila sa kanya dahil marami daw syang naipu put up na business na additional

employment daw pro halos 10% lang ang regular sa admin nila. Parang mga fastfood yan like jolibee,mcdo,chowking

wala rin mga regular employees. Tapos magiging best manage company or me mga awards pa mga hayop na yan.

sa bagay me direct karma yan kc pag di stable ang salary ng mga workers ang spending di rin stable. Kung di dahil lang sa mga OFW na nagbibigay sa mga naiwan na pamilya dito ng remittance di bebenta yang mga yan. isipin mo nga naman pag bigay ng tatay or ate mo galing tate di pinaghirapan madaling gastusin. Nakikinabang naman si Mr Sy.

Yan rent business nya controlled ni Mr Sy ang rental amount kesyo marami nagpapalamig sa mall nya. Dapat iboycott natin yan mga yan para di na umasenso pa. Gaya ng ginawa ni mahatma gandhi sa textile business ng british sa india dati.

Maka singit na nga po mga bossing. As far as i know here in the country the richer the controller. SM Group are one of those suckers who tend to monopolize their business.

on the positive side, SM managed to reaches their own capacity in mall business thus, created other ventures (you name it)

Negative: supliers, manpower and other vendors who occupy and work for them are the the most affected on what SM created.

Maiba lang: If the govt sees what has to be seen, I think there will be no more monopolation of so called "Panggugulang"

Naisapan lang.

• 2 weeks later...

1. be like in the province, di makapalag ang SM, malakas lang sila dito sa manila

2. go "primative", wet markets and tiangge

3. more players, support and more underground economy for the poor ( look at what dvd did to the theaters though)

" PARA LAHAT MAGING AY ANAK NG DIYOS B)

In fairness to SM .... their business practices can be construed as SHREWD as in parang siya na lang ang may karapatan KUMITA ....

.. simple lang naman kung AYAW eh di HUWAG ... kung GUSTO ... SUMUNOD

believe me there are so many "unfair" rules SM has imposed

example : permanent percentage of BAD ORDERS on your items ... para hindi na kwentahin ung dami ng mga RETURNS, or DAMAGED GOODS ... SM Will assume x% of your items as BO ...

Hindi mo nga lang pwede kunin pa ung mga BO ... GOD only knows kung meron na BO or wala ... kung meron man eh di naibenta na

If you do not agree to this BO policy, SM will impose Bad Orders on your items and he will assure you that it will be more than x% ....

Mamili ka na lang sa devil or the deep blue sea or sa iba mo na lang ibenta yung items mo

And of course there are many rules that for the common tao's perception is unfair

As for SM ... we individuals and companies set how much we pay for SM's POPULARITY ... for reasons known and unknown .... PEOPLE go to SM... as in floods of people

Ehto HOLY WEEK nanaman ... there will be days that the SM MALLS are closed .... and wait until you see when it opens after ... People are waiting in LINE ...geee

In short, sikat si SM dahil din sa pag-papatronize ng mga tao ... Ngayon at sikat na sya naturamente lang na sumingil ng mahal ... after all mahirap i-maintain ang kasikatan

Parang ganito lang yan :

If getting ARA MINA in BED will cost you 250K

while compared to a PSP in MTC that will cost only 2.5K

masasabi mo bang unfair si ARA MINA?

hehehe i believe we all here know the answer

Maka singit na nga po mga bossing. As far as i know here in the country the richer the controller. SM Group are one of those suckers who tend to monopolize their business.

on the positive side, SM managed to reaches their own capacity in mall business thus, created other ventures (you name it)

Negative: supliers, manpower and other vendors who occupy and work for them are the the most affected on what SM created.

Maiba lang: If the govt sees what has to be seen, I think there will be no more monopolation of so called "Panggugulang"

Naisapan lang.

Having said the above .... You are right ... we may all need ung Anti-trust law...

Edited by lomex32

why do people prefer sm? because of the convenience. though experienced manufacturers are now avoiding sm because of the headaches, many blokes are still lined up for the k*ll since they need the popularity of being in an sm mall. mostly these are the upcoming brands. until such a time that it has reached its saturation point wherein it would not be financially feasible for the manufacturers, the business practices of sm will continue to control these industries.t

as for people lining up for sm, there are just too many suckers. or is unemloyment rate already that high?

if ara mina cost 250k, i will just go to macau for a 15k russian

why do people prefer sm? because of the convenience. though experienced manufacturers are now avoiding sm because of the headaches, many blokes are still lined up for the k*ll since they need the popularity of being in an sm mall. mostly these are the upcoming brands. until such a time that it has reached its saturation point wherein it would not be financially feasible for the manufacturers, the business practices of sm will continue to control these industries.t

as for people lining up for sm, there are just too many suckers. or is unemloyment rate already that high?

if ara mina cost 250k, i will just go to macau for a 15k russian

I'll just go to Africa for a Zimbabwean $50 chick.. Hahaha.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Hayup na SM yan yung bag ko na nawala sa baggage counter nila ... ang tgal bayaran kung hindi mo idedemanda di k babayaran ... mga hinayupak!

Kaya pala wala ng Colgate at Palmolive baka nagkaonsehan ... hehehe sabagay buy pinoy rin ako .. walang work force dito ang colgate and palmolive.

buti na lng yung Company namin di nag rerely ke SM ...