• Please log in to reply
379 replies to this topic

#1 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,435 posts
  • Interests:music, travel lit, anything cerebral but i also get down and dirty.

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:22 PM

Dunno if this would fly but what the heck! :P

I'm opening a thread for any blues music afficionado out there.
Here we can share blues talk, blues music, blues albums (let's share what we got), any upcoming local blues gigs we can catch, local blues acts, blues history etc....

As Gary Moore sings I still got the blues, for you................

Lovers of blues, come forth! B)

#2 cruesome

cruesome

More Than A Feeling

• (09) Manic Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • Interests:zeroes and ones

Posted 16 August 2005 - 10:05 PM

i love gary moore :)

i'm into weirdo blues rock+blues glam+blues a la slash cinderella, acdc, poson, este poison. of course eric clapton

#3 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12,435 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 07:32 PM

i love gary moore :)

i'm into weirdo blues rock+blues glam+blues a la slash cinderella, acdc, poson, este poison. of course eric clapton

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah pare that sounds weird enough. If I may what is blues glam - I'm not that familiar with it :)

matindi si Gary Moore...I can keep playing Still Got The Blues over and over again, especially when I'm feeling low...I have a live version of it and wow! his solo was longer and more cutting that it could slice a deep chunk of your heart and shred your emotions to bits when you listen to it in a really depressed mood.......

Edited by bods1000, 17 August 2005 - 07:36 PM.

#4 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12,435 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 07:44 PM

In case 16track wanders off in this thread, here is a partial listing of songs and the guest artists in John Mayall's 2001 (?) album ALONG FOR THE RIDE:

Yo Yo Men - features the entire crew of the old Fleetwood Mac - Mick Fleetwood on drums, John Mcvie
on bass, and the GREAT Peter Green on guitar :thumbsupsmiley:

If I Don't Get Home - Gary Moore on guitar

A World of Hurt - Jeff Healey on guitar

Put It Right Back - Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top on guitars

So Many Roads - Otis Rush on vocals

She Don't Play By the Rules - Mick Taylor (!) on guitar

All in all a really cool and superb album which surprises me everytime I listen to it. It was only by chance that I got to see a lonely cassette tape of it several years ago! Been looking for a CD of it pero wala akong makita talaga.....

#5 cruesome

cruesome

More Than A Feeling

• (09) Manic Poster
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 09:02 PM

yeah pare that sounds weird enough. If I may what is blues glam - I'm not that familiar with it :)

matindi si Gary Moore...I can keep playing Still Got The Blues over and over again, especially when I'm feeling low...I have a live version of it and wow! his solo was longer and more cutting that it could slice a deep chunk of your heart and shred your emotions to bits when you listen to it in a really depressed mood.......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

my friend's would tell me "di ba pare yan yung madalas sa mga beer houses :)" they are referring to santana's "europa" nangingiti lang ako. grabe sarap na sarap ako pakinggan si gary moore lalo na when i'm BEERing alone hahaha.

errr.... blues glam? no such genre, am actually, i'm referring to those glam rockers heavily influenced by blues. in other words they are hair bands :)

take Slash for example, a lot of guns n roses followers simply hated his solo effort "it's five oclock somewhere" coz it's mostly blues.

di ako nagsasawa sa still got the blues, tsaka empty rooms among others.

chuck berry is also awesome.

#6 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12,435 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 09:25 PM

my friend's would tell me "di ba pare yan yung madalas sa mga beer houses :)" they are referring to santana's "europa" nangingiti lang ako. grabe sarap na sarap ako pakinggan si gary moore lalo na when i'm BEERing alone hahaha.

errr.... blues glam? no such genre, am actually, i'm referring to those glam rockers heavily influenced by blues. in other words they are hair bands :)

take Slash for example, a lot of guns n roses followers simply hated his solo effort "it's five oclock somewhere" coz it's mostly blues.

di ako nagsasawa sa still got the blues, tsaka empty rooms among others.

chuck berry is also awesome.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hahaha!
but Europa is also some kind of blues number, would you agree? saka how can they mistake Europa for Still Got the Blues eh wala namang lyrics yung Europa :P but it's all good pare - both songs make really great companions for when you're all alone with some stiff drink in hand...

ok I get what you mean. But Slash is also one hell of a guitar fiend - nahalo lang siya kina Axl sa G & R but otherwise I think he would have made one hell of a blues guitarist - if he had the talent to compose songs...

Parissiene Walkways is also a good listen, pare...

Edited by bods1000, 17 August 2005 - 09:27 PM.

#7 cruesome

cruesome

More Than A Feeling

• (09) Manic Poster
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 09:46 PM

hahaha!
but Europa is also some kind of blues number, would you agree? saka how can they mistake Europa for Still Got the Blues eh wala namang lyrics yung Europa :P but it's all good pare - both songs make really great companions for when you're all alone with some stiff drink in hand...

ok I get what you mean. But Slash is also one hell of a guitar fiend - nahalo lang siya kina Axl sa G & R but otherwise I think he would have made one hell of a blues guitarist - if he had the talent to compose songs...

Parissiene Walkways is also a good listen, pare...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hehe, di kilala ng mga bopol kong prends si gary moore, familiar riffs lang siguro. as to santana, i think i would brand him as blues as well.

aside from gary moore's "out in the fields" album, walang tapon sakin yung wild frontier album.

cool din song writing ni slash tsaka the former gnr axeman izzy stradlin is also into blues.

anyways, talagang masarap sa alcohol ang blues especially pag medyo ngongo ka na, no hard lyrics to sing/hum along :boo:

stevie ray vaugn is also on my list.

#8 16track

16track

Lover

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 07:52 AM

Finally a home for all of us who love the BLUES!

Thanks Bods for opening the thread. ! :boo:

Sometimes in the mid-60's, Santana first started out as the Santana Blues Band. As he expanded his horizon, Carlos evolved to being Devadip and then later on--just Santana.

Santana's guitar playing--while heavy on his Latin heritage and spirituality--is still very much based on the blues. In interviews, Carlos Santana never fails to mention his love for the genre and it's pioneers. He has taken all his influences and added his Latin flair to create a sound that is without a doubt--his very own.

This particular Latin and Spiritual flavor of Santana's songs are what makes it obviously palatable to many Filipinos. Europa is one hell of a melodic masterpiece that showcases Santana's mastery of the minor and major pentatonics while adding a mode here and there. Guitar lovers know this song that they can actually sing it if there's no guitar available. The beerhouses played it like crazy. Same case with Samba Pati--- whose melody almost anybody who knows the song can sing the notes.

At the end of it all, disection of the songs reveal an obvious parentage--- the Blues.

He narrated that when asked how Louie Armstrong manages to come out with such beautiful and inspiring improv solos, the Trumpet Meister replied:

"Well.. I just close my eyes and imagine a tree with notes as its fruits. I just look around and pick out the notes that looked ripe for pickin"

Whoa! Some heavy stuff there as he makes its sound so easy. --but then again, the blues is never easy to play despite what others may think.

Edited by 16track, 18 August 2005 - 07:59 AM.

#9 16track

16track

Lover

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 09:00 AM

:D Hahah! Bods!

That was really a good description of how you feel when "Still Got the Blues" comes into play.
I know as I feel the same way each time I put him on the player. Bro, try to get yourself a copy of the Gary Moore Live DVD. He has about 3 in shops now. One has him playing in Europe, the other in Canada and the third in a small bar in the US. The small bar gig was done on purpose as he wanted to be closer with the crowd. Great DVD as his guest star was BB King.

It's still the blues --maybe played differently as Gary Moore has a heavy metal background-- but it is still very much the Blues. Gary Moore was actually the lead guitarist of Thin Lizzy for sometime before he went solo. Shifting gears, Gary Moore played the blues as it was his passion as he was growing up.

According to Gary, as a teenager - he went to a small club with some friends to watch the hottest blues band that time. He was mesmerized by what he saw and what he heard and never forgot that night. The band was John Mayall's Bluesbreakers and the the guitar player was Peter Green who scorched the whole place with some of his finest playing. This is why Gary Moore rejoiced in being able to buy Green's Gibson Les Paul (57 or 58, not sure yet) as it was the same guitar Green played that night!

In an English guitar magazine, the editor comlpimented Moored by saying that " We should all thank Gary Moore for giving bands a new song to add to their nightly song line up"!

I agree!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Edited by 16track, 18 August 2005 - 03:47 PM.

#10 16track

16track

Lover

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 09:36 AM

My all time favorite tracks:

1. SRV -- Texas Flood -- undeniable Guitar Intro

-- The Sky is Crying - scorching blues number. You feel every note of his pain

-- Life By The Drop - Stevie's tale of his drink addiction

-- OPen Arms - Fast paced and Fine example of Texas Blues Shuffle

2. Clapton -- Layla - Eric's tale of his love for Patti -George Harrisson's wife

-- Keys To the Highway -- played duet with Duane Allman in a Jam format that had the
tapes rolling.

-- Have You ever Loved A Woman -- another soujorn into his love for his best friend's wife.

3. Jeff Healey - While my Guitar Gently Weeps -- Abosulutely stirring version of a Beatle's classic. I
have never heard this song played the way he did.

- Angel Eyes -- beautiful and raw ballad. Makes you feel you were in a smoke filled bar

- Can you see the light? - Wonderful use of the Wah Pedal in a blues number.

4. Gary Moore - Still Got The Blues -- as Bods put, it takes a big chunk of your heart away!

- Parissiene Walkways -- Very melodic lines. Almost feels like you're having an affair
in Paris and this was the background track!

5. Santana - Black Magic Woman -- although I also like the original by Peter Green

- Europa -- Deep emotions run through this classic!

- She's not There --- Reall burning lines fore the solo. His tone on this song is excellent!

- Flor D' Luna -- Fine example of Carlos playing with the latin flavor

- Stormy -- undeniably Carlos all the way.

6. BB King - 3 O'Clock Blues - Classic King guitar playing

- The Thrill is Gone - The ultimate King crossover

7. Ray Charles - Georgia on My Mind -- What Can I say? Ray Charles can blow anyone away!

- Song For You -- classic rendition of a Leon Russel number

8. OTHERS:

- Louie Armstrong
- Ella Fitzgerald (more on the jazzy blues side)
- Billie Holiday
- Lightning Hopkins
- John Lee Hooker
- Freddie King
- Albert King
- Albert Collins
- George Thorogood and the Destr0yers -- PLayed the sojndtrack in the movie " Christine" specially
the song "Bad to the Bone"!

What are yours? :cool:

#11 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12,435 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 03:29 PM

WHOA!!!
pareng 16track - so you're finally here!!!

cheers! cheers!

now that's some nifty faves you have there. Funny thing I was just listening to BB King's 3 o' Clock Blues just this morning as I was driving :lol:

...and it's three o' clock hehehe. well I have to compose a more decent reply to your posts later on as I have to pretend to be busy :cool:

thanks pare for dropping by!

EB na!

#12 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12,435 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 10:59 PM

hehe, di kilala ng mga bopol kong prends si gary moore, familiar riffs lang siguro. as to santana, i think i would brand him as blues as well.

aside from gary moore's "out in the fields" album, walang tapon sakin yung wild frontier album.

cool din song writing ni slash tsaka the former gnr axeman izzy stradlin is also into blues.

anyways, talagang masarap sa alcohol ang blues especially pag medyo ngongo ka na, no hard lyrics to sing/hum along  :boo:

stevie ray vaugn is also on my list.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

pare your friends can never be bopol if they recognize Santana's Europa :P confused lang siguro..

I gotta check out those albums you mentioned - you seem to be really heavy on Gary Moore. Thanks pare!

where's Izzy stradlin now?

yeah I can relate to that masarap sa alcohol. With five beers on me or 4 glasses of wine, I find the blues hypnotic to the point that I can unconsciously nod my head to the beat as I listen to it...

Sayang walang purely blues bar dito - people doesn't realize that blues is good music with alcohol already pulsing in your bloodstream :P

#13 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12,435 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 11:11 PM

To continue 16tracks listing of faves, here are my favorite blues songs, as in, these are the songs I wanna listen to RIGHT NOW :P

Stevie Ray VAughn - from his Texas Flood album

Mary Had a Little Lamb - this song always perks me up in the morning. It's amazing what SRV can do to a time-worn lullaby. In the liner notes, he said he dedicated this song to his small son "Little Robin".
It kinda makes me wistful to think that Stevie had to leave his son, as well as all of us, so early..........sayang talaga...

Lenny - I think he dedicated this to Lenny Bruce. The very liquid notes emanating from his guitar seems to drip right into my pores.

Jeff Beck - from Blow By Blow

Cause We've Ended as Lovers - the long drawn-out notes from his guitar seems to painfully stretch whatever longing I had for some lost times with some lost lovers

#14 16track

16track

Lover

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 07:54 AM

Bods! Great choices!

Mary Had a Little Lamb was originally done by none other than blues legend Buddy Guy. That guitar introduction was very typical of Buddy Guy-- forceful and definitely grooved. Stevie followed the careers of many pioneers -- one of them was Buddy who now remains of the driving forces of Chicago style blues echoing the efforts of Muddy Watersure in popularizing the genre.

SRV's Lenny is a very beautiful piece. I originally also thought that Stevie might have done the song for Lenny Bruce but I was wrong as it turns out, Lenny was SRV's first wife.

Pare... Jeff Beck's Cause We Ended As Lovers remains a rite of passage for those into Jeff's type of blues. The song is a sweet mixture of all the elements which make Beck one of the true masters of the guitar. Haunting Volume Swells done by hand and not by effects, the bite and snap of fingers and not with a guitar pick, the precise bends, the somewhat dissonant melody, the the absolute note on pitch employed as part of the melody and not as an effect... I could go on and on....

Jeff Beck stands alone in this type of fusion blues.

THIS WEEK's RECOMMENDED VIDEO:

STEVIE RAY VAUGHN -LIVE AT AUSTIN CITY LIMITS

The disk conctains two concerts--The very first appearance of SRV at Austin City Limits show. The other one shows him in his second and last appearance as he died shortly thereafter.

Some highlights: Voodoo Chile -- he played this Hendrix song as no one else can.
Couldn't Stand the Weather - SRV classic
TightRope--- SRV at his best

:D

To continue 16tracks listing of faves, here are my favorite blues songs, as in, these are the songs I wanna listen to RIGHT NOW :P

Stevie Ray VAughn - from his Texas Flood album

Mary Had a Little Lamb - this song always perks me up in the morning. It's amazing what SRV can do to a time-worn lullaby. In the liner notes, he said he dedicated this song to his small son "Little Robin".
It kinda makes me wistful to think that Stevie had to leave his son, as well as all of us, so early..........sayang talaga...

Lenny - I think he dedicated this to Lenny Bruce. The very liquid notes emanating from his guitar seems to drip right into my pores.

Jeff Beck - from Blow By Blow

Cause We've Ended as Lovers - the long drawn-out notes from his guitar seems to painfully stretch whatever longing I had for some lost times with some lost lovers

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Edited by 16track, 19 August 2005 - 07:58 AM.

#15 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12,435 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 11:59 AM

Bods! Great choices!

Mary Had a Little Lamb was originally done by none other than blues legend Buddy Guy. That guitar introduction was very typical of Buddy Guy-- forceful and definitely grooved. Stevie followed the careers of many pioneers -- one of them was Buddy who now remains of the driving forces of Chicago style blues echoing the efforts of Muddy Watersure in popularizing the genre.

SRV's Lenny is a very beautiful piece. I originally also thought that  Stevie might have done the song for Lenny Bruce but I was wrong as it turns out, Lenny was SRV's first wife.

Pare... Jeff Beck's Cause We Ended As Lovers remains a rite of passage for those into Jeff's type of blues. The song is a sweet mixture of all the elements which make Beck one of the true masters of the guitar. Haunting Volume Swells done by hand and not by effects, the bite and snap of fingers and not with a guitar pick, the precise bends, the somewhat dissonant melody, the the absolute note on pitch employed as part of the melody and not as an effect... I could go on and on....

Jeff Beck stands alone in this type of fusion blues.
THIS WEEK's RECOMMENDED VIDEO:

STEVIE RAY VAUGHN -LIVE AT AUSTIN CITY LIMITS

The disk conctains two concerts--The very first appearance of SRV at Austin City Limits show. The other one shows him in his second and last appearance as he died shortly thereafter.

Some highlights: Voodoo Chile -- he played this Hendrix song as no one else can.
                        Couldn't Stand the Weather - SRV classic
                        TightRope--- SRV at his best

:D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes pare I was wrong too - Lenny was his wife..

I first heard that song by Jeff Beck in the 70's and I have been hooked ever since. I also love Definitely Maybe but Cause We've Ended As Lovers I think has stood the test of time for me, as far as favorites go...

pare where can I get those videos you mentioned?

I remember Austin City Limits - back in the 70's these concert snippets were being shown in the dead hours of the afternoon in the old Channel 9. I think that's where I caught a performance by Johhny Winter. Also in the same channel at around this time was IN Concert and that's where I enjoyed many a lazy afternoon in the 70's watching Steely Dan perform Reelin' IN the Years and those old Bachman Turner Overdrive gigs...

#16 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12,435 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 12:23 PM

Finally a home for all of us who love the BLUES!

Thanks Bods for opening the thread. ! :boo:
Sometimes in the mid-60's, Santana first started out as the Santana Blues Band. As he expanded his horizon, Carlos evolved to being Devadip and then later on--just Santana.

Santana's guitar playing--while heavy on his Latin heritage and spirituality--is still very much based on the blues. In interviews, Carlos Santana never fails to mention his love for the genre and it's pioneers. He has taken all his influences and added his Latin flair to create a sound that is without a doubt--his very own.

This particular Latin and Spiritual flavor of Santana's songs are what makes it obviously palatable to many Filipinos. Europa is one hell of a melodic masterpiece that showcases Santana's mastery of the minor and major pentatonics while adding a mode here and there. Guitar lovers know this song that they can actually sing it if there's no guitar available. The beerhouses played it like crazy. Same case with Samba Pati--- whose melody almost anybody who knows the song can sing the notes.

At the end of it all, disection of the songs reveal an obvious parentage--- the Blues.

He narrated that when asked how Louie Armstrong manages to come out with such beautiful and inspiring improv solos, the Trumpet Meister replied:

"Well.. I just close my eyes and imagine a tree with notes as its fruits. I just look around and pick out the notes that looked ripe for pickin"

Whoa! Some heavy stuff there as he makes its sound so easy. --but then again, the blues is never easy to play despite what others may think.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks pare!
I opened the thread so that we can discuss the blues without being off-topic :P
But as it is, there's already a reggae thread, a heavymetal thread, pop/contemporary thread, a so-called jazz thread and what-have-you. Nothing on something called the blues.

I know only a few out there would be familiar with this type of music and I hope they do find their way here. I intend to make this a forum where we can share and discuss our favorite artists and blues songs. I haven't myself been hooked on the blues for a long time, and then it's on and off, maybe because you can't hear blues on regular airplay and albums are not that widely available. I also don't play the guitar that well and it is through how 16track dissects the songs re their guitar playing that I get to appreciate the music more.

I also hope that whatever handful of fanatics get to participate in the forum that we can get together, maybe over some drinks, and bring our own blues selections and listen to them. Given the absence of venues that play the blues, I think that such a get-together would be one hell of a good time!!!

There's also the possibility that with the technology we have now, we can copy and share whatever rarities we have and which we would like to have. Isn't that some food for thought? :P

I think the more you listen to the blues, the more you get hooked because the music, by its very origins, speaks of the soul and its despondency and needs. If you get to think that the very first blues songs originated from the chants and hollers of lonely Negro slaves calling out to each other in some vast Southern plantation, you might get the point.

The blues has evolved from those simple hollers to string-harmonica ditties in sweltering juke joints to these electric guitar-bass-drum ensembles and how it eventually influenced modern rock but to me it has remained a very personal music that can talk with me and understand me in my confusing jangle of emotions...

#17 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12,435 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 12:32 PM

pareng 16track - did Santana do a purely blues album?

Santana is that one-of-a-kind musician the way he recognized that Latin influences could be melded to the blues and create that magical music of which he has become famous for. Nobody else has that voice. In fact he can junk his pop sensibilities now and morph into a purely blues player without losing a step and still be respected and admired.

I remember his Blues For Salvador as one hell of a reminder that he deserves a place up there besides all those the blues greats.

#18 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12,435 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 12:46 PM

:D Hahah! Bods!

That was really a good description of how you feel when "Still Got the Blues" comes into play.
I know as I feel the same way each time I put him on the player. Bro, try to get yourself a copy of the Gary Moore Live DVD. He has about 3 in shops now. One has him playing in Europe, the other in Canada and the third in a small bar in the US. The small bar gig was done on purpose as he wanted to be closer with the crowd. Great DVD as his guest star was BB King.

It's still the blues --maybe played differently as Gary Moore has a heavy metal background-- but it is still very much the Blues. Gary Moore was actually the lead guitarist of Thin Lizzy for sometime before he went solo. Shifting gears, Gary Moore played the blues as it was his passion as he was growing up.

According to Gary, as a teenager - he went to a small club with some friends to watch the hottest blues band that time. He was mesmerized by what he saw and what he heard and never forgot that night. The band was John Mayall's Bluesbreakers and the the guitar player was Peter Green who scorched the whole place with some of his finest playing. This is why Gary Moore rejoiced in being able to buy Green's Gibson Les Paul (57 or 58, not sure yet) as it was the same guitar Green played that night!

In an English guitar magazine, the editor comlpimented Moored by saying that " We should all thank Gary Moore for giving bands a new song to add to their nightly song line up"! 

I agree!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

pare again, where can I get my hands on these Gary Moore videos? Matagal mo na bang nabili yang mga yan? Malas ko naman baka wala na mga yan...

I think Gary Moore also had a stint with Skid Row. Most people criticize Gary Moore for the way he sings - that he has no cachet as a blues singer but you should realize that the songs he sings are really difficult to pull off. I know that for a fact. One time I sang Still Got The Blues in some karaoke bar and boy!!! naglabasan lahat ng litid ko sa leeg :lol: :upside: :sick:

If he was the one who composed Still Got The Blues and [i]Parissiene Walkways
, then he really is on hell of a musical artist...

#19 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12,435 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 01:00 PM

My all time favorite tracks:

1. SRV -- Texas Flood -- undeniable Guitar Intro

-- The Sky is Crying - scorching blues number. You feel every note of his pain

-- Life By The Drop - Stevie's tale of his drink addiction

-- OPen Arms - Fast paced and Fine example of Texas Blues Shuffle
2. Clapton -- Layla  - Eric's tale of his love for Patti -George Harrisson's wife

-- Keys To the Highway -- played duet with Duane Allman in a Jam format that had the
                                                      tapes rolling.

-- Have You ever Loved A Woman -- another soujorn into his love for his best friend's wife.
3. Jeff Healey - While my Guitar Gently Weeps -- Abosulutely stirring version of a Beatle's classic. I
                                                                      have never heard this song played the way he did.

- Angel Eyes -- beautiful and raw ballad. Makes you feel you were in a smoke filled bar

- Can you see the light?  - Wonderful use of the Wah Pedal in a blues number.
4. Gary Moore - Still Got The Blues -- as Bods put, it takes a big chunk of your heart  away!

- Parissiene Walkways  -- Very melodic lines. Almost feels like you're having an affair 
                                                            in Paris and this was the background track!

5. Santana - Black Magic Woman -- although I also like the original by Peter Green

- Europa  -- Deep emotions run through this classic!

- She's not There --- Reall burning lines fore the solo. His tone on this song is excellent!

- Flor D' Luna  -- Fine example of Carlos playing with the latin flavor

- Stormy -- undeniably Carlos all the way.
6. BB King - 3 O'Clock Blues - Classic King guitar playing

- The Thrill is Gone - The ultimate King crossover
7. Ray Charles  - Georgia on My Mind -- What Can I say? Ray Charles can blow anyone away!

- Song For You -- classic rendition of a Leon Russel number
8. OTHERS:

- Louie Armstrong
- Ella Fitzgerald  (more on the jazzy blues side)
- Billie Holiday
- Lightning Hopkins
- John Lee Hooker
- Freddie King
- Albert King
- Albert Collins
- George Thorogood and the Destr0yers -- PLayed the sojndtrack in the movie " Christine" specially   
                                                              the song "Bad to the Bone"!

What are yours? :cool:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I love your choices, pare, and all the artists you mentioned. Makes me wanna ransack record stores and Bobby's vinyl shop in Makati Cinema Square right now!!! hehehe

I went to Bobby's store yesterday but I could have been too early as it was still closed at 12 noon. But on the window I could see LP's by BB King, Savoy Brown, Albert Collins, Lightnin' Hopkins.....boy gusto ko nang wasakin yung salamin :P well I couldn't wait for it to open as I still had work to catch but I have greenlighted a trip there next week bringing lotsa moolah... :thumbsupsmiley:

what happened to George Thorogood and the Destroyers? Wala na ba silang bagong album ngayon?
Are they Texas blues rockers too? I love The Fabulous Thunderbirds and ZZ Top :P

Of course The Three Kings - BB King, Albert King, Freddie King! I have an album each of Albert and Freddy and I should unearth it again and give them a spin...

I don't have anything from Jeff Healey. Think there's some CD available in stores now? I think I heard While My Guitar Gently Weeps on the radio a long time ago. By your description it makes me wanna look for a copy of that....

#20 16track

16track

Lover

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 04:41 PM

Bods!

I bought my cDVD opies of all these blues artists at MetroWalk along Meralco Avenue. Dami don. Just be sure to check each store as they have different line ups. SRV, Gary Moore, Clapton, Hendrix, BB King, Ray CHarles and others are available there.

I feel guilty buying pirated copies but there are none available in any music or video shop.

The EB or get together you have is alright with me. We can share CDs and get them burned.

For your pleasure, I have a 4 CD Box set of artists from Lightning Hopkins, Billie Holiday, John Lee Hooker, BB King ( when he was younger ), T-Bone Walker, Willie Dixon. It's an original CD.

Let me know where we can do this.

I'll bring my guitar so we can alos jam a little. I also have a few bottles of red that I can bring along.

Cheers! :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users