How Do Filipinos View Balikbayans?

Nostalgia? That is why we have the problems Americans with Filipino blood enjoy ranting about. Things have changed. You can certianly us "PI" (in my colloquial lexicon it is an abbrev for a favorite street expression that refers to the kind of mother some people might have) whenever you converse with your ilk.

In public, with 21st century Filipinos in the Philippines? That's like using the "N" word when you do not have the skin color to give you the right to use it. It is a pejorative, a put down, a drawback to the days when the Philippines was seen as a colonial backwater, when post world war 2 Filipinos still dreamt of a cushy life in the land of milk and honey where the streets are paved with gold for as long as you say yessir to every white man.

Go ahead and use PI. You have the freedom to. But Use it within earshot and I invoke my freedom to bite your head off and put you in your place.

My ilk? What's my ilk? Have we even met that you can say that? Oh yes, PI. Now that's within earshot (can't you hear it?). So bite my head off and put me in my place. After all these years, I'm still trying to figure out "my place." The help of Your Highness would be deeply appreciated. But please, Your Highness, be careful with the head you actually bite off. I've grown particularly attached to one of them.

Edited by jt2003
Guest Leviticus

Looks like there are a few ruffled feathers with regards to this topic.

For me the greatest spite about balikbayans is simply that their presence is not here. No matter how advanced communication technology becomes nothing still beats being physically present.

Not all of us here can afford to go abroad; some of us have opted to simply stay here for reasons that vary with each individual.

It is becoming a bit lonely here in the Philippines (for me) because some of my family already went there, majority of my close friends are already immigrants to other countries. The hard thing to deal with is going on with one's life without their presence.

The perception of the balikbayan, therefore, is "bakit ngayon ka lang?" Parang "where were you during the good and the bad times, during special occasions, during holidays?". Sure, us guys na naiwan here can get by with the occasional greeting or mail (email for that matter); we also have our own lives to live.

Nothing beats the separation from people that you know.

Di nyo ba napansin that balikbayans only come back to the Philippines when someone dies? Other occasions (ie birthdays, christmas, weddings, holidays) kung nataon lang na nandito sa country saka sila pupunta.

We can miss our balikbayan family and friends to the point that we do not miss them anymore. Ano gagawin namin susundan namin sa ibang bansa?

Setting aside the ruffled feathers, perhaps what is difficult to take is the tone (overtones or undertones) of condescension from some of our well-meaning Balikbayan brethren. Often, I sense an unstated postscript to comments that feel like "Ang tanga-tanga mo naman, bakit ka nagtitiyaga dito ... Mas qualified o mas magaling ka naman sa akin, bakit ka pa kasi nagtratrabaho para sa barya, eh puede ka namang kumita ng doll-ers (that sounds like it) sa States ..." etc.

Do others have that same sense? Mind you, I do not get that from total strangers; mostly these would come from cousins and aunts who visit

it will be nice if many would put their money where their mouths are. invest

and put up businesses here, manage them using the skills they aquired while

abroad. they can rant and complain, but at least they are contributing to the

upliftment of our economy and creating jobs. to those balikbayans who are

already doing this, kudos to you.

Why do you lump yourself in with "balikbayans"? If you were born in the US or were raised there from an age too early to make you have memories of the Philippines, you are not a balikbayan. You are an American tourist in the Philippines. You may have brown skin. You may have some Filipino sounding surname. But that does not make you a Filipino. It doesn;t even make you a balikbayan.

A balikbayan is an ex-Filipino who has chosen to immigrate to some foreign land and who has found the means (and perhaps the psychological need) to visit the country he left. Up to this point, I brook no quarrel with tourists or balikbayans. But when they complain and compare what they see here against the better system they claim to have "there" then we part ways. That's like me saying that American foreign policy sucks. I have no right to say so and Americans would certianly take umbrage if they heard me.

Don't think being critical is the same as being outspoken. We do that here too. You can be outspoken and still act like a proper guest. Which you are. Cross the line and you over extend your welcome.

Easy cowgirl...you don't have to loose any sleep over this...haha

I sense your passion for the country but take it for what it is. No need to shoot people down for their differences due to their experiences in life. Just chill... :cool: :evil:

Well at least I know how a few Filipinos view balikbayans now...especially Boomouse. :thumbsupsmiley: At least we know that Boomouse can view her opinions out to everyone.

Everyone has a right to get angry at so called "Filipinos" like me. I was born in the Philippines and left there when I was 1 1/2 years old. Came back when I was 19 (1991) and I'll be honest with all of you, it was terrible, the worst experience I ever had...food poisoning. Thought I was going to die in the Philippines. It was my first impression of the Philippines. But you know, I said to myself, "I should watch what I eat cause the Philippines aint bad at all." So I came back again (1999). Hell, it was another bad experience with the homeless children begging for money. They pulled on my shirt, stepped on my shoes...terrible. I asked myself, "What is the government doing about homeless children?" The third time (2001) I visited the Philippines, this ex-girlfriend treated me like trash. She greeted me with a middle finger and thought of it as a joke. Well first impressions do count and I wondered what was the Philippines changing into. Fourth time (2004) I went to the Philippines, I saw too much. Another ex-girlfriend in the Philippines treated me like I was some sort of moneypot...basically I paid for everything she wanted. I thought to myself, "Do Filipino's in the Philippines think Balikbayans are rich?" Dang, I'm fricken poor after that trip. Then I told myself, "Ok, I'm going to take one more trip to the Philippines, fifth and last time. If this trip is another bad experience, I wouldn't want to step foot ever in my motherland again." So I came back this year (2005). And you know what? I really enjoyed it. I got to experience going all over the places in Luzon, from Isabella, Manila, Cagayan Valley, Pangasinan, and Laoag City. Beautiful country. Even though I did my best to spend money there and invest in those who have dreams of having their own shops or businesses, I admire the people that can also give back what they can to Balikbayans. We all need each other to survive from Balikbayans sending money home or stimulating the economy. What if we didn't come back at all to the Philippines because of all the bad experiences that people say about the Philippines. It is damaging but I refused to believe that. My friends that went back said that it is a dirty country filled with pollution and crime. I guess I know where they got these conclusions but there is the better and beautiful side to the Philippines. I can take advantage of the Philippines if I wanted to or I can choose to be just a normal human being and just enjoy the sites and sounds of what Philippines has to offer. So people in the Philippines can choose what is the outcome of someone like me visiting there. I can get extremely sick or I can be proud to be a Filipino. Everyone needs to clean up their attitudes and habits cause I can see a great future for the Philippines.

I give credit for those who live in the Philippines cause it's rated the second most corrupt governments in the world. Number one is Vietnam.

yo! boomouse. be cool dude. don't be no playah-hatah. why you busting our chops for being a bunch of whiners? what the heck did we do to get you all pissed off besides whinin' and gripin'. obviously, you're very patriotic and proud of your status-quo in PI. i'll give you a standing O for that. what i'm trying to say is, instead of bashing your fellow "filipino blood-bothers&sisters" in here...slap em' upside their heads next time you see a whiner and tell em' to cowboy up...they're in your country now. so that they'll know they ain't gettin no luv from you. and whatever grudge you got against us , put a lid on it dude...you got other things to worry about.

later my BROTHER IN BLOOD

The fact that you use the abbrev "PI" to refer to my country already betrays the bias that you grew up with. Don't you know that "PI" is a pejorative? It is a drawback to the days when the great white American colonizers considered the Philippine Islands as a backwater hardship posting.

Balikbayans are the result of darwinian selection. They could not take the environment (political, economic, cultural) of the mother country and decided that they had better move to a different (I don't know about better) place else they perish becuase they are not equipped with the right survival skills.

And then, when they feel that they have somehow managed to establish themselves in their refuge countries, they troop back to my country as if to validate their decision to leave by bitching and complaining about how we prefer to do things. They forget that they couln't really cut it in this country in the first place--that is why they left.

I lived abroad for close to a decade but I turned my back on the foreign exchange, the nice cars, the cool shops because:

1. I wanted to live in a big house that I did not have to clean, with a big yard that I did not have to sweep and tend, eat any kind of food I want without having to cook it myself, take as many showers as I want and as many changes of clothes I want without having to wash and iron them myself. For these, I could afford to hire househelp which even with the optional social security and health insurance, is still affordable.

2. When I step out to the garage the cars will always be washed and waxed and vacuumed.

3. I, my wife, and my kids can decide to go anywhere in the car without having to drive themselves if they do not want to drive.

4. I can eat as well as what Americans eat if I choose to and yet I know where to buy the best lechon, inihaw na bangus, talaba, and sinigang na maliputo that even the most resourceful balikbayan would have a hard time finding in the country he has ran off to.

5. My kids go to nice schools, pass the UP entrance exams with no problem and act responsibly. They keep their word on our deadline agreements and don't answer back the way I have personally seen American kids do and threaten to call "911".

6. When I get home, I ask for slippers, newspaper, and coffee and they appear by my side.

7. Where is no snow to shovel, no yard to mow, no leaves to rake because what little needed to be done is being done by someone else.

8. My wife does not have to work to provide supplementary income. She does not get stressed by having to do housework either. When I get home or meet her somewhere after work, she looks 15 years younger than her cousins who hied off to the land of milk and honey where you do all the work.

Some of you may thinkI inherited all to these. No. I am a product of the Philippine Public School system. Toro Hills Elementary School in Project 8, QC, Quezon City Science High School, and UP. In college I was a working student. I worked my way through. No one said it was easy, but I achieved the Philippine dream and I tell you, it is a lot better than the American dream because it is so much better to be comfortable around your own kind.

Amen to that.. and thats exactly the reason why I'm going to go back to the Philippines after I finish my degree:)

I view the Balikbayans as Filipinos who missed the Philippines and fellow Filipinos that's why they come here when the opportunity comes. Wala silang pinagkaiba sa mga probinsyanong nakatira na ngayon sa NCR.

The song "Manila" by Hotdog exemplifies the feeling of a true Filipino Balikbayan.

Wala akong problema sa kanila. Mas pinoproblema ko pa ang mga kapwa ko rito at siotwasyon na habang lumalaon ay pasama nang pasama gaya ng hirap ng pagkita ng pera, mga kurakot na taong gubyerno, parumi nang paruming kapaligiran, paglala ng krimen at pati ng trapic dito sa Pinas na para bagang wala ng pag-asang makaahon kasi walang planong magbago para umunlad.

1. I wanted to live in a big house that I did not have to clean, with a big yard that I did not have to sweep and tend, eat any kind of food I want without having to cook it myself, take as many showers as I want and as many changes of clothes I want without having to wash and iron them myself. For these, I could afford to hire househelp which even with the optional social security and health insurance, is still affordable.

2. When I step out to the garage the cars will always be washed and waxed and vacuumed.

3. I, my wife, and my kids can decide to go anywhere in the car without having to drive themselves if they do not want to drive.

4. I can eat as well as what Americans eat if I choose to and yet I know where to buy the best lechon, inihaw na bangus, talaba, and sinigang na maliputo that even the most resourceful balikbayan would have a hard time finding in the country he has ran off to.

5. My kids go to nice schools, pass the UP entrance exams with no problem and act responsibly. They keep their word on our deadline agreements and don't answer back the way I have personally seen American kids do and threaten to call "911".

6. When I get home, I ask for slippers, newspaper, and coffee and they appear by my side.

7. Where is no snow to shovel, no yard to mow, no leaves to rake because what little needed to be done is being done by someone else.

8. My wife does not have to work to provide supplementary income. She does not get stressed by having to do housework either. When I get home or meet her somewhere after work, she looks 15 years younger than her cousins who hied off to the land of milk and honey where you do all the work.

Some of you may thinkI inherited all to these. No. I am a product of the Philippine Public School system. Toro Hills Elementary School in Project 8, QC, Quezon City Science High School, and UP. In college I was a working student. I worked my way through. No one said it was easy, but I achieved the Philippine dream and I tell you, it is a lot better than the American dream because it is so much better to be comfortable around your own kind.

add mo pa,

be able to go to the hospital, without driving myself, knowing that somebody else will always be there to take care of you throug whatever illness.

and this my dear is why, I am saving up an retiring in the Phil. B)

It's not those who grew up abroad (such as yourself)  who really get on our nerves, but those who grew up in the Philippines then come back and act like they own the world, just because they've become US citizens (or British or whatever).  "Walang ganyan sa States!"  That sort of thing.  Some spend several years abroad and come back with an American or British accent.  Hell.  The current California governer has been living in the US for so long, but he still speaks the way he did decades ago.

Guess what bro. it’s not only when they are in the Phil. that they act this way, kahit dito sa US, ganun din po sila umasta.

I met this Filipino guy at a bar who claims he can’t talk tagalog/Filipino anymore but could still easily understand the language. I assumed he was born/raised here only to find out later in the conversation that he’s been here for a meager five years. Sa isip ko, kung nasa Pinas lang tayo, sinapok ko na to, Hangeeeeennnnnn!!!!!

Guest Leviticus
Guess what bro. it’s not only when they are in the Phil. that they act this way, kahit dito sa US, ganun din po sila umasta.

I met this Filipino guy at a bar who claims he can’t talk tagalog/Filipino anymore but could still easily understand the language.  I assumed he was born/raised here only to find out later in the conversation that he’s been here for a meager five years.  Sa isip ko, kung nasa Pinas lang tayo, sinapok ko na to, Hangeeeeennnnnn!!!!!

Exactly!

Kapag nandito sila sa Pilipinas they better act like the rest of us; hindi yung acting as if nasa US. What does a balikbayan expect by acting as if he's still abroad? Iaccomodate or magadapt ang mga tao around him? No way!

I met this Filipino guy at a bar who claims he can’t talk tagalog/Filipino anymore but could still easily understand the language.  I assumed he was born/raised here only to find out later in the conversation that he’s been here for a meager five years.  Sa isip ko, kung nasa Pinas lang tayo, sinapok ko na to, Hangeeeeennnnnn!!!!!

sinabi mo pa. i know some people who can't speak tagalog without an accent when they've only been here for a few months. they talk about leaving the philippines the same way a vietnamese would talk about leaving vietnam during the war.

i've only been away for less than a year and i want to go back already hehe. i am happiest when i have daing na pusit for breakfast, chocnut for merienda and itlog na maalat for dinner. i miss the philippines very much. kaya uuwi ako pagnatapos ko tong aking pag-aaral. hindi kayang tapatan ng dolyares ang pollution at traffic at kaguluhan na namimiss ko sa pinas.

pero di ko din alam, kasi baka ganito ang naiisip ko kasi i lived a comfortable life sa pinas. yung ibang tao wala din naman choice kung hindi mag-stay overseas. pero hindi pa din excuse yon to turn your nose sa sarili mong heritage at culture.

For me, i think that most Filipinos view balikbayans as having a lot of money and that they can spend a gross amount of money here, but what they dont know is that balikbayans may have been earning in dollars say they came lived/migrated in the U.S. but they are also spending money in dollars over there...

Edited by Agent_mulder

tourist or balikbayan... its but fair to treat them well

i've travelled a lot and i never forget my manners

i dont look down on people even they're beggars or of other nationality

i'll be a balikbayan someday,

and im sure my family and relatives will treat me like a queen as they always do even when im still based here...

• 2 weeks later...

When you live in a foreign country you tend to compare the lifestyle you had back in the Philippines and were you are currently living. Different strokes for different folks. I in the other hand like it here in the U.S. You get to be more independent, you get to be more agressive(since you are the "different person"), and more hard working. No doubt i love the Philippines, but with the way things are goin' on right now you gotta wake up. Corruption? Poverty? s**t the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer.. Whats gonna happen to the Philippines in 10 years? How are your kids gonna survive? I took the chance here in the U.S. and thank god I'm doin' ok. You see here it doesnt matter what you do for a living, as long as its a decent job and it feeds you. so what if you work as a waiter or janitor or whatever kinda job you diss back in P.I. its still gives you a home to live at and food on the table. You work minimum in the Philippines how could you survive? 3 kids? milk, rent, food, kulang pa sweldo mo.. Sayang ang Pilipinas sa mga KURAKOT nating gobyerno. You get what im saying? well to each is own.. this is just my opinion.

a couple of years ago, my friend was going out with this guy, i thought he grew up in the states bec. of the accent and the way he complains about everything which is by the way nakakairita. one time nung mineet namin sya sa porch jan sa makati, i couldnt help myself asking him of how long he actually stayed in the u.s and what he's doing back in pinas. f*cking A, i couldnt help myself replying with sarcasm "1 year ka lng pla sa states and ur claiming uve forgotten tagalog, kakatawa ka namn". talamak kc eh, hahhahaa... ive got a friend who's on vacay ngaun sa pinas and im pretty sure magyayabang yan doon, kc ganon na sya dito super social climber eh di lalo na pagbalik nya sa probinsya nila, i can just imagine her speaking with a western accent na trying hard ung dating plus malimaling grammar hahhahhaha. well most of the balikbayans i know from friends to cuzzins, even if they stayed half of their lives sa states or europe, they still talk tagalog, they do converse in english but hindi ung O.A. na talagng lahat ng tao eh nakakarinig. usually ung mga mayayabang yon ung naapi kung saan man sila galing be it from pinas or wherever in the world.

a couple of years ago, my friend was going out with this guy, i thought he grew up in the states bec. of the accent and the way he complains about everything which is by the way nakakairita. one time nung mineet namin sya sa porch jan sa makati, i couldnt help myself asking him of how long he actually stayed in the u.s and what he's doing back in pinas. f*cking A, i couldnt help myself replying with sarcasm "1 year ka lng pla sa states and ur claiming uve forgotten tagalog, kakatawa ka namn". talamak kc eh, hahhahaa...  ive got a friend who's on vacay ngaun sa pinas and im pretty sure magyayabang yan doon, kc ganon na sya dito super social climber eh di lalo na pagbalik nya sa probinsya nila, i can just imagine her speaking with a western accent na trying hard ung dating plus malimaling grammar hahhahhaha.  well most of the balikbayans i know from friends to cuzzins, even if they stayed half of their lives sa states or europe, they still talk tagalog, they do converse in english but hindi ung O.A. na talagng lahat ng tao eh nakakarinig. usually ung mga mayayabang yon ung naapi kung saan man sila galing be it from pinas or wherever in the world.

couldn't agree with you more on that one.. :) most of them pagbalik nila dito feeling superior na sa atin kasi nakarating sila doon. <_<