Dreaming To Be A Famous Photographer

buttakkal

dSLR = digital Single Lens Reflex

Simply put, these are those bulky cameras that you can change lenses. an entry level dSLR will cost about 40 - 50k.

Why a dSLR?

While your point and shoot camera is a good enough to start your love for photography, it will be limiting as the lenses on P&S are fixed to certain focal lenghts and apertures. You might want an effect like a blurred background for your subject which dSLRs can achieve easily.

It also gives you total control of your shots. Giving you the effect that you want for your shot.

Rule of thirds

http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/8250/ruleofthirds013rc.jpg

you've probably read the term "rule of thirds" in this forum, photography books or magazines. the rule of thirds is a guideline in photography for better composition. I'll try to explain it as much as I can and hopefully you'll be able to compose your images better.

the rule of thirds is basically dividing your viewfinder or LCD into three rows and three columns. and then, put your subject on any of the intersections that were created as shown in the image above.

when i took this silhouette of Cueshe guitarist Jovan, you will notice that while his head does not meet the intersection, his elbow does. I chose to hit his elbow because it is an extended part of his body being attached to the arm holding the guitar. I could've also had his head meet the upper intersection and it would still be a good composition. It's a matter of personal choice.

when following the rule of thirds, you are not obligated to hit only one intersection, you can hit as many as two.

-------------

i hope this little tip helps you in composing your shots. next, i'll post another guideline, "lines and patterns".

dSLR = digital Single Lens Reflex

Simply put, these are those bulky cameras that you can change lenses. an entry level dSLR will cost about 40 - 50k. 

Why a dSLR?

While your point and shoot camera is a good enough to start your love for photography, it will be limiting as the lenses on P&S are fixed to certain focal lenghts and apertures.  You might want an effect like a blurred background for your subject which dSLRs can achieve easily.

It also gives you total control of your shots. Giving you the effect that you want for your shot.

wow, super expensive pala. mukhang aabutin ako ng siyam-siyam bago makabili ng ganito.

Rule of thirds

you've probably read the term "rule of thirds" in this forum, photography books or magazines.  the rule of thirds is a guideline in photography for better composition. I'll try to explain it as much as I can and hopefully you'll be able to compose your images better.

the rule of thirds is basically dividing your viewfinder or LCD into three rows and three columns. and then, put your subject on any of the intersections that were created as shown in the image above.

when i took this silhouette of Cueshe guitarist Jovan, you will notice that while his head does not meet the intersection, his elbow does.  I chose to hit his elbow because it is an extended part of his body being attached to the arm holding the guitar.  I could've also had his head meet the upper intersection and it would still be a good composition.  It's a matter of personal choice.

when following the rule of thirds, you are not obligated to hit only one intersection, you can hit as many as two.

-------------

i hope this little tip helps you in composing your shots.  next, i'll post another guideline, "lines and patterns".

nice tip sir. galing. ngayon ko lang nalaman to. i love this kind of shot.

saka yung mga blurred background na kaya ng dslr as u saidm gusto ko rin un.

di nga kaya yung blurred background sa digicam ko :(

sir keep the tips and tricks coming....

post-72565-1150303417.jpg

sir one of my pics, in puerto galera.

ano po ba mga dapat improve?

deejay4: I don't see anything wrong with the composition of this picture. except maybe the weather wasn't kind enough to give you a bluish sky. Is that a rock? or a piece of sack? I would've cloned that out since it looks like a peice of trash that was left behind.

If you look at the picture, your eyes tend to follow the curve of the shore. that's how it's supposed to be, it's supposed to make your viewer wonder where the shore will lead you, what on the other side.

good shot deejay.

Rule of thirds

you've probably read the term "rule of thirds" in this forum, photography books or magazines.  the rule of thirds is a guideline in photography for better composition. I'll try to explain it as much as I can and hopefully you'll be able to compose your images better.

when i took this silhouette of Cueshe guitarist Jovan, you will notice that while his head does not meet the intersection, his elbow does.  I chose to hit his elbow because it is an extended part of his body being attached to the arm holding the guitar.  I could've also had his head meet the upper intersection and it would still be a good composition.  It's a matter of personal choice.

-------------

i hope this little tip helps you in composing your shots.  next, i'll post another guideline, "lines and patterns".

Very helpful tip, sir!

For those who'd like to try this with a point and shoot camera, first, aim the center of the camera at the subject, then half click the button (this will need some practice), then move the camera to the proper framing, then press the button all the way through to take the picture.

Point and shoot cameras usually focus on the center of the lens only. Half clicking will make the camera focus, but not take the shot.

Hope this helps.

deejay4: I don't see anything wrong with the composition of this picture. except maybe the weather wasn't kind enough to give you a bluish sky. Is that a rock? or a piece of sack? I would've cloned that out since it looks like a peice of trash that was left behind.

If you look at the picture, your eyes tend to follow the curve of the shore.  that's how it's supposed to be, it's supposed to make your viewer wonder where the shore will lead you, what on the other side. 

good shot deejay.

oo nga sir, ngayon ko lang napansin na hindi nga bluish yung sky... galing talaga...

dami ko natututunan. :cool:

piece of rock po yun sir, isinama ko talaga. yung actual appearance nung rock ok kaso hindi lang na-capture ng maayos nung cam ko.

also one thing sir,

yung pong rules of thirds po ba nakikita sa dslr yung rows and columns? or u have to edit it with a photo editor?

kung kagaya ko pong point and shoot lang ang gamit, paano po kaya ma-achieve na tama yung rules of thirds dun sa mismong time ng shooting?

oo nga sir, ngayon ko lang napansin na hindi nga bluish yung sky... galing talaga...

dami ko natututunan.  :cool: 

piece of rock po yun sir, isinama ko talaga. yung actual appearance nung rock ok kaso hindi lang na-capture ng maayos nung cam ko.

also one thing sir,

yung pong rules of thirds po ba nakikita sa dslr yung rows and columns? or u have to edit it with a photo editor?

kung kagaya ko pong point and shoot lang ang gamit, paano po kaya ma-achieve na tama yung rules of thirds dun sa mismong time ng shooting?

deejay,

yung peice of rock hindi nahalata kaya mas magandang kung tinggal na lang, di ba?

may ibang dslr na may linya ang rows and columns ang iba, tulad ng camera ko wala. use your imagination na lang at makukuha mo rin yun. sana yan lang sir.

sa point and shoot, ilagay mo lang sir sa gilid ang main subject o isa sa mga subjects ok na rin yun. sabi nga nung isang nagpost dito, subukan mo yung half-click lang tapos ayusin mo ulit ang composition (ginagawa rin namin ito minsan sa dslr). ang composition kasi sanayan talaga, kailangan may "mata" ka para makita mo ang tama at maling composition ng isang litrato.

Lines and Patterns

Our eyes are attracted to lines and patterns. They guide our eyes to see our destination or make us wonder what is up ahead.

Aesthetically, patterns are simply beautiful.

Samples:

http://static.flickr.com/3/5460491_b032b02127.jpg

This a simple pattern of lines created by the branches. I took this shot during a nature shoot with a couple of friends in Danao. They wondered what I was shooting, some even thought I was just wasting time shooting this.

http://static.flickr.com/6/5460822_af90dc5ee1.jpg

This is the museum hall of the San Agustin Church in Manila. Notice the lines on the ceiling and the pattern on the floor created by the open window, they seem to lead our eyes towards the end of the hall.

hope this helps. keep shooting!

These and my other shots can be viewed at http://www.flickr.com/photos/benjieordonez.

Edited by pnoize2k4
Lines and Patterns

Our eyes are attracted to lines and patterns.  They guide our eyes to see our destination or make us wonder what is up ahead.

Aesthetically, patterns are simply beautiful.

Samples:

http://static.flickr.com/3/5460491_b032b02127.jpg

This a simple pattern of lines created by the branches. I took this shot during a nature shoot with a couple of friends in Danao. They wondered what I was shooting, some even thought I was just wasting time shooting this.

http://static.flickr.com/6/5460822_af90dc5ee1.jpg

This is the museum hall of the San Agustin Church in Manila.  Notice the lines on the ceiling and the pattern on the floor created by the open window, they seem to lead our eyes towards the end of the hall.

hope this helps. keep shooting!

These and my other shots can be viewed at http://www.flickr.com/photos/benjieordonez.

pwede ba ako mag apprentice sayo?

sir pnoize2k4 ano po ba advice nyo tungkol sa size ng picture kapag mag-take ng picture?

mas malaki po ba mas ok?

yun po kasi sa digicam ko may option na .3mb, 2mb,3mb,6mb.

ano po kaya mas maganda gamitin?

depende kasi kung saan mo ilalagay. kung sa web lang pwede na yung medium setting pero kung ipapadevelop mo at print, the bigger the better. usually mga 300dpi ang resolution ng pics tapos largest size na kaya ng camera, kung 6mb eh di 6mb. kung may option to shoot RAW go for it.

sir pnoize2k4... ang galing....

i love your photos....

sana maging kagaya mo din ako, kaso i dont have the right tools  :cry:

salamat.

yung ibang photos dun, gamit ko eh simpleng point and shoot na film or p&s na digicam. try to make do with what you have and maximize it's capabilities. reading the manual helps a lot, minsan kasi we overlook at some features.

btw, most of the pics I posted were shot using large find JPG. kasi I also print them and give them as gifts to friends, for print or for exhibits.

have a good day. :thumbsupsmiley:

I suggest that you get a dedicated flash first.  a 2.8 f-stop still has it's limits when doing evening indoor shots.  what system are you using?

Canon 350D. Is the 580EX worth the extra money or should I just go for the 430EX? I also heard Sigma produces Canon-compatible lenses. Kung kulang yung budget, I might go Sigma nalang (unless anyone has any sigma flash horror stories they want to share). many thanks!