Linux Anybody?

Anybody here using Linux? I've been using it for 5 years already, and since then I never felt the need to use a pirated windows installer on any of my computers yet. I was wondering though if there are any MTC peeps that use Linux on their computers as well (may it be servers, workstations, home computers, laptops, etc.).

For those clueless about Linux, it's a Free Operating System that runs on a myriad of platforms (computer architectures) ranging from the most common x86 computers (Personal Computers) to high-performance server architectures (SPARC, Alpha, G5, etc.). It's an alternative to the most common operating systems such as Windows, Mac, and Unix. There are a number of distributions free for download and use. No Strings Attached!

So if you haven't given it a try yet, let's discuss it sometime so that we can spread the spirit of Free and Open Source software, and live "guilt free" of pirated installations!

CHill...

Been using Linux since the release or Redhat 6.0. Been using it mostly for server applications. It's indeed a good desktop replacement for Windows. Linux has come a long way. But still using Windows as my primary OS at home coz I'm not the only one using my PC. maybe if I buy a second PC and use it by myself I can use Linux as my desktop OS and totally ditch Windows.

I use Linux in my multi-boot setup as my secondary OS. Although Linux has progressed far, there are still a few things that limit its penetration in the market. It will also take a few years to erase the Windows syndrome which has already become synonymous to an operating system for PCs. :headsetsmiley:

It will also take a few years to erase the Windows syndrome which has already become synonymous to an operating system for PCs.  :headsetsmiley:

True... But it never was the aim of Linux to erase Windows from the face of the planet. ;) Actually, it has already done its original purpose to be a better alternative to Minix -- a free "Unix" clone which actually works quite well. :D

Although I must admit, there are a lot of areas of improvement, especially in the consumer desktop market. It's going to take a larger effort than the "geek-next-door" movement to spread the news and get things moving towards higher quality products on the platform and into the mainstream with minimal cost. ;)

CHill...

maybe if I buy a second PC and use it by myself I can use Linux as my desktop OS and totally ditch Windows.

Nice! ;) I started with slackware 7.0, and fell in love with debian 2 years ago. I last used windows on my computers 5 years ago, but I still use Windows at work and in computer shops. No matter how hard I try to get away from Windows, it fails because I end up in places where the only available OS is Windows. Besides, I can't be choosy when the need arises. ;)

I have been using Mandrake 10CE for almost a year now, and I am planning to switch to Fedora maybe sometime this summer.

So how do you find Mandrake? What do you use it for? Do you like it? ;) Why not try something different like Ubuntu? Or Debian? Have you heard of Slackware? Anyway, there are a lot of options out there...

Nice, so far that's at least 3 people other than me who have been using Linux here in MTC! :D

ok linux users i have a bayanihan limux at home and i last used it 2-3 years ago. never really gave it another try since i'm not the only one who's using the pc. but since ur the expert on this i want to ask ur opinion regarding this matter. i might give it a try again, though i aint a computer expert or doesnt know any technobable i'd like to know what are the linux equivalent of these softwares so i could give linux another try:

power dvd

ms office

winrar & winzip version?

musicmatch (wav to mp3 software)

mp3 player

dvd writer/ripper such as nero and the like

i also heard making an internet connection is much complicated than windows. does anybody here used WINE or something like that to link window software in linux? is it complicated?

much thanks.

ok linux users i have a bayanihan limux at home and i last used it 2-3 years ago. never really gave it another try since i'm not the only one who's using the pc. but since ur the expert on this i want to ask ur opinion regarding this matter. i might give it a try again, though i aint a computer expert or doesnt know any technobable i'd like to know what are the linux equivalent of these softwares so i could give linux another try:

power dvd

ms office

winrar & winzip version?

musicmatch (wav to mp3 software)

mp3 player

dvd writer/ripper  such as nero and the like

i also heard making an internet connection is much complicated than windows. does anybody here used WINE or something like that to link window software in linux? is it complicated?

much thanks.

I wouldn't say exepert ako, may mas expert pa sakin dito -- like Google, and the others. As for the software you're looking for:

Power DVD -- mas maganda pa (IMHO) Mplayer tsaka Xine

MS Office -- OpenOffice.org 1.1+ (more features than MS Office in fact)

Musicmatch -- (encoder) andami, take your pic: cdparanoia+lame, cdparanoia+flac, tapos mga frontends na naka-dikit sa kanil usually are: gripper, etc.

MP3 player -- XMMS, pwede rin mplayer/xine

dvd writer/ripper such as nero -- K3b (IMHO, mas maganda pa itsura at friendly to Nero users talaga).

WINE sucks -- pero biased to dahil I never really liked the idea of running windows software on Linux. It's complicated if you try to go through the DIY of making WINE run from code, pero if you pay the makers nung WINE, they'd gladly give you a package na you can install and run away with.

HTH

I tried Slackware. It's pretty simple to install and little flexible compare to other distros. However, the BSD like environment makes me turn away like the FreeBSD. Nasanay na kasi ako sa SVR4 like Solaris and RedHat. So i figured why bother, I can do anything I want anyway why Redhat distros. Sometimes having a lot of distro works against linux. It's a bit intimidating for a newbie.

Speaking of personal opinion and based on my experiences, just get distro that you can get right away. Get yourself familiar with it and stick to it. Once you are familiar it's easy to customize your installation from there on.

If you want to establish a career with Linux I think its best to stick with the most popular distro like Redhat or SuSe.

I've tried many distro before but I used RedHat for most part of it. Then, I'm getting to work a lot on SuSE since the company where I'm working choose Suse.

sana yung ym for linux kasing ganda ng sa for windows. although, ok din naman ang gaim, eh iba pa rin pag nakakaview ka ng webcam show hehe.

Merong nirecommend sakin dati yung kasama ko sa PLUG, yung gyanche (or something to that effect) na pwede ka talaga manood ng webcam ng ibang tao through YM. Pero hindi ako sure, sabi nya konti lang daw webcams na supported.

Hindi natin masisisi Yahoo! to develop the Yahoo! Messenger as good as it has in Windows, kasi hindi naman talaga madali yung mag-develop ng GUI applications na "astig" sa Linux. At least ako nagkakaproblema ako dun sa side na yun. Besides, for a platform as fast evolving as Linux, mahirap sabayan yung development cycle kung hindi open source yung application nila. ;)

I tried Slackware. It's pretty simple to install and little flexible compare to other distros. However, the BSD like environment makes me turn away like the FreeBSD. Nasanay na kasi ako sa SVR4 like Solaris and RedHat. So i figured why bother, I can do anything I want anyway why Redhat distros. Sometimes having a lot of distro works against linux. It's a bit intimidating for a newbie.

Speaking of personal opinion and based on my experiences, just get distro that you can get right away. Get yourself familiar with it and stick to it. Once you are familiar it's easy to customize your installation from there on.

If you want to establish a career with Linux I think its best to stick with the most popular distro like Redhat or SuSe.

I've tried many distro before but I used RedHat for most part of it. Then, I'm getting to work a lot on SuSE since the company where I'm working choose Suse.

I started using Slackware 7.0 pa yun. It was my very first distribution, and I felt very comfortable with it. Hindi ako sanay sa System V style ng ibang distros and kahit hanggang ngayon may certain unexplainable hate ako for Redhat and RH based distro's. Not surprisingly, I love Slackware and Debian. Looking forward to someday getting an LPI certification, but that's a long way monetarily and skill-wise.

I agree with your observation na kapag gusto mo magkaron ng career in Linux, concentrate ka sa sikat (but not necessaily the "best") na distribution.

Tried Mandrake a couple of years ago, dual boot XP and linux. Wanted to make it my main OS, pero mabagal sa PC ko noon -- pIII-500, 128mb ram, p3bf board -- mas mabagal kesa Win XP, so it didn't work out. I'm planning to install Linux again now that I have a much improved PC, but sadly, I won't be able to do away with Windows because I use Visual Studio .NET.

Tried Mandrake a couple of years ago, dual boot XP and linux. Wanted to make it my main OS, pero mabagal sa PC ko noon -- pIII-500, 128mb ram, p3bf board -- mas mabagal kesa Win XP, so it didn't work out. I'm planning to install Linux again now that I have a much improved PC, but sadly, I won't be able to do away with Windows because I use Visual Studio .NET.

I tried Mandrake 8.0 (bought the boxed set) and installed it on my PIII-500 based PC too, and it was a hassle. I never really liked Mandrake, and eventually I reverted to Slackware nalang. I felt the big performance difference because of the minimalistic approach that Slackware brings to the table. It felt (and up to now still does feel) very fast compared to Mandrake, but I'm sure it was because Mandrake came with more bells and whistles running at the background -- and a lot of applications running in KDE.

I'm sorry about you being trapped with Visual Studio .NET -- are you doing this for work or just because you need an IDE? Kung IDE lang gusto mo, maraming open source na pwede ipalit sa Studio .NET. Pero kung trabaho, wala tayo magagawa dyan. ;)

tried to use a red hat linux b4.. may installer pa nga ako...

kaso.. gusto ko sanang ilagay, kaso parang nakakatkot mag install na meron kang exsisting na

windows na os.. parang mapapatungan eh,

Ang alam ko kasi kung wala kang extra partition, talagang mapapatungan yung current OS mo. If you have a spare partition, make sure you BACK UP YOUR DATA FIRST before you do something potentially damaging like installing RedHat.

If you just want to try it out, you can try using a "live cd" which will boot into Linux -- pwede mo paglaruan muna yun, and pag confident ka na sa Linux, you can then try installing your distro of choice (or kahit hindi na, oks lang). Live cd's out there are knoppix, morphix, ubuntu, and yung slack live. Hindi na kailangan maginstall, makakapaglinux ka na off the CD.

And if in case you decide that you really want to install linux on your computer, make partitions for Linux (isang swap na 2x nung memory mo, and isang at least 3G para sa filesystem ng Linux) using Parition Magic, or other tools that will allow you to preserve your data while modifying the partition tables. Hindi lang ako familiar kung anuano yung mga tools na yan sa Windows, pero Parition Magic yung ginamit ko dati nung nakawindows pa ako at naginstall ako ng Linux sa spare partition.

HTH! CHill...

I also tried Mandrake. Sure it's easy to install but I think it's too much bloated like Windows. It doesn't feel like your usring a Linux. If you really want to study Linux by heart Slackware is the best in my opinion. It offers the simplest package yet powerful set for a Linux Distro. Maybe because you are always in control. Same is true for Debian but it's not recommended for Beginners.

For me RedHat offers the best balance in flexibility and ease of use. For a corporate environment definitely Redhat has the upper hand. It think the best alternative is SuSe/Novell. Maybe for some user it's the other way around (SuSe then Redhat) especially Europeans.

If you want to challenge yourself try the Linux from Scratch. Or the Core Linux project available from SourceForge. You may want to create your own distribution by starting on these two distro.

I also tried Mandrake. Sure it's easy to install but I think it's too much bloated like Windows. It doesn't feel like your usring a Linux. If you really want to study Linux by heart Slackware is the best in my opinion. It offers the simplest package yet powerful set for a Linux Distro. Maybe because you are always in control. Same is true for Debian but it's not recommended for Beginners.

Is Slackware diffucult to install? compared to Mandrake? Is it a basic linux distro with few software bundled? Gusto ko sana yung meron nang firefox, open office, php, mysql, and a good media player.

For me RedHat offers the best balance in flexibility and ease of use. For a corporate environment definitely Redhat has the upper hand. It think the best alternative is SuSe/Novell. Maybe for some user it's the other way around (SuSe then Redhat) especially Europeans.

If you want to challenge yourself try the Linux from Scratch. Or the Core Linux project available from SourceForge. You may want to create your own distribution by starting on these two distro.

I personally think that in enterprise setups, SuSe/Novell is a better setup. However, even in enterprise setups where cost is a big factor, I would rather use Debian for ease of administration and superb package management. Apt is a very nice tool indeed -- although there are things now like yum and apt-rpm that allow the package management experience found in Debian systems to be accessed and harnessed by RedHat users.

I agree with the challenge part, if you really want to get to know how them distro's work. LFS is definitely a tease, although I never really got to actually getting one up and running by myself. :cool:

Is Slackware diffucult to install? compared to Mandrake? Is it a basic linux distro with few software bundled? Gusto ko sana yung meron nang firefox, open office, php, mysql, and a good media player.

Try getting your hands on Ubuntu. It's definitely what you'd want to try using based on what you want to do. :D Slackware is a bit too hands-on for normal users who want to enjoy their computers most of the time. ;)

I wouldn't say exepert ako, may mas expert pa sakin dito -- like Google, and the others. As for the software you're looking for:

Power DVD -- mas maganda pa (IMHO) Mplayer tsaka Xine

MS Office -- OpenOffice.org 1.1+ (more features than MS Office in fact)

Musicmatch -- (encoder) andami, take your pic: cdparanoia+lame, cdparanoia+flac, tapos mga frontends na naka-dikit sa kanil usually are: gripper, etc.

MP3 player -- XMMS, pwede rin mplayer/xine

<a  style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=22&k=dvd%20writer" onmouseover="window.status='dvd writer'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">dvd writer</a>/ripper such as nero -- K3b (IMHO, mas maganda pa itsura at friendly to Nero users talaga).

WINE sucks -- pero biased to dahil I never really liked the idea of running <a  style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=22&k=windows%20software" onmouseover="window.status='windows software'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">windows software</a> on Linux. It's complicated if you try to go through the DIY of making WINE run from code, pero if you pay the makers nung WINE, they'd gladly give you a package na you can install and run away with.

HTH

thanks for replying. i'll give it a try pag nakabili n ko ng bagong pc. thanks. ulit.

I used to have an office PC using Linux. It works just as well as XP or Win 98. Although you have to keep in mind that many are still using Win 98 or XP... that's because sxc and sxw are the formats used in word processing and worksheets, respectively. You must make sure that the document or worksheet is saved as doc or xls if you are e-mailing it to a user who is still in Win 98 or XP.

The Linux i used then was Mandrake. Mozilla Firebird is the browser of choice for internet. The fonts of MTC and other sites are different too...And i have difficulty in Yahoo Mail as the fonts and other clickables are messed up...And i have to agree that the YM for Linux is boring compared to XP...

Later on, my desktop PC was taken from me and replaced by a laptop... (which is why i have no excuse to say 'i can't finish it today')...

My laptop uses XP... There was an attempt to install Mandrake Linux to my laptop but the speed of the laptop painfully slowed down like it was an XT PC back in the 80s... They removed it and reverted to XP for the laptop i use now