Authentic Vs Replicas

HunkDavao

If you want to start in this hobby, have the mental discipline to study timepieces not just based on price. History, movement, reputation among so-called WIS, etc. should also be considered.

There are great mechanical pieces priced P20k and up and will not break the bank. Go up the horological ladder slowly.

If you need further info on watches, check out philippinewatchclub.org. (sorry, not meant to hijack the thread, but to educate enthusiasts)

Among people who know, you'll get more respect wearing a Seiko than a replica.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Wrong analogy. A car is made of many parts, not just the engine. Whereas watch movement comprises just about 99% of the mechanics of a watch. Like I said, it won't be the same craftsmanship for the case, but functionally equivalent. A better analogy is if you use use a Ferrari engine, transmission, etc. but the body of a Toyota, you still technically have functionally a Ferrari.

You can still get ETAs easily for the meantime, mind you, until their decision to stop making it for others is fully felt by the industry. It's easier to get that than an in-house movement, obviously.

Oh, did you mean the China knockoffs? Good gracious... I was referring to custom replicas.

Frankly, if a person buys a replica and will be embarrassed when caught with it, then that person shouldn't really be buying in the first place. I qualified that the only reason I'd get one is if I like the design but can't keep up with the price. Buying a watch so that others will marvel at it is silly. Shouldn't what matter is what you feel about the watch? Otherwise, you'll get caught up with what watch snobs do... wearing the brand and not the watch.

Well, Patek is high up there in standards. But really... go with what makes you feel good. That's how I pick watches myself. Don't go trying to impress a watch snob (that's the term, actually).

There was a time I liked a watch too, but the cost was prohibitive, so I went and got a cheaper brand/model that was close enough to it. But had I been unable to find one I liked, I'd have probably gotten a replica. Caveat of course is if someone outs it as fake, you'll just have to take it in stride. Then again, as I said, I wear the watch because I like how it looks, and not because I can brag I'm wearing a Rolex or something.

60k? That's not so bad. If you get a replica of that, people wouldn't really mind as much, as compared to if you were wearing a Rolex/Omega replica. Of course, you'll have to remember that you have no right to be offended if it's caught as a fake :) Think of watches as jewelry... In fact, that's pretty much what it is, especially considering quartz watches and mobile phones. You have better timekeeping instruments available, so why get an expensive watch that's not even accurate by today's standards? (cheaper non quartz watches are typically 2-10 seconds fast/slow per day, depending on the movement. You can be lucky with 0~2, but that's usually with the really high grade *cough* expensive movements) It's really about how you like wearing the watch. If you like it, then that's all that matters, right?

I wont make this any longer....

A toyota with ferrari mechanical components will never be a ferrari.....

Even a super clone rolex will never ever come close to an original.

Why? original design, trade secrets and craftmanship....which you obviously can't buy.....

I am an entrepreneur and i will never ever sell fakes, no matter how close they are to the original. It just sounds wrong in doing business. I have a garment and an IT business, both have patents and licenses.

Its like i would encourage people to buy pirated copies just because they perform the same.

A fake or replica, unless you mean HOMAGE watches are considered as stolen. because it violates every patent law.

Same thing with watches, that is why there are "cheaper, reliable and Budgeted" watches that look well as jewelry but are not within the range of authentic time pieces.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you want to start in this hobby, have the mental discipline to study timepieces not just based on price. History, movement, reputation among so-called WIS, etc. should also be considered.

There are great mechanical pieces priced P20k and up and will not break the bank. Go up the horological ladder slowly.

If you need further info on watches, check out philippinewatchclub.org. (sorry, not meant to hijack the thread, but to educate enthusiasts)

Among people who know, you'll get more respect wearing a Seiko than a replica.

thanks

True.

Nasa nagdadala yan.

My former congressman boss once showed me his Rolex watch, and asked me what I thought. I said it looked nice. Then he said it's just a replica that he bought for 5k, but since it was him who was wearing it, no one would think it was just a replica. laugh.gif

That's so true. If you see a construction worker wearing a Rolex watch you can be sure it's fake. If you see Manny Paquiao wearing a fake Rolex watch you would assume it's a real Rolex.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...