Let me complicate things further. I used to have what the doctor called Positional Vertigo. My problem was if I got up from bed quickly, I would feel dizzy. Also, some sudden head movements would make me feel dizzy.
I said used to because I no longer have these symptoms anymore. Can't really say what cured me. But, knock on wood, hope the symptoms never come back.
several types of vertigo
1. paroxysmal vertigo-the sudden attack which comes on quickly, last only a short time (sec to hrs) then goes away just as quickly. Recurs after symptom-free interval
2. The single, severe attack fading away much more slowly than the first type. it takes days and even weeks to disappear completely
3. Chronic vertigo, often not serious but - with small flare ups - permanently present. last for months without change
4. Positioning vertigo - occurs following sudden movements of the head, often in one particular plane
5. dizziness spells, lasting a few seconds, occurring irregularly