Martial Arts

Corkscrew

On 4/19/2022 at 8:12 AM, SAGITTARIAN said:

MIXED MARTIAL ARTS - TEAM LAKAY (FANS ONLY)

You can actually train with them in Benguet.

They have weekly/monthly rates. You just need to look for a nearby place to stay since they do not offer accomodations.

They do have plans of offering something similar to the muay thai vacation camps in Thailand. I know  fight camps/gyms in Boracay and Siargao are offering something similar.

On 4/17/2022 at 1:32 PM, Gtayo11 said:

who else a part of the karate/tkd 90s/2000s craze?

You're at least two decades late. The karate craze started in the '60s with Tony Ferrer, Bernard Belleza and Roberto Gonzales films. It started with lessons given by Latino Gonzales (Roberto's father) who first taught karate in the Phils. The '70s further increased interest in Karate (strange) with kung fu stars like Bruce Lee, Meng Fei, Wang Yu, etc. Just not enough kung fu teachers willing to teach Filipinos mainstream. But the Bruce Lee craze saw the birth of several Filipino-born arts like Trac-Ma, Inosanto JKD, modern arnis, etc.

The '80s saw the rise of Tae Kwon do and it brought a martial arts explosion to the country.

But to answer your question, yeah I dabbled in karate in the '80s but my real MA was judo. Judo is pretty well-developed in the Phils, which explains why BJJ can't seem to go beyond a small mich here, even with the third explosion brought about by MMA. BJJ just can't cut it against judo when it comes to a throwing-grappling match. Although I admit BJJ is a terror when it comes to chokes and locks. Judo has all of that too, but people see mostly throws in competitions (and it's what judoists train in mostly, because it ends the match cleanly.)

• Like (+1) 1