• Please log in to reply
379 replies to this topic

#321 reix

reix

Charmer

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • Interests:Music, Billiards, Sex (of course)

Posted 01 September 2007 - 11:10 AM

purple haze bar timog mga blues banatan dun

tomas morato yun tol cor e. rod, anyone here know kung kelan at saan gigs ni Jun lopito??

Edited by reix, 01 September 2007 - 11:13 AM.

#322 Larry

Larry

oderint dum metuant

• (11) Wyld
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,050 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 09:52 AM

caught the Lampano Alley gig at 19East saturday night, but I didn't get to watch Lampano Alley LOL because the girl I was with lured me away with sex....but that's another story.

Got to watch 3 bands, The Long Johns, Plug, and Snakecharmer.

The Long Johns had great musical chops, the playing was tight, and the guitar work was good. The one thing that I had with this band was that the singer sounded awful. I know it's blues but it was really off key.

Plug on the other hand was excellent. Excellent musicianship, great song arrangements, very good slide guitar work (on an SG, to my surprise, I know you can do it on any guitar, but I always associated the SG with AC/DC). I hope to see them again.

Snakecharmer was good too, they had the requisite blues harp thing going on, and the requisite chubby dude playing it. Great vocal arrangements, some of their songs had 2 part harmonies which sounded great.

Overall the gig was good, nice vibe, and the fact that it was in 19east really helped a lot. Great equipment (comparable to the tech riders of some foreign bands), great technicians, a very nice place overall.

#323 reix

reix

Charmer

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • Interests:Music, Billiards, Sex (of course)

Posted 03 September 2007 - 08:39 PM

I think snakecharmer and Plug are on the blueskrieg Cd

#324 Larry

Larry

oderint dum metuant

• (11) Wyld
  • 6,050 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 08:47 AM

^^yes they are

#325 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12,436 posts
  • Interests:music, travel lit, anything cerebral but i also get down and dirty.

Posted 05 September 2007 - 12:32 PM

blues to death:I agree with you on the Clapton observation. His Electric playing in recent years is just so way off compared to his early adventures. He still plays a mean acoustic, though -- which makes me think that's what he wants to do more these days. Binenta niya kasi mga gitara niya eh....kaya nwala mojo.Seriously though, I was playing an old album of his last week and I was deeply excited to hear (again) how fiery Clapton was in the days of Derek and the Dominos. His live take on "Have You Ever loved A Woman" is an all too perfect example of good he was. Sadly, it's why many people say he reached his apex only when Duanne Allman was pushing him to greater heights. After Allman's death, Clapton played noticebaly different.Many feel that only when "Unplugged " came out did Clapton break out of his shell once more as he laid out his soul for every one to see when he took out that Martin and slide for a joyful ride!More recently, Eric Clapton has taken out Derek Trucks and another gutiar player ( forgot his name ) on the road with him for several concerts. Clapton said he wanted to be able to play Layla plus a few other songs--the way he recorded them. Hope they get to this side of the world as they already played China alast year.

Also heard him recently when I downloaded their old Blind Faith piece DO WHAT YOU LIKE. Actually inserted this song in my Ipod just to listen to Ginger Baker's famous drum solo but the part where Clapton soloed just got me riveted and added another dimension to the song. Very very tasty licks there.....

blues to death:I agree with you on the Clapton observation. His Electric playing in recent years is just so way off compared to his early adventures. He still plays a mean acoustic, though -- which makes me think that's what he wants to do more these days. Binenta niya kasi mga gitara niya eh....kaya nwala mojo.Seriously though, I was playing an old album of his last week and I was deeply excited to hear (again) how fiery Clapton was in the days of Derek and the Dominos. His live take on "Have You Ever loved A Woman" is an all too perfect example of good he was. Sadly, it's why many people say he reached his apex only when Duanne Allman was pushing him to greater heights. After Allman's death, Clapton played noticebaly different.Many feel that only when "Unplugged " came out did Clapton break out of his shell once more as he laid out his soul for every one to see when he took out that Martin and slide for a joyful ride!More recently, Eric Clapton has taken out Derek Trucks and another gutiar player ( forgot his name ) on the road with him for several concerts. Clapton said he wanted to be able to play Layla plus a few other songs--the way he recorded them. Hope they get to this side of the world as they already played China alast year.

Also heard him recently when I downloaded their old Blind Faith piece DO WHAT YOU LIKE. Actually inserted this song in my Ipod just to listen to Ginger Baker's famous drum solo but the part where Clapton soloed just got me riveted and added another dimension to the song. Very very tasty licks there.....

#326 16track

16track

Lover

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 07:38 AM

bods!

You have Blind Faith? Baka pwede pa request ng copy? I've been looking for that for a long time now but wala talaga.
Do you also have 'Layla and other Assorted Love Songs" Maybe I can trade you with some CDs of mine?

That album of Blind Faith remains elusive as the band released only 1 album. Steve Winwood and Ginger Baker were with Blind Faith, right? Favorite tracks ko yung Presence of the Lord and Can't find my way Back Home.

It was an interesting stage in Clapton's career as he was begining to feel uncomfortable with weight of fame. After the album, he joined John Lennon's Plastic Ono Band for a short while and soon after with Bonnie and Delaney as a sideman.

#327 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12,436 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 08:37 PM

bods!

You have Blind Faith? Baka pwede pa request ng copy? I've been looking for that for a long time now but wala talaga.
Do you also have 'Layla and other Assorted Love Songs" Maybe I can trade you with some CDs of mine?

That album of Blind Faith remains elusive as the band released only 1 album. Steve Winwood and Ginger Baker were with Blind Faith, right? Favorite tracks ko yung Presence of the Lord and Can't find my way Back Home.

It was an interesting stage in Clapton's career as he was begining to feel uncomfortable with weight of fame. After the album, he joined John Lennon's Plastic Ono Band for a short while and soon after with Bonnie and Delaney as a sideman.

Just that one song pare - DO WHAT YOU LIKE - downloaded from LW. Actually looked for that because I wanted to hear Ginger Baker's great drum solo - which was voted as one of the best drum solos of all time. If you want I can also download PRESENCE OF THE LORD and CAN'T FIND MY WAY BACK HOME and put them on CD for you. Blind Faith, like all supergroups of the 70s had a very short life span - just one album, which is now hard to find. Steve Winwood had his usual ego clash with Dave Mason in Traffic so he opted to split and luckily joined forces with Eric, Ginger Baker and Rick Grech to form Blind Faith.

If you want I also have TOAD from Cream - another great drum solo. Also tunes from King Crimson (21st Century Schizoid Man), Emerson Lake & Palmer (Tarkus, Toccata), Yes (Heart of the Sunrise, South Side of the Sky, Mood for the Day, Soundchaser), Frampton hehehe (his 14minute guitarjam DO YOU FEEL LIKE I DO), and some smatterings of Deep Purple and Black Sabbath....

If you notice these are all very long tunes - Do What You Like is 15minutes, Tarkus is 20minutes, Heart of the Sunrise is about 10minutes plus all the others are about 7 to 8 minutes. I kinda miss these very long jams which seems to go on forever and features several movements and change of tempos etc. This was quite common in the albums of the 70s - which is a rare thing nowadays.

#328 16track

16track

Lover

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 07:39 AM

Bods:

Sige bro. Please do burn me a copy. Really appreciate it.

Yep, those solos in the 70's took a long time. I remember having the Allman Brothers "Live at Filmore East" and it had like 3 songs to one side of the LP, heheh. Songs such as Whipping Post and In Memory of Elizabeth Reed took more than 8 minutes each -- probably even longer.

However long it was, this was undeniably the Best you'll hear the Allmans play live. They're one helluva live band but this one for me was the the peak for them. Tight musicianship all around! They play an excellent comination of Southern Blues with some Jazz flavors that make their sound all their own.

I still like them now with Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes but there was something different and ear grabbing with the chemistry between Duane Allman and Dicky Betts. Too bad Dickey left the band already and pout up his own while Duane left--just way too early.

#329 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12,436 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 10:59 AM

Bods:

Sige bro. Please do burn me a copy. Really appreciate it.

Yep, those solos in the 70's took a long time. I remember having the Allman Brothers "Live at Filmore East" and it had like 3 songs to one side of the LP, heheh. Songs such as Whipping Post and In Memory of Elizabeth Reed took more than 8 minutes each -- probably even longer.

However long it was, this was undeniably the Best you'll hear the Allmans play live. They're one helluva live band but this one for me was the the peak for them. Tight musicianship all around! They play an excellent comination of Southern Blues with some Jazz flavors that make their sound all their own.

I still like them now with Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes but there was something different and ear grabbing with the chemistry between Duane Allman and Dicky Betts. Too bad Dickey left the band already and pout up his own while Duane left--just way too early.

sure thing pare!
Download ko din kaya yung Live at Fillmore East na yun hehehe - haven't heard that for a long time...
Greg Allman had a solo album during the 70s called LAID BACK and it had the song Queen of Hearts - which remains so poignant to me after all these years. Great song. I have it too if you like...

speaking of Southern blues rock Lynyrd Skynyrd had that classic 15minute song FREEBIRD, which along with THAT SMELL remains two of my favorite Southern rock band songs.....

#330 16track

16track

Lover

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 08:02 AM

Thanks bods!

If you have the copies then lets have another night at my place. THis time a Blues night, eh?
Still have a few bottles of wine in stockt plus the one you left.

Back to the blues:

I was listening to some early SRV tunes the other day in heavy traffic and it was pleasant thing to remember how Albert King had influenced him. Of course Stevie played and sounded like himself --but it was very hard not to hear Albert King's style in his runs. As I mentioned before, Clapton had Robert Johnson and BB King within him but SRV was clearly an Albert King follower - not to mention a Jimi Hendrix devotee as well. Not too far off as Hendrix acknowledged Albert King in early interviews too.

Relatively, I don't know if I had said this before but Albert King once narrated that he went with Hendrix to some bar in the 60's and they were both floored by the female singer who had a distinct and unique way of singing -- a clear influence of the blues was obvious. The singer of course was Janis Joplin.

At the RJUR, the moring DJ plays this Joplin tune each morning as one of her opening records:

JANIS JOPLIN-- MERCEDS BENZ
Oh lord, wont you buy me a mercedes benz ?
My friends all drive porsches, I must make amends.
Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends,
So lord, wont you buy me a mercedes benz ?

Oh lord, wont you buy me a color tv ?
Dialing for dollars is trying to find me.
I wait for delivery each day until three,
So oh lord, wont you buy me a color tv ?

Oh lord, wont you buy me a night on the town ?
Im counting on you, lord, please dont let me down.
Prove that you love me and buy the next round,

Everybody!
My friends all drive porsches, I must make amends,
So oh lord, wont you buy me a mercedes benz ?

Edited by 16track, 11 September 2007 - 08:04 AM.

#331 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12,436 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 02:28 PM

Thanks bods!

If you have the copies then lets have another night at my place. THis time a Blues night, eh?
Still have a few bottles of wine in stockt plus the one you left.

Back to the blues:

I was listening to some early SRV tunes the other day in heavy traffic and it was pleasant thing to remember how Albert King had influenced him. Of course Stevie played and sounded like himself --but it was very hard not to hear Albert King's style in his runs. As I mentioned before, Clapton had Robert Johnson and BB King within him but SRV was clearly an Albert King follower - not to mention a Jimi Hendrix devotee as well. Not too far off as Hendrix acknowledged Albert King in early interviews too.

Relatively, I don't know if I had said this before but Albert King once narrated that he went with Hendrix to some bar in the 60's and they were both floored by the female singer who had a distinct and unique way of singing -- a clear influence of the blues was obvious. The singer of course was Janis Joplin.

At the RJUR, the moring DJ plays this Joplin tune each morning as one of her opening records:
JANIS JOPLIN-- MERCEDS BENZ
My friends all drive porsches, I must make amends.
So lord, wont you buy me a mercedes benz ?

Oh lord, wont you buy me a color tv ?
Dialing for dollars is trying to find me.
I wait for delivery each day until three,
So oh lord, wont you buy me a color tv ?

Im counting on you, lord, please dont let me down.
Prove that you love me and buy the next round,

Everybody!
My friends all drive porsches, I must make amends,
So oh lord, wont you buy me a mercedes benz ?

ok will inform you once I have the copies. I have already downloaded PRESENCE OF THE LORD and CANT' FIND MY WAY HOME plus some smatterrings of the Allman Bros. Band - Jessica, Desdemona, Statesboro Blues, Ramblin' Man etc. Also nuggets from The Guess Who - No Time, American Woman, She's Come Undone, Clap for the Wolfman and their rare 10 minute opus Friends of Mine...

See you pare!

#332 gadalej

gadalej

palikerong tapat

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • 1,493 posts
  • Interests:books, music (rock, blues, death before disco!), food!!, theater, movies, comics

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:58 PM

gud pm bros!

im looking for a copy of binky lampano's i read the news album. cd format. im willing to trade a copy of robert johnson, the complete recordings (2 cds), eric clapton lost jams (mostly live performances from the prince's trust concerts, and clapton blues concert (2 cds). in the lost jams album, he played layla with mark knopfler on rhythm guitars, phil collins on drums and elton john on piano. there is one song(i forgot which) where he had steve vai and bb king on guitars and steven tyler on back up vocals.

ive been looking for this album for the past 10 years, so if any one can help me out id appreciate it very much.

#333 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12,436 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:02 PM

gud pm bros!

im looking for a copy of binky lampano's i read the news album. cd format. im willing to trade a copy of robert johnson, the complete recordings (2 cds), eric clapton lost jams (mostly live performances from the prince's trust concerts, and clapton blues concert (2 cds). in the lost jams album, he played layla with mark knopfler on rhythm guitars, phil collins on drums and elton john on piano. there is one song(i forgot which) where he had steve vai and bb king on guitars and steven tyler on back up vocals.

ive been looking for this album for the past 10 years, so if any one can help me out id appreciate it very much.

good luck pare.
Have also been looking for any binky lampano album. Your blues cd's seem juicy enough for a trade.

#334 gadalej

gadalej

palikerong tapat

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • 1,493 posts
  • Interests:books, music (rock, blues, death before disco!), food!!, theater, movies, comics

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:31 PM

good luck pare.
Have also been looking for any binky lampano album. Your blues cd's seem juicy enough for a trade.

if you want copies, i could burn you some dude. good music should be shared. madami lumabas nung lampano alley, i also have one. as far as i know binky made 3 albums. deans december, i read the news and songs from the alley. and two cuts from 10 of another kind. yung deans december lumabas lang as tape, same as i read the news. i have 10 of another kind and songs from the alley. i can throw them in to if you want.

#335 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12,436 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:36 PM

if you want copies, i could burn you some dude. good music should be shared. madami lumabas nung lampano alley, i also have one. as far as i know binky made 3 albums. deans december, i read the news and songs from the alley. and two cuts from 10 of another kind. yung deans december lumabas lang as tape, same as i read the news. i have 10 of another kind and songs from the alley. i can throw them in to if you want.

thanks pare! would appreciate that.
We might have another gathering with 16track as soon as I also finish his requested CD's. Maybe you can join us and let's share. Ordinary hanging-loose lang 'tong mga meetings namin - some wine, great food but with lots of MUSIC!! Last time it was more of a jazz night. We're planning on the next one to be more on the blues, pare...

#336 gadalej

gadalej

palikerong tapat

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 02:02 PM

thanks pare! would appreciate that.
We might have another gathering with 16track as soon as I also finish his requested CD's. Maybe you can join us and let's share. Ordinary hanging-loose lang 'tong mga meetings namin - some wine, great food but with lots of MUSIC!! Last time it was more of a jazz night. We're planning on the next one to be more on the blues, pare...

sige. just pm me whenand where and what to bring. i'll start burning you the cds para i can bring it anytime.

#337 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12,436 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 08:18 PM

sige. just pm me whenand where and what to bring. i'll start burning you the cds para i can bring it anytime.

no word yet from 16track. I believe he is into one of his out-of-town jaunts again. We'll PM you pare once we set up something.

BTw, did anybody get to see Binky Lampano last Thursday at the RJ Bar? This was supposed to be his last gig here before flying again to the States.....

#338 16track

16track

Lover

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 07:22 AM

HI Bods!

Just got back from a trip. Let me know when you guys prefer to meet up again.

#339 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12,436 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:55 PM

HI Bods!

Just got back from a trip. Let me know when you guys prefer to meet up again.

Great! I already have the Blind Faith and Allman Bros you requested hehehe.

#340 Defiant

Defiant

Wooer

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 12:00 AM

I've always been a big big blues fan!!! :mtc: :thumbsupsmiley:

Allman Bros, Muddy Waters, Z.Z. Hill, B.B. King, Howlin Wolf... I've got a couple of their songs on my Ipod. My favorite song is Manteca by Dizzy Gillespie.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users