90's Revisited

VICIOUS

DERRICK CARTER

Born and raised in the western suburbs, Carter was into music from a young age, but during his teens Chicago's house scene sucked him in for good. Before long Carter became a strong presence in the city's underground dance scene. "When I got my driver's license at 16 my sneak ability was validated," he laughs. "I was a fierce bedroom jock for a long time. After you mix for the love of it for six or seven years, you get it pretty tight and you can take it on the road." He got by working at dance-music specialty stores like Gramaphone and gigging at parties. Later he landed regular DJ stints at Shelter, Foxy's, and Smart Bar. Though he doesn't spin much locally anymore, when he does he attracts large crowds. His sets are rooted in house, but he freely travels outside club tastes, seamlessly incorporating old-school disco, soul, jazz, and whatever else catches his fancy. Most of the time he works in Europe, where he's become a minor celebrity among dance-music aficionados. Carter says that due to his growing notoriety his production talents have been requested by pop-oriented acts. But he prefers to remain underground. Although enthused about his own Blue Cucaracha label and a new UK-based imprint he runs called Classic, he's reluctant to offer much explanation of either label's MO--other than each releases records when the mood strikes him. "I like to keep myself pretty invisible. You may think I'm somewhere, but I've already left."

ahh yes! the 90's...

dito ako naging "rocker" hehehe...

The first time I heard the song "I remember you" by Skid Row --> Poof! immediate change of heart.

I told myself "what have I been listening to lately?" then I started listening to Extreme, White Lion, Poison, Def Leppart, Van Halen, Metallica, GNR, Bon Jovi (they were ok way back then)...

After that, I found myself strumming the guitar, starting up a band, HELL even my way of clothing was changed! those were the days, those were the days...

:thumbsupsmiley:

my 90 's alternative list

Weezer – The Good Life

Beck – Devils Haircut

Better Than Ezra – Good

Collective Soul – Gel

Cowboy Junkies – Sweet jane

Fountains of Wayne – Radiation Vibe

Freedy johnston – bad rep*tation

Liz Phair – Polyester Bride

Matthew Sweet – Sick of myself

Nirvana – Verse Chorus Verse

REM – Crush with eyeliner

Silverchair – Tomorrow

Soul Asylum – Somebody to shove

Stereo MC’s – Connected

Wanderlust – I Walked

Ween – Voodoo

Everclear – Heartspark Dollar sign

Wilco – box full of letters

Cracker – Teen Angst

Dinasour Jr – Feel the pain

Eels- Novacaine

Foo Fighters – Big Me

Goldfinger – Mable

James – Laid

Letters to cleo – here and now

Liz Phair – Supernova

Matthew Sweet- girlfriend

Mazzy Starr – HALLAH

Meat Puppets – backwater

Nada Surf – popular

Nirvana – Where did you sleep last night

REM – Bang and Blame

Spacehog – in the meantime

Sponge - Molly

Superdrag – who sucked out the feeling?

The Jayhawks – Blue

The Refreshments – El Banditos

White Town – Your Woman

may hinananap akong song di ko alam yung pamagat tsaka kung sinong band yung kumanta pero parang may lyrics sya na "stay with me, far down wasted dream youll see the trouble i can do today"

di rin ako sure sa lyrics eh, punyeta, can anyone help me?

PEARL JAM

Pearl Jam rose from the ashes of Mother Love Bone to become the most popular American rock & roll band of the '90s. After vocalist Andrew Wood overdosed on heroin in 1990, guitarist Stone Gossard and bassist Jeff Ament assembled a new band, bringing in Mike McCready on lead guitar and recording a demo with Soundgarden's Matt Cameron on drums. Thanks to future Pearl Jam drummer Jack Irons, the demo found its way to a 25-year-old San Diego surfer named Eddie Vedder, who overdubbed vocals and original lyrics and was subsequently invited to join the band (then christened Mookie Blaylock after the NBA player). Dave Krusen was hired as the full-time drummer shortly thereafter, completing the original lineup. Renaming themselves Pearl Jam, the band recorded their debut album, Ten, in the beginning of 1991, although it wasn't released until August; in the meantime, the majority of the band appeared on the Andrew Wood tribute project Temple of the Dog. Ten didn't begin selling in significant numbers until early 1992, after Nirvana made mainstream rock radio receptive to alternative rock acts. Soon, Pearl Jam outsold Nirvana, which wasn't surprising -- Pearl Jam fused the riff-heavy stadium rock of the '70s with the grit and anger of '80s post-punk, without ever neglecting hooks and choruses; "Jeremy," "Evenflow," and "Alive" fit perfectly onto album rock radio stations looking for new blood.

Krusen left the band shortly after the release of Ten; he was replaced by Dave Abbruzzese. Pearl Jam's audience continued to grow during 1992, thanks to a series of radio and MTV hits, as well as successful appearances on the second Lollapalooza tour and the Singles soundtrack (Stone Gossard also embarked on a side project called Brad, which released the album Shame in early 1993). Despite their status as rock & roll superstars, the band refused to succumb to the accepted conventions of the music industry. The group refused to release any videos or singles from their second album, 1993's Vs. Nevertheless, it was another multi-platinum success, debuting at number one and selling nearly a million copies in its first week of release. On their spring 1994 American tour, the band decided not to play the conventional stadiums, choosing to play smaller arenas, including several shows on college campuses. Pearl Jam cancelled their 1994 summer tour, claiming they could not keep ticket prices below 20 dollars because Ticketmaster was pressuring promoters to charge a higher price. The band took Ticketmaster to the Justice Department for unfair business practices; while fighting Ticketmaster, they recorded a new album during the spring and summer of 1994. After the record was completed, the group fired Dave Abbruzzese, replacing him with former Red Hot Chili Peppers and Eleven drummer Jack Irons.

Vitalogy, the band's third album, appeared at the end of 1994. For the first two weeks, the album was only available as a limited vinyl release, but the record charted in the Top 60. Once Vitalogy was available on CD and cassette, the album shot to the top of the charts and quickly went multi-platinum. Pearl Jam continued to battle Ticketmaster in 1995, but the Justice Department eventually ruled in favor of the ticket agency. In early 1995, the band recorded an album with Neil Young. Meanwhile, Vedder toured with his wife Beth's experimental band Hovercraft in the spring of 1994 as Stone Gossard founded an independent record company; Mad Season, Mike McCready's side project with Layne Staley of Alice in Chains, released their first album, Above, in the spring of 1995. Comprised entirely of Neil Young songs, Mirror Ball appeared in the summer under Young's name; although the individual members of the band were credited, the name Pearl Jam did not appear on the cover due to legal complications. Pearl Jam released a single culled from the sessions, titled Merkinball and featuring the songs "I Got Id" and "Long Road," in the fall of 1995.

In late summer of 1996, Pearl Jam released their fourth album, No Code. Although the album was greeted with fairly positive reviews and debuted at number one, its weird amalgam of rock, worldbeat, and experimentalism dissatisfied a large portion of their fan base, and it quickly fell down the charts. The record's performance was also hurt by Pearl Jam's inability to launch a full-scale tour, due both to their battle with Ticketmaster and a reluctance to spend months on the road. The band spent most of 1997 out of the spotlight, working on new material; Gossard also released a second album with his side project Brad, titled Interiors. By the end of the year, Pearl Jam had completed a new, harder-rocking record entitled Yield. The album was greeted with enthusiastic reviews upon its February 1998 release, but its commercial fortunes weren't quite as clear cut. While their sizable cult embraced the album, sending it to number two its first week of release, Yield quickly slipped down the charts. Pearl Jam supported the record with a full-scale arena tour in the summer of 1998, issuing the concert LP Live on Two Legs at the end of the year; Jack Irons did not participate due to poor health, and was replaced by ex-Soundgarden drummer Matt Cameron. In 1999, Pearl Jam scored an unlikely pop radio smash with their cover of the J. Frank Wilson oldie "Last Kiss," originally released as the seventh in a series of fan club-only singles that had also featured several incongruous covers in the past. Demand from fans and radio programmers resulted in the nationwide release of "Last Kiss," and it eventually became the band's highest-charting pop hit to date, peaking at number two and going gold. The group returned in 2000 with the Tchad Blake-produced Binaural. In order to circumvent bootleggers, their subsequent European and American tours were recorded in full and released in an unprecedented series of double-CD sets, each of the 72 volumes featuring a complete concert.

post-23387-1139305094.jpg

ALICE IN CHAINS

In many ways, Alice in Chains was the definitive heavy metal band of the early '90s. Drawing equally from the heavy riffing of post-Van Halen metal and the gloomy strains of post-punk, the band developed a bleak, nihilistic sound that balanced grinding hard rock with subtly textured acoustic numbers. They were hard enough for metal fans, yet their dark subject matter and punky attack placed them among the front ranks of the Seattle-based grunge bands. While this dichotomy helped the group soar to multi-platinum status with their second album, 1992's Dirt, it also divided them. Guitarist Jerry Cantrell always leaned toward the mainstream, while vocalist Layne Staley was fascinated with the seamy underground. Such tension drove the band toward stardom in their early years, but following Dirt, Alice in Chains suffered from near-crippling internal tensions that kept the band off the road for the remainder of the '90s and, consequently, the group never quite fulfilled their potential.

Staley formed the initial incarnation of the band while in high school in the mid-'80s, naming the group Alice N Chains. Staley met Cantrell in 1987 at the Seattle rehearsal warehouse the Music Bank and the two began working together, changing the group's name to Alice in Chains. Cantrell's friends Mike Starr (bass) and Sean Kinney (drums) rounded out the lineup,and the band began playing local Seattle clubs. Columbia Records signed the group in 1989 and the label quickly made the band a priority, targeting heavy metal audiences. Early in 1990, the label released the We Die Young EP as a promotional device and the song became a hit on metal radio, setting the stage for the summer release of the group's debut, Facelift. Alice in Chains supported the album by opening for Van Halen, Poison, and Iggy Pop, and it became a hit, going gold by the end of the year. As the band prepared their second album, they released the largely acoustic EP Sap in 1991 to strong reviews.

Prior to the release of Alice in Chains' second album, Seattle became a media sensation thanks to the surprise success of Nirvana. As a result, Alice was now marketed as an alternative band, not as a metal outfit, and the group landed a song, the menacing "Would?," on the Singles soundtrack during the summer of 1992. "Would?" helped build anticipation for Dirt, the group's relentlessly bleak second album that was released in the fall of 1992 to very good reviews. Following its release, Starr left and was replaced by Mike Inez. Dirt went platinum by the end of 1992, but its gloomy lyrics launched many rumors that Staley was addicted to heroin. Alice in Chains soldiered on in the face of such criticism, performing successfully on the third Lollapalooza tour in 1993, which helped Dirt reach sales of three million.

The band released the low-key EP Jar of Flies in early 1994. It debuted at number one upon its release, becoming the first EP to top the album charts. Despite the band's continued success, they stayed off the road, which fueled speculation that Staley was mired in heroin addiction. Later that year, Staley did give a few concerts as part of the Gacy Bunch, a Seattle supergroup also featuring Pearl Jam's Mike McCready, the Screaming Trees' Barrett Martin, and John Saunders. The group subsequently renamed itself Mad Season and released Above in early 1995. Later that year, Alice in Chains re-emerged with an eponymous third album, which debuted at number one on the American charts. Again, the band chose not to tour, which launched yet another round of speculation that band was suffering from various addictions and were on the verge of disbanding. The group did give one concert -- their first in three years -- in 1996, performing for an episode of MTV Unplugged, which was released as an album that summer. Despite its success, the album did nothing to dispel doubts about the group's future and neither did Cantrell's solo album, Boggy Depot, in 1998.

Cantrell basically released Boggy Depot because he couldn't get Staley to work, but its very existence -- and the presence of Inez and Kinney on the record, not to mention Alice producer Toby Wright -- seemed to confirm that the group was on moratorium at best, defunct at worst. Staley, for his part, stayed quiet, conceding his spot on Mad Season's second album to Screaming Trees singer Mark Lanegan. In 1999, Sony put together a three-disc Alice in Chains box set, Music Bank, divided between the group's best work and assorted rarities. At the turn of the new millennium, Columbia Records issued Live, which plucked material from bootlegs, demos, and festival shows covering the years 1990, 1993, and 1996.

As if the group hadn't been repackaged as many times as possible with its limited repertoire, a ten-track best-of set, Greatest Hits, appeared in July 2001. With no sign of the group reclaiming their spot atop the alt-metal heap (and such copycat acts as Godsmack, Days of the New, Puddle of Mudd, and Creed taking the Alice in Chains formula to the top of the charts), Cantrell completed his sophomore solo effort, Degradation Trip, in 2002. But just two months before the album's release, in April 2002, the news that every Alice in Chains fan had been fearing for years had finally come to pass: Layne Staley was found dead due to a lethal overdose of cocaine and heroin. Although understandably grief-stricken, Cantrell launched his solo album's supporting tour according to schedule, opting to open shows in the summer for another Alice in Chains-influenced band, Nickelback

post-23387-1139305454.jpg

SOUNDGARDEN

Soundgarden made a place for heavy metal in alternative rock. Their fellow Seattle rockers Green River may have spearheaded the grunge sound, but they relied on noise rock in the vein of the Stooges. Similarly, Jane's Addiction were too fascinated with prog rock and performance art to appeal to a wide array of metal fans. Soundgarden, however, developed directly out of the grandiose blues-rock of Led Zeppelin and the sludgy, slow riffs of Black Sabbath. Which isn't to say they were a straight-ahead metal band. Soundgarden borrowed the D.I.Y. aesthetics of punk, melding their guitar-driven sound with an intelligence and ironic sense of humor that was indebted to the American underground of the mid-'80s. Furthermore, the band rarely limited itself to simple, pounding riffs, often making detours into psychedelia. But the group's key sonic signatures -- the gutsy wail of vocalist Chris Cornell and the winding riffs of guitarist Kim Thayil -- were what brought them out of the underground. Not only were they one of the first groups to record for the legendary Seattle indie Sub Pop, but they were the first grunge band to sign to a major label. In fact, most critics expected Soundgarden to be the band that broke down the doors for alternative rock, not Nirvana. However, the group didn't experience an across-the-boards success until 1994, when Superunknown became a number one hit.

For a band so heavily identified with the Seattle scene, its ironic that two of its founding members were from the Midwest. Kim Thayil (guitar), Hiro Yamamoto (bass), and Bruce Pavitt were all friends in Illinois who decided to head to Olympia, WA, to attend college after high school graduation in 1981. Though none of the three completed college, all of them became involved in the Washington underground music scene. Pavitt was the only one who didn't play -- he founded a fanzine that later became the Sub Pop record label. Yamamoto played in several cover bands before forming a band in 1984 with his roommate Chris Cornell (vocals), a Seattle native who had previously played drums in several bands. Thayil soon joined the duo and the group named itself Soundgarden after a local Seattle sculpture. Scott Sundquist originally was the band's drummer, but he was replaced by Matt Cameron in 1986. Over the next two years, Soundgarden gradually built up a devoted cult following through their club performances.

Pavitt signed Soundgarden to his fledgling Sub Pop label in the summer of 1987, releasing the single "Hunted Down" before the EP Screaming Life appeared later in the year. Screaming Life and the group's second EP, 1988's FOPP, became underground hits and earned the attention of several major labels. The band decided to sign to SST instead of a major, releasing Ultramega OK by the end of 1988. Ultramega OK received strong reviews among alternative and metal publications, and the group decided to make the leap to a major for its next album, 1989's Louder Than Love. Released on A&M Records, Louder Than Love became a word-of-mouth hit, earning positive reviews from mainstream publications, peaking at 108 on the charts, and earning a Grammy nomination. Following the album's fall 1989 release, Yamamoto left the band to return to school. Jason Everman, a former guitarist for Nirvana, briefly played with the band before Ben Shepherd joined in early 1990.

Soundgarden's third album, 1991's Badmotorfinger, was heavily anticipated by many industry observers as a potential breakout hit. Though it was a significant hit, reaching number 39 on the album charts, its success was overshadowed by the surprise success of Nirvana's Nevermind, which was released the same month as Badmotorfinger. Prior to Nevermind, Soundgarden had been marketed by A&M as a metal band, and the group had agreed to support Guns n' Roses on the fall 1991 Lose Your Illusion tour. While the tour did help sales, Soundgarden benefited primarily from the grunge explosion, whose media attention helped turn the band into stars. The band was also helped by the Top Ten success of Temple of the Dog, a tribute to deceased Mother Love Bone singer Andrew Wood that Cornell and Cameron recorded with members of Pearl Jam. By the spring release of 1994's Superunknown, Soundgarden's following had grown considerably, which meant that the album debuted at number one upon its release. (A year before its release, Shepherd and Cameron released an eponymous album by their side project, Hater.) Superunknown became one of the most popular records of 1994, generating a genuine crossover hit with "Black Hole Sun," selling over three million copies and earning two Grammies. Soundgarden returned in 1996 with Down on the Upside, which entered the charts at number two. Despite the record's strong initial sales, it failed to generate a big hit, and was hurt by grunge's fading popularity. Soundgarden retained a sizable audience -- the album did go platinum, and they were co-headliners on the sixth Lollapalooza -- but they didn't replicate the blockbuster success of Superunknown. After completing an American tour following Lollapalooza that was plagued by rumors of internal fighting, Soundgarden announced that they were breaking up on April 9, 1997, to pursue other interests

post-23387-1139305641.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

ENIGMA

Enigma is the duo of Michael Cretu and Sandra Lauer. German singer Sandra Lauer did the female vocals in the songs of Enigma. Romanian-born Michael Cretu did the production work. Eventually, Michael Cretu married Sandra Lauer.

Michael Cretu came out in the 80s with one minor hit in Europe and the Philippines called "Love Me", but largely ignored elsewhere.

Michael Cretu, who had classical music training in his youth, decided to adapt a different concept and came up with a unique project that became Enigma. Virgin Records signed them up and the first Enigma album surfaced in late 1990 called "MCMXC aD"

With their 1991 hit "Sadeness," Enigma brought the new age fascination with Gregorian chants and old-world culture to the clubs; the resulting single was both unique and irresistible. The rest of the album followed that pattern successfully, although without quite matching the stunning success of the hit single. On their second album, 1993's Cross of Changes, some of the old-world elements remained, but the new age angle came to the forefront in a set of slick, radio-friendly dance-pop. The album churned out a second international hit "Return to Innocence" with a music video featuring everything backwards. Enigma 3: Le Roi Est Mort, Vive le Roi followed in 1996. A side project, Trance Atlantic Airwaves, issued The Energy of Sound in 1998. The fourth Enigma record, The Screen Behind the Mirror, followed in early 2000.

Enigma's music is very much in use in nightclubs. Aside from "Sadeness" and "Return to Innocence", songs like "Principles of Lust", "Mea Culpa" and "Moment of Peace" are familiar tunes

PORNO FOR PYROS

Perry Farrell's post-Jane's Addiction band, Porno for Pyros, followed the same path as his previous band, combining art rock, punk, heavy metal, and funk into one shrieking whole. On their self-titled 1993 debut, Farrell's pretensions got out of hand at times, resulting in some ridiculously self-absorbed conceptual pieces sitting next to some straightforward rockers and pop songs; it sold well at first, but soon slipped down the charts. While he prepared new Porno material in 1994, Farrell returned to the organization of Lollapalooza -- the traveling rock festival he conceived -- for the first time since 1992. The band released Good Gods Urge in 1996. It had one hit that reached the Top 10 called "Pets."

Although Good Gods Urge was a successful release from both an artistic and musical standpoint, the album disappeared from the charts shortly after its release. On the album's ensuing tour, former Minutemen/fIREHOSE bassist Mike Watt filled in for the departed Lenoble, and to the delight of longtime Jane's Addiction fans, guitarist Dave Navarro was a special surprise guest on select dates as well. After the album's ensuing tour wrapped up in early 1997 (and a pair of Porno for Pyros songs appeared on the motion picture soundtracks for The Cable Guy and Private Parts), Farrell promptly ended the group, as he focused on a solo recording career as well as sporadic Jane's Addiction reunion shows.

post-72595-1140262535.jpg

MARIAH CAREY

The best-selling female performer of the 1990s, Mariah Carey rose to superstardom on the strength of her stunning five-octave voice; an elastic talent who moved easily from glossy ballads to hip-hop-inspired dance-pop, she earned frequent comparison to rivals Whitney Houston and Celine Dion, but did them both one better by composing all of her own material. Born in Long Island, NY, on March 27, 1970, Carey moved to New York City at the age of 17 -- just one day after graduating high school -- to pursue a music career; there she befriended keyboardist Ben Margulies, with whom she began writing songs. Her big break came as a backing vocalist on a studio session with dance-pop singer Brenda K. Starr, who handed Carey's demo tape to Columbia Records head Tommy Mottola at a party. According to legend, Mottola listened to the tape in his limo while driving home that same evening, and was so immediately struck by Carey's talent that he doubled back to the party to track her down.

After signing to Columbia, Carey entered the studio to begin work on her 1990 self-titled debut LP; the heavily promoted album was a chart-topping smash, launching no less than four number one singles: "Vision of Love," "Love Takes Time," "Someday," and "I Don't Wanna Cry." Her overnight success earned Grammy awards as Best New Artist and Best Female Vocalist, and expectations were high for Carey's follow-up, 1991's Emotions. The album did not disappoint, as the title track reached number one -- a record fifth consecutive chart-topper -- while both "Can't Let Go" and "Make It Happen" landed in the Top Five. Carey's next release was 1992's MTV Unplugged EP, which generated a number-one cover of the Jackson 5's "I'll Be There"; featured on the track was backup singer Trey Lorenz, whose appearance immediately helped him land a recording contract of his own.

In June 1993, Carey wed Mottola -- some two decades her senior -- in a headline-grabbing ceremony; months later she released her third full-length effort, Music Box, her best-selling record to date. Two more singles, "Dreamlover" and "Hero," reached the top spot on the charts. Carey's first tour followed and was widely panned by critics; undaunted, she resurfaced in 1994 with a holiday release titled Merry Christmas, scoring a seasonal smash with "All I Want for Christmas Is You." 1995's Daydream reflected a new artistic maturity; the first single, "Fantasy," debuted at number one, making Carey the first female artist and just the second performer ever to accomplish the feat. The follow-up, "One Sweet Day" -- a collaboration with Boyz II Men -- repeated the trick, and remained lodged at the top of the charts for a record 16 weeks.

After separating from Mottola, Carey returned in 1997 with Butterfly, another staggering success and her most hip-hop-flavored recording to date. #1's -- a collection featuring her 13 previous chart-topping singles as well as "The Prince of Egypt (When You Believe)," a duet with Whitney Houston effectively pairing the two most successful female recording artists in pop history -- followed late the next year. With "Heartbreaker," the first single from her 1999 album Rainbow, Carey became the first artist to top the charts in each year of the 1990s; the record also pushed her ahead of the Beatles as the artist with the most cumulative weeks spent atop the Hot 100 singles chart.

However, the 2000s weren't as kind to Carey. After signing an 80 million dollar deal with Virgin -- the biggest record contract ever -- in 2001 she experienced a very public personal and professional meltdown that included rambling, suicidal messages on her website; an appearance on TRL where, clad only in a T-shirt, she handed out Popsicles to the audience; and last but not least, the stupendously awful movie Glitter and its attendant soundtrack (which was also her Virgin Records debut). Both the film and the album did poorly critically as well as commercially, with Glitter making just under 4 million dollars in its total U.S. gross and the soundtrack struggling to make gold sales. Following these failures, Virgin and Carey parted ways early in 2002, with the label paying her 28 million dollars. That spring, she found a new home with Island/Def Jam, where she set up her own label, MonarC Music. In December, she released her ninth album, Charmbracelet. The album did not have the success of past albums. The album was a disappointment in commercial success.

2005 marked another milestone for Carey. Her album, The Emancipation of Mimi, chalked up four hits that went to the top of the charts or near the top of the charts. The album garnered her several nominations in the Grammy Awards in 2006.

post-23387-1140705035.jpg

ENIGMA

Enigma is the duo of Michael Cretu and Sandra Lauer.  German singer Sandra Lauer did the female vocals in the songs of Enigma.  Romanian-born Michael Cretu did the production work.  Eventually, Michael Cretu married Sandra Lauer.

Michael Cretu came out in the 80s with one minor hit in Europe and the Philippines called "Love Me", but largely ignored elsewhere.

Michael Cretu, who had classical music training in his youth, decided to adapt a different concept and came up with a unique project that became Enigma.  Virgin Records signed them up and the first Enigma album surfaced in late 1990 called "MCMXC aD"

With their 1991 hit "Sadeness," Enigma brought the new age fascination with Gregorian chants and old-world culture to the clubs; the resulting single was both unique and irresistible. The rest of the album followed that pattern successfully, although without quite matching the stunning success of the hit single. On their second album, 1993's Cross of Changes, some of the old-world elements remained, but the new age angle came to the forefront in a set of slick, radio-friendly dance-pop. The album churned out a second international hit "Return to Innocence" with a music video featuring everything backwards.  Enigma 3: Le Roi Est Mort, Vive le Roi followed in 1996. A side project, Trance Atlantic Airwaves, issued The Energy of Sound in 1998. The fourth Enigma record, The Screen Behind the Mirror, followed in early 2000.

Enigma's music is very much in use in nightclubs.  Aside from "Sadeness" and "Return to Innocence", songs like "Principles of Lust", "Mea Culpa" and "Moment of Peace" are familiar tunes

moment of peace is not by enigma.thats gregorian masters of chant

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

THE BRAND NEW HEAVIES

Pioneers of the London acid jazz scene, the Brand New Heavies translated their love for the funk grooves of the 1970s into a sophisticated sound which carried the torch for classic soul in an era dominated by hip-hop. Formed in 1985 by drummer/keyboardist Jan Kincaid, guitarist Simon Bartholomew, and bassist/keyboardist Andrew Levy -- longtime school friends from the London suburb of Ealing -- the Brand New Heavies were originally an instrumental unit inspired by the James Brown and Meters records its members heard while clubbing the rare groove scene in vogue at the moment. The trio soon began recording their own music, gaining enormous exposure when their demo tracks were spun at the influential Cat in the Hat Club.

Eventually adding a brass section, the Brand New Heavies built a cult following throughout the London club circuit, surviving the shift which saw the rare groove scene fade in the wake of acid house. After an earlier recording deal with Cooltempo yielded the single "Got to Give," the Heavies -- now including vocalist Jay Ella Ruth -- signed with the fledgling indie label Acid Jazz; recorded on a budget of just 8,000 pounds, the group's self-titled LP appeared in 1990 to strong critical acclaim, resulting in a licensing deal with the American company Delicious Vinyl. With Ruth now out of the band, Delicious Vinyl hand-picked N'dea Davenport as her successor, insisting the Heavies re-record tracks from their debut for their first U.S. effort, also an eponymous release which appeared in 1992.

After scoring at home with "Dream Come True" and "Stay This Way," the single "Never Stop" soon landed on the American R&B and pop charts, with the Heavies the first British group to accomplish such a feat with a debut single since Soul II Soul several years earlier; a subsequent New York performance augmented by rappers Q-Tip (A Tribe Called Quest) and MC Serch (3rd Bass) inspired the group to begin absorbing hip-hop, and that summer they cut Heavy Rhyme Experience, Vol. 1, an album including guest appearances by rappers including Main Source, Gang Starr, Grand Puba, and the Pharcyde. 1994's Brother Sister, which went platinum in Britain, was Davenport's last recording with the Heavies before beginning a solo career; she was replaced by singer Siedah Garrett in time for 1997's Shelter. Two years later, the group reappeared with a British best-of album entitled Trunk Funk: The Best of the Brand New Heavies; the title was recycled the following year for an American compilation, Trunk Funk Classics 1991-2000, which featured a new song recorded with Davenport.

Stay This Way

post-23387-1151748389.jpg

bands that made their mark during the 90's -- alice in chians, nirvana, oasis, radiohead, sonic youth, soundgarden, rage against the machine, pearl jam, silver chair, bush, green day, metallica, blind melon, spin doctors, counting crows, collective soul, days of the new, dave matthews band, isip pa ko!

opm bands during the 90's -- eraserheads, yano, worlfgang, razorback, datu's tribe, the weed, the youth, grin department, color it red, orient pearl, alamid, sky church, agaw agimat, rivermaya, parokya ni edgar, pot, tropical depression, sugar hiccup, backdraft, advent call, tame the tikbalang, true faith, death by stereo, mariyas mistress, put3ska, rizal underground, i axe, isip pa ulit ako!

Edited by chopst1ck
  • 8 months later...

The Number 1 hits of the 1990s based on Billboard Magazine's charts:

December 23, 1989 - January 13, 1990: Another Day In Paradise - Phil Collins

January 20 - February 9: How Am I Supposed To Live Without You - Michael Bolton

February 10 - March 2: Opposites Attract - Paula Abdul with The Wild Pair

March 3 - March 23: Escapade - Janet Jackson

March 24 - April 6: Black Velvet - Alannah Myles

April 7 - April 13: Love Will Lead You Back - Taylor Dayne

April 14 - April 20: I'll Be Your Everything - Tommy Page

April 21 - May 18: Nothing Compares 2 U - Sinead O'Connor

May 19 - June 8: Vogue - Madonna

June 9 - June 15: Hold On - Wilson Phillips

June 16 - June 29: It Must Have Been Love - Roxette

June 30 - July 21: Step by Step - New Kids on the Block

July 21 - August 3: She Ain't Worth It - Glenn Medeiros featuring Bobby Brown

August 4 - August 31: Vision of Love - Mariah Carey

September 1 - September 7: If Wishes Came True - Sweet Sensation

September 8 - September 14: Blaze of Glory Jon - Bon Jovi

September 15 - September 29: Release Me - Wilson Phillips

September 29 - October 5: (I Can't Live Without Your) Love & Affection - Nelson

October 6 - October 12 - Close to You - Maxi Priest

October 13 - October 19: Praying for Time - George Michael

October 20 - October 26: I Don't Have the Heart - James Ingram

October 27 - November 2: Black Cat - Janet Jackson

November 3 - November 9: Ice Ice Baby - Vanilla Ice

November 10 - November 30: Love Takes Time - Mariah Carey

December 1 - December 7: I'm Your Baby Tonight - Whitney Houston

December 8, 1990 - January 4, 1991: Because I Love You (The Postman Song) - Stevie B

December 8, 1990 - January 4, 1991: Because I Love You (The Postman Song) - Stevie B

January 5 - January 18: Justify My Love - Madonna

January 19 January 25: Love Will Never Do (Without You) - Janet Jackson

January 26 - February 8: The First Time - Surface

February 9 - February 22: Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now) - C&C Music Factory featuring Freedom Williams

February 23 - March 8: All the Man That I Need - Whitney Houston

March 9 - March 23: Someday - Mariah Carey

March 23 - March 29: One More Try - Timmy T.

March 30 - April 12: Coming out of the Dark - Gloria Estefan

April 13 - April 19: I've Been Thinking About You - Londonbeat

April 20 - April 26: You're in Love - Wilson Phillips

April 27 - May 10: Baby Baby - Amy Grant

May 11 - May 17: Joyride - Roxette

May 18 - May 24: I Like the Way (The Kissing Game) - Hi-Five

May 25 - June 7: I Don't Wanna Cry - Mariah Carey

June 8 - June 14: More Than Words - Extreme

June 15 - July 19: Rush, Rush - Paula Abdul

July 20 - July 26: Unbelievable - EMF

July 27 - September 23: (Everything I Do) I Do It for You - Bryan Adams

September 14 - September 20: The Promise of a New Day - Paula Abdul

September 21 - October 4: I Adore Mi Amor - Color Me Badd

October 5 - October 11: Good Vibrations - Marky Mark & the Funky Bunch featuring Loleatta Holloway

October 12 - November 1: Emotions - Mariah Carey

November 2 - November 8: Romantic - Karyn White

November 9 - November 22: Cream - Prince & the New Power Generation

November 23 - November 29: When a Man Loves a Woman - Michael Bolton

November 30 - December 6: Set Adrift on Memory Bliss - PM Dawn

December 7, 1991- January 24, 1992: Black Or White - Michael Jackson

December 7, 1991- January 24, 1992: Black Or White - Michael Jackson

January 25 - January 31: All 4 Love - Color Me Badd

February 1 - February 7: Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me - George Michael/Elton John

February 8 - February 28: I'm Too Sexy - Right Said Fred

February 29 - March 20: To Be With You - Mr. Big

March 21 - April 24: Save the Best For Last - Vanessa Williams

April 25 - June 19: Jump - Kris Kross

June 20 -July 3: I'll Be There - Mariah Carey

July 4 - August 7: Baby Got Back - Sir Mix-A-Lot

August 8 - August 14: This Used To Be My Playground - Madonna

August 15 - November 13: End of the Road - Boyz II Men

November 14 - November 28: How Do You Talk To An Angel - The Heights

November 29, 1992 - March 5, 1993: I Will Always Love You - Whitney Houston

November 29, 1992 - March 5, 1993: I Will Always Love You - Whitney Houston

March 6 - March 12: A Whole New World (Aladdin's Theme) - Peabo Bryson & Regina Belle

March 13 - April 30: Informer - Snow

May 1 - May 14: Freak Me - Silk

May 15 - July 9: That's The Way Love Goes - Janet Jackson

July 10 - July 23: Weak - SWV (Sisters With Voices)

July 24 - September 11: I Can't Help Falling In Love - UB40

September 11 - November 5: Dreamlover - Mariah Carey

November 6 - December 10: I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That) - Meat Loaf

December 11 - December 24: Again - Janet Jackson

December 25 - January 21: Hero - Mariah Carey

December 25 - January 21: Hero - Mariah Carey

January 22 - February 11: All For Love - Bryan Adams/Rod Stewart/Sting

February 12 - March 11: Power of Love - Céline Dion

March 12 - April 15: The Sign - Ace of Base

April 16 - May 20: Bump N' Grind - R. Kelly

May 21 - August 5: I Swear - All-4-One

August 6 - August 26: Stay (I Missed You) - Lisa Loeb & Nine Stories

August 27 - December 2: I'll Make Love To You - Boyz II Men

December 3, 1994 - January 13, 1995: On Bended Knee - Boyz II Men

December 3, 1994 - January 13, 1995: On Bended Knee - Boyz II Men

January 14 - January 27: Here Comes the Hotstepper - Ini Kamoze

January 28 - February 24: Creep - TLC

February 25 - April 14: Take A Bow - Madonna

April 15 - June 2: This Is How We Do It - Montell Jordan

June 3 - July 7: Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman - Bryan Adams

July 8 - August 25: Waterfalls - TLC

August 26 - September 1: Kiss From A Rose - Seal

September 2 - September 8: You Are Not Alone - Michael Jackson

September 9 - September 29: Gangsta's Paradise - Coolio

September 30 - November 24: Fantasy - Mariah Carey

November 25 - December 1: Exhale (Shoop Shoop) - Whitney Houston

December 2, 1995 - March 22, 1996: One Sweet Day - Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men

December 2, 1995 - March 22, 1996: One Sweet Day - Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men

March 23 - May 3: Because You Loved Me - Celine Dion

May 4 - May 17: Always Be My Baby - Mariah Carey

May 18 - July 12: Tha Crossroads - Bone Thugs N Harmony

July 13 - July 26: How Do U Want It - 2Pac featuring K-Ci and JoJo

July 27 - August 2: You're Makin' Me High - Toni Braxton

August 3 - November 9: Macarena (bayside boys remix) -Los Del Rio

November 9 - December 6: No Diggity - Blackstreet featuring Dr. Dre

December 7, 1996 - February 21, 1997: Un-Break My Heart - Toni Braxton

December 7, 1996 - February 21, 1997: Un-Break My Heart - Toni Braxton

February 22 - May 21: Wannabe - Spice Girls

March 22 - May 2: Can't Nobody Hold Me Down - Puff Daddy and Mase

May 3 - May 23: Hypnotize The Notorious B.I.G.

May 24 - June 13: MMMBop - Hanson

June 14 - August 30: I'll Be Missing You - Puff Daddy/Faith Evans/112

August 30 - September 12: Mo' Money, Mo' Problems - The Notorious B.I.G. featuring Puff Daddy and Mase

September 13 - October 3: Honey - Mariah Carey

October 4 - October 10: 4 Seasons of Loneliness - Boyz II Men

October 11 - January 16, 1998: Candle In The Wind 1997 - Elton John

October 11 - January 16, 1998: Candle In The Wind 1997 - Elton John

January 17 - January 30: Truly Madly Deeply - Savage Garden

January 31 - February 13: Together Again - Janet Jackson

February 14 - February 27: Nice & Slow - Usher

February 28 - March 13: My Heart Will Go On - Céline Dion

March 14 - April 3: Gettin' Jiggy Wit' It - Will Smith

April 4 - April 24: All My Life - K-ci and JoJo

April 25 - May 29: Too Close - Next

May 30 - June 5: My All - Mariah Carey

June 6 - September 4: The Boy Is Mine - Brandy & Monica

September 5 - October 2: I Don't Want To Miss A Thing - Aerosmith

October 3 - November 6: The First Night - Monica

November 7 - November 13: One Week - Barenaked Ladies

November 14 - November 27: Doo Wop (That Thing) - Lauryn Hill

November 28- December 4: Lately - Divine

December 5 - January 15: I'm Your Angel R. Kelly & Céline Dion

December 5 - January 15: I'm Your Angel - R. Kelly & Céline Dion

January 16 - January 29: Have You Ever - Brandy

January 30 - February 7: ...Baby One More Time - Britney Spears

February 13 - March 12: Angel Of Mine - Monica

March 13 - April 9: Believe - Cher

April 10 - May 7: No Scrubs - TLC

May 8 - June 4: Livin' La Vida Loca - Ricky Martin

June 5 - July 16: If You Had My Love - Jennifer Lopez

July 17 - July 23: Bills, Bills, Bills - Destiny's Child

July 24 - July 30: Wild Wild West - Will Smith featuring Dru Hill and Kool Moe Dee

July 31 - September 3: Genie In A Bottle - Christina Aguilera

September 4 - September 17: Bailamos - Enrique Iglesias

September 18 - October 8: Unpretty - TLC

October 9 - October 22: Heartbreaker - Mariah Carey featuring Jay-Z

October 23, 1999- January 14, 2000: Smooth - Santana featuring Rob Thomas

Edited by hitman531ph