• Ninoattina likes this

#2 youmakemewannabeabetterman

youmakemewannabeabetterman

in pursuit of happYness...

• (11) Wyld
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:30 PM

agree... "sexy" music is a lot different back then, now it's too vulgar.

#3 karma_police

karma_police

Libertine

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:41 PM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Ak6o6UTjaSw

Please listen to this.(only 2 minutes) It came out in 2011. very good albeit very low key. good music is still out there. but you just have to look harder. :) enjoy :)

Edited by karma_police, 18 March 2014 - 11:46 PM.

#4 gyros

gyros

God of Lust

• (11) Wyld
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,340 posts
  • Interests:reading, movies

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:41 AM

even my two kids (24 and 16) have the 80's and 90's on their iPod....they prefer their parent's music ;)

#5 swynd

swynd

Lover

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:18 PM

It's a nostalgic bias. I agree that there's a lot of trash these days, but then, volume of music is a lot more too, with corresponds to a relative increase in the bad stuff, so it's not as easy to make a sweeping generalization. The baby boomers will frown at 80's and 90's music and espouse their 60's-70's.

But is it equal? I think there's a decline in good music, and by good music, I mean real artistic music, music that strives to really inspire, innovate and the like.. but that's on mainstream channels. The spirit of good music is alive, but less so on mainstream, what with songs being "engineered" to be hits these days. If you consider non-mainstream channels, I'm not quite sure it's all in a spiraling decline into death. It could be just that you don't hear them on the radio as much.

#6 Ryu Ken

Ryu Ken

Looker

• (04) Casual
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Items

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:36 PM

yes agree...Posted Image

#7 filibustero

filibustero

Lover

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:17 PM

Today's music is garbage lyrics are too shallow,80's and 90's are better

do you agree?

Perhaps you can list down a few "better" songs from the 80's and 90's so that we can have a benchmark on what is "non-garbage lyrics"? I agree that those eras produced a lot of good music, but I can also think of music from the 70's or the 2000's that are just as equally good. Each era has its own fair share of epic music I guess.

#8 ricardo23

ricardo23

Wanton

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:27 PM

Perhaps you can list down a few "better" songs from the 80's and 90's so that we can have a benchmark on what is "non-garbage lyrics"? I agree that those eras produced a lot of good music, but I can also think of music from the 70's or the 2000's that are just as equally good. Each era has its own fair share of epic music I guess.

songs from
Guns N Roses
Metallica
Journey
R.E.M.
to name a few

Edited by ricardo23, 19 March 2014 - 07:28 PM.

#9 ricardo23

ricardo23

Wanton

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:51 PM

Non garbage lyrics is lyrics that have deeper impact on the listener, i know there are some good music ,but compared to 80's or 90's it has no match, but its just my opinion and each has their own taste

And in todays music is like a fad, uso lang ngayun,pero wla n nakininig pag di na uso

#10 tk421

tk421

Lover

• (07) Avid Member
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:39 PM

Music appreciation is relative to the times. I think it's fine. 80s and 90s music just elicit feelings of nostalgia for us because we're just getting old and cranky. I'm sure our parents (who were growing up in the 40s-60's) were equally disturbed by 80's and 90's music then.

#11 muttley

muttley

Lover

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:21 PM

Today's music have no durability. At first, they sound OK. But after a few weeks, sawa na ako and I go back to listening to my vintage stuff that will outlast the new material.

#12 great scott

great scott

Charmer

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:40 PM

Tumatanda lang tyo kya ganun, ganun din naman comments ng parents ko way back 80's and 90's mas maganda daw ang 50's and 60's... hahaha

#13 WadeWilson

WadeWilson

Chaser

• (04) Casual
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:18 PM

Sheesh. Not all. Even Bieber -- despite all the hate he gets -- has some decent stuff. And, like two of the posters said, it's all relative and everyone has nostalgic bias.

From the top of my head, here are some current quality acts (although if you don't like my taste, this list would be crappy for you, I guess):

Mumford and Sons
Young the Giant
Above and Beyond
Childish Gambino
Adventure Club
Sky Ferreira
Bonobo
Sbtrkt
The Glitch Mob
The 1975
Macklemore

and much, much more. .

Try music streaming apps like Deezer, Spotify, and our local equivalent, Spinnr. Definitely way better than radio.

There's a lot of good music to be heard out there. Maybe you're just not ready to listen.

#14 hecklerinthestands

hecklerinthestands

Looker

• (04) Casual
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:48 AM

If message boards had existed 20 years ago, I'm sure the same complaints about contemporary music of that time would have been posted.

Tumatanda lang talaga tayo. :P

#15 darkspear

darkspear

Devirginized

• (02) Sinless
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:56 PM

I'll just leave this here.

Posted Image

Don't stop digging for new music. Mainstream music will always suck balls, but great music is just hidden away, waiting to be discovered and for you to appreciate. Sobrang dali nang makadiscover ng music nowadays, maghanap ka lang. :)

Edited by darkspear, 13 May 2014 - 08:57 PM.

#16 hotcoldman

hotcoldman

Experienced

• (04) Casual
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:42 PM

Today's mainstream music scene is garbage, to me at least. The pop stuff just got too "poppy"

#17 smart-ass

smart-ass

Lover

• (07) Avid Member
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 08:58 AM

the music of yesteryears were memorable... today's music are forgettable.. or disposable.. too many lyrics in such a short melody/music.. the whites sing with a monotone drawl.. the blacks.. well.. they sing just to impress other of how good they are.. they don't sing for the love of it.. plain arrogance.. Gone are the likes of big arena rock bands.. the last of which is GREEN DAY.. of Marvin Gaye.. Michael jackson.. etc.. Even the soundtracks of today's movies are dismally unmemorable.. LET IT GO??? the Frozen theme.. ??? seriously.. compare that to previous Disney themes.. or better compare than to last year Oscar winner... SKYFALL by Adele.. a Bond classic.. hopefully the downward spiral trend in music will change..

#18 damian50

damian50

Chaser

• (04) Casual
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Interests:art, living, people

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:31 AM

Kung buhay pa ang barkada kong ma-opinyon, gaito sasabihn nya:

"Wala yang 80s at 90s sa 60s at 70s!"

So mahaba-habang debate...dapat to pag-usapan sa kanto at may toma ;-)

#19 emery

emery

Chaser

• (04) Casual
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:50 AM

Music is subjective. You just have to widen your music selection to discover some real good stuff when it comes to music. :) Also, must be willing to listen to genres outside your chosen ones.
  • nakadashi likes this

#20 Kikko23

Kikko23

Charmer

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:39 PM

Well, the music that we listened to growing up was actually considered garbage by adults as well. In fact, a lot of that music hasn't aged gracefully. I cringe at a lot of the stuff I used to listen to.
  • cocoy0 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users