Fuel Saving Tips

if u want to save .. don't use velocity ... high octane madali masunog ng makina .... unleaded na lang .. yun din naman ang pinakamurang gas e ....  :hypocritesmiley:

I beg to differ. Do not use unleaded and velocity if you want to save. Use the mid-range level (xcs and premium) as these are the most efficient with regards to fuel consumption. try it and you will see. ;)

i also agree to the idea of upshifting when you reach 2000 rpm. I'm driving an automatic car. My fuel consumption increased from est 6 km/lt to 7 km/lt by switching to premium fuel and from est 7 km/lt - 8 km/lt by maintaing my rpm at 2000 80% of the time.

I beg to differ. Do not use unleaded and velocity if you want to save. Use the mid-range level (xcs and premium) as these are the most efficient with regards to fuel consumption. try it and you will see.  ;)

i also agree to the idea of upshifting when you reach 2000 rpm. I'm driving an automatic car. My fuel consumption increased from est 6 km/lt to 7 km/lt by switching to premium fuel and from est 7 km/lt - 8 km/lt by maintaing my rpm at 2000 80% of the time.

"Unleaded" and "premium" by Shell/Caltex/Petron actually have the same octane, its the additive package they put in that differentiates the two grades. Check out the gas pump stickers (upper righthand side of the pump) they will both indicate 93 RON.

I guess the marketing boys did a good job of convincing people of getting the "premium" brand. The real premiums are the Petron 98/Velocity/Caltex gold.

Get an manual tranny, that should be a real gas saver...

nakikidaan lang, pwede bang mag contribute. i have a galant 93 gti medyo malaks. pero here are some of the things i do.

1. planned trips

2. remove unecessary stuffs in the car

3. maintainance

4. no jack rabbit starts

5. STUPIDITY yung papatayin yung engine

6. take the jeep if you can

7. shifting the gears when the tach hits 2000 rpm saves gas but sometimes the engine pings

6. take the jeep if you can

7. shifting the gears when the  tach hits 2000 rpm saves gas but sometimes the engine pings

yeah... commuting is a relatively nice way of saving gas... lalo na kung mag-isa ka lang gumagamit ng auto mo (meaning, wala kang sakay or kasabay), might as well commute... if, you could commute...

...indeed, the engine pings sometimes... also, para bang kapos sa bwelo yung auto mo... pero, i've been trying lately... and, seems good... consumption decreased relatively...

I beg to differ. Do not use unleaded and velocity if you want to save. Use the mid-range level (xcs and premium) as these are the most efficient with regards to fuel consumption. try it and you will see. ;)

...try and you will see .???...i tried and tested 5 different cars manual and automatic... efficiency test ...unleaded is the cheapest .....slowest to burn ...93 RON green sticker? there is a 95 ron in a blue sticker... consumption depends on the car and driver .. but results show that unleaded costs less compared to premium,gold or xcs... computed at the same length and speed of travel ......velocity indeed burns faster than premium ,gold, and xcs..... i'm not sure if it is still the same today .. we tested it last year ... at our Caltex retail station .... :hypocritesmiley:

...try and you will see .???...i tried and tested 5 different cars manual and automatic... efficiency test ...unleaded is the cheapest .....slowest to burn ...93 RON green sticker? there is a 95 ron in a blue sticker... consumption depends on the car and driver .. but results show that unleaded costs less compared to premium,gold or xcs... computed at the same length and speed of travel ......velocity indeed burns faster than premium ,gold, and xcs..... i'm not sure if it is still the same today .. we tested it last year ... at our Caltex retail station .... :hypocritesmiley:

yup i agree. unleaded is the cheapest and slowest to burn. But based on fuel consumption and overall cost saving, the premium level (95 RON) is still the most efficient. this is based on the testimonials and actions of friends, relatives, and customers who have switched from unleaded to the more premium type. :P

Well, one thing NOT to do is to go to the tabi tabi gas stations like filgas, triple V, nation gas, sea oil. Stick with knwon gas stations. These tabi tabi gas stations are know to use adulterants, smuggled/pilfered fuels and bad fuels para makamura. tipid ka at first, pero pagkumatok makina mo, tapos na ang pagtitipid.

Alcogas work on cars with very little tuning, depending on the concentration. California gas is about 5+% ethyl alcohol, no car tuning needed.

But alcohol is produced from foodstocks (rice, potatoes, corn) thus is more expensive than oil even at today's oil prices. The only reason they put alcohol in fuel is to improve the emissions of the engine, and to support the renewable fuels drive ("green" thinking).

it requires tax breaks for manufacturers to be able to put alcohol in gas... and the phil government wont give it yet. I mean, they need every cent they can get!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tip lang if you're driving alone...close the aircon vent on the passenger side so that the fan will direct all the air coming out from the driver side vent and the center vent. This way, you won't have to turn up the fan speed up to the 2nd notch & instead keep it on the lowest fan setting.

High gear low rpm always works...keep revs in between 1700 to 2500 rpm.

Keep windows shut to minimize drag.

Keep tires pressures at their optimum psi level.

yup i agree. unleaded is the cheapest and slowest to burn. But based on fuel consumption and overall cost saving, the premium level (95 RON) is still the most efficient. this is based on the testimonials and actions of friends, relatives, and customers who have switched from unleaded to the more premium type.  :P

a common misconception (due to the marketing hype about premium gasoline).

only use premium or high-octane gasoline if you car requires it. only vehicles with high-compression engine (like the CR-V) requires it since it will stave off engine knocking. check your user's manual. but most run-of-the-mill engines can live on 89 octane gasoline.

using of low-octane gasoline will only lead to poor fuel economy when used on high-comp engines since the spark advance will be retarded (thus lowering fuel economy).

want to verify this? type "low octane fuel economy" in google. i don't think those "testimonials" qualify as such to verify your claim.

• 2 weeks later...

just a suggestion of mine:

- most of us are that have cars are only for home->office->home daily which consumes an average of 8 litters of gasoline daily.

- according to statistics there are at least 25,000 registered cars in metro manila and nearby province that are being use daily thru home->office->home alone, not including some other vehicles. to sum that up this 25,000 cars are being used at an average of 4 days a week. it is 4 days because of odd/even scheme.

- if all of the 25,000 cars limit their usage from 4 days to 2 days. the demand for gasoline will go down at an average of 400k liters of gasoline per week.

- so what does this mean? the law of supply and demand will then be applied, if that is so, this means:

- lower consumption of gasoline because you only used your car 2 days a week and also gasoline prices may be lower down because of the law of supply and demand.

Here's a tip that worked for me before - asisde from shifting up at around 2,000 rpm and accelerating slowly, plan your movement on the road so you won't have to step on the brake pedal. This may mean planning to drive at non-rush hours, staying clear of public utility vehicles, and always observing all the cars around.

Drive when it is cool so you don't need to turn on the airconditioner (early morning or late evening).

When you have the art of predicting other cars OK, you may want to try this, but be aware that it's very dangerous if you're not careful: When you see that you need to stop, remove your foot from the accelerator and shift to neutral to coast the car. Bare in mind that it's only safe to do this when the volume of traffic is very very low. Nowadays, it's impossible to do this.

I tried this before on a Sentra Diesel during the first Gulf War (and my first oil crisis), and was able to improve fuel consumption from 12km/l to 18 km/l city driving (Diliman-Sampaloc-Paranaque route).