Abortion: When Is It Not A Sin?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There are people who hopelessly fail to have children due to incompatible genes or failure to sustain the pregnancy due to a physical weakness/structure of the mother. Is miscarriage considered abortion too? An unborn fetus cannot be a symbol of abortion since it may also represent the result of congenital weakness such as a retroverted uterus. But in the USA today, news is birth defects and problems in pregnancy are traceable to the use of artificial contraceptives. Are these considered abortion too if the death of the fetus was due to the use of artificial contraceptives?

I'm a firm believer in women's rights!

A far greater sin is if you let a child live without providing his/her most basic of rights.

I hate to disagree.. pero abortion is killing the CHILD?? tama ba?? though may point ka becoz mahirap tlga buhayin ang bata ngyn pero.. un ang ginusto ng Diyos e.. so wla tyo karapatan para patayin ung bata

• 4 weeks later...

It depends on a person's beliefs. When does life start? Do their moral values condone it? We can't say that it's a sin to someone who doesn't believe in God either. Just because we live in a Catholic based society doesn't mean that everyone has the same values. What if the child is the result of rape? Should we blame the mother for wanting to abort it when she herself could potentially hate the baby? People who haven't been placed in such situations have no right to answer because they themselves have no moral obligation placed upon them. We keep on looking down upon women who have done such an act but we never try to think about what was behind the entire situation nor do we try to understand how that woman feels. We love to damn these women to hell when we ourselves don't even know how much pain that woman is going through for committing such an act. Do people get an impression that these women enjoy what they did? Most people here in the Philippines are bigoted and just love to curse and damn these women. I feel such pity for this self-righteous society we live in...

• Like (+1) 1

I feel I have to play devil's advocate a little, what with all the "it depends on what you believe" nonsense being spouted here.

First off, a sin is a sin, regardless of your own personal beliefs or awareness/ignorance of the fact. I will not debate what constitutes a sin, or put a label on what's right and what's wrong: that's God's prerogative not mine. But what I will say is that your own personal sense of morality is meaningless when defining what is, or what is not, a sin. In theoligical terms a sin is an act that violates God's will. If abortion goes against God's will, then it's a sin, whether you believe it is or not.

Again, let me stress: I'm not saying that abortion is a sin. I'm merely fighting the notion that you can magically define what constitutes a sin based upon your own personal belief system. That's just ridiculous... unless of course you are God :rolleyes:

And BTW, sinning is normal. Even the pope does it. Sins can always be forgiven. That's one of the most important things the Church teaches ;)

• Like (+1) 2

for me, abortion is not a sin kung:

- hindi mahal nung parents ung bata. kawawa naman ung bata kung i-abandona lang nung nanay at tatay. nakakainis mapanood ng balita na, "bata iniwan sa basurahan, kinuha ng dswd."

- there is a defect sa bata (usually seen on pre-natal tests) that would render the kid pag labas to be non-functional in today's society. i know its unfair, kaso sa panahon ngayon, dog-eat dog talaga ang mundong ginagalawan natin.

- a risk for the mother to die when giving child birth or having the child.

• 4 weeks later...

I feel I have to play devil's advocate a little, what with all the "it depends on what you believe" nonsense being spouted here.

First off, a sin is a sin, regardless of your own personal beliefs or awareness/ignorance of the fact. I will not debate what constitutes a sin, or put a label on what's right and what's wrong: that's God's prerogative not mine. But what I will say is that your own personal sense of morality is meaningless when defining what is, or what is not, a sin. In theoligical terms a sin is an act that violates God's will. If abortion goes against God's will, then it's a sin, whether you believe it is or not.

Again, let me stress: I'm not saying that abortion is a sin. I'm merely fighting the notion that you can magically define what constitutes a sin based upon your own personal belief system. That's just ridiculous... unless of course you are God :rolleyes:

And BTW, sinning is normal. Even the pope does it. Sins can always be forgiven. That's one of the most important things the Church teaches ;)

In college we had a subject called Situational Ethics. It's based on the Christian Etical Theory that love is the absolute law. Situational Ethics was founded by the then Episcopal priest Joseph Fletcher

According to Wikipedia "Fletcher believed that in forming an ethical system based on love, he was best expressing the notion of "love thy neighbor," which Jesus Christ taught in the Gospels of the New Testament of the Bible. Through situational ethics, Fletcher attempted to find a "middle road" between legalistic and antinomian ethics. Fletcher developed situational ethics in his books: The Classic Treatment and Situation Ethics"

"Fletcher believed that there are no absolute laws other than the law of Agapē love and all the other laws were laid down in order to achieve the greatest amount of this love. This means that all the other laws are only guidelines to how to achieve this love, and thus they may be broken if the other course of action would result in more love."

I'm a firm believer in women's rights!

A far greater sin is if you let a child live without providing his/her most basic of rights.

Exactly my point of view!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest demon nick fury

Abortion is a sin because it is the highest degree of murder according to Catholic moral teachings (including John Paul II and Mother Theresa). But for the murderers of babies who don't care about being tortured and grilled forever in Hell in the future it doesn't mean anything. Let's just wait for God's final judgment.