113 replies to this topic

#21 linux_distro

linux_distro

Experienced

• (03) Newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 04:12 AM

mga bossing, nag try ako mag download ng DSL (damn small linux) at around 50MB para sana iboot sa CD, pero di gumana... any instructions po? baka may kulang sa naDL ko eh

san-kyu

I just don't know if you were able to successfully burn the iso you downloaded. If you're using nero essentials, choose the function "burn image to disk"; or else try Imgburn (freeware), download from here http://fileforum.bet...rn/1128426215/1

Here's how DSL supposed to look like
http://shots.osdir.c...o...770&slide=1

Just to be sure, try following these steps (lifted from http://linux.sys-con...ead/244333.htm)

"Getting Started: Obtain, Burn, Boot
Get the Latest DSL Image
xxx Simply follow these instructions:
1) Visit the URL www.damnsmalllinux.org/download.html
2) Click on one of the mirror sites under "where to download"
3) Look for a directory called "current" and click on that to see its contents
4) Look past most of what you see and download the file "dsl-<version>.iso"

xxx Save your download in a place where you can find it as you move to the next step.

Burn the ISO onto CD
The file you just downloaded has an "iso" extension after the ISO standard format used on CD-ROMs. xxx You'll need a writable CD-R disk and a CD burner for the next step. Use your favorite CD-burning software to create a disk from this image.xxx

When you burn your CD remember that you're dealing with a bootable ISO image. Rather than just burning a copy of this file onto a CD (which won't boot properly in the next step), you'll want to instruct your CD burner to recognize the ISO and burn a disk image.

Boot from CD (or Use a Helper Floppy)
xxx This little operating system will detect much of the hardware attached to your computer including your network, but it will completely ignore your hard drive and data until you tell DSL to do differently. xxx If your PC recognizes the CD as bootable and begins a boot sequence, skip to the next section.

Most PCs can boot from a CD (the CD booting standard has been out for over 10 years), but they may not be configured to do so. To find out you'll have to get into the BIOS settings at boot time and check. As your machine starts up, look for a message that says something like "Press F-10 for BIOS Settings" and use whatever key you are instructed to press.
Next, while in the text-based BIOS menu system, look for a section on boot devices and boot order. Make sure that the CD-ROM is somewhere in the order of boot devices ahead of the hard drive (usually it goes in the order of floppy, CD, then hard drive). Find a way to put the CD-ROM in the boot sequence, save your changes then try a reboot. xxx
(If) It can't boot from a CD so (use) a helper floppy that can recognize and boot the CD. If you need such a thing, you can create one by following these steps:
1) Download the boot floppy boot image file for DSL
Download: bootfloppy.img
From Site: ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/damnsmall/current
Save As: boot.img
2) Create a boot floppy using a blank 1.44MB floppy disk
If running Windows
Download: rawrite.exe (or other suitable variant for your OS)
From Site: www.fdos.org/ripcord/rawrite/
Run Command: rawrite -f boot.img -d A
If already running a version of Linux:
Run Command: dd if=boot.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k]

Once your computer is booting from the CD (or a combination of floppy/CD) you're ready to begin exploring the world of DSL, customizing it to your liking, and creating a configuration that you can easily return to on your next boot."

Good luck.

#22 Guest_Leviticus_*

Guest_Leviticus_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2007 - 02:31 PM

not directly linux related question but sa linux environment ko irun. is there a way to install activex in firefox?

#23 tom_babauta

tom_babauta

Cutie

• (03) Newbie
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 12:56 AM

how can i run ubuntu on top of windows xp?

#24 Google

Google

The Russian Mafia

• (10) Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,081 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Gym, Computers, Extreme Sports, Outdoor Sports, Beach, Basketball, Badminton

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:01 AM

not directly linux related question but sa linux environment ko irun. is there a way to install activex in firefox?

may mga add-ons ang firefox for that.
just visit the mozilla website.

#25 markus_cruzade

markus_cruzade

Lover

• (07) Avid Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Interests:Computers, chatting, food trips, coffees, traveling...

Posted 24 July 2007 - 01:07 AM

how can i run ubuntu on top of windows xp?

You could install Microsoft Virtual PC, its downloadable via www.majorgeek.com. Emulate a Virtual Machine inside Windows XP the install Linux from there on...Just be reminded you're running 2 operating systems together so make sure you have a VERY BIG RAM and Hard Drive Space :thumbsupsmiley:

#26 webmaster_ph

webmaster_ph

The Love Machine

• (07) Avid Member
  • 1,850 posts
  • Interests:Movies, Technology, Gadgets, Occult, Entertainment, Food & Cuisine, Astronomy, Gaming, TV, Science Fiction, Travel, Music, Interior Design

Posted 11 September 2007 - 06:55 PM

what's the best linux distribution in terms of ease of use and performance?

#27 linux_distro

linux_distro

Experienced

• (03) Newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 03:26 PM

what's the best linux distribution in terms of ease of use and performance?

Coming from Windows, I suggest Xandros, Linspire (or its free Freespire), and PCLinux. Try also our own Bayanihan; the support is great. You can download them from http://distrowatch.com/

Good luck.

#28 webmaster_ph

webmaster_ph

The Love Machine

• (07) Avid Member
  • 1,850 posts
  • Interests:Movies, Technology, Gadgets, Occult, Entertainment, Food & Cuisine, Astronomy, Gaming, TV, Science Fiction, Travel, Music, Interior Design

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:05 AM

i have an offsite server running on ubuntu.

can anybody recommend an app that can access it remotely (vpn)?

tia! :)

#29 webmaster_ph

webmaster_ph

The Love Machine

• (07) Avid Member
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 11:32 AM

regarding the same off-site server...

is it possible to do a fresh remote install of ubuntu?

#30 mistere57

mistere57

Looker

• (03) Newbie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 06:51 PM

dudes question for linux users...

my friend has been telling me how good it is... can i replace mywin xp sp2 os with it and still have the same ease of use? have no real good background about it, how bout networking and internet? may nagsabi pa sakin di masyadong demanding sa resources ang linux...

is it really that good? kasi kung ok cya talaga then it should be worth considering...i also do some programming at times, will i encounter any problems like using vb6 and such?

tnx in advance... :)

#31 Carlito4977

Carlito4977

Experienced

• (03) Newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 09:26 PM

my friend has been telling me how good it is... can i replace mywin xp sp2 os with it and still have the same ease of use? have no real good background about it, how bout networking and internet? may nagsabi pa sakin di masyadong demanding sa resources ang linux...

is it really that good? kasi kung ok cya talaga then it should be worth considering...i also do some programming at times, will i encounter any problems like using vb6 and such?

I suggest you do some more reading before you switch to linux ... it's very different from what you're used to ...

If you know how to utilize Linux' features, you'll find it very reliable and efficient.

#32 Carlito4977

Carlito4977

Experienced

• (03) Newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 09:29 PM

I suggest you do some more reading before you switch to linux ... it's very different from what you're used to ...

If you know how to utilize Linux' features, you'll find it very reliable and efficient.

#33 pphyles_core

pphyles_core

mi ultimo adios'

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 05:39 PM

I'm planning to install Linux on a secondary hard drive... is REDHAT better than SLACKWARE ?

Anyway, why you're not replying to my text message regarding the 160GB SATA HDD that I'd like to buy ? :huh:

I need it ASAP coz I have some projects to do... Just tell me if there's no longer any available stocks so I can get from another source... Tnx...
:hypocritesmiley:

#34 webmaster_ph

webmaster_ph

The Love Machine

• (07) Avid Member
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 10:32 AM

which one is better "debian" or "ubuntu"?

am planning to resurrect my vintage desktop.

tia!

#35 Guest_Leviticus_*

Guest_Leviticus_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2007 - 10:18 PM

which one is better "debian" or "ubuntu"?

am planning to resurrect my vintage desktop.

tia!

vintage desktop? mga range ng p3? go for debian. ubuntu makain kasi ng memory during the initial installation, lalo na kung version 6 na ang install mo. you need a ver. 5 for p3 units (with 128 RAM).

go for a redhat system for old computers; mga version 9 or fedora linux version 3 and 4.

how about suse 9.3? have you tried? maganda ang development ng suse beginning with version 10.2. actually, if you've handled Vista may pagkahawig ang 10.2 suse.

dami ko na nasabi. hehehe..

eto ang pinakareminisent.. try mo maghanap and install LINDOWS (a now defunct Linspire version). hahaha.. dami mga alalala ko dyan. also try mo bayanihan 3.1 (this is actaully Fedora core 3).

Edited by Leviticus, 05 October 2007 - 10:27 PM.

#36 riv123

riv123

Always take into account "Murphy's Law"

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:58 PM

suggest you try linux on a Live-CD to get the feel.

CHHERS!!!

#37 SonBorj

SonBorj

because i said so.......

• UNREGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 08:41 AM

Freespire is free via bittorrent.

http://wiki.freespir...nload_Freespire

For interesting details please read
http://www.desktopli...3239087426.html

I tried freespire when it first appeared in 05.

Thanks for the link :thumbsupsmiley:

Can we ask questions on Open Office also?

Edited by SonBorj, 10 November 2007 - 08:42 AM.

#38 tbs_og_luciano

tbs_og_luciano

Looker

• (03) Newbie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 07:03 PM

i dont know kung tama ung post ko d2 sa topic n 2. i want to change my os kc. san b me pwede mgdownload ng linux. any can post some links?

#39 Wacky Dreamer

Wacky Dreamer

Lover

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 12:26 AM

i dont know kung tama ung post ko d2 sa topic n 2. i want to change my os kc. san b me pwede mgdownload ng linux. any can post some links?

www.distrowatch.com

i suggest you rather setup on another partition nlang muna para flexible - kung di magawa sa isa, try sa kabila. Truth is magandang matutunan ang interoperability nila, at sayang yung Product Key.

#40 Wacky Dreamer

Wacky Dreamer

Lover

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 02:29 AM

regarding the same off-site server...

is it possible to do a fresh remote install of ubuntu?

It's possible. How?
I-mount ang installer from remote server hehe
Maraming issue ang pwede mangyayari, and am letting the gurus to Bring Them On!

My complex conceptions of the question:
1. The target unit has a raw hardisk:

Do pxelinux
1st The server is enabled to broadcast dhcp reaching clients
2nd Get server a tftpboot ready with your design
I haven't tried booting from lan/Legacy lan (am still curious about), so suggesting...
3rd Etherboot - not boot from lan but rather get boot data from lan. So kelangan parin cd, diskette o kaya program prom sa NIC
Tftpboot as designed contains the installation program itself. Then just run setup; kaya kaya?
4th Or rather, mount the installation source path and then run setup.
May lamang tatakbo slackware installation, it runs on most machine konti hardware issues na aasikasuhin. At dba meron itong manual na manual na interface pati packages pwede madetalye - which is a must do practice and best for users to familiarize gnu-linux hehe

2. Remote, like www:
1st thing is I don't know hehe try same concept above

May isa pang paraan pero related lang ng konti:
1st Generate an image of a fresh installation of Ubuntu saved on the server
2nd On the target unit, import restoration of image content to target unit's harddrive with specs equivalent to the image source's unit

Hope to be of help :)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users