Team Pilipinas Basketball

rakizta

2 ISSUES:

First, I definitely agree regarding exposures to international tournaments ... this is one of the training methods for them to familiarize with the FIBA rules as well as international brand of play.

Second, should we rethink of sending PBA players again if we fail in the 2011 FIBA? ... I just want to point out that the PBA/Pro players have been representing the country in the ABC/FIBA meet since 1990 and have experimented on various formula but so far none has work out quite well too. As we've all know the performance has deteriorated since that 2nd place finish.

I just think it is quite unfair that the SBP & Gilas Team (the system and the players) would be given an "ultimatum for them to prove its worth in a single attemp. At this point I think the most we could aspire for is a final 4 and no guarantees to earn a slot in the 2012 Olympics. In fact while I bat for the Gilas team, I am conceding that chances of this team in the next FIBA maybe slim to none. But ofcourse as Filipino, I wish I could be proven wrong.

What am saying is that let's give the SBP being the local basketball governing body a free hand on how to shape up RP basketball in the future. And looking at where we at now, don't expect an immediate major turnaround. It definitely would be a long way back.

• Like (+1) 6
hayy, PERA PERA na talaga.

panu kaya kung super duper laki budget ng pinas para sa olympics? as in more than what USA has (which is 99.9% impossible).

--SAGOT: baka pati si MANNY VILLAR mag try-outs sa SMART GILAS hahaha!

hayy, kelan kaya magiging PATRIOTIC tayong mga PINOY?

SANA BUKAS!

Actually it's not only the money given to the players but the money needed to expose them to international tournaments.

Almost everyone here agrees that exposure to as much International Tournaments is needed for the team to get exposure. Others have suggested European leagues since their level of play is very high. But in order for us to play there we need the money to send the team. Hotel, food, plane fare, etc for the whole team plus a handful of officials.

So money is indeed needed.

On a side note:

One thing I also noticed is that our pro players tend to play with the crowd. Meaning they tend to get their energy from the crowd. In international tournaments, more often than not the crowd is very few (except for the championship or playoff rounds). So our pro players need to be able to play mentally tough with or without the crowd.

That is the advantage of these amateur players, they still have not developed that tendency to "show boat" or play for the crowd. That is why most of the teams that do well in international tournaments are teams that execute and pass well.

i think what toroman have in mind like getting a giles who base on what others are saying aint performing much in the nba summer league,

also a certain slaughter is being ask to join,

sa akin lang, if mahina man bigs natin but have the height then work on their roles. being a deadly rebounder and a smart passer while being the least scorer is better than someone who has everything but cant maximize his efforts.

probably develop barroca and other guards to be the real scorers, i doubt chris tiu would be a star PG but his there for handling reasons. i dont think he turn the ball over a lot of times. i havent seen him play much aside from the uaap days but surely he doesnt turn the ball over.

A lot has been said about the playing style of the PBA and how it should change its format, etcetera, etcetera….

Perhaps for a different thread, this may be an unpopular response but the only changes that I think the PBA should adopt are:

• Expand the league to accommodate more teams; loosen requirements for a local company to be able to field a team to the PBA; foreign brands included
  • Scrap the automatic placement the semifinals; most especially the wildcard. Adopt the playoffs-style format. Double round robin sa All-Filipino and a shorter single round robin kapag reinforced
  • Alam ko a season or two back ginamit na ito pero they reverted back, yung no harm no foul style of referee calling
  • Lastly, kapag reinforced conference, drop na ung rule regarding height limit.

Otherwise, using all-FIBA rules sa PBA? Forget it!

I honestly think mababawasan ang entertainment value ng PBA and would eventually lead to the decline nito. And this is something that you certainly would not want.

Let’s face it, if you are not fans of the PBA, you wouldn’t be this passionate about basketball

I just think it is quite unfair that the SBP & Gilas Team (the system and the players) would be given an "ultimatum for them to prove its worth in a single attemp. At this point I think the most we could aspire for is a final 4 and no guarantees to earn a slot in the 2012 Olympics. In fact while I bat for the Gilas team, I am conceding that chances of this team in the next FIBA maybe slim to none. But ofcourse as Filipino, I wish I could be proven wrong.

Agree. Doesn't make sense to give this program a short leash only to revert back to a formula which has proven to be ineffective over the past 20 years almost.

i think the pressure and challenge of this group would be to break what pro players have ever accomplish in the international competition.

as you said, ever since that silver medal we always end up fourth or worst, so can you blame it.

but same as you, as toroman would say its going to be ahrd at the start. especially for us who now we employ a foreigner for the first time except for ron jacobs. aside from that a foreign guy who have credentials,

to me its a system , its a process, kasama birth pains dyan. if they see it as another quick patch well ayan marami nanaman paki elamero in the end hindi parin malulutas ung problema and achieve the purpose.

we have alotof problem ahead of us.... the smart gilas team is a band aid solution for the coming fiba asia... however if you look at the present roster of players in the collegiate and even the high school league wala mga malalaki talaga.... we really lack the height to compete at the asian level....our guards maybe able to match up with the other countries but pagdating sa 3 4 5 position talo n tayo s laki.... it will take a couple of generation for us to realize yong front line natin will be compose of regular guys standing at 6'9'' 6'10" and by the time na maachieve natin yon yong mga kalaban natin is also a generation ahead of us in terms of talent and size..... tanong k lang dyan after smart gilas team is disbanded an ang susunod.... i guess its best to use our resources in training the youth team wh has the genes for becoming tall rather than spend millions o naturalized giles.... give roer nutrition s mga bata..... altamiran who is now spearheadig the youth team is having a difficult time recruiting good tall players to compete at the asian level...

SMART GILAS ... is this the answer? This is the question posed on this forum.

As what we've observed so far. some like me believe this is the way to go for RP basketball while some claims otherwise.

For me the best way to answer that is I guess WE ALL WOULD NEVER KNOW ... until the day comes. However, I guess this is a good start since there is one BODY taking full responsibility (the SBP) and has come up with a masterplan on how they intend to have it done. Whether they succeed or not is a different story. Lets not dwell too much on the players for the meantime... players do come and go. what is important would be the program to be in place and the execution to ensure continuity.

If you would look at other countries, it is not the major professional league that calls the shot for that country's basketball program but the country's NSA for basketball. A case for example would be USA Basketball where the NBA is merely represented in that organization and throws its full support + the NBA players, whoever chosen gives its commitment.

The PBA has been in the forefront of this undertaking since 1990 but restricted itself to ABC/FIBA championships only. In fact the PBA has openly said that they intend to let the SBP take the lead and will just throw its full support. By such, then I think it is clear that even the PBA acknowledge that they can;t take full responsibility for the future of Phil Basketball because they have a different mission/objective as an institution. If they are true to its word, then probably the best thing they could do is to assist the SBP is whatever ways they can.

• Like (+1) 3

i agree,

pro ball and nationalism just cant meet, bottom line is with the different set of rules it cant be done. . . . you got to seperate it or else there wont be growth.

parang sanay na sila sa ganyan binago mo tapos nung nakukuha na nila binalik mo ulit sa dati , anong na achieve natin ? wala . . .

monkey see monkey do!

just like the US basketball team, if you look at talent and skills of how they play fiba rules. the only thing that covers the mistakes is due to their athleticism.

Edited by launchpad

aside from loads of international exposure, my ingredients for the national team should be: japeth aguilar and 2 more players of his size, 3 quick, big fil-foreigners, a 7-ftr naturalized quality foreigner, 4 talents that regularly come out of our colleges that knows how to share the ball, a senior player for stability, leadership and emotional absorber.

ito lang masasabi ko...professional basketball killed our chances to be good in the international game of basketball.

masyado nating in-idolize ang NBA mostly one-on-one skills with their athletes who are more athletic than we are. di uubra ang style na yun sa atin kasi di naman tayo malaki o ganung ka-athletic tulad ng african-americans. pati ang college game natin revolves on more individualistic play than team play...DLSU at Letran lang ata nakita ko na kahit papaano may motion offense...di na na-focus sa fundamentals ang mga bata ngayon, wala na ako nakita na sure shot o deadly shooter sa mid-range o long-range kahit nga free-throw and olats ng mga basketbolista (sino ba ang nakatalo sa percentage ni cabahug sa free-throw?). kaya ang hirap manuod ng PBA kasi walang nakaka-shoot ng sure puro saksak na lang at post-up. pero nung ginusto ng PBA na pabilisin ang laro (ala-Phoenix Suns) nakita ko na ang flaw ng mga Pinoy...shooting. mas matindi daw ang depensa, pure BS, di lang maka-shoot ng mga player na yan. bakit ang south korea matindi na kalaban kasi malaki sila pero may shooting from long range? marunong na rin pumoste kasi alam nila may malalaki na sila. tayo di natin talaga mapipilit ang professional play sa kanila...sina Asi kawawa sa loob tapos ang 2,3,4 pinipilit tumira sa labas e di naman sila ganun kagaling sa shooting (siguro si James Yap at Willie Miller exception dun). pero at least nakita ko kay Yeng Guiao na speed o bilis lang talaga panlaban natin. pero with a faster game we would really need to turn the ball over a bit fewer and shoot a lot better from the mid and long range.

Smart Gilas is a small step to reach that goal...not very optimistic but at least its thought out and is a long term plan. PBA is saying that it is doing its patriotic duty by lending players to the National Team but it really is a contradiction. Their mother teams are probably at wits end when their star player is playing for the national team since if that player is injured...good bye investment...so a National Pool who play together constantly at the international level is the right way to go...at the very least...

As for Japeth, medyo mali lang ata advise sa kanya sana di na sya ngpadraft...:P

BK TO PUSH FOR LIFETIME BAN IF JAPETH TURNS BACK ON WHOPPERS

Burger King top official Lito Alvarez said he would move for Japeth Aguilar to be meted by the PBA a lifetime ban should he push through with his plan to turn his back on the BK Whoppers and instead join the Smart Gilas developmental team.

"He's making a mockery of a 35-year-old organization. I will not take it sitting down and I don't think the PBA Board will let it pass," said Alvarez, who happens to be the current chair of the league Board.

"He shouldn't have joined the Draft in the first place if he wanted to play for Smart Gilas. Now that he joined the Draft, he's bound to comply with the rules," Alvarez added. "I have offered Japeth a three-year maximum contract for a PBA rookie. The ball is now in their hands."

Veteran newsman Ronnie Nathanielsz, representing Aguilar, informed Alvarez of their plan in a meeting Wednesday. Alvarez, in turn, advised Nathanielsz to first consult with the parents of the player and with league commissioner Sonny Barrios.

"If they push through with their plan, I will ask the commissioner for arbitration. And I don't see any reason we will lose the case. We will not lose our rights on Japeth," said Alvarez.

"They're complicating the matter. I'm easy to deal with but I'm afraid what the Board will do once the matter reaches them. They would teach this player a lesson. It would impose the severest of sanctions on Japeth," Alvarez added.

The BK top honcho thinks the player, the 2009 PBA Draft top selection, is ill-advised.

"They'll get to enjoy the best of both worlds in my offer since I'm giving him the maximum contract for three years and I'm allowing him to play for Smart Gilas on the side. Knowing how generous the Smart people are, Japeth would also get something there," said Alvarez.

The Aguilar camp has thought of backing out of its commitment with BK after the player's return from the Tianjin FIBA-Asia joust.

Apparently, the Aguilars felt bad Japeth was hardly used by coach Yeng Guiao in the competition.

"If that's the case, dapat naintidihan nila how big that competition was. Japeth is still very young. Look at Arwind (Santos). Even the guy was sparingly used by coach Yeng," said Alvarez.

"Now, if they really want to join Smart Gilas, they shouldn't have joined the Draft. We could have gotten instead Rico Maierhofer," said Alvarez. "We will not let our No. 1 pick go to waste."

Aguilar has yet to show up in BK's practices. (NC)

THE TWO SIDES OF THE RAGING JAPETH CONTROVERSY

Sun, 08/30/2009 - 13:03

By Patricia Bermudez-Hizon

2009 No. 1 overall Draft pick Japeth Aguilar has decided to hold off his professional career and instead play for the Smart-Gilas national team under the wings of Serbian head coach Rajko Toroman. It was a hard decision he made with his father, former PBA player Peter Aguilar, but the young prospect feels he has a destiny to fulfill, donning the national colors.

When Japeth made his initial decision to play for the PBA very clear, Burger King was adamant about signing up Aguilar who coach Yeng Guiao saw as the most promising up and coming big man. It was not at all a surprise that he was picked as the top rookie prospect in the 2009 Draft ceremonies.

Shortly after, he joined the Powerade Team Pilipinas in their quest for glory in the FIBA-Asia Championships in Tianjin. Despite the setbacks, the Philippines had its best finish at eight of 20 teams in years.

There, Japeth got to play six games, averaging 4.3 points, 3.5 rebounds and 13.5 minutes. There were speculation that he was hurt after the game against Sri Lanka and that he fell ill which caused him to be sidelined for a number of games, but he claims to have been ready to play particularly in the last two contests, against Jordan and Qatar. It was Guiao’s decision and prerogative, but it was one that did not sit well with Peter Aguilar.

Broadcaster Ronnie Nathanielsz just very recently became Japeth’s new agent and went through the process of getting accredited by the league. He said that “Japeth’s primary desire is to play for the national team”.

Through a phone interview Japeth stands by his decision saying “I just want to play for the Philippines and I believe we can make it to the Olympics”. He went on and discussed how he feels the service he has given wasn’t enough and that he can still offer so much more. He also expressed that he’s aware that this gamble could lead to repercussions, but he’s willing to face all of that. He says he prayed hard for this.

From the beginning, Burger King and incoming PBA Board chairman Lito Alvarez was amenable to lending Aguilar to the Smart Gilas squad whenever they would have international tournaments “but it would be hard and confusing for Japeth”, shared Nathanielsz. Japeth has strong desires to learn under the wings of Toroman, getting inspired by the erstwhile-unseeded Iranian basketball team that Toroman whipped into FIBA Asia Champions and first-time Olympians in 2007 and 2008, respectively.

Another voice of reason that Japeth apparently listens to is fellow former Atenean Chris Tiu who had also helped convince him in joining the cause of playing for flag and country through Smart-Gilas.

Last Wednesday, Japeth along with his sister Mica and brother-in-law had a meeting with Mr. Alvarez who offered the maximum salary three-year salary for a PBA rookie, But Japeth instead handed a letter about his change of heart. It was Nathanielsz who did most of the talking for the young player.

“I was stunned”, shared Mr. Alvarez, “I told Ronnie to keep an open mind and think of the repercussions”. “I also advised them to talk to the father”. But by Thursday, Japeth and his father made the decision final.

Friday, along with Mr. Nathanielsz, Japeth presented himself to PBA Commisioner Sonny Barrios who also gave him a stern warning though on an unofficial basis.

“In deference to Smart Gilas, we have not spoken to them. We wanted to speak to the PBA and Mr. Alvarez first” shared Nathanielsz. He said that they don’t know what the contract will be but SBP gave an offer back in Las Vegas before Japeth came to Manila which is equivalent to the three-year maximum rookie salary in the PBA.

No doubt the Lina Franchise is quite disturbed about this turn of events. If they had known before the Draft that Japeth was not set on going pro just yet, they would have picked someone else and they probably wouldn’t have made certain trades and dampen their hopes of winning their first ever PBA championship.

“We will have to take actions. We wouldn’t have traded Arwind (Santos)”, said Mr. Alvarez. “We also missed several opportunities and many tempting offers from other teams for the No. 1 pick. (Coach) Yeng said he was the missing link and I supported his decision”.

“Not to say anything bad because I’m still hoping he’ll play for the team. But from the start, I made it clear I wasn’t too excited for Japeth because I didn’t get to follow his career unlike Rico Maeirhofer. That’s why I preferred Rico. Nakaka disappoint (It’s very disappointing)” reiterated Mr. Alvarez.

“If the concern of his is not getting enough playing time in Tianjin, it’ll be different here (at Burger King). Japeth was competing with (Asi) Taulava, (Sonny) Thoss and (Mick) Pennisi (for playing time). Plus he got sick”. “He’s still a work in progress”.

Mr. Alvarez reaffirmed that the PBA and Burger King are very supportive of the SBP. “I was an active member of the BAP but I really believed in Mr. Manny Pangilinan so I resigned from the BAP to support SBP”.

“Let’s not put any irritants on this one. He made a decision to apply, he should honor his commitment. This is a 35-year institution and you have to respect and not make a mockery of the rules”.

But Japeth’s camp insists they are not doing anything wrong.

“The PBA constitution and by-laws have no provisions for the right to ban a player for not signing with the team who drafted him,” argued Mr. Nathanielsz. “He can sit out the first year, go back to the team that drafted him the second year, if that doesn’t work out, on the third year he becomes a free agent. Teams have drafted players and not sign them up. It should work both ways. A player should not be sanctioned for not signing with the team that drafted him,” explained Nathanielsz in talking about freedom of choice and how Japeth has chosen to play for his country.

He also cited the case of former San Antonio Spurs David Robinson, who was the top NBA draft pick in 1995. He also chose to hold off on playing professionally for two years after being drafted to finish his US Navy commitments. Robinson decided in the end to join the Spurs for the 1989–90 seasons, and led them to one of the greatest single season turnaround in NBA history at the time. “Just like Robinson, Japeth too wants to serve his country first.”

Japeth’s decision certainly raises a lot of issues that many would debate about, and with still much to be said and discussed. Mr. Alvarez asks “What is the real story behind this because not getting playing time in Tianjin is petty. We can lend him to Gilas when they need him. It could be a lot more than this. I just don’t want this to be a war”.

Japeth Aguilar will leave for the US on Monday to reunite with his family and his fiancée for a few weeks.

There’s the issue of respecting one’s personal decisions, and there’s the issue of violating the agreement with a team. It’s a difficult situation, all sides still having unfinished business.

The good thing is the 2009-2010 PBA season doesn’t open shop until Oct. 11 and there’s lots of time to talk and work things over.

But that is if the people in Aguilar’s camp can be persuaded into changing their minds

^^ Here is my take on this:

The dream of young Japeth is NOT to play for the PBA. It has never been his ambition. He has set his sights a little higher than most Filipino hoopster. He wants to play for the NBA. And he is young enough to, maybe, take another stab at it. And how does one get to be drafted by an NBA team? Aside from being drafted straight from an American college? That is being SCOUTED playing well for your national team. Yao Ming, Haddadi, etc., have all gone this route. Japeth, figures, this is his one chance too. And playing for flag and country, while chasing your own dream, ain't so bad as far side-effects go.

Edited by skitz
Guest megalodon
^^ Here is my take on this:

The dream of young Japeth is NOT to play for the PBA. It has never been his ambition. He has set his sights a little higher than most Filipino hoopster. He wants to play for the NBA. And he is young enough to, maybe, take another stab at it. And how does one get to be drafted by an NBA team? Aside from being drafted straight from an American college? That is being SCOUTED playing well for your national team. Yao Ming, Haddadi, etc., have all gone this route. Japeth, figures, this is his one chance too. And playing for flag and country, while chasing your own dream, ain't so bad as far side-effects go.

Nice angle. I never thought of this but you have a point. But then again for that to happen, Smart-Gilas has to qualify for the Olympics or WCs in order for Aguilar to be noticed.

Edited by megalodon

theprblem with filipino athletes like japeth is that he thinks he is gods gift to phil basketball.... what have jaeth accomplish aside from being the first phil born filipino to play in a ncaa div 1 league??? i cant recall any...... he played two unforgetable years with ateneo and c couple more with kentucky.... he think he is good? there is a sinister planfor talk and text to bag him by letting him sit down for two years will buy more time for talk and txt to draft him via back dor wheeling and dealing... its high time for burger king to ask the board to ban him so that it will serve as a lesson for future athletes to learn to tow the line ... di bale sana kung mala lebron james yan or even a yi jinliang.... yi is 21 yrs old and the guy has the moves already.... japeth dosent have any moves except for slamming the ball above the ring.. i saw how he attack the basket and in the process was easily strip of the leather... while yi leans on his talent to pvot against his defender and slam the ball via the baseline..... BAN HIM......

Im just wondering, (as per skitz) hindi kaya plano all along ng Aguilars, Japeth and Peter, for Japeth to play the national team and go the route that Haddadi, Yao and Ginobilli took?

That is, being scouted whilst donning the national colors

And during try outs, ang naka-scout sa kanya was not the NBA but rather Lito Alvarez and Yeng Guiao at sila mismo ang ang nag-udyok for Japeth to turn pro...na wala naman talaga sa plano ng bata?

Im just wondering...

I've mentioned before in my previous posts

If a player wants to turn pro outside of the PBA, the ticket is with the Smart Gilas team

You get your exposure with ample playing time and also on the world stage

At kung sweswertihin, the biggest stage of them all in 2012

Im just wondering, (as per skitz) hindi kaya plano all along ng Aguilars, Japeth and Peter, for Japeth to play the national team and go the route that Haddadi, Yao and Ginobilli took?

That is, being scouted whilst donning the national colors

And during try outs, ang naka-scout sa kanya was not the NBA but rather Lito Alvarez and Yeng Guiao at sila mismo ang ang nag-udyok for Japeth to turn pro...na wala naman talaga sa plano ng bata?

Im just wondering...

I've mentioned before in my previous posts

If a player wants to turn pro outside of the PBA, the ticket is with the Smart Gilas team

You get your exposure with ample playing time and also on the world stage

At kung sweswertihin, the biggest stage of them all in 2012

hopefully, he becomes the first pinoy to be included in the line-up of an nba team. using the national team as a stepping stone is not bad after all. the pba, though, with all its commercial value always looks up to players who actually become endorsers of their products to the 90 million market in p.i.