Concerts

bluechips

I remember this too!  They were awesome!  Galing pa kasi while we were queuing up to enter the folk arts theatre the band was rehearsing so you could hear Eddie Vedder singing...parang teaser!  tapos ok pa yung front act...mud honey ba yon?

Sobrang daming tao magkakapalitan kayo ng muka sa sobrang sikip!  hahaha pero astig!  had a blast!

yeah it was Mudhoney...kasikatan din nila nun..I think they've disbanded na

oh that's awesome - what I'd give to see a legend like him...saka si Lionel Hampton - I guess you saw him too...

he didn't play. they just paid a tribute to him. he was like 60 or something. i didn't even realize who he was kasi shempre alam ko lang itsura niya sa poster...not a big jazz fan but i was so moved. it was like a 30 minute jam session! astig!

the whole festival was for 3 days and there were a lot of musicians! they would be walking around the kibbie dome lang and my friends would be pointing them out like it was nothing. it was a great experience!

Lionel Hampton died in 2002. I think his last performance was at the Lionel Hampton Jazz festival pa! The UofIdaho school of music is named after him e.

But yeah, I wish we could get to see the greats in music. My dream would be to see Janis Joplin, the Doors and the Beatles, perform live!

he didn't play. they just paid a tribute to him.  he was like 60 or something.  i didn't even realize who he was kasi shempre alam ko lang itsura niya sa poster...not a big jazz fan but i was so moved.  it was like a 30 minute jam session!  astig!

the whole festival was for 3 days and there were a lot of musicians!  they would be walking around the kibbie dome lang and my friends would be pointing them out like it was nothing.  it was a great experience!

wow! do you remember who the musicians were? Pero di bale na hehehe...

I wonder who among here have gone to these jazz fests - like the Newport Jazz Festival, the Montreux Summit - you know like the Idaho jazzfest that ms.batibut attended...wala na yatang ganun ngayon...

all I can hear from them are the live records from these jazzfests...

Lionel Hampton died in 2002. I think his last performance was at the Lionel Hampton Jazz festival pa!  The UofIdaho school of music is named after him e.

But yeah, I wish we could get to see the greats in music.   My dream would be to see Janis Joplin, the Doors and the Beatles, perform live!

I also dream of seeing Jerry Garcia and The Grateful Dead live doing one of their jamfests hehehe

Edited by bods1000

Speaking of festivals, there was a Philippine Jazz Festival several years ago at Coconut Palace, I don't know if any of you went there. It wasn't a big event in terms of attendance, there were only a few hundred people (the organizers weren't ambitious, they knew the market was small), but all the major local jazz talents performed and they were amazing. Not the Richard Merck/John Lesaca brand of jazz, but the real stuff. We have real jazz talent here in the country, but unfortunately some of them turn to pop just to earn a few bucks (e.g. Eddie K, Elmir Saison of Toy Symphony).

Speaking of festivals, there was a Philippine Jazz Festival several years ago at Coconut Palace, I don't know if any of you went there. It wasn't a big event in terms of attendance, there were only a few hundred people (the organizers weren't ambitious, they knew the market was small), but all the major local jazz talents performed and  they were amazing. Not the Richard Merck/John Lesaca brand of jazz, but the real stuff. We have real jazz talent here in the country, but unfortunately some of them turn to pop just to earn a few bucks (e.g. Eddie K, Elmir Saison of Toy Symphony).

I missed that...kelan yun, pare?

You can add Joey Puyat, Johnny Alegre, etc as jazz artists who didn't get their due and just disappeared....

Saw the Jars concert! Biased ako...ang galing! Although, they didn't play some of the songs I really wanted to hear! Galing nung light show. We thought, they brought it with them. But according to the organizers pinoy set up daw! Grabe! According to my friends, who happen to be musicians, however, the sound wasn't as crisp as they expected! My other friend naman said, parang prayer rally daw! :boo: :boo: :P E may mga madre ba naman nanood! San ka pa?!?! :P

Talked to Dan Haseltine, Charlie Lowell and Steve Mason on the phone before they left last night! :cool: I almost had a heart attack! :boo: Yon lang! Just wanted to share... :P

Edited by batibut
I missed that...kelan yun, pare?

You can add Joey Puyat, Johnny Alegre, etc as jazz artists who didn't get their due and just disappeared....

Tagal na, early 90's pa yon, college pa ako.

I stumbled upon this web site yesterday that showed pictures taken from the 1st Candid Jazz Festival at Shangrila Plaza last Oct 17, 2004. Tots Tolentino, Elmir Saison, Johnny Alegre, Colby dela Calzada were all there! Ang bangis! P**a bat di ko nabalitaan to?

Edited by gorgonite
Tagal na, early 90's pa yon, college pa ako.

I stumbled upon this web site yesterday that showed pictures taken from the 1st Candid Jazz Festival at Shangrila Plaza last Oct 17, 2004. Tots Tolentino, Elmir Saison, Johnny Alegre, Colby dela Calzada were all there! Ang bangis! P**a bat di ko nabalitaan to?

lech! :angry:

di ko rin nabalitaan ito ah...to think that Johnny Alegre was there - sayang!

great guitarist - I remember seeing him just lurking around the UP College of Music way back late 70's.

• 3 weeks later...

Best ever for me... Pearl Jam sa Folk Arts Theater... Mudhoney was also great as the front-act.

Metallica is an impressive live band at the Ultra field... considering open field they sounded really great... pero masyadong tunog-plaka... not too much improvisions and perhaps its a mistake to play enter sandaman as their first song (which was their radio hit during that period) napagod kaagad ako :wacko:

I was the first Sting concert here (also at the ultra field)... me and my friends were late pero it was cool specially seeing him play his earlier hits/police songs.

Bush not the really enjoyable as they played on during their concert here at the ultra indoors... puro distortion/wah-wah effects lang.

I saw Urbandub and Sugarfree sa Mayrics early last year. They're both play good live sets considering the old mayrics sound system sucks. Btw, hows the new Mayrics? anyone comment please.

Another "recent" one that I went to was the 1st marlboro redline racing two decembers ago at Philtrade... btw my friend dennis placed 25th among 100 racers that included veteran pinoy racers... rivermaya as expected sucks playing live imho... 2nd time for me to see them play live but i really think that they are a good studio band and they do compose good songs. Second and last band was The Dawn... they really play quite well eversince and keeps on getting better as everyone gets older (including me)... parang alak hahahah. Layo ng live performance comparing rivermaya at dawn.

I saw sandwich played live during the first webbie awards sa new world hotel years ago. They do make great songs but di ako enjoy sa live set nila... how are they playing live nowadays?

Eraserheads is a good "novelty" band... but they sucks playing live imho.

Other memorable bands playing live was violent playground and deans december (binky lampno).

A concert that I regret not seeing is the MTV Alternative something.... with Foo Fighters, Sonic Youth and another american band that I forgot... Eraseheads was the front-act band I think.

Rock On!

As promised .... heto FR ko sa Bonez Tour......

31 March....Venue: The Fort Open Field...........

Dumating kami ng utol ko sa site mga 7:50PM 10 minutes before the start of the show.........bale yung ticket namin indicates na dun kami sa Silver-2 section so duon kami pumunta.....first time ko lang duon so medyo nalito ako kung saan kami uupo..but damn....kahit di napuno yung venue e I'm pretty sure the attendance was roughly around 5000..madami talagang tao....buti na lang at madami ding usherettes to assist us.....we waited about 25 minutes before we heard a siren.......the show was about to start

first off to rock the stage was Simple Plan. They started the set with "Bring me Down" and you could hear the girls screaming with all their might......since i love the song......I screamed along with them....feeling teenager talaga ako :lol: their repertoire included songs from the new as well as the old one......muntikan na nga ako mamalat sa kakakanta e......all in all they sang around 12-15 songs. Dun pa lang sulit na pera mo....plus the fact na ang galeng nila mag adlib in between songs. They sang "I'm just a kid/The worst day ever/Addicted/Welcome to my life/Crazy.....they even did a cover of that The Darkness song (I forgot the title hehehe) kahit basag e forgivable naman e .......and of course........they ended their set with Perfect......the whole crowd went nuts as everyone raised their hands and the sang the song in unison......afterwhich they waved and said goodbye ..........then the lights went off..........Avril Lavigne was next.

Edited by Cotton

Simple Plan's set was in direct contrast to the Avril Lavigne set. The former was more fun and energetic and the band really knew how to fully charge the crowd...not to mention they sounded live, duh?!

Avril Lavigne's set was the most anticipated but since i was so powered with the 1st set....i was kinda put offguard when she started doing sad and dark songs.....she started the song with "He Wasn't" (It was a personal favorite of mine) and she was wearing black shirt and pants and she had this headband with those that resemble like a pair of devil horns hehehe....i thought she was cute though........All in all she did 12+ songs ....some of which I don't like some of which I did like I'm with you/Skater boi/Nobody's Home and Happy Ending....but you have to admire that girl's craft....i mean on stage she played the guitar, she played the piano....and she even had her hands full on the drums (a member of her crew did a cover of the Blur hit "Song 2" ) .....although i can't help but think that she's living under the shadows of Alanis Morrisette............

anyways.....just when everyone thought the show was over.....she came out and did "Complicated" everyone went nuts and we all sang with her.......before the concert.....i always thoughts she was the silent and arrogant type as she used to portray during her TV/Awards appearances.....but guess what......at last night's show....she made everyone feel the opposite.....she was very warm and that blonde hair of hers just fascinates me....and when she smiled as in ramdam mo na hindi kaplastikan yung ngiti nya...damn lumambot ang puso ko.........she was talking more than what I used to see of her.....she was cheerful......and for whatever reason i dunno.....she showed us she was sincerely and truly happy....then the lights went off....The show was over

Edited by Cotton