Public Education In The Phillipines

Take home pay ng mga public school teachers wala pang 10k. Ilang years na nilang ipini-petition na sana umabot ng 18k at least salary ng teachers. May naapprove ngayon kaya lang installment pa gagawing increase.

Ang punto dito, kung ang magaling na teacher araw-araw po-problemahin kung paano pagkakasyahin ang kinikita nila, di sila makakapagperform ng maayos.

Again, Hindi excuse yan, SAAN KA BA NAMAN NAKAKITA NA ANG ENGLISH TEACHER MISMO NA NAGTUTURO NG ENGLISH SUBJECT SA ESTUDYANTE AY HINDI MARUNONG MAG ENGLISH NG MAAYOS?! EH ANONG MATUTUTUNAN NG ESTUDYENTE NYA SA KANYA EH DI PURO MALI DIN.

Edited by Sl@MDuNk_Mitsui14

I have nothing but admiration for public school teachers. They toil under poor conditions: low pay, inadequate teaching materials, and little chance for promotion; yet, they carry on their mission with nary a complaint (except of course, the militant ones). Many great leaders today, Chief Justice Reynato Puno for example, owe their education to the public schools and the public school teachers.

• 3 weeks later...
I read in today's newspaper that the passing grade for grade six students in the public schools have been downgraded to 66%!. Now where do you think we are headed for with this kind of standard?. Tsk tsk tsk, talagang paurong na nga ang Pilipinas!!

Not only that, I heard that they will even shorthen the classroom hours of the students. What can we expect of public school graduates if this is the kind of education they can get?

• 4 weeks later...

bro let's say di nga ganun kagagaling mag english mga teachers natin

pero ginagawa nila ang lahat para matuto ang estudyante..

maraming factors kung bakit mababa ang kalidad ng edukasyon sa pinas

at hindi mo pwede isisi lang yan sa teachers..

teacher din po ako at kita ko ang dedikasyon ng pinoy teachers

diyan sa pinas mapa public man o private

at dito sa abroad mapa full time teachers man o teacher assistant

• 3 years later...

It's too late to post here, although I would like to air something.

I tutored two public school students late last year to early this year. The subjects I covered: Math, Science and English.

Here are the things that I noticed:

2nd year HS student:

-Can't even solve for the value of x in a simple equation

-Can't even multiply 5 digit numbers if not given about 2 hours to solve a 10 problem page. Then gets 2/10 score

-Can't identify a specimen from common name to scientific name

-Can't even identify the basic parts of a gumamela flower

-Can't make complete sentences using English

-Demonstrates no knowledge of basic subject-verb agreement

-Doesn't know when and how to use prepositions and articles

-Can't form plural of nouns both regular and irregular

-Does not know the simple past tense of regular and irregular verbs

-Tested listening skills by playing a DVD in English and giving comprehension test - got a score of 2/20

Other 2nd year HS students

-Blank grade in the class card for one grading period

-Miraculously passed grade in the next grading period

-Same deficiencies as noted above

4th year HS students

-Miracle save the next grading period

-Graduated from HS last March

6th grade Elementary student

- Can't multiply decimals efficiently

- Can't understand word problems

- Can't form plural and past tense

- Can't construct basic sentences (S-V-O)

- Can't read properly

- Can't introduce herself in English

- Graduated from 6th grade last March

If the above mentioned problems are not an indictment of the public school system, I don't know what is. I understand the plight of those teachers who really chose vocation over profession. However, is it right to pass students for the sake of passing them without making so that they don't crowd the room on the next school year? If this is the case, then I don't have to wonder why the country is not improving. We're placing our futures in the hands of those who can't even spell right to save their own lives.

Am not saying the whole public school system is in the same boat as that of the school from which the above mentioned come from. However, they can be a great indicator that the government has forgotten one key aspect to make the nation better. Giving the opportunity to the younger generation to build a better lives for themselves.

It's too late to post here, although I would like to air something.

I tutored two public school students late last year to early this year. The subjects I covered: Math, Science and English.

Here are the things that I noticed:

2nd year HS student:

-Can't even solve for the value of x in a simple equation

-Can't even multiply 5 digit numbers if not given about 2 hours to solve a 10 problem page. Then gets 2/10 score

-Can't identify a specimen from common name to scientific name

-Can't even identify the basic parts of a gumamela flower

-Can't make complete sentences using English

-Demonstrates no knowledge of basic subject-verb agreement

-Doesn't know when and how to use prepositions and articles

-Can't form plural of nouns both regular and irregular

-Does not know the simple past tense of regular and irregular verbs

-Tested listening skills by playing a DVD in English and giving comprehension test - got a score of 2/20

Other 2nd year HS students

-Miraculously passed grade in the next grading period

4th year HS students

-Miracle save the next grading period

-Graduated from HS last March

6th grade Elementary student

- Can't multiply decimals efficiently

- Can't understand word problems

- Can't form plural and past tense

- Can't construct basic sentences (S-V-O)

- Can't read properly

- Can't introduce herself in English

- Graduated from 6th grade last March

If the above mentioned problems are not an indictment of the public school system, I don't know what is. I understand the plight of those teachers who really chose vocation over profession. However, is it right to pass students for the sake of passing them without making so that they don't crowd the room on the next school year? If this is the case, then I don't have to wonder why the country is not improving. We're placing our futures in the hands of those who can't even spell right to save their own lives.

Am not saying the whole public school system is in the same boat as that of the school from which the above mentioned come from. However, they can be a great indicator that the government has forgotten one key aspect to make the nation better. Giving the opportunity to the younger generation to build a better lives for themselves.

Lets please not generalize and condemn the public school system. This issue with stupid students exists in any country; it's not unique to the Philippines.

The mere fact that you needed to tutor them means they probably were at the tail-end of the curve. So they may not be representative of the lot.

You can't solve the problem in one big swoop. Resources are limited. So you concentrate your resources on people who could produce more over time. Ergo, you have special government schools, e.g., science high schools and state universities. High student selectivity, fewer students, focused learning. What comes out? Really smart people with high upsides. People who could help build the country from within OR siphon the money out of the industrialized nations and into to the Philippines. Hopefully, you'll build a critical mass of professionals who would rather work for nation-building than ask for more gov't dole-outs. And this is happening right now. So I urge people to temper the gloom and doom. We are improving. The Philippines is getting better.

Lets please not generalize and condemn the public school system. This issue with stupid students exists in any country; it's not unique to the Philippines.

The mere fact that you needed to tutor them means they probably were at the tail-end of the curve. So they may not be representative of the lot.

You can't solve the problem in one big swoop. Resources are limited. So you concentrate your resources on people who could produce more over time. Ergo, you have special government schools, e.g., science high schools and state universities. High student selectivity, fewer students, focused learning. What comes out? Really smart people with high upsides. People who could help build the country from within OR siphon the money out of the industrialized nations and into to the Philippines. Hopefully, you'll build a critical mass of professionals who would rather work for nation-building than ask for more gov't dole-outs. And this is happening right now. So I urge people to temper the gloom and doom. We are improving. The Philippines is getting better.

Sorry, but if there's one thing that I would not agree with is calling any student stupid for any matter.

As for the quality of education, I've known people who came from regular public schools, not the science high schools but did well in life. That's the thing, we focus on those specialized high schools which to use your words have high student selectivity, fewer students, etc. But the question still remains, how about regular public schools which is more accessible to those less fortunate students? Should we sacrifice their quality in favor of those science high schools?

Sorry, but if there's one thing that I would not agree with is calling any student stupid for any matter.

I know that every educator would like to believe that all students are equally capable of learning. Well, that's romantic and all. But genetics tell a different story. Humans are not born equal. You give two persons the same level of training and they will not have the same aptitude.

And sorry, I'm not the one to sugarcoat reality. The labels become derogatory precisely because we put too much emphasis on their negative, emotionally-charged connotations. To me a stupid person is someone far below the norm - it is as factually, clinically dry as it can get. It is what it is. Calling him "special" or "needing of guidance", etc doesn't change the fact that he is intellectually uncompetitive.

As for the quality of education, I've known people who came from regular public schools, not the science high schools but did well in life. That's the thing, we focus on those specialized high schools which to use your words have high student selectivity, fewer students, etc. But the question still remains, how about regular public schools which is more accessible to those less fortunate students? Should we sacrifice their quality in favor of those science high schools?

again, we're talking anecdotes versus statistics. apples to oranges. I also know people from public non-science HS who did good in life. So I don't discount that. But here's the deal, I would bet my life that the success rate of people from specialized highs schools and state universities are far higher than those of non-science HS and state universities; the ratio of successful professionals to specialized school graduates is far higher than that of professionals to general public school graduates. And it is even likely that the total income of that small minority will likely be more than the combined income of all the professionals from general public schools.

The concept of pooling your resources to develop your top talent isn't something new. In fact, it is a tried and tested ASIAN formula. All the "miracle economies", e.g., Japan, Singapore, Taiwan, Hongkong, etc, have adopted that policy. Why? because top talents bring you exponential gains; they eventually give more money back than what you spend on them.

You ask me a question abt regular schools and the less fortunate and my answer is YES. Whilst it is counter-intuitive to sacrifice the likely majority for a few, this is actually a better policy than the egalitarian system that you seem to suggest. Remember that you have a small pie. If you split that equally over a multitude just so you satisfy your desire for "fairness", you'd end up giving each one crumbs - too little to satisfy hunger, maybe a bit insulting too. So not only that you really didn't substantially feed anyone, you also piss them off. Now, if you split that small pie and gave a bigger share to the smart ones, those well-fed smart ones could eventually grow up and learn to bake more pies. They then could help you feed the less smart ones.

The concept of maximizing returns by intelligently investing resources is well ingrained in business and economics. I don't get it that we just throw reason out of the window when we suddenly are dealing with social sciences, like humans are all of a sudden immune to the principles of basic math.

Now, am I advocating that we simply abandon those less smart kids? NO. We need Indians as much as we need Chiefs. So the right approach is to invest in them commensurate to what they can give in return; to each according to his abilities. Obviously, even among the Indians, there will be ranks. Some might break out, have an epiphany and become Chiefs themselves. All the better.

As for the rest of the Indians, don't feel too bad for them. They have come a long way since. In the olden times, they'd be sold as slaves, asked to fight wars and die, or simply die out of abject poverty. Now, we have social security, labor laws, and we have NGOs to come to their aid. Oh, and they can vote nincompoops in office. So with that perspective, it isn't that bad. It's not good, definitely could be better. But let's not overreact and be gloomy with all these. We're too soft as a people. We need to toughen up a bit.

• 1 month later...

I know that every educator would like to believe that all students are equally capable of learning. Well, that's romantic and all. But genetics tell a different story. Humans are not born equal. You give two persons the same level of training and they will not have the same aptitude.

And sorry, I'm not the one to sugarcoat reality. The labels become derogatory precisely because we put too much emphasis on their negative, emotionally-charged connotations. To me a stupid person is someone far below the norm - it is as factually, clinically dry as it can get. It is what it is. Calling him "special" or "needing of guidance", etc doesn't change the fact that he is intellectually uncompetitive.

again, we're talking anecdotes versus statistics. apples to oranges. I also know people from public non-science HS who did good in life. So I don't discount that. But here's the deal, I would bet my life that the success rate of people from specialized highs schools and state universities are far higher than those of non-science HS and state universities; the ratio of successful professionals to specialized school graduates is far higher than that of professionals to general public school graduates. And it is even likely that the total income of that small minority will likely be more than the combined income of all the professionals from general public schools.

The concept of pooling your resources to develop your top talent isn't something new. In fact, it is a tried and tested ASIAN formula. All the "miracle economies", e.g., Japan, Singapore, Taiwan, Hongkong, etc, have adopted that policy. Why? because top talents bring you exponential gains; they eventually give more money back than what you spend on them.

You ask me a question abt regular schools and the less fortunate and my answer is YES. Whilst it is counter-intuitive to sacrifice the likely majority for a few, this is actually a better policy than the egalitarian system that you seem to suggest. Remember that you have a small pie. If you split that equally over a multitude just so you satisfy your desire for "fairness", you'd end up giving each one crumbs - too little to satisfy hunger, maybe a bit insulting too. So not only that you really didn't substantially feed anyone, you also piss them off. Now, if you split that small pie and gave a bigger share to the smart ones, those well-fed smart ones could eventually grow up and learn to bake more pies. They then could help you feed the less smart ones.

The concept of maximizing returns by intelligently investing resources is well ingrained in business and economics. I don't get it that we just throw reason out of the window when we suddenly are dealing with social sciences, like humans are all of a sudden immune to the principles of basic math.

Now, am I advocating that we simply abandon those less smart kids? NO. We need Indians as much as we need Chiefs. So the right approach is to invest in them commensurate to what they can give in return; to each according to his abilities. Obviously, even among the Indians, there will be ranks. Some might break out, have an epiphany and become Chiefs themselves. All the better.

As for the rest of the Indians, don't feel too bad for them. They have come a long way since. In the olden times, they'd be sold as slaves, asked to fight wars and die, or simply die out of abject poverty. Now, we have social security, labor laws, and we have NGOs to come to their aid. Oh, and they can vote nincompoops in office. So with that perspective, it isn't that bad. It's not good, definitely could be better. But let's not overreact and be gloomy with all these. We're too soft as a people. We need to toughen up a bit.

So the bottom line is, as far as you're conerned, invest more resources on assets which promise a higher rate of return. The observation that some students show more promise because they display seemingly higher intelligence may be the result of proper motivation rather than plain intelligence. These students are fortunate to have good teachers, good facilities, good motivation. Students who may be equally intelligent but are unfortunate to have bad teachers, poor facilities, and poor motivation may tend to score lower than their more fortunate counterparts.

Then again, what's the point in investing in these "bright kids" if these students decide one day they want to seek greener pastures elsewhere? How does investing in these kids' education today emsure that they will one day re-invest their knowledge into our society?

Let's face it. The smart kids who eventually become successful leave this country to make something of themselves abroad. The not so smart kids and those smart kids who never made anything of themsleves because of lack of opportunity remain here.

This has been going on since time immemorial. Let's not delude ourselves into thinking the future of education in this country is all hunky dory.

• 1 year later...

far as I know the salaries of teachers in public schools have become almost at par if not a little higher than in some private schools and that's the reason why some private schools are losing their teachers who decide to transfer to the public school system. this may good but I still think a ladderized school program that allows students to go on to regular 4 or 5 year courses after finishing tech-voc courses that give opportunities for employment is essential so we can have more graduates coming out of the 4-5 yr courses that give better chances for employment both outside and abroad. this will help decrease unemployment and also reduce poverty

Edited by Doctor Juris
  • 3 weeks later...

bibble pro 4.9.9 crack

xilisoft ipod video converter+crack

all crack and serial

download songs of tv serial

chinese language download

hp 215 photosmart driver

download x-men

download and play a army game

how do download streaming video

autoexpect download

mastadex download

pode entrar ivete download

compress pictures download

yuna tidus sky theme download

window xp themes for free download

download songs of kanyadaan

wifi link 5100 linux driver

download mp4 mobile videos

drv video player

twain scanner driver to installed

bo download free tae

air share download

tortilla soup 2001 download

microsoft access 2003 trial download

how to download sound

nathan disney australian race driver

download guidgen.exe

wookie wookie free mp3 download

qip download

telecom for dummies download

simpterm download

hp 3570 driver

winprop download

lactating pics movies download

calculate dsl download ratio

jam touchpad driver

slayers evox auto installer v2.5 download

gonzo hunter download

crack servers for cod4

free mms for n900 download

starcraft download 1.15.2

the fast food song download

afroman frobama download

yahoo hacking download

warcraft 3 no-cd crack download

caesar3 download

o2micro pcmcia smartcard driver

download neomodus

x61t bluetooth driver

download books from ebrary

download e173fp drivers

p2p download search

corel draw download free trial

how to download cdgs

compatible controller download driver host universal usb via

video display driver for windows me

download bible on phone

download gish demo

download parketi feat elena risteska

download old television comercials

what are the cheats for city driver

free sucurity computer download

ebook download erotic

sat za desktop download

smart sniffer download

ubuntu download flash drive

us robotics modem 56k driver

generals patch 1.7 download

dire straits torrent download

download annual calendar 2008

download truck driver

pocket pc free download theme

utorrent free download mac

download free dj limmer on mp3

beat download making program

download aironix

limp bizkit livin it up download

download free bollywood songs videos

download violence jack 2

this boy beatles download

motorola w375 pc charging driver

you can put the blame on me download

sugar bowl 2009 download

download er game

dvdrw driver download

alisha chinai mp3 download

airstrike 3d full version download

document download free word

download songs of musafir

ts h552l driver

chess titans download torrent

cake mania full version free download

drivers education snohomish county washington

download windows version of turbo pascal

magos de balon video download

live screensaver free download

t-mobile togo account activation code download

activex download from microsoft

clinton thesis pdf download

how to crack demo

lexmark z600 driver for xp

l word episode download

dxlive video download

update realtek driver

leisure suite larry download

redhat manual download

download ultravnc server

windows xp iso image download

mail washer pro v.4.1.9 crack

blue moon song download

directx 6 0 download

torrent download my sassy girl

2 fast 2 furious download italiano

wah wah wah sound download

advance de download gba nintendo rom snes

sym22802 driver

download afroman crazy rap

download accent special edition

realaudio hits of the 60s download

dell latitude cpt 400 keyboard driver

free download songs of kareeb

back to the future theme song download

driver para usb zte mf 110

download guild greet addon wow

hp driver 2100

driver maps

aise mausam kahan download

fate video game download

download contacts iphone

azureus linksys router wont download

unable to contact ip driver vista

tamil movie videos free download

eris download

lexmark x1100 series download for vista

driver hl-2030

xdaii driver

bb ota download

rjabinuska mp3 download mp3

download lagu gamelan

sex ed video download

resistor code download

hindi mp3 ringtones free download

ontari songs download

free offline download poker

download forum poster

download driver free geforce4 mx440 nvidia

download trance music gratis

x factor finalists hero free music download

serbian-spanish dictionary download

laura white because of you free download

firefox dll driver missing

radeon rv100 driver

omnioutliner 3.5 download

tweak pro crack

driver floorboard wet

pin crack v53

microsft 2001 baseball download

samsung omnia garmin download

unsealer free download

driver home every night

love lockdown+download

nicecast 1.8.2 download

dell all-in-one download

jennifer lopez music videos download

wasteland dos classic download

kashmir ki kali mp3 download

ost to pst converter crack

kulu demo download

avery 8931 word template download

mellan oss tv german translation download

driver rs232 usb

download ready movie online

john adams sountrack download

the legion of doom download

me and mr jonas download

metroid prime gamecube rom download

get smart 2008 download

sony cybershot dsc s600 driver

82566dc 2 gigabit driver

download file from internet

gn 788 driver download

lula 3d free download

c-media driver download

instrument music download

asus cd-s480 a5 driver download

download songs to bluetooth

download gi oh yu

green fields of france download

maple story manual patch download

download business objects xi

download s60 software package

freeware dnealian font download

driver hp photosmart 435

download free cad rendering

3gp bandung download

c-media 97 ac driver

download free installation program

scrabble free download full version

meb-vm audio driver xp

download hp photosmart 7260 printer driver

• 5 months later...

madami kasi problema ang public school. sa totoo lang ayaw naman kasi ng gobyerno na maging edukado ang mga mahihirap.

kung marunong mag isip para sa sarili ang masa sa tingin nyo ba mananalo pa sa pulitika yung mga magnanakaw na yan...

mas gusto ng mga naka pwesto na nag hihirap ang tao kasi sa dami ng problema ng mga mahihirap masyado na sila distracted para problemahin pa ang mga issue ng bayan.

pag inayos mo yung education system ng bansa wala nang pag asa yung mga pulitiko, kaya pinababayaan talaga nila yang mga public schools at state universities natin.

• 2 months later...

Oo na. Marami na tayong alam tungkol sa Public School system not being effective. Question is what are we going to do to help? Wala rin? Eh di pareho lang tayo.

If the government itself can’t do anything to help its own system, how much more the other? Yeah sure we can blame anyone and anything endlessly but let’s just be aware that we are part of the system thus far.

This may sound too cliché but why don’t we look around and look at ourselves, then, and only then we can realize that the problem is also within us. So it boils down now to self-reliant, that is, if this ‘self’ (being hyphenated with 'reliant' or as compound words) rings a bell to many.

they (government officials) dont wanna fix the public school system for one reason: Votes!

Hows the population of the poor in the PH? you know the approximate figures. That means more student in the public school. The more they keep the public school system a crap, the more people will have crap education with a mind that can easily be twisted. Therefore, soon, when they grow 18year of age, they can easily be manipulated into voting the candidate who handed them what? 100peso bill? 100 peso bill?

maybe not all, but thats how it works, the more stupid eligible voters are there in the country, the corrupt people can easily manipulate things. its a cycle.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If the government itself can’t do anything to help its own system, how much more the other? Yeah sure we can blame anyone and anything endlessly but let’s just be aware that we are part of the system thus far.

This may sound too cliché but why don’t we look around and look at ourselves, then, and only then we can realize that the problem is also within us. So it boils down now to self-reliant, that is, if this ‘self’ (being hyphenated with 'reliant' or as compound words) rings a bell to many.

Just to share some thoughts about the topic... I agree.:) It may seem that it only stems from the values and commitment of the ones who are running the education system. from the local schools to the national agencies, but in reality, the other side is what we learn at home, Value System... it Includes us.

Recently may nagpakamatay na college student in Bicol, people are blaming the government for it. Agree na may mas mabigat responsbilities ang government (this includes the school). PERO! may responsibilities din ang parents and peers nung bata. As said earlier the government cannot do things alone. based from experience, It starts with the employees who do not seem to know why they are in the government... yung iba dapat mag retire na dahil ayaw na gawin ang trabaho nila (may senior at seniority complex na), yung iba naman gusto lang sweldo hindi trabaho (apparently magkaiba pla yung sweldo at trabaho- which should be cleared sa hiring process), yung iba na with the high ideals and values and at the start wants and initiates "positive/progressive/change" kaso naging inutil dahil "nakain" or gets burnt out by the system. we have a long way to go in terms of Human resource, but the policies are there, the systems can be developed and enhanced to suit us socio-culturally... sabi nga... "ang mas matinding kalaban ay ang sarili".

• Like (+1) 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...