215 replies to this topic

#1 TheSmilingBandit

TheSmilingBandit

The End of Innocence

• 5265 posts
  • Interests:1984 is NOW
    Big Brother Is Watching

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:44 AM

I noticed that the previous thread was chock-full of spam posts, since it would take too long to remove and edit the s@%t, I made this new thread. Any poster going OT (defined as not about Christianity, pro or anti) will be taking a 2 day vacation for the first offense and doubling after that.

Please note that any form of personal attacks or flaming is also verbotten.

This is a new thread, don't make it a dirty one.

Edited by TheSmilingBandit, 29 June 2010 - 11:49 AM.

#2 Gunnerside

Gunnerside

Virgin

• (04) Casual
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:12 PM

Not for kids. Not for those new on the quest.
The lectures on Christianity Fair and Foul and Faith and Reason would be appropriate for readers of this thread.

http://www.yale.edu/...e/eagleton.html
Faith and Fundamentalism: Is Belief in Richard Dawkins Necessary for Salvation?

Also available in Itunes. Search for "yale eagleton"

I am an unbeliever. But it is important that we also hear a sophisticated response to our unbelief.

#3 Hex_Arenas

Hex_Arenas

Lover

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1075 posts
  • Interests:Good food, good books, good music and great conversations... *tink*

Posted 01 July 2010 - 04:49 AM

Two Christian philosophers talk eloquently and persuasively about the Bible and Modernism and Theology

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=Tw6TCu6LwAE&feature=related

#4 Itto Ogami

Itto Ogami

Philanderer

• (09) Manic Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3002 posts
  • Interests:my services can be availed of for 100 pieces of gold...

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:28 AM

courtesy of SayingImages.com

Posted Image

#5 BornAtNight

BornAtNight

God of Lust

• UNREGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6096 posts
  • Interests:Friendship

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:23 AM

we're all sinners and we all need repentance, do it sincerily

#6 photographer

photographer

Sensualist

• (10) Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4174 posts
  • Interests:Cemetery

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:17 PM

courtesy of SayingImages.com

Posted Image

Sana nga, its been a long time since I felt Him inside me. :ohmy:I still Love Him!

#7 knoll1234

knoll1234

PiSSoFF ArtisT SouThPoler

• (07) Avid Member
  • 1503 posts
  • Interests:live and let live. I enjoy everything the world can give with a twist. I have the means . I hate cowards , losers and pretenders. I admire the ones who are sensible and consistently sharp.

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:00 AM

practitioners and non practitioners.You be the judge of one of the oldest religions in the world. The truths, the half-truths and the fallacies.

#8 knoll1234

knoll1234

PiSSoFF ArtisT SouThPoler

• (07) Avid Member
  • 1503 posts
  • Interests:live and let live. I enjoy everything the world can give with a twist. I have the means . I hate cowards , losers and pretenders. I admire the ones who are sensible and consistently sharp.

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:02 AM

there is an islam thread also one of the oldest religion. There should be a specific non-generic religion thread for the catholics. There should also be a thread on protestants., born again christians and baptists.

#9 mavrico

mavrico

Looker

• (04) Casual
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 03:57 PM

there is an islam thread also one of the oldest religion. There should be a specific non-generic religion thread for the catholics. There should also be a thread on protestants., born again christians and baptists.

A Christian who's not a Catholic is a Protestant...

#10 Jourdan

Jourdan

nzchick's orc

• (10) Super Poster
  • 4390 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:21 PM

A Christian who's not a Catholic is a Protestant...

hmm...how abt the Greek Orthodox Christians? Strictly speaking, they are not really Protestants since they pre-date the Protestant movement. I wouldn't call them heretics as the Arians, Gnostics, etc. either.

I would say there are non-Catholics who have communion with the Church in Rome. I honestly don't know if you could really call them Protestants.

#11 mavrico

mavrico

Looker

• (04) Casual
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:56 PM

hmm...how abt the Greek Orthodox Christians? Strictly speaking, they are not really Protestants since they pre-date the Protestant movement. I wouldn't call them heretics as the Arians, Gnostics, etc. either.

I would say there are non-Catholics who have communion with the Church in Rome. I honestly don't know if you could really call them Protestants.

Basically the word Protestant is usually used with anti-Catholics, those Christians who go against Catholic teachings.

As far as I know and remember history, Orthodox separated from the authority of Rome in the 1100's and they have their own Patriarch. It's just only recently that they started to acknowledge again the authority of the Pope. In any way, they can still be called Protestants for they still came from the Catholic Church.

#12 Flash Sentry

Flash Sentry

Equestria Girls fan

• (10) Super Poster
  • 4118 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Girls, Girls

Posted 03 October 2010 - 04:20 AM

Basically the word Protestant is usually used with anti-Catholics, those Christians who go against Catholic teachings.

As far as I know and remember history, Orthodox separated from the authority of Rome in the 1100's and they have their own Patriarch. It's just only recently that they started to acknowledge again the authority of the Pope. In any way, they can still be called Protestants for they still came from the Catholic Church.

Corrections: the Orthodox Church doesn't have one Patriarch; we don't subscribe to the same view as the Catholics that one bishop should have jurisdiction over the whole Church; that was not how the early Church was. Also, we still do not acknowledge the authority of the Pope. The Orthodox Church can't be called Protestants as there was nothing to protest nor was the schism because of a protest. Protestants are called as such mainly because of what Luther did--that he nailed his protests at a church, thus those who broke off from the Catholic Church from his time on are called Protestants.

#13 Jourdan

Jourdan

nzchick's orc

• (10) Super Poster
  • 4390 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:23 AM

Corrections: the Orthodox Church doesn't have one Patriarch; we don't subscribe to the same view as the Catholics that one bishop should have jurisdiction over the whole Church; that was not how the early Church was. Also, we still do not acknowledge the authority of the Pope. The Orthodox Church can't be called Protestants as there was nothing to protest nor was the schism because of a protest. Protestants are called as such mainly because of what Luther did--that he nailed his protests at a church, thus those who broke off from the Catholic Church from his time on are called Protestants.

yup, this is also what i know. The Orthodox Church agrees with the major tenets of Christian faith with the Catholic Church, although there is certainly a disagreement on the interpretation of Petrine Supremacy. I remember that even the liturgical year is slightly different. There are also differences as to what books constitute the bible, specifically on the deuterocanonical/apocryphal books.BUT Orthodox Christians are not protestants bec. they never protested against Roman rites.

#14 kira21

kira21

Looker

• (04) Casual
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:Listening to Loud Music, Watching Movies at home, Playing Basketball, Play Station 3... Reading Books,Magazine, etc...

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:43 PM

Christianity is all about Jesus Christ to whom God Demonstrates His Greatest Loves to Mankind :wub: by Letting His Son Dying on the cross :( to pay the penalty of SIN -_- to save us all from eternal damnation, which each of us are all candidates,:( unless John 3:16, Ephesians 2:8-9... we accept the GIFT of God Which is free and Making Christ as our Lord and Savior...:ohmy:

#15 Flash Sentry

Flash Sentry

Equestria Girls fan

• (10) Super Poster
  • 4118 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:32 AM

yup, this is also what i know. The Orthodox Church agrees with the major tenets of Christian faith with the Catholic Church, although there is certainly a disagreement on the interpretation of Petrine Supremacy. I remember that even the liturgical year is slightly different. There are also differences as to what books constitute the bible, specifically on the deuterocanonical/apocryphal books.BUT Orthodox Christians are not protestants bec. they never protested against Roman rites.

Ironically, some Orthodox would call the Catholic Church as the first Protestant since it tampered with the Nicene Creed. Most Orthodox also see the Catholic Church as under heresy because of that.

#16 Jourdan

Jourdan

nzchick's orc

• (10) Super Poster
  • 4390 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:58 AM

Ironically, some Orthodox would call the Catholic Church as the first Protestant since it tampered with the Nicene Creed. Most Orthodox also see the Catholic Church as under heresy because of that.

well, i wouldn't exactly label any as a heresy...the major differences, in my opinion, are superficial. Plus I don't really think that the separation started during the 1100s; it happened much earlier when the Roman Empire was divided into 2. Essentially, for hundreds of years before the schism, both Roman tradition and Greek Orthodoxy have co-existed as valid interpretations of what Christ has taught men. Now, I couldn't say which one stayed on course since I really have very little knowledge of Greek Orthodoxy.

#17 Flash Sentry

Flash Sentry

Equestria Girls fan

• (10) Super Poster
  • 4118 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:19 PM

well, i wouldn't exactly label any as a heresy...the major differences, in my opinion, are superficial. Plus I don't really think that the separation started during the 1100s; it happened much earlier when the Roman Empire was divided into 2. Essentially, for hundreds of years before the schism, both Roman tradition and Greek Orthodoxy have co-existed as valid interpretations of what Christ has taught men. Now, I couldn't say which one stayed on course since I really have very little knowledge of Greek Orthodoxy.

Basically correct; when the Empire was divided, East and West went separate ways early on, though the rift only manifested much later. When the Western Empire fell, the only institution left standing there was the Western Church. Since there was practically no other institution to check it, gradually the bishop of Rome acquired powers much greater than its office. In the East, where the Empire still existed, there was no need for any of the Patriarchs there to assume the role of the emperor (which was what the bishop of Rome took over from), so how the Church was (and should be) managed was kept virtually intact.

#18 Hex_Arenas

Hex_Arenas

Lover

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • 1075 posts
  • Interests:Good food, good books, good music and great conversations... *tink*

Posted 08 October 2010 - 02:30 AM

The good thing is both the Churches in the East and West have withdrawn their (mutual) excommunication of the other, and steps are being undertaken towards full communion with the Church in Rome. (Similar steps are being undertaken by the Anglican Church, as well as other evangelical churches in the U.S.)Right now the biggest obstacle to full communion with the East is doctrinal, and it arises from the "filioque controversy" (whether the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father, or from both the Father and the Son.) Our Orthodox brothers and sisters are not Protestants, and really, there are more similarities than differences in belief. :-)

By the way, I found this funny cartoon featuring a hilarious young Socrates destroying Zeno's ideas :-) Check it out, it's hilarious! Reminded me of some of the previous exchanges on these threads.

Here it is:

Young Socrates vs Zeno.
If you would remember, Zeno is famous for his paradoxes, one of which is his proposition that there is no change (change, and motion, is an illusion).

Attached Files

Edited by TheSmilingBandit, 12 January 2011 - 12:48 PM.

#19 Chito

Chito

Still looking around

• (10) Super Poster
  • 4037 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:29 AM

I like the trend of this thread so far. An overwhelming number of people nowadays associate the word "Christian" with strange 20th century sects without regard for its historical path and development since the time when Jesus walked the Earth.

Quite predictably, members of those 20th century sects would absolutely find this thread uninteresting if it follows its current trend -- which suits me just fine. I've always found that appeals to sola scriptura is the worst pang-gulo in discussions of Christianity.

The good thing is both the Churches in the East and West have withdrawn their (mutual) excommunication of the other, and steps are being undertaken towards full communion with the Church in Rome. (Similar steps are being undertaken by the Anglican Church, as well as other evangelical churches in the U.S.)...

Initially thought as the bridge between Catholicism and Protestantism, Anglicanism has actually been rather dead in the water as far as ecumenical dialogue goes. It has been eaten up so much by secularism in it's native England that you can barely recognize Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams as a leader of anything remotely Christian.

Benedict XVI recognized this early in his term as Pope and (instead of pursuing a whole lot of nothing by continuing dialogues with a "church" that has shown absolutely no interest in being relevant in it's homeland) has instead worked on an Apostolic Constitution that allows Anglicans a reunion of sorts with Rome while retaining a distinctly Anglican manner of worship. Evidently, old-style ecumenism was not getting the desired results with the Church of England, so Benedict one-upped everyone by going through the Congregation on the Doctrine of Faith (the former Office of the Inquisition) and providing conservative Anglicans an easier way out (or rather an easier way in.)

In a related development, Archbishop Williams was said to remark, "Dude, where's my congregation?" :lol:

http://blogs.telegra...cted-anglicans/

Edited by TheSmilingBandit, 12 January 2011 - 12:38 PM.

#20 monazario

monazario

Lover

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • 1440 posts
  • Interests:contacts, acquaintances, friends.

Posted 22 October 2010 - 06:55 AM

faith up against your will through the thick and thin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users