What would make students study harder?

Firstly, having students study harder may not be a desirable goal. We want them to perform better, not necessarily study harder. When I was teaching in the university, I was always on the lookout for the guy or girl who is often absent, or frequently comes late or is usually quiet in class. (I taught journalism, BTW) But if they happen to submit exemplary work at the right time, I waive the rules about absenteeism or tardiness; somehow nobody lodged a serious complaint, but I had always emphasized that these students have a great career ahead of them as writers.

Secondly, the usual challenge is how to make the course more interesting. There are as many ways to teach and learn a concept (teaching and learning are two different things), and the challenge to the teacher is to find the right mix.

Thirdly, we can also go the assessment track, and make sure that their exams or tests, or whatever means we employ to assess learning is equally challenging and interesting.

Fourthly, the students generally take in as much as we (the teachers) give. You will have to figure this one out by yourself. And

Finally, having a sense of humour and adventure always helps. Sometimes its necessary not to take things too seriously.

• 1 month later...

Firstly, having students study harder may not be a desirable goal. We want them to perform better, not necessarily study harder. When I was teaching in the university, I was always on the lookout for the guy or girl who is often absent, or frequently comes late or is usually quiet in class. (I taught journalism, BTW) But if they happen to submit exemplary work at the right time, I waive the rules about absenteeism or tardiness; somehow nobody lodged a serious complaint, but I had always emphasized that these students have a great career ahead of them as writers.

Secondly, the usual challenge is how to make the course more interesting. There are as many ways to teach and learn a concept (teaching and learning are two different things), and the challenge to the teacher is to find the right mix.

Thirdly, we can also go the assessment track, and make sure that their exams or tests, or whatever means we employ to assess learning is equally challenging and interesting.

Fourthly, the students generally take in as much as we (the teachers) give. You will have to figure this one out by yourself. And

Finally, having a sense of humour and adventure always helps. Sometimes its necessary not to take things too seriously.

I agree with this one. What I do with my students is to give them exercises (easy ones), grade them and discuss them the next class. This is really effective. I give 1 homework in a week which is also easy, but should make them know how to work things out. Keeping them interested is also a key, what I do is search for recent articles related sa topic that most of them will be able to relate to (especially if field nila).

• 2 months later...

Generally speaking, in order for the students to learn effectively (without pressuring them), a teacher should learn to adapt different methods of teaching or strategies for effective teaching.

Below are examples of strategies for effective learning:

(Applicable to Secondary and Intermediate level (or even higher)

Practical examples (connecting theory with applications)

Show and Tell (reversing student roles)

Case studies (Bringing "Real-Life" Scenarios into the Classroom)

Open-ended labs (Making Students Think Deeper)

The flowchart technique (organizing the flow of thought)

Open-ended quizzes (Moving Students Away From Memorization)

Brainstorming (Encouraging activity)

Question-and-answer method (Encouraging Student Participation)

Software (Increasing teaching efficiency)

Teaching improvement (monitoring your progress)

Fast Feedback form (contributing your ideas)

http://www.engr.wisc.edu/

• 2 months later...

Generally speaking, in order for the students to learn effectively (without pressuring them), a teacher should learn to adapt different methods of teaching or strategies for effective teaching.

I agree in using different teaching methodologies depending on the subject matter. Active learning is more important than passive learning in adults.

^^As far as active learning is concerned, it is not only as effective as adult's learning but also in general terms. But being a passive learner, however, does not mean that the students in that level are not learning. An effective teacher, like what i had stated earlier, can be more effective once the output have come out with good results. And that is by applying all the methods of teaching. Meaning, the passivity of learning is likely out of the question here. ;)

Edited by Julianda
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I am certain that these teaching techniques will make the lessons more memorable for students. I wonder if these techniques are already in place in Philippine education. We need to move from an education that stresses memorization to an education that stresses how to think and analyze effectively.

Edited by maxiev

I am certain that these teaching techniques will make the lessons more memorable for students. I wonder if these techniques are already in place in Philippine education. We need to move from an education that stresses memorization to an education that stresses how to think and analyze effectively.

I guess the teaching strategies or techniques that being mentioned are certainly applicable regardless of the country where you are in. And yes, even before, our schools or unis in our country are into those techniques you've mentioned. Actually, it's not the school per se but the individuals (being the educators ) who had their own style of applying those techniques.

• 2 weeks later...

A professor who knows how to think "outside the box" can motivate his/her students to study harder. The professor must be willing to experiment using different teaching techniques until he/she can narrow down the best methods possible in motivating students. Sometimes, the professor needs to employ trial and error methods and when something seems to work, the professor can use that to his/her advantage.

By making the lesson relevant to everyday life. For instance, when studying the Noli or Fili, the professor can ask his students to name today's counterpart of Dona Victorina, for instance. Or compare the role the Catholic Church played in Rizal's time with the role it plays today. And so on and so forth....

For guys, having a really beautiful and sexy teacher can help motivate them to study harder so they can impress the teacher with their knowledge of the subject matter. And perhaps even help them get to first base. ;) Just kidding guys. Peace.

For guys, having a really beautiful and sexy teacher can help motivate them to study harder so they can impress the teacher with their knowledge of the subject matter. And perhaps even help them get to first base. ;) Just kidding guys. Peace.

Or it could distract the hell out of them. Haha

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Depende sa course, madaming students ang talagang "spoon feeding" ang kailangan, kasi bukod sa short span ang attention sa lesson....ang mga gadgets at technology ang nagle- lessen sa kasipagan....sad to say lalo na sa mga private schools. :wacko:

In addition to this...if the subject is quite serious and boring (for the students) the teacher/prof need to show short films or scripts for a better understanding while discussing the topic.