Language Subjects

Aside from the Standard English and Filipino Subjects that you took, were there any other foreign languages you learned from school?

For me, unfortunately none, the schools that i went to didn't include any other Language Subjects aside from those mentioned :( Though it is my dream to learn Japanese, Spanish or Mandarin :)

Guest vaindoll

En la universidad de las islas filipinas, yo estudio y hablo lengua español. Es muy interesante y mi proffesora es muy guapa.

alright alright my spanish sucks. I dont know how to speak in the past tense.

hehe. Old curriculum in UP requires the students to learn and take 6 units of the Spanish language whatever your course is. Although the music students are required to take up 5 different languages if i remember it correctly. Im an FA grad and I really wanted to learn Latin if i had the chance.

Intiendes? Bien.

En la universidad de las islas filipinas, yo estudio y hablo lengua español. Es muy interesante y mi proffesora es muy guapa.

hehe. Old curriculum in UP requires the students to learn and take 6 units of the Spanish language whatever your course is. Although the music students are required to take up 5 different languages if i remember it correctly. Im an FA grad and I really wanted to learn Latin if i had the chance.

Intiendes? Bien.

So what were the other languages you took aside from Spanish?

I also crave for French and German, looks very challenging :rolleyes:

Intiendes? Bien.

Actually, I was speaking of UP. We had to take 12 units, not six, of Español. That was the old (or should I say older?) curriculum. Later, I believe, students had to take six units of Filipino, thereby decreasing the units of Español. Then Español disappeared altogether as a requirement.

Muy, muy, muy......

Guest vaindoll
So what were the other languages you took aside from Spanish?

I also crave for French and German, looks very challenging  :rolleyes:

CFA po ako yun lang yung nirequire samin sa 2001 curriculum.

but my ex boyfriend na violinist sa UP took up Japanese, Portugese, Spanish, Mandarin, and French :)

Guest vaindoll
Actually, I was speaking of UP.  We had to take 12 units, not six, of Español.  That was the old (or should I say older?) curriculum.  Later, I believe, students had to take six units of Filipino, thereby decreasing the units of Español.  Then Español disappeared altogether as a requirement.

oic. batch 2001 kasi ako eh 6 units lang ni-require sa min na Span :)

Then the curriculum after our batch changed radically pag pasok ng RGEP. Revised General educ program nakakalito buti 2001 ako pumasok

Muy, muy, muy......

CFA po ako yun lang yung nirequire samin sa 2001 curriculum.

but my ex boyfriend na violinist sa UP took up Japanese, Portugese, Spanish, Mandarin, and French :)

Were these requirements or electives?

By the way, when I said Español disappeared as a requirement, I meant that it was no longer a requirement for ALL students, regardless of course. Back in the 1970s, you had to take Español, whether you were a business, engineering, architecture or whatever major.

Edited by jt2003
Guest vaindoll
Were these requirements or electives?

By the way, when I said Español disappeared as a requirement, I meant that it was no longer a requirement for ALL students, regardless of course.  Back in the 1970s, you had to take Español, whether you were a business, engineering, architecture or whatever major.

Requirement sya talaga hindi sya elective or sa CFA batch 2001. Yung sa music, i am not certain bec we are not in talking terms anymore.

Nasa listahan sya ng 2001 curriculum ng CFA di ko alam sa ibang courses. 2001 curriculum differs from the 1979 curriculum dahil lang sa nadagdagan na units sa FA specifically sfa17 and sfa18.

But when the RGEP curriculum was approved in 2002 (which is university wide) some of my classmates shifted to that curriculum and they did not took up Span and exchanged the subject for other subjects on the Arts and Humanities domain.

On the other hand di ako nag shift doon so I still took up Span classes and old subjects like STS, Philo, SocSci's etc. (for short hindi ako tumakas and still took up GE subjects ng UP dating way back 1979. which i suppose is, hardcore?hehe) Some of my batchmates naman tinakasan yung mga subject na yon including Span by shifting to RGEP.

Pa ikot ikot na ako noh? Parang ikot jeep.

Pero...graduate na ako jan!!!! heheheh

Requirement sya talaga hindi sya elective or sa CFA batch 2001. Yung sa music, i am not certain bec we are not in talking terms anymore.

Nasa listahan sya ng 2001 curriculum ng CFA di ko alam sa ibang courses. 2001 curriculum differs from the 1979 curriculum dahil lang sa nadagdagan na units sa FA specifically sfa17 and sfa18.

But when the RGEP curriculum was approved in 2002 (which is university wide) some of my classmates shifted to that curriculum and they did not took up Span and exchanged the subject for other subjects on the Arts and Humanities domain.

On the other hand di ako nag shift doon so I still took up Span classes and old subjects like STS, Philo, SocSci's etc. (for short hindi ako tumakas and still took up GE subjects ng UP dating way back 1979. which i suppose is, hardcore?hehe) Some of my batchmates naman tinakasan yung mga subject na yon including Span by shifting to RGEP.

Pa ikot ikot na ako noh? Parang ikot jeep.

Pero...graduate na ako jan!!!! heheheh

Proud ka naman syempre, these days kaunti nalang nakakapag Spanish. :rolleyes:

Im an FA grad and I really wanted to learn Latin if i had the chance.

Latin! Yes!!!! 4 years in high school. Got good enough back then to hold real life converstions with my friends. By now, most of what I learned is gone........at least on the surface.

I hooked up with a few hs buddies not too long ago, and by the end of the day, little bits and pieces of latin crept into the conversation. Then a couple of years ago, I wento to Rome, and walked through the forum in the center of town. Big old blocks of marble, with words carved into them - and I could read most of 'em!!! Surprised the heck out of me, and the people next to me when I started reading the blocks out loud. They trailed me all around, asking me what the blocks said. Made for a really interesting day. Funny what hides in the back of your consciousness.

we were required to study spanish and latin in grade school all through to high school. when i was choosing which foreign language to take during college, as it was also required, i took spanish. got an easy A. :)

sayang, you should have chosen a different one, learning a foreign language these days is costly. sana you took French, the most romantic language :D

Latin! Yes!!!! 4 years in high school. Got good enough back then to hold real life converstions with my friends. By now, most of what I learned is gone........at least on the surface.

I hooked up with a few hs buddies not too long ago, and by the end of the day, little bits and pieces of latin crept into the conversation. Then a couple of years ago, I wento to Rome, and walked through the forum in the center of town. Big old blocks of marble, with words carved into them - and I could read most of 'em!!! Surprised the heck out of me, and the people next to me when I started reading the blocks out loud. They trailed me all around, asking me what the blocks said. Made for a really interesting day. Funny what hides in the back of your consciousness.

Isn't it amazing? buti na-remember mo pa, usually pag di kasi nagagamit yung language nakakalimutan.

inline with foreign language subjects... may alam ba kayo school (or any institution) na nago-offer ng french language classes?

to answer the topic:

i learned a bit of german during highschool... not sure kung bakit yun ang pinili nilang foreign language for our batch yung iba kasi puro spanish na.

nung college programming languages na nakuha ko. :D

Really? Buti pa sa schools nyo nagtuturo ng ganun, sa school namin wala, ang mahal pa ng tuition namin :cry:

Took up latin when I was in the seminary but I left after a few months so di natapos.

Took up Mandarin for a schoolyear and a half but switched to Japanese (ganda nung teacher- panalo!)

Switched to mandarin when she left :(

So took a lot of foreign language classes but never became fluent in any of them :(

Mandarin during grade school and high school. French and Spanish during college. My experience is that it is best if the language is used as often as possible otherwise most of it is lost over time. However, it is relatively easy to pick up the language once again when you're re-exposed to it (i.e., travelling or taking a refresher course).