Your Recent Clothes/Shoes/Accessories Purchase

guys need your help. where can I find boutiques selling banana rep, gap, RL, aeropastle, tommy hilfiger sa manila. kindly indicate the kung saang malls sila. tnx in advance. i used to shop at

grinhils kase for this clothes kaso unti unti na rin nauubos mga stores doon selling US products

I know there a shop that sells, Banana Rep, Gap & Old Navy on the 5th floor of Shangri-La Plaza. I think its near the elevator.

I know there a shop that sells, Banana Rep, Gap & Old Navy on the 5th floor of Shangri-La Plaza. I think its near the elevator.

Sorry, to get back on the topic, I think I'm a borderlin shopping addict (or maybe just in the denial stage). I do love to look for bargains whether in the malls, tiangges or even in Divisoria. Just an example, I bought 2 pairs of soccer shoes and I played only once this year. Hopefully I can play this month so I can use the other one. hehehe

dating shopping addict... quantity over quality kasi. lalo na sa mens apparel. ngayon masmapili na ako- fewer items pero higher quality, high value brands. at ayaw ko na tumingin sa tiangge at bargain bins- pagkatapos ng ilang taon na paggastos sa pananamit ma-relaize mo rin ang kasabihang "you get what you pay for."

• 2 weeks later...

shopping addict? I'm not, but my wife is. sayang walang rehab para dito. going around the mall for me is more tiring than any sport I have ever tried. Ever notice that most women's botiques have that chair or sofa where all the husband and boyfriends sit while waiting for their female companions? The person who came up with that idea should be given a medal and a statue in megamall. That person has contributed more to the comfort of the common man than any politician that we have.

Aww... you're so bad... :lol:

But I have to agree with you on that one... coz women are more meticulous with what they buy rather than men... besides... we tend to regret what we bought if we didn't really like it at all :P

But lucky for my hubby... I'm not a shopaholic coz I'm a wiser and more practical shopper now thanks to him :wub:

what does it take to be considered a shopping addict?

how is the addiction manifested?

From the term addict ...

The word addiction means a compulsive need for and use of a habit forming substance, characterized by tolerance and by well-defined physiological symptoms upon withdrawal; broadly : persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be harmful...

Taking it from there, one I guess, is a shopping addict when the shopping is out of control and does more harm than good to the person concerned... Compulsive shopper I think is a better term... its that weird feeling one gets when one just has to go out and buy something, anything.

Having read the book Confessions of a Shopaholic - her addiction was manifested in ways such as - sneaking out of work to go shopping, buying the same style of say shoes or a shirt in different colors, buying things she didnt need at all (eg sets and sets of luggage), hiding her purchases from her roommate, getting into deep debt because of her shopping habit, and still, persistently shopping inspite of that debt.

I think thats a bit on the extreme though. So far, I havent seen anyone posting here who is that way...

Or have I?

;)

From the term addict ...

The word addiction means a compulsive need for and use of a habit forming substance, characterized by tolerance and by well-defined physiological symptoms upon withdrawal; broadly : persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be harmful...

Taking it from there, one I guess, is a shopping addict when the shopping is out of control and does more harm than good to the person concerned... Compulsive shopper I think is a better term... its that weird feeling one gets when one just has to  go out and buy something, anything.

Having read the book Confessions of a Shopaholic - her addiction was manifested in ways such as - sneaking out of work to go shopping, buying the same style of say shoes or a shirt in different colors, buying things she didnt need at all (eg sets and sets of luggage), hiding her purchases from her roommate, getting into deep debt because of her shopping habit, and still, persistently shopping inspite of that debt.

I think thats a bit on the extreme though. So far, I havent seen anyone posting here who is that way...

Or have I?

;)

I dunno, my jury would still be out on that one. Note that, per your chosen dictionary definition, a 'habit forming substance' is a major requisite. Yeah, I know, I'm nitpicking beyond the boundaries of the discussion. But to address your follow-up:

Would it still be "addiction" if the person has the means to fully support such a "habit?" For example, (extreme, yes, but worthy of discussion) if one were a billionaire, would it still be an "addiction?"

As an aside, for perspective, if you had a billion US dollars, you'd have to spend USD$2315.00 (or PHP 122,685.00) PER HOUR EVERY HOUR FOR FIFTY YEARS in order to spend it all? And that's assuming you're not collecting any kind of interest or other form of return on the money...

That's a LOT of money to spend...

Extrapolate that to the not-inconsiderable number of people who are worth at least a billion dollars:

Click here for the Forbes' 2005 list of Billionaires.

It may be of interest, to some, to note that the PI hosts 3 (at least on record) Billionaires:

1. Henry Sy, age 80

World Billionaire Rank: 355 (out of 691)

Net Worth: USD$1.9 Billion

Source: SM Prime holdings

2. Lucio Tan, age 70

World Billionare Rank: 387 (out of 691)

Net Worth: USD$1.7 Billion

Source: diversified portfolio, including Asia Breweries

3. Jaime Zobel de Ayala, age 70

World Billionaire Rank: 437 (out of 691)

Net Worth: USD$1.5 Billion

Source: diversified, mostly inhereted, real estate

Don't you just love access to trivial information? :rolleyes:

I dunno, my jury would still be out on that one. Note that, per your chosen dictionary definition, a 'habit forming substance' is a major requisite. Yeah, I know, I'm nitpicking beyond the boundaries of the discussion. But to address your follow-up:

Would it still be "addiction" if the person has the means to fully support such a "habit?" For example, (extreme, yes, but worthy of discussion) if one were a billionaire, would it still be an "addiction?"

As an aside, for perspective, if you had a billion US dollars, you'd have to spend USD$2315.00 (or PHP 122,685.00) PER HOUR EVERY HOUR FOR FIFTY YEARS in order to spend it all? And that's assuming you're not collecting any kind of interest or other form of return on the money...

That's a LOT of money to spend...

Extrapolate that to the not-inconsiderable number of people who are worth at least a billion dollars:

Click here for the Forbes' 2005 list of Billionaires.

You are nitpicking but thats okay .... its all good. :D

For me - the habit forming substance would be the purchases one makes... the unecessary things one simply must have... forsaking all other things that are "necessities"... hence that "chosen definition.

Id still consider it an addiction even if one had the financial capacity to support such "habit" -- a shabu addict is an addict whether he is from the slums of Tondo or the posh villages in Makati. For me, its a shopping addiction if one is constantly shopping, when the need to shop is so great, when one's identity and self worth can only be validated by the items he or she has purchased.

Interesting point on the millionaires... now would you happen to have stats on the demographics (age, race, financial capacity etc etc) of the so-called compulsive shoppers? Wouldnt it be interesting to find out if they could afford their addiction or not?

You are nitpicking but thats okay .... its all good. :D

For me - the habit forming substance would be the purchases one makes... the unecessary things one simply must have... forsaking all other things that are "necessities"... hence that "chosen definition.

Id still consider it an addiction even if one had the financial capacity to support such "habit" -- a shabu addict is an addict whether he is from the slums of Tondo or the posh villages in Makati. For me, its a shopping addiction if one is constantly shopping, when the need to shop is so great, when one's identity and self worth can only be validated by the items he or she has purchased.

Interesting point on the millionaires... now would you happen to have stats on the demographics (age, race, financial capacity etc etc) of the so-called compulsive shoppers? Wouldnt it be interesting to find out if they could afford their addiction or not?

Unfortunately - and perhaps tellingly - it isn't a 'recognized' condition and is, as such, not very meaty on the demographic information side. I was just doing my (sellf-assigned) role of overall naysayer and rock-turner (while still making a valid point) :P

Here's some interesting reading on this 'compulsion' from WebMD though:

Click Here.

mine....well i don't think you can call it an addiction....but i do love clothes and shoes. compared to other men, i guess, i do shop more often than most, at least 1x a week. before it was 2-3x a week, but when i had a kid, i had to cut down on my personal expenses.

now it's more of quality shopping, instead of quantity for me, tho the clothes and shoes i have bought the past few years are more expensive, they last longer than the "cheaper" brands.

too think me and my wife have a seperate room built specifically for all our clothes and shoes, there comes a time, at least once a year, that i have to give away my old stuff to make room for the new ones.

Edited by mild seven
Guest Camerie

I consider myself a shopping addict. I shop till I drop. I see to it that libutin muna the entire mall before buying anything, depending if I really like the product or not... If I see something I really like and I won't be able to buy it, I'll get depressed for the whole day... I can resist buying clothes, accessories, shoes and bag even though I have lots already and people say that hindi na kasya stuff ko sa closet :D ...

• 4 weeks later...