bawasan ang mga legislative bodies...grabe, meron nang city/municipal council para sa mga city/municipal ordinances; meron pang provincial council, i suppose para sa mga provincial ordinances at merong pang house of reps sa congress. alisin na ang house of reps ang gawin na lang unicameral ang legislative body. very dismal naman ang records nitong dalawa eh. ang laki ng matitipid in terms of payroll sa congress at sa pork barrel.

isara muna ang lahat ng law schools for 15 yrs. this country has enough of lawyers!!!

gawing filipino ang medium of instruction sa mga eskwelahan para lumakas ang math at science abilities ng mga estudyante.

i would be against your first proposed law roadpizza. showbiz personalities are citizens too. I would modify the qualifications of the candidates instead. insist on having a public service track record. so wala na ala FPJ candidacy. :D

You're right. They ARE citizens. However, many have no right being in public office. Then again, many of our elected officials shouldn't be where they are now.

Does this mean you'd agree with the other 2 laws I proposed?

Edited by RoadPizza
A law to truly revive Laguna de Bay. That lake used to the bluest of blue, and now, it's brown.

post-23284-1110600592.jpg

Simply beautiful, noh? Sayang, eh.

Potweed, i commend your vigilance and love for Laguna Lake....considered one of the Living Lakes of the World. Sayang talaga pare itong lake na ito...kasi ang mindset ng karamihan ng mga taga metro manila, laguna at rizal e parang malaking septic tank na ito.

Once I brought a foreigner to see the lake and he wondered why houses have their backs to the lake when it should be fronting it following the fabulous lake side villas in Lake Tahoe..etc...the laguna lake is a very nice tourist attraction if only managed well. It is better than other asian lakes i visited.

Now going to the Laguna Lake Development Authority (LLDA), an agency which does few good things despite its powerful charter (Republic Act No. 4850), drastic measures should be done if only to prevent the lake from becoming "THE LAGUNA DESERT".

(1) Do you know that LLDA has no real good project that will enhance the potential of the lake. sometime ago, i read this "polder island" project being studied by the LLDA in cooperation with the Netherlands government. Reading its salient points made me realize that LLDA people are like high on dope or something....imagine putting up three "poulder islands" in the middle of the lake - extending from Sucat to Muntinlupa with a size of several city blocks each. First island daw is a garbage facility, Second daw is a residential commercial area, Third is a water reservoir. Horseshit!!!!! these LLDA people!!!! It is mindboggling if not outright queer. Imagine having a large scale reclamation activity at the lake to build the pouder islands (ironically reclamation at the lake is prohibited under the LLDA Charter), laguna waters will become murky as a chocolate drink!!! All the legitimate fishpen operators including the small fishermen will be wiped out economically (sucat alabang area being best area lake in terms of productivity). And putting a controlled dumpsite just across sucat area???? Ano ba yan??? Imagine the smell of stinking garbage being blown into Sucat and Bicutan area. And the so-called residential and commercial island being patterned after the dutch dike-protected reclaimed lands...who would be crazy enough to live 7 meters below lake level and rely on pumping systems developed by the Dutch but maintained by Filipinos..Omigosh....terrible no.?? My goodness my friend...u have to check how many million of dollars LLDA has already poured in this ridiculous project they are studying...how many bright boys-girls foreign consulants are hired on dollar salaries to advise it? how many LLDA executives have flown back and forth to Netherlands at the expense of LLDA funds. Sonamagan!!!!!

(2) The LLDA is tasked to monitor and regulate all industrial activity in most of Metromanila and six other provinces. Its power includes policing both water and air pollution. Now, this is one powerful mandate dont u think. Ay naku, mr. potweed....sometime in 2001, then DENR Sec. Alvarez wrestled away LLDA's air quality monitoring powers and transfered it to the Environment Management Bureau (EMB) of the DENR and the LLDA did not do anything about it. it was not long when erring industries began polluting manila's skies with impunity. If you doubt this my friend, come with me to Padi's Point Antipolo during night time and u will see that smoke from factories in Pasig already shroud the lights of nearby ortigas. Ay naku!!!

(3) LLDA is tasked with regulating water pollution in the Metro Manila. I ask you now, have it become effective? How come it is powerless to police the city's sewerage system which has never been compliant to effluent standards. They should have closed down the MWSS which actually takes care of effluent discharges but has never really fixed its sewerage channels. The city of Manila for one has sewerage night mare. LLDA should address this as domestic sewerage (those coming from residential areas) is the most pollutive, industrial effluent only a distant second.

(4) LLDA is collecting exhorbitant fees through user fees, clearances and discharge permits not to mention penalties for pollution...the latter renewable every year. However, wer the hell is it bringing all this money? If you are to review the financial statements of this agency (a self funding entity) will you be able to see any of its funds invested into water treatment systems? Your guess is as good as mine. Vigilant industries which are constrained to pay these yearly fees should ask the LLDA where their money is being used? If the LLDA cannot account...it should be answerable as a fund trustee (isnt it the spirit of the User Fee System?)

(5) Lastly, my friend, if you have the time to visit the lake shore municipalities of Rizal (Angono, Cardona, Taytay, Binangonan..etc) dont you notice the drastic increase of squatters living at the lake shore area itself? Now is this the kind of development LLDA is doing?

Mr. Potweed, i loved your opinions but what I suggest here will truly help our common concern for the marvelous living lake of Laguna:

(1) Overhaul LLDA's technical staff and review its contracts with good for nothing foreign consultants who feed it with wrongful concepts like the poulder island project. Strong willed people with concern for the environment should be appointed as General Manager of the agency. Right now, former NAIA GM Edgar manda is at the helm of the LLDA...I wish him luck for the big responsibility ahead of him.

(2) Strengthen LLDA's coordination with lakeside cities and municipalities so that common projects can be achieved. Example of this is the Sta. Rosa lakeshore development zone, the proposed Angono commercial zone, etc.

(3) Study the amendment of the LLDA law in so far as its ban on reclamation as this hinders development along the lakeshore. Lack of proper development therein ushers in squatters etc.

(4) Review the LLDA rules and regulations as to effluent management. Review present staffing of technical persons and weed out pseudo environment experts. Baka naman hindi lahat environmental engineers ang mga key personnel dyan at political appointees lang.

(5) No need to increase funding to the agency as LLDA collects around 20 million in fees yearly. Instead the LLDA should invest most of the funds it has collected as user fees and penalties to water treatment systems that should dot the lakeside areas. It should also cut down on non-techincal employees and useless foreign travel expenses of executives who just attending conferences etc.

(6) Amend Republic Act No. 4850 (LLDA Charter) and include within the jurisdiction of LLDA the cities of Paranaque, Las Pinas, Makati, Mandaluyong and San Juan.

(7) Strengthen monitoring capability by creating special task force which operates day and night to monitor both water effluent and air discharges of factories. Close down lakeside dumpsites like the one at Taytay and Angono.

(8) Re-acquire jurisdiction over air pollution monitoring from the EMB. Any elementary student knows that water and air are interrelated through the water cycle.

(9) Undertake a thorough management audit of LLDA divisions and in the process weeding out inutile personnel who allegedly spends much of their time jetsetting and lounging at hotels and restaurants.

(10) Lastly, incorporate in all educational and instructional materials at schools (elementary and high school) especially in lake shore towns the importance of lake management.

Thanks for lettting me express my piece!

Maybe this could not be a law, but it can be government policy:

Demand that whoever will be appointed in charge of key service/development agencies should have their family members, children (their closest, dear ones) be primary beneficiaries of their services.

Eg: the Education Secretary should have his/her children study in public schools

the Health Secretary should undergo annual check-ups at government hospitals

the Transportation Secretary should be required to take the bus to work daily

the guy who certifies that a building is safe (City Engineer?) should be required to live in the building with his children

the Social Welfare Secretary should be required to live with the squatters and street children

etc.

I noticed that a lot of the indifference of so-called civil servants is usually due to their lack of exposure to problems they were supposed to solve. If Mike Defensor was forced to live in Quezon with his family, would he have taken the same lenient attitude about illegal logging and deforestation? If President Arroyo (along with her family) has to take the bus to work, sans the wang-wang, without security aides and alalays, would she tolerate traffic jams, abusive traffic police and street crime?

Basic suggestion: let them go through the daily problems that an ordinary citizen faces (after all, these are the guys who pay for their salaries and perks), they would be more serious about doing their job to serve the people.

My few devalued centavos.

Pag below 1 M, life imprisonment...

1) Courts have 30 days to render judgement on a case.

2) The BJMP should have 1 day to carry out the execution of those convicted to death (after affirmation of the supreme court of course).

3) The method for carrying out the death sentence should not be lethal injection. it should be public beheading, (mas mura ito kesa mga mahal na chemicals na ginagamit ngayon)

4) Four convictions on any crime automatically sentences the criminal to death.

5) Government officials convicted on graft and corruption of PHP 1 Million should be sentenced to death.

tingnan ko lang kung di tumino ang mga pinoy.

Guest globetrotter

for me, its overhauling all existing laws that we have, put more "teeth" on them and implement them fully.

any acts of corruption done will be harshly penalized (fine + jail term).

part of every employees' witholding tax will be his savings and can later on be used for housing,medical,schooling and retirement (parang CPF ng Singapore).

or better yet, lets benchmark Singapore and learn from Lee Kuan Yew.although its a small country but it enjoys almost 90% approval rating from its population because officials are efficient and not corrupt.

although others say that living in Singapore is boring, thats the price of having one of the lowest crime rate in the world.the good 4x outweights the negative aspect.

for me, its overhauling all existing laws that we have, put more "teeth" on them and implement them fully.

any acts of corruption done will be harshly penalized (fine + jail term).

part of every employees' witholding tax will be his savings and can later on be used for housing,medical,schooling and retirement (parang CPF ng Singapore).

or better yet, lets benchmark Singapore and learn from Lee Kuan Yew.although its a small country but it enjoys almost 90% approval rating from its population because officials are efficient and not corrupt.

although others say that living in Singapore is boring, thats the price of having one of the lowest crime rate in the world.the good 4x outweights the negative aspect.

The escape at high security prisons are a clear sign of the first line of trouble... The president isn't prioritizing the police force... who let trapos get away with murder... Somehow, it's the judiciary system to blame because they are ineffective in delivering justice...

Basically, we need better judges... Let's take up law...

ok yang 2 kids rule. para may incentive mga new parents.

this of course will be blocked by the church. as always. :D

Mahirap yata ang two kids rule. If our national average is at two kids, it will be below the replenishment rate of 2.1, we'll be like Japan, Norway, Spain, Ireland, etc. that will have shrinking populations, ghost towns, unsustainable social security...

Also many women can't bear children or don't want to raise children...

China will be facing social security collapse in fifteen years if it does not change policy.

Two kids tax/social support incentive na lang?

eh overpopulation nga tayo diba? bakit 2.1?

kung mag improve economy, a lot of pinoys will live longer. may pangtapal pa rin sa tax/social support. IMHO!`

We're exporting so many nurses and caregivers because they themselves cannot support themselves. It's going to be progressively worse. The biggest issue in the states is the impending bankruptcy of social security in fifteen years. In Japan, they're starting to export their old to cheaper countries like Thailand, hindi lang home for the aged, retirement packages na because they can't take care of their own.

I don't want to be exported to an African country when it's my turn to get old.

We're exporting so many nurses and caregivers because they themselves cannot support themselves. It's going to be progressively worse. The biggest issue in the states is the impending bankruptcy of social security in fifteen years. In Japan, they're starting to export their old to cheaper countries like Thailand, hindi lang home for the aged, retirement packages na because they can't take care of their own.

I don't want to be exported to an African country when it's my turn to get old.

not necessarily...the japs call these "pension homes"...they don't see this as their "inability" to take care of their elders...this is business sense...they see that it's cheaper to build and maintain facilities in 3rd world countries than in japan, so that's the thing that they do...they get a lot more for a lot less...this is again, "japanese business sense" ar work...

and did you know that it's a lot cheaper for japs to go to and fro phils to play a round of golf than play 18 holes in japan??? u see now the disparity between the costs of living in japan and in a 3rd world??? that's a big motivation y japs are sending "away" their elders...

they've actually contemplated on putting one on the islands of romblon...they see it as a ideal place for retired couples...very scenic and near to boracay...in fact, the japs are willing to put up a small power plant to support the island...the only problem is that pinoy local officials started asking for payolas, w/c of course infuriated the japs...they then decided to abandon the idea.