Podweed,

Alam mo, estudyante pa lang ako sa UPLB (circa late 80s), yan na ang issue sa Laguna lake... ang dami ng prinopose na solusyon... all for naught... POLITICAL WILL... yan ang kulang sa gobyerno. You do not need to convince anyone here of the sanity behind the need to save the Laguna lake... pero wala talagang backbone ang ating mga leaders... sadly.

Podweed,

Alam mo, estudyante pa lang ako sa UPLB (circa late 80s), yan na ang issue sa Laguna lake... ang dami ng prinopose na solusyon... all for naught...  POLITICAL WILL... yan ang kulang sa gobyerno. You do not need to convince anyone here of the sanity behind the need to save the Laguna lake... pero wala talagang backbone ang ating mga leaders... sadly.

Okay. I was just thinking (or if my proposal isn't feasible, NOT thinking. Hehe.) Kung wala, eh di wala.

ala pa bang law authorizing a certain agency or branch of goverment to conduct that silly vehicle emission testing right on the garage/terminal mismo ng mga bus company mas effective di ba if the goverment is really serious in implementing it.... di pa nakakaabala sa traffic at sa mga pasahero... pag di pumasa eh di wag na palabasin pa ng terminal or garage.

Podweed - Siguro meron din solusyon... there is still hope... pero siguro hindi sa ngayon... not with all the other problems the country is facing today...

ghost - I think that is a good idea. ALthough I would consider this more a"policy" than a "law". Pero siempre, kailangan pa rin ang random roadside checks, hindi lang naman kasi mga bus ang guilty of smoke belching.

Edited by schizo
Do not get me wrong. I appreciate where you are coming from. And there is a big part of me who believe in all that. However, the above quote is where you and I differ. I do NOT believe that the STATE is DUTY BOUND to take care of anybody... poor or rich alike. The STATE is not your mother. The State is there to deliver what we are paying for in taxes and to arbitrate between individuals when their "rights" conflict with each other... nothing more. 

Yung sense of entitlement ang greatest reason kung bakit ang daming mahirap sa Pinas. Believe me, there is no reason to be poor... or to put it more accurately, to remain poor. At age 6, nagtulak ako ng kariton (dyaryo bote)....  I know what I am talking about.

The State is there to create an environment where jobs can be generated, it is not there to give you a job. At the risk of appearing cold and heartless, let me just say that the more you "baby" these people the less are their chances to improve their lot in life.

Schizo, thanks! I am glad you got out of the quagmire. Not many can say the same.

Let me just point out a couple of things. First, I am not talking about entitlement. The homeless have the right to demand that the government provide them with decent housing. It is a policy adopted by the State and enshrined in our Constitution. A sacred covenant between the government and its constituents. Second, I thought, the topic was housing? The Lina Law, remember? The government isn't required to provide the soon to be demolished squatters with jobs, but a relocation site.

Finally, please do not think that I want the poor to be coddled. I merely want to present the other side of this problem. The fact that these "squatters" are homeless. Maybe not all of them are legitimately homeless (if there is such a condition), but some are. This is a humanitarian issue too, and not simply one of progress or development. I think it must be dealt with in this light.

Edited by batibut

wow, nyc thread.

yes miss batibut, there are "legitimately homeless people"... just get to roam around manila and you'd see them... aetas displaced from their ancestral lands because of poverty, children begging for food on stairs leading to/from MRT stations, old women sleeping in front of office buildings after dark...

I PROPOSE....NA PATUNGAN NATIN NG MALAKING TAX ANG MGA NAGTITINDA NG MGA ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES(BEER,RHUM,WINE)PARA MA MINIMIZE ANG KANILANG PRODUKSYON..PARA RIN MAHINTO ANG IBAT IBANG KRIMEN NA SANHI NG PAGKALASING GAYA NG RAPE,SUNTOKAN,PAGWAWALA, AT IBA PA

MERON NA. It's called the SIN TAX. More than 100% na ang tax na nakapataw. And anyway,I have yet to see a real "scientific" study to prove the cause and effect of alcohol and crime, is there?

MORALIST wannabes, let us remember what was Jesus' first miracle? TURN WATER INTO WINE! Tapos sasabihin mo sa akin na masama ang alak? So, makasalan pala si Jesus?

1) Courts have 30 days to render judgement on a case.

2) The BJMP should have 1 day to carry out the execution of those convicted to death (after affirmation of the supreme court of course).

3) The method for carrying out the death sentence should not be lethal injection. it should be public beheading, (mas mura ito kesa mga mahal na chemicals na ginagamit ngayon)

4) Four convictions on any crime automatically sentences the criminal to death.

5) Government officials convicted on graft and corruption of PHP 1 Million should be sentenced to death.

tingnan ko lang kung di tumino ang mga pinoy.

Please do not look over the fact that I recognize "squatting" as an invasion and violation of legitimate property rights exercised by private individuals.  Hence, my proposal to merely amend the law to exclude privately owned property.

The law does not state that the people to be relocated should be able to stay in the relocation area rent-free.  The law only provides that before they are evicted and their homes demolished, the government first provide them another place to live.  Precisely to prevent them from living in the streets and under bridges and flyovers.   

The problem is massive, you need not point out that fact to me.  Yes, the homeless must also help themselves, alongside the assistance provided by the government.  I recognize that there are, as everywhere else, bad apples in the bushel.  There are professional squatters.  There are the lazy poor, who think that the world owes them a living.  I do not deny their existence.  In the same token, I want you to recognize, the existence of the legitimate poor, who because of the circumstances of their birth and the lack of available opportunity for betterment are kept in the quagmire of poverty no matter how hard they struggle to get out.  These are citizens for whom the State is duty bound to care.    Do you mean to tell me that because of the bad apples, you will take away the assistance the government is willing to provide them?  Let us not forget that what is in issue here is not simply a square meter of earth or concrete.  It is shelter, which serves not only as protection from the elements, but also as their homes. 

I know that the Lina Law of and by itself will not solve the problem of homelessness and squatting in our country.  But the law was enacted to protect those, who are unable to protect themselves.  For our country is one which believes that he who has less in life need not be less in law.  This is not merely compassion, this is equity.

got ur message...and i am touched...believe me, i am for the legit poor of this country...however, there are means to help the poor without a loophole as big as the one presented by the Lina Law.

the Lina law has been ineffective...it has been abused. that's a fact. and people whom it supposed to protect ended up disenfranchised all the more...

sometimes, u have to ignore the symptoms just so u can see the cause of this social disease...u have limited resources...it is imperative that you solve the root causes of the problem so that u stop this social cancer...that instead of wasting energy alleviating the minor itch, why not channel that to stop what's really causing that itch...

and lastly, there are better ways to treat the symptoms...u can offer scholarships to their kids rather than relocate them, offer foster parenthood options, train those who can be trained and let DOLE act as placement agency for these people...

a home is the least of all their concerns...if that's how they view it, so should we.

MERON NA. It's called the SIN TAX. More than 100% na ang tax na nakapataw. And anyway,I have yet to see a real "scientific" study to prove the cause and effect of alcohol and crime, is there?

MORALIST wannabes, let us remember what was Jesus' first miracle? TURN WATER INTO WINE! Tapos sasabihin mo sa akin na masama ang alak? So, makasalan pala si Jesus?

wow...ru for real??? alcohol and crime without a correlation??? cge pare, ganito gawin mo...makipag-inuman ka sa me san roque sa me agham tutal alam na alam mo yun...tapos pare, batukan mo yung isang tambay na kainuman mo...tingnan natin kung san ka pupulutin kinabukasan...

sino ba nagsabi na masama ang uminom??? masama ang SUMOBRA sa pag-inom...tanong mo sa kahit kaninong doktor at yan ang sasabihin sa yo...

...pare, ganyang-ganyan istilo nung diyablo na nanukso ke Kristo sa loob ng 40 araw bago ang Passover...pati yung gospel, i-mimisquote and misrepresent mo...tsk tsk tsk

I'm for any law that will downsize bureacracy, reduce government expenditure and ease the tax burden. The private sector should be enabled to once again take the lead and be given a freer hand in directing the economy. It is an established fact that it is economic growth is what will eventually alleviate poverty.

Higher taxes and more government means more corruption, less economic efficiency and more poor among us.

I'm for any law that will downsize bureacracy, reduce government expenditure and ease the tax burden. The private sector should be enabled to once again take the lead and be given a freer hand in directing the economy. It is an established fact that it is economic growth is what will eventually alleviate poverty.

Higher taxes and more government means more corruption, less economic efficiency and more poor among us.

wow...ru for real??? alcohol and crime without a correlation??? cge pare, ganito gawin mo...makipag-inuman ka sa me san roque sa me agham tutal alam na alam mo yun...tapos pare, batukan mo yung isang tambay na kainuman mo...tingnan natin kung san ka pupulutin kinabukasan...

Fallacious argument. Check out the same scenario, only take away the alcohol in the mix. Same result di ba?

ALOCOHOL=CRIME is true only if this statement is true, "anyone who drinks alcohol will commit a crime". Yun ang definite proof ng cause and effect.

I agree. Furthermore, I think it is high time the government divest all it's interests in private business. Conflict of interest yan e. You can not be the referee and be a player at the same time.

And also, the government should stop acting like it was our mother... stop legislating MORALITY.

Fallacious argument. Check out the same scenario, only take away the alcohol in the mix. Same result di ba?

ALOCOHOL=CRIME is true only if this statement is true, "anyone who drinks alcohol will commit a crime". Yun ang definite proof ng cause and effect.

one word: CORRELATION...

now is CORRELATION the same as EQUIVALENCE??? taga-pisay nga ba talaga??? did i say ALCOHOL = CRIME??? stupid fool...

well, i already knew back then when i was in HS that not all pisay students are intelligent...some are just a little above average...hahaha