• Please log in to reply
3510 replies to this topic

#3501 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12406 posts
  • Interests:music, travel lit, anything cerebral but i also get down and dirty.

Posted 27 May 2019 - 12:57 AM

What goes 'round, comes 'round, or is it what comes 'round, goes 'round?

Whatever.

Is it more like looking at revolving fairground mirrors, or just a bathroom mirror?

The reflections, you see.

The reflections you see. 

#3502 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12406 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 12:13 AM

Yeah that's sad.

They should stop calling it National BookStore.

They should call it National Schoo and Office Supplies Store.. For a long time now this so-called "bookstore" has been making a mockery of the word "bookstore."

Of course books won't sell as is but where do we start? That's why I love going to European cities because the independent bookstore scene there is so alive. People there still read. But it makes you wonder because the Big Bad Wolf sale here is always jumping. I'm amazed because folks here still read. Give them good books at a discount and they will come. Not like the few and pitiful books at National.

Booksale is always better than National and so is Fully Booked especially the one at Rockwell but I sense that FB, especially the one at High Street, is going on its last legs. Such a pity. FB has better selections and newer ones.

They should always have a sale hehe..

Give a sale, and they will come.

#3503 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12406 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 11:42 PM

The FB's in MOA and Gateway are quite inadequate. So tiny they should never have put up a branch there. Ditto with Megamall, Maison, and Greenhills although the one in GH was huge before. Power Plant for me is the best. Just big enough and always stocked well with new books.

I'd be attracted to someone who's not dumb.

#3504 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12406 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 12:02 AM

It's the 50th anniversary of Led Zeppelin (actually started Sept last year so we're still within celebration time).

1969 they came up with their first album and just about 8 years later I was in a Cubao moviehouse that does not smell like how a moviehouse should smell. You know, you get wisps of some medicinal plant wafting and floating in the air inside. Wonder how they got it in, but those were fun times, not like the PC times today where everybody's straitjacketed in fascistic governance. Anyhow despite all those olfactory distractions, we all enjoyed the concert film being shown - for most of us it was the highlight of the year, and it still is. The song remains the same.

Now on their 50th anniversay the band came out with this gimmick where you can create your own Led Zep playlist and maybe post it in their website and God knows where else. Jack White has done one. So with Royal Blood.

I fancy making one. Here it is:

You Shook Me

Dazed and Confused

Whole Lotta Love

What Is And What Should Never Be

Since I've Been Loving You

I CAn't Quit You, Baby

Communication Breakdown

Heartbreaker

Out On The Tiles

Thank You

The Song Remains The Same

```

Hmm methinks that playlist plays like some timeline of something late-lamented. But anyway, Rock And Roll!

Edited by bods1000, 29 May 2019 - 12:04 AM.

#3505 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12406 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 01:24 AM

Quite sad and shocked for this day. Two favorite writers gone up to that great Library in the sky. And quite young too. My unbelief has not waned to learn that Tony Horwitz is dead at 60 and Clinton Palanca at 45. Too many writings left unwritten.

Tony Horwitz is one of my favorite writers in the genre which convinced me to focus on reading more books - travel literature. Paul Theroux and Tim Cahill were my first discoveries. Their travel narratives influenced me to travel. I now believe that without having read those two blokes I would not have strived to earn more and be able to go to foreign lands. Having financial strength enabled me to experience first-hand what I read from them. Of course I did not go to the places they've been - I am not that intrepid, but still I pretended while walking in safe and comfortable cities that I was on a dashing and great adventure.

Theroux was cranky and cerebral. Cahill was slapdash and fun. Bill Bryson followed later, in quite the same mold as Cahill. Tony Horwitz was in-between those three. In One For The Road (1987), Horwitz hitchhiked across the vast emptiness of the Australian outback. In Baghdad Without Map (1991) he ventured into the Middle East, back when Saddam was still king and the Ayatollah was still fresh. Always with razor-sharp wit and insights, he writes of oblique experiences, always entertaining and nuanced. In Blue Latitudes, he retraced the route of Captain Cook's voyage in the Pacific. I haven't read his most famous book Confederates in The Attic but such is the power and prescience ot Tony Horwitz that the book somehow foretold events twenty years later as the book analyzed the seeming divisiveness simmering in the American South. Trump was the product of his observations.

Clinton Palanca did not just write about food and restaurants - he wrote about experiences. He was the best writer about food that I've read. Very educated, very fair and will not mince words and politeness if his dining experience does not deserve it. When he gives an opinion, you instinctively know that you should respect it. He has such a combination of authority, humility and gravitas. He has such a mastery of language it is unbelievable.

Sayang. There could have been more from Tony and Clinton. I thank them for enriching my life with their words. 

#3506 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12406 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 10:39 PM

So the jury's in.

It says you can drink up to 25 cups of coffee a day and it will be alright. Okay. 

That was the conclusion from the most recent study involving some 8000 people in Britain. No heart problems, no increase in the likelihood of strokes and heart attacks, no hardening of arteries. Drinking 25 is no worse than drinking 3 or none at all. But of course if you drink 25 cups then maybe something's wrong with you.

The operative word here is 'coffee'. Most likely brewed. It is not 3-in-1 or sugary coffees or creamy coffees. Drinking 25 cups of 3-in-1 in my opinion will not bring the same result. 3-in-1 is bastardized coffee.

So there. How many cups have you drank today? 

Quota na ba?

#3507 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12406 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 12:46 AM

The past is never dead. It's not even past.

WILLIAM FAULKNER

#3508 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12406 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:36 PM

The New England teams did well.

The Patriots won the NFL. 

The Boston Red Sox went wire to wire in baseball.

The Boston Bruins nearly made it 3 out of 4 - losing Game 7 of The Stanley Cup.

Sadly the Celtics didn't make it out of the East. Now in hindsight it's understandable, what with the Raptors and a certain Mr. Kawhi winning it all.

Two out of four ain't bad.

Can't win 'em all. 

Edited by bods1000, 20 June 2019 - 11:37 PM.

#3509 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12406 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 12:42 AM

If you listen to a song long enough, sometimes some snippet of lyrics leaps out and just grabs you and stays in your head no matter what. 

It could be that it has some resonance with something in your life, or maybe just the beauty of the construction of that particular lyric grips you. 

Most of the time it's not any of the above. It just wraps around you.

Maybe I'm starting a series about this.

First off is Tom Petty's "Refugee", with this snippet somewhere in the middle of the song:

" Somewhere, somehow, somebody, must have kicked you around some."

All those sibilants and how the late Tom Petty was able to insert that line amazes me everytime I listen to the song.

Maybe also it resonates somewhat. We've all been kicked around somehow, sometime, in our lifetime, and maybe the pain does not leave you. 

Did it?

Even if now you're the one doing the kicking around?

Life is queer.

Edited by bods1000, 03 July 2019 - 12:43 AM.

#3510 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12406 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 12:51 AM

The opening line of Elvis Costello's Red Shoes:

I used to be disgusted/ Now I'm just amused.

Says it all.....

But I forgot what I was disgusted about.

#3511 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12406 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:30 AM

I am inspired to write about Yesterday...

Just the premise, not the film itself, which has been thoroughly (undeservedly?) thrashed by David Sims of the Atlantic.

The movie is about a world which suffered a catastrophic galactic blink for 12 seconds, where everything stops, and then comes alive again...... Science fiction, yes, but here is where the delicious part comes in.

When the world comes to, all is the same for every people on earth, except....it is a world where nobody remembers the Beatles ever existed. it's just like now, with us here, except we do not know that there ever was a Beatles 40 or so years before.

So how is that? it's like we groove now to hiphop or Ed Sheeran or everybody else, but The Beatles we don't know. Led Zep yes, Woodstock, Joni Mitchell yes, etc. but Beatles? what's that? 

Except for one guy who suffered an unfortunate (fortunate?) accident in the time the galactic blink happens and he is the only person on earth who remembers The Beatles, and their songs, and who is hailed a genius when he begins playing Beatles song on his guitar, which of course everybody is hearing for the first time. 

Ok that's that.

But the game-changer, for me, in this movie, is their side-aside that John Lennon never died, was never murdered, and now lives by a remote English seaside, and whom our protagonist meets!

Now how is that for a movie storyline?

This movie I gotta see.

May a galactic time-blink happen and our movie distributors find amnesia from moneymaking superhero movies and goddamn show this movie here!

Edited by bods1000, 12 July 2019 - 12:34 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users