10 PIN BOWLING

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
176 replies to this topic

#1 romyg

romyg
  • (05) Regular
  • 888 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:25 AM

To all fellow keglers....there is thread for bowling already existing, but it is not specific for ten pin bowling and is under hobbies...i consider 10 pin bowling a sport, so it should be here in this LANE...with this thread, i am hoping we can exchange ideas about the game and maybe share tips on how to improve our game, or maybe how to shoot a 300. I am also hoping you will SPARE some time to answer, other fellow bowlers questions. So fellow bowlers, STRIKE on.

#2 Edgar Allan

Edgar Allan

Lone Bird

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • 1,154 posts
  • Interests:Simple pleasure in life....

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:31 PM

To all fellow keglers....there is thread for bowling already existing, but it is not specific for ten pin bowling and is under hobbies...i consider 10 pin bowling a sport, so it should be here in this LANE...with this thread, i am hoping we can exchange ideas about the game and maybe share tips on how to improve our game, or maybe how to shoot a 300. I am also hoping you will SPARE some time to answer, other fellow bowlers questions. So fellow bowlers, STRIKE on.

I am also into ten pin bowling too. Nice to know you initiated a thread like this. Hope to exchange pointers about the game.

#3 omnipresent

omnipresent
  • (07) Avid Member
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:44 AM

wanting to learn more about this sport, other than throwing a straight ball

#4 asmodeus

asmodeus

CHEEERS !!!

• Ambassador
  • 18,668 posts
  • Interests:pissing off sneaky sinful ones
    who change my profile info
    without my consent

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:48 AM

I have never made a perfect game ...... and in the "none-practicing" condition I'm in. That perfect game remains an elusive dream. :lol:

#5 asmodeus

asmodeus

CHEEERS !!!

• Ambassador
  • 18,668 posts
    without my consent

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:30 AM

there's actually nothing wrong if your natural bowling style is rolling a straight ball.

One of the more (if not the most) succesful pro-bowler in Walter Ray Williams cashes his check using an end-over-end release.

#6 SaintPeter5858

SaintPeter5858
  • (14) Tera Poster
  • 15,329 posts
  • Interests:= Strategic management and Investments
    = Sports, Philosophy, Religion and World Peace

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:49 AM

What about the ongoing tournament at SM North EDSA, isn't that a 10-PIN?

#7 asmodeus

asmodeus

CHEEERS !!!

• Ambassador
  • 18,668 posts
    without my consent

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:11 PM

yes thats Ten-Pin Bowling ........ unless SM has reverted to Duckpin. :lol:

#8 SaintPeter5858

SaintPeter5858
  • (14) Tera Poster
  • 15,329 posts
  • Interests:= Strategic management and Investments
    = Sports, Philosophy, Religion and World Peace

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:08 PM

yes thats Ten-Pin Bowling ........ unless SM has reverted to Duckpin. :lol:

Thanks for the quick reply Sir Mod Asmodeus.:) My GF's Achie is regularly joining the weekend tournament and even grabbed the 2nd or 3rd Topmost award last year. This year she's into it but no longer as a regular contestant because her sked is interrupted by her monthly trips to China. But Sachie, the 3nd sister, seems to be interested in joining the tournament coz she's there almost almost every Sat and Sun. I was there too the other Sunday for some bonding with the family. I'm not a consistent bowling player though.

#9 asmodeus

asmodeus

CHEEERS !!!

• Ambassador
  • 18,668 posts
    without my consent

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:24 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Sir Mod Asmodeus.:) My GF's Achie is regularly joining the weekend tournament and even grabbed the 2nd or 3rd Topmost award last year. This year she's into it but no longer as a regular contestant because her sked is interrupted by her monthly trips to China. But Sachie, the 3nd sister, seems to be interested in joining the tournament coz she's there almost almost every Sat and Sun. I was there too the other Sunday for some bonding with the family. I'm not a consistent bowling player though.

I haven't been bowling much in SM bowling centers (except during commercial sponsored league tournaments that I was invited to join)

#10 dfgvan

dfgvan

ako ay PILAY

• (11) Wyld
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:27 PM

dun sa araneta near PAZ 2-3 games then head back to hq??? game???

#11 romyg

romyg
  • (05) Regular
  • 888 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:02 AM

yes, that is 10-pin bowling, they are having at all sm bowling centers...mind you, the grand prize is a car...so practice on!

#12 asmodeus

asmodeus

CHEEERS !!!

• Ambassador
  • 18,668 posts
    without my consent

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:02 AM

you're talking about PLAYDIUM .... thats where I used to regularly bowl.

then after bowling ...... palamig or painit (whichever makes you happier) nga muna before calling it a night.

the bowling place had some nice food choices for pasalubong to my peborits.

#13 romyg

romyg
  • (05) Regular
  • 888 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:07 AM

sir asmo is right! there is nothing wrong in rolling a straight bowl....actually, if you know how to roll straight, that is an asset, especially for spares....to be a complete bowler...you need to know how to throw a straight ball, a curve ball, a hook bowl and if possible, a big hook ball....you wouldn/t believe it, but some hook bowlers do not know how to throw a straight...so there is really nothing wrong with your style...it is all about consistency...can you do it accurately and the same way everytime?

#14 romyg

romyg
  • (05) Regular
  • 888 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:12 AM

you're talking about PLAYDIUM .... thats where I used to regularly bowl.

then after bowling ...... palamig or painit (whichever makes you happier) nga muna before calling it a night.

the bowling place had some nice food choices for pasalubong to my peborits.

sir asmo,,,,kelan tayo magpra-practice ulit! after which, maybe we can head to your HQ

sir dfgvan...sali ako!

#15 real_renz

real_renz
  • (05) Regular
  • 415 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:23 AM

Mga Sirs

I-sked nyo lang kung saan at kailan and if my sked fits i will join you guys.

#16 asmodeus

asmodeus

CHEEERS !!!

• Ambassador
  • 18,668 posts
    without my consent

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:29 AM

sir asmo,,,,kelan tayo magpra-practice ulit! after which, maybe we can head to your HQ

sir dfgvan...sali ako!

itong coming wednesday pwede cguro ako mag practice sa Playdium (between 6:30pm to 8:00pm, just before the Lions League). Then some light dinner at the center before heading off for Homebase. (either number 1 or number 2).

Speaking of Playdium ..... is the oiling pattern different on different days ????

#17 asmodeus

asmodeus

CHEEERS !!!

• Ambassador
  • 18,668 posts
    without my consent

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:07 PM

ah you bowl also ???

cranker ?? tweener ?? or stroker ???

#18 kenshin23

kenshin23
  • (05) Regular
  • 290 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:24 PM

hopefully may mag-organize ng MTC bowling tournament kahit 1-day event lang at least twice a year ... chance to meet-up with members on a different venue para maiba naman ... and hopefully may mag-sponsor ng event from member spa's and MP's para masaya ang event :)

sir Bizman, organize ka naman kahit one-day event lang, I think it will be a good fund raiser ... and wholesome naman para maiba :)

Edited by kenshin23, 15 June 2012 - 01:25 PM.

#19 kenshin23

kenshin23
  • (05) Regular
  • 290 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:41 PM

sir asmo is right! there is nothing wrong in rolling a straight bowl....actually, if you know how to roll straight, that is an asset, especially for spares....to be a complete bowler...you need to know how to throw a straight ball, a curve ball, a hook bowl and if possible, a big hook ball....you wouldn/t believe it, but some hook bowlers do not know how to throw a straight...so there is really nothing wrong with your style...it is all about consistency...can you do it accurately and the same way everytime?

My dad and my uncles were good bowling players way back in the duck pin days, and I always tag along with them at a very young age ... at that time, straight shots are the norm, and I learned a lot of good fundamentals from them ... when I started to switch to 10-pin, I maintained the straight bowling shot and was right away having good scores averaging 150+ right away which was really a lot of fun because in duck pin it was quite difficult to maintain an average above 100 ... I always maintained a good average using house balls, and several times hit a score of more than 200 pin falls.

As I progress, I'm getting more amazed with those players having their own balls and playing with hook/curve bowling ... so I decided to purchase my own ball, that was more than ten years ago ... after 4 expensive balls playing hook/curve bowling, I still get good average overall, but I do not get consistency compared to when I was playing straight ball, sometimes I hit 190+ then score less than 100 on the next game ... and the sad thing is that I've never reached the 200-mark since playing with hook/curve shots with my own expensive bowling balls and gizmos for more than 10 years, highest I got was 198 ... when I was playing straight ball my highest score was 248, and was able to hit the 200-mark several times on bowling tournaments

so if you're good with straight ball, i would recommend you stay with it ... as for me, there's no getting back, but i'll keep on trying kahit 200-flat lang na achievement ok na

#20 asmodeus

asmodeus

CHEEERS !!!

• Ambassador
  • 18,668 posts
    without my consent

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:27 PM

when I started bowling ..... (using house balls) my shot was a SPINNER.

I took some tutorial under then PJB (Philippine Junior Bowler) Chair TOTI LOPA and he thought me some of the basics in achieving a decent hook ball. But given that I was playing at that time in Bowling Inn's dry lanes using a soft urethane.... I developed my own straight shot (end over end release) in order to conquer the lanes. That straight shot made me a very good spare shooter while giving me a decent number of strikes.

When the reactive balls started coming in, my strike percentage went higher because of the extra power these balls carry. (of course that was the time when not everybody were into the reactive bandwagon yet)

Then I transferred to greenlanes, then SM north, then playdium. Lanes were a bit fast that time so my end-over-end release sorta lost its edge because it was skidding to far out before rolling. I then slowly switched back to a hook-game and it has worked for me since. (averaged a couple of 200s during the lions league)

The introduction of the particle reactive might have helped my end over end release but I opted not to change my release at the moment.

Edited by asmodeus, 27 June 2012 - 10:01 AM.