Is Clubbing Morally Wrong ?

• 3 months later...

teka anong club ba ang tinutukoy dito? kung strip club o yung mga nakatago sa tawag na KTV bar pero may strippers pa rin at aquarium ay hindi nga maganda yun kung in a relationship ka na. pero pwede naman kung yung mga inuman o disco bar lang. hindi masamang mag unwind. ang masama ay tarantaduhin ang babaeng karelasyon mo.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
On 5/12/2012 at 6:11 PM, gentle_maniac said:

i have been thinking about this for sometime now, but here is my 2 cents...

There is NOTHING wrong with clubbing as long as u don't hurt anyone in the process. If you're married or involved, it can definitely hurt your partner. (sorry sa mga tinatamaan). Question is: why is it embarrassing for people to know that u go to clubs?

It's embarrassing because:

Hypocrisy. These people probably scold others for clubbing.

Social appearance and cultural norms. Some people want to present a certain image. This is connected to hypocrisy, but these people haven't bad-mouthed club goers.

Avoiding moralists being smug. Moralists, often religious zealots, are people that broadcast how morally superior they are to everyone, and that's their whole personality. They don't know what you do in da club will assume you have bad morals. They'll use you as a scape goat when they get in trouble with their spouse "e si ano nga, gabi-gabi sa club, ako umuuwi agad". et cetera.

Hurting your partner is a personal thing. They set a limit, you crossed it. Now you're in the dog house. That's how relationships are. Just talk to them to see if there's wiggle room. It's nice to let loose sometimes and just hang out.

On 5/14/2012 at 3:42 AM, scam said:

Where is it written that clubbing is is morally wrong? Mga asawa at pari lang ang nagsasabi nyan.

Bakit hindi nila sabihin, kasalanan ang magsimba?

On 5/14/2012 at 6:18 AM, huntpot said:

Clubbing is only frowned upon by people who think that the place is solely for getting excessively drunk or hook-ups.

I personally don't see anything wrong with it as long as you stick by your limits.

Oh and do I also need to mention the typical mentality displayed by religious people and sometimes the older generation by linking clubbing to indecency.

Yup. Religious zealots are no fun. It's why they don't go to clubs and assume they're dens for debauchery and sin. I'm just hanging with the boys, having a few drinks, moving with the music, and not thinking about work or whatever has been occupying my brain during the day.

Just nod at them then walk away. It will take too long to explain that you're not doing anything immoral, and they don't care about your explanation only that they feel morally superior.

They probably can't explain coherently your alleged "immorality" due to their blatant ignorance of what clubbing even is and what you do there. So there's little point in conversing with those types.

On 5/14/2012 at 8:18 AM, adriane888 said:

define moral.... it is a big question....

It's a concern for right and wrong based on socially agreed upon principles.

Ergo, it's a social construct.

Ergo, it's invented by the cultural moment.

Hitting your wife wasn't culturally wrong a few generations ago. They thought women served men and needed to fall in line behind the man's lead even if the man is a psycho because the men in power said so.

It's why I think morals are better measured by harm to others. If your partner is emotionally hurt-- not just annoyed, but emotionally hurt --by your clubbing, you might be morally wrong for continuing. But that's a very personal matter that takes a lot of communication. If you're a known cheater, you might be doing emotional harm. For the rest of us, break up with that person if her morals don't align and you're being badgered when you're not cheating.

But if her family is rich, stay and pay off people to make it sound like you're busy. Lol.

On 5/14/2012 at 7:41 PM, damian50 said:

clubs and morals do not go together.

morals are left at the doorsteps of clubs.

it will be hard to argue watching semi nude women while drinking alcohol as morally right.

ever wonder why priest dont go, cannot go to clubs?

the key is balance:

club on fridays

church on sundays

Yeah, people will tell you anecdotes of people clubbing and then cheating on their partners. But those are anecdotes of exceptions. Most pet just hang out.

It's not wholesome family fun, but it's not immoral. It's morally neutral.

On 5/14/2012 at 1:38 PM, chrispt21 said:

I'm not saying it's good, but it isn't sinful. ^_^

Yup. Sin is in your actions. If you're just hanging out drinking, nothing wrong with that. Your thoughts are your thoughts. You can't plice them. I can make you think of anything, like stealing your neighbor's car and selling it out of pettiness. You'd never do that, but now you've thought about it, and you're still not morally corrupted.

On 5/14/2012 at 9:15 PM, gentle_maniac said:

i think u can go to clubs and still have your morality intact, as long as u dont do "that". Priest wont go because they have to uphold a higher standard of morality, they are men like us, capable of succumbing to temptations. Plus society equates clubs to immorality.

Yup. Best way to not fall to temptation is to avoid it. But who's stronger? The man tested and resisted or the man never tested?

Societal expectations are why politicians are either no fun or have been swimming in sin behind the scenes.

On 5/15/2012 at 8:37 PM, JoshuaJacob said:

Morally Wrong depend on which perspective you are looking on.

Case-1 : Cannot fend for your family because you are wasting your money to a worthless GRO that are gold-diggers.

Case-2 : No more quality time with your family even more for your children.

Case-3 : You contracted STD because of the GRO and infected your wife.

On the 3-cases , I say its really morally wrong to go clubbing. :huh:

1 & 2 - child and family neglect. Morally wrong.

3 - morally wrong if intentional, otherwise morally irresponsible.

These are good examples or immorality, but these are actually rare and these people were morally corrupt before going to the club. Most club goers are there because the setting is different from their day to day.

I mean, imagine if we said cars are immoral after someone died of a car accident? Do you wanna ride a horse to work? (I would ride a horse to work for fun, but not for my daily commute.)

Morality is in the man not the thing.

On 5/15/2012 at 9:29 PM, gentle_maniac said:

I have heard of that, lustful thoughts being a sin, but it is one thing to do something about it and another to control it, same as the 7 deadly sins. Is anger, pride, envy and lust actually a sin? These are human emotions or reaction that are normal, it becames a sin if u act out of it. the Bible also mentioned great men who went to clubs or bars, Samson for instance.

Yeah, the Bible itself is full of examples of sin.

The seven deadly sins were coined by a preist or Cardinal. I forget his name and I don't care to look it up. Dante Alighieri later made a book about it, and the book is actually a rebuke of the Catholic establishment and his rivals and in the church.

The 7 deadly sins are a sermon tool for preists to educate the masses of what happens when you morally amd emotionally "let go" and a leads you to sin. These emotions aren't bad in the moment, like anger or envy, it's the subsequent actions that are. The seven deadly sins are emotions that have lead to sin in the eyes of the priest (or Cardinal or Bishop, I forget) that wrote them. They're a moral guide.

On 5/16/2012 at 8:34 AM, SaintPeter5858 said:

If the intention is plainly to use another person, then it's immoral

True. Very deep. To use another person is to treat them as below you and not give them the dignity of a human being.

On 5/18/2012 at 10:04 AM, SaintPeter5858 said:

Or if he spends too much energy for it.

That's a softer line to tread. Too much is discovered in context. But, true. Life balance is important.

On 5/18/2012 at 11:30 PM, SaintPeter5858 said:

If your intention is sex, it's wrong!

Hmmm. Sonewhat disagree. 50/50 on this. Sex itself isn't wrong. It's the context of the two adults that makes it wrong. If I meet a girl and we're feeling each other, sex might happen.

But, I do hate pick-up culture because it's guys treating women as sex objects and not people. On that note, it is wrong because you're disrespecting another person's humanity.

But it's a gray area because hook-up culture is morally neutral. As long as both adults are consenting and lucid, what's wrong with sex? (Answer: nothing because sex is not immoral. God wants sex: go forth and multiply.)