505 replies to this topic

#1 kchris2

kchris2

Cutie

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 03:14 AM

Which do you think is the best in the business?

#2 crazykalbo

crazykalbo

Libertine

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 03:21 AM

there was a time that nvidia was the ruler when it comes to video cards.. however ati went on a killing spree... went on top... and then ive heard that nvidia is now reclaiming the title... oh well.. i think ATI is still better :P just my opinion eventhough im using an NVIDIA video card. ahehehe! crazy planets!

#3 kchris2

kchris2

Cutie

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 03:31 AM

I've been using Nvidia eversince the GPU wars began. I beleive they have a solid driver set and a lot of tie-ups with game publishers (not quite sure if this is still applicable in the current scene). But I think my opinion isn't exactly what you would call fair because I havent tried Ati yet. :P

I guess I decided to stick with Nvidia because I never had any problems with it. Brand loyalty? heheheh :P

#4 milhouse83

milhouse83

currently suffering from excessive foot odor

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 04:44 AM

i've an nvidia card myself. but i think you couldn't go wrong with going either way. both companies are in fierce rivalry they just keep on topping each other, which is good for us consumers!

one thing good i can say about nvidia though is that they have excellent driver support. it's like every month that they release new drivers!

#5 crazykalbo

crazykalbo

Libertine

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 04:57 AM

i've an nvidia card myself. but i think you couldn't go wrong with going either way. both companies are in fierce rivalry they just keep on topping each other, which is good for us consumers!

one thing good i can say about nvidia though is that they have excellent driver support. it's like every month that they release new drivers!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thats one thing good about NVIDIA... always updating their video drivers.... :)

#6 rakista_royale

rakista_royale

No More Mr. Nice Guy, It's Payback Time!!

• (08) Fanatical Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2477 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 13 April 2006 - 07:26 PM

NVIDIA .... simple the best

#7 m@rky

m@rky

Lover

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1003 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 08:42 PM

NVIDIA for me...

#8 Phrozhen.Khold

Phrozhen.Khold

Photographer Kuno

• (11) Wyld
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6834 posts
  • Interests:Photography

Posted 14 April 2006 - 04:41 PM

So far I dont have any qualms with NVDIA and the mere fact that they are constantly sending updated drivers I got no other choice but to stick with em :P

I really hope that there will come a time when they will release an open source driver so I could play around with it :lol: :hypocritesmiley:

#9 Paulo_Go

Paulo_Go

Chaser

• (03) Newbie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Music, Movies, Books and Surfing<br /><br />A little about me, I'm a 6 foot One tall Chinese who's romantic and passionate about life. Im an IT Engineer.<br /><br />Woman in life: Unfortunately, I am a man with a past. Was married before, got annuled and I am now single.<br />Currently, I am afraid to goto serious relationship. But I am open to woman who likes discreet relationship. I am not your typical PlayBoy. I am a one man woman. But, I like to making friends with nice ladies.<br /><br />Sex: I believe that Sex is an art of communication. To please a woman or your partner is an art form.<br /><br />I am 100% male btw, and would never accept gay lover.<br />

Posted 16 April 2006 - 08:37 AM

ATI has a better cooling system

#10 kchris2

kchris2

Cutie

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 08:13 AM

Actually, cooling systems differ from vendor to vendor (i.e. diff brands like inno3d, leadtek, etc. can use the same cooling system for either their nvidia or ati based cards.) :mtc:

#11 JohnLee

JohnLee

I am Papa Turon!

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • Interests:Whiskies, cigarettes and women!

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:52 AM

I prefer ATI for a while now... better image quality imho. Gaming FPS difference is negligible at the same price range between the two imho.

#12 milhouse83

milhouse83

• (05) Regular
  • 915 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 12:35 PM

im thinking of getting an nvidia 6800 as my last AGP card before id eventually switch to pci-e. what's ATI's equivalent of the 6800?

#13 cheesekeso2004

cheesekeso2004

Hottie

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:58 AM

For me, both, since they have their pros and cons.

ATI is a good brand, however, their newer models are the only decent vc's out there (x1900xt and x1900xtx) which costs 30-50k locally, they're fast and wicked, plus, these video cards focuses w/ shaders, which in the long run, will prove to last longer since most eye-candy for gamers (HDR, AA etc etc) are shaders. Crossfire is also good, compared to the still buggy SLI of Nvidia. However, any lower than these models are completely waste of money.The reason is that their older/lower models focused w/ high clocks than pipelines. So for low-midrange users, stick to Nvidia.

Nvidia, on the other hand, is good for low to midrange users, 6600gt is the staple mid range card right now for the best price. While 7600gt is beginning to be the new next gen budget card. Both are priced beautifully and will probably overwhelm the market again. The reason why Nvidia is considered to be the best is because tons and tons of games takes advantage of nvidia (Half-life2, Doom3, Quake3 etc etc etc :D) with such great support, as well as the number of Nforce motherboards out there, Nvidia is a sure winner for the masses. My only problem here is the SLI, quite problematic though. And their high end card right now (7900gtx) was so-so compared to the x1900xtx of ATI, but if you plan to go high end, buy a 7900gt SLI instead a bit more expensive to the 7900gtx alone but the performance is way better. Oh yes, x1900xtx and x1900xt consumes too much power from your psu, and the gecube's x1900xtx is VERY noisy (tried it first hand) . 7900gt and gtx ran cooler and consumes less power (researched this over anandtech.com)

@millhouse
don't buy 6800. the price is not worth it, instead, buy a 7600gt (wait for a while) because their will be an AGP version of it, or, instead of 6800, get the 6800GS or GT instead, GS will be a bit cheaper but will outperform the 6800, the GT will definitely k*ll the 6800 :D But imo, wait for the newer 7 series to be released locally, because the price diff between the 6800 series and the new 7 series is not big, plus, the 6800 series eats more power, thus hotter. :D

#14 swit_pooshit

swit_pooshit

freakin Laker fan

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:50 AM

NVIDIA's earned my trust...I started using it from the start and haven't had any issues with it and driver downloads are always up to date.

#15 milhouse83

milhouse83

• (05) Regular
  • 915 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 12:37 PM

@millhouse
don't buy 6800. the price is not worth it, instead, buy a 7600gt (wait for a while) because their will be an AGP version of it, or, instead of 6800, get the 6800GS or GT instead, GS will be a bit cheaper but will outperform the 6800, the GT will definitely k*ll the 6800 :D But imo, wait for the newer 7 series to be released locally, because the price diff between the 6800 series and the new 7 series is not big, plus, the 6800 series eats more power, thus hotter. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hey thanks! :cool: it is the 6800GS i've had my eye on. just forgot to mention the GS part. i've looked at the 7800GS as well, the only real difference i've noticed between that and the 6800GS is the number of pipes, the 7800GS has 4 more.

if i'll get a 6800GS and unlock those 4 extra pipes, i will essentially have a 7800GS only i didn't spend $100 more on it! :thumbsupsmiley:

#16 TheRaven

TheRaven

Hottie

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:reading, music, chess, table tennis, darts, a little billiards, writing (short stories/novels/poems), stamp collection

Posted 18 May 2006 - 11:06 AM

nVidia forever...

#17 pistonring_man

pistonring_man

Experienced

• (03) Newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Scuba-diving, surfing, kayaking &amp; aquarium sight-seeing.

Posted 18 May 2006 - 11:17 AM

nvidia for me.

#18 syrcu

syrcu

I am Legend

• (03) Newbie
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 10:06 AM

Based on experience. NVDIA is much better.

#19 Dredd2099

Dredd2099

noob

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2488 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 03:16 AM

ati fanboy
i do have nvidia cards tho

#20 Nekromantik

Nekromantik

you cannot kill what is already dead.....

• (07) Avid Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10590 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:03 AM

ATI, enough said...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)