Mini Laptops

Actually there's a new contender up against the Asus Eee. Its name is Cloudbook and it boasts the same price range and size, but comes with a 30GB Hard Disk. It's also made by a Taiwanese company called Everex.

It is said to also sport a faster processor and uses Linux Ubuntu as the OS.

Actually there's a new contender up against the Asus Eee. Its name is Cloudbook and it boasts the same price range and size, but comes with a 30GB Hard Disk. It's also made by a Taiwanese company called Everex.

It is said to also sport a faster processor and uses Linux Ubuntu as the OS.

But you've got to agree that you can trust the brand Asus whereas the brand Everex doesn't inspire confidence.

But you've got to agree that you can trust the brand Asus whereas the brand Everex doesn't inspire confidence.

I can't say. Pero, from what I've been noticing these computer manufacturers basically outsource the same factories anyways. Or at least get parts from overlapping suppliers. We'll see, though...

Really?!?! blink.gif

Argh. Magpabili na lang kaya ako sa mga kilala ko sa Taiwan? tongue.gif

If you know someone from there, yeah. Ang laki ng difference from 12,750 sa 18,000, eh. And the 8GB version is widely available there din, I think.

really? linux-YM now works for the webcam? my gf is in dubai and I am convincing her to get a laptop para mastipid kaysa overseas call.. tutal libre wifi sa building na tinitirahan nya.

any info would be appreciated.. bagay na bagay kasi sa kanya ang asus eee na eto since for browsing and chat lang ang gamit nya, and syempre gusto ko rin makita siya via webcam

I think I should have made myself more clearer. Sorry, my mistake. It works with YM if you install windows and install windows YM. But for linux-YM, you have to download the linux driver for the webcam. Which I am not sure if there is a driver cause I just installed Windows XP instead. :)

Asus eeePC - Linux does support skype so tipid ka pa din sa overseas call. :)

Question:

Will there be space left in the hard drive, if installed with;

a. Windows Me

b. Windows 2000

c. Windows 2003

Asus Eee Laptop

Yes, there will be space left if you install windows ME and windows 2000 professional (not the server) and even for the Windows 2003. But, I would be concerned about the drivers for Windows ME. Drivers for windows 2000 and XP are usually the same and the Asus EEEPC comes with drivers for windows XP. But after you install the other applications (such as MS office, firefox, mail application, etc.) then there might be no more space left for the 4Gig version. There is already an 8 gig version but the price is too steep (29T) to make it attractive.

For me the best option would still be to retain the Linux, but if you really want windows then go for windows XP.

IMO.

One practical way of getting more storage space is by using a 4gb SD card which would effectively double your storage space for a much lesser cost than an 8gb Asus Eee unit.

Very true. You install the OS in the pre-installed 4GB SSHD and use an SD card to store your data. The SD card read/write access is a bit slower than the Solid State HD (based on my experience accessing pix in the SD card, although the pix are a bit large - taken from a 10megapix cam).

I tried copying the same file to the SSHD and accessed it from there and the loading was faster.

Guest Leviticus
can someone give complete specifications of this laptop? if it's just for surfing the net and chatting, i guess this is ok for me. i can't quite understand the linux OS and how can dowloading YM affects when u have this OS... pakilinaw :hypocritesmiley:

^^simple.. YM for linux does not have all the features in YM for windows; specifically the voice and webcam features. also, you can't install your usual windows programs in linux with the same ease.

however, linux OS have the feature of being straightforward. madali lang matuto once you get the hang of it; especially if it is just for browsing and chatting.

as for MIRC, there are addons to firefox to enable you to connect to IRC.

Sir ask ko lang how come yugn sa hipag ko na asus eee eh nag scrol yung desktop nya? hindi kasya yung desktop sa screen nya so pag click mo yugn icon sa upper left corner nawawala yung task bar sa baba in order para lumitaw move your cursor at the bottom then makikita mo nagmove din yung desktop nya until you can click the taskbar kaso yung upper left icon lagpas na din sa screen at di mo na makikita. I tried adjusting it sa display kaso yun na yung pinaka smallest display settings it can do. Is this natural or theres a prob with the windows xp setup?