The Football Thread

Labuyo

para sa mga naglalaro ng football... pede sa ateneo on weekends or sa sunken garden... kaso medyo masikip na sa sunken...

american football medyo mahirap... pede siguro flag football pero i must admit halos wala akong alam about it...

what do you say people? uubra kaya na maka-buo ng kahit informal football club from amongst MTC members? females are more than welcome to join

above is my post from way back when i started the thread...

hemingways,

this thread is for those who play or watch football :thumbsupsmiley:

Edited by Labuyo
Manchester United Rules......... ahem ahem manutd #7 reporting for duty here......  ;)

:glasses:

I'm really sorry to have to say this Bubuy... but Real Madrid is gonna beat Manchester United in the next Champions league match... :evil:

I wonder when that is though... hmmm.....

well actually in england its manu for me, in spain its realmadrid, in italy its juventus... check out uefa.com

nice to see na may mga taga-MTC na into football din... sana dumami pa...

Man U and Real... yeah

but Arsenal'a not to shabby either

yup... manutd is getting their hands full in catching up with arsenal... thierry henry -> one of the top three strikers in the world!!!

hey guys. nice to know that there there's people here who's into footbal (soccer). I'm with you guys!!!

I am into a lot of teams. ManU, RealM, Barca, Liv, Inter, Milan, Ars, Roma, Lazio, etc. But there's only one team that really excites me more... JUV!!

Peace to all

looks like it will be quite some time before any MTC-futbol activities crop up... there doesn't seem to be too many MTC'ers into football... for the meantime keep posting here to drum up interest...

go Real Madrid!!! pound ManU to shredsssssssss!!!

the EUROcup is coming soon isn't it?

• 3 weeks later...
may futsal daw na court sa may CRC...

pede na 5 a side... wala na lang keeper at walang bantay-pari

Yup, futsal at CRC every wednesday starting at around 7pm...kung makabuo kayo ng team, you can challenge the winner, but they play with keepers...although easy lang maghanap ng keeper cuz the keepers of other teams are willing naman to play for other teams....

MTC should have a futsal team sponsored by all of the "bars" that get reviewed here....

Speaking of sponsorship, has anybody actually gone to these bars and ask for sponsorship? I mean they are getting free publicity in this board with 8,000 members!

PM me if you guys are interested sa CRC futsal cuz sometimes walang tao din

since we're on the topic of football.... im wonderin... what were the spikes you used before and/or still using today?

i remember the first cleats i had was the puma fiesta... damn, that was a long time ago! i remember having a "murdered" reebok, then after that adidas all the way: rapier (turf), bogota (metal-6), predator1 predator2, and also an umbro somewhere in between :) i still use the rapier but d sole's quite pudpod na rin... bogota got wrecked since a couple of metal studs broke and the screws were left stuck in the holes... predator1 was quite comfortable for me, too bad it got stolen... :( never tried any nikes, except the first ronaldo zoom which my teamm8 loaned me... didn't like it though, couldn't run well even though the fit was good... <_<

Edited by jay_lanz

Hat trick lifts defending champs

Reuters

MANCHESTER, England -- A stunning hat trick from Ronaldo sealed Real Madrid's passage into the semifinals of the Champions League on Wednesday despite the reigning European champions losing a spectacular match 4-3 to Manchester United at Old Trafford.

In a throwback to the high-scoring European nights of the 1950s and 60s, Real went through 6-5 on aggregate with the Brazilian striker, the top scorer at last summer's World Cup, finding the target three times with his only three shots of the night.

Real will now play Juventus in the last four with the winners of that tie facing the winners of the AC Milan-Inter Milan derby semifinal in the European Cup Final at Old Trafford on May 18.

Ronaldo scored for the reigning European champions after 12, 50 and 59 minutes before United set up a storming two-goal finish with substitute David Beckham scoring twice to give the club a 4-3 victory on the night.

But it was not enough to keep alive United's hopes of lifting the title on its own ground.

"It was a marvellous night for football, but of course we are disappointed," said United manager Alex Ferguson.

"We made chances, some excellent chances, but did not take them and you have to do that against a team like Real. Good luck to them now, I hope they go on and win it."

England captain Beckham had been replaced in United's starting lineup by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as Ferguson gambled on extra firepower to try and overturn Real's two-goal first leg advantage.

Dutchman Ruud Van Nistelrooy almost provided the perfect start for United with a vicious angled drive in the third minute that was parried away by Iker Casillas.

However, the downside of United's all-out attacking policy was that the Spaniards could score themselves to nullify the away goal Van Nistelrooy grabbed in Madrid.

Those fears materialized with just 12 minutes gone as Ronaldo struck his first with deadly accuracy after moving clear of Rio Ferdinand and driving the ball between Fabien Barthez and the Frenchman's near-post.

United weathered a long period of Real domination and eventually equalized in the 43rd minute.

Ryan Giggs found Solskjaer in the penalty area with the Norwegian turning the ball past goalkeeper Casillas and Ivan Helguera for Van Nistelrooy to force home from close range to make it 1-1.

It was his 10th goal in seven games and his 12th in the Champions League this season, a record for the competition.

Ronaldo put Real 2-1 ahead five minutes after the break with a gaping goal at his mercy following a build-up involving Zinedine Zidane and his Brazilian teammate Roberto Carlos.

United made it 2-2 almost immediately when Helguera turned the ball into his own net in the 52nd minute before Ronaldo secured the overall victory with a stunning 25-meter strike that gave Barthez no chance with 31 minutes to play.

Beckham, who came on as a 63rd minute substitute for Juan Sebastian Veron, made it 3-3 with a brilliantly-executed free kick in the 71st minute. Beckham also forced the ball across the line for United's fourth after 84 minutes.

In a night of brilliant attacking soccer from both sides, both were able to step up a gear and put the other under pressure.

There were several key moments, but the vital turning point came after 50 minutes when Real grabbed the crucial second away goal.

Luis Figo hit the bar with a delicate chip over Barthez, and before United could clear their lines Roberto Carlos raced onto Zidane's defense-splitting pass and squared for Ronaldo to slot into an empty net.

Almost immediately, Helguera squared things up on the night with a comical own goal from Veron's low cross.

Casillas then maintained Madrid's two-goal aggregate lead with smart instinctive saves from Van Nistelrooy and Veron.

Ronaldo capped his magnificent solo display just before the hour mark with a stunning third goal from 25-yards before Beckham squared things up again with a trademark free kick, tapping in his second from close range six minutes from time.

But by then it was too little, too late and Real was through.