Anyone Into Martial Arts?

Irena

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried to learn kendo back in graduate school to k*ll time.

But even with helmet on, it would still give a lot of headache.

Basically martial arts is a good way to discipline body and mind. As for self defense? hmmmmmmm well........ I still go for classic wham bam in your face brawling.

If you wana learn how to fight, be in one! thats the best way. Kahit black belter ka pa, di ka din tatagal kung sanay sa away kalye kalaban mo.

But as far as considering as a sport?....... hell yeah

• 1 month later...
according to a communist friend of mine, the top 2 most useless martial arts are:

1. arnis - you can't bring 2 sticks everywhere

2. taekwondo - try doing that when you're assaulted :lol:

A common misconception about arnis is that you'll always need sticks/weapons to perform the art. The principle of arnis is that weapons are only extentions of your body which means you can still do it without the weapons. The movements can be translated to various conditions of weapon-based or empty-hand combat. Instructors treat arnis as an empty hand art and consider the stick as a training tool. Ang pagkakaiba ng arnis sa ibang martial arts eh tini-train muna ang students with weapons before empty-hand training.

Nakakalungkot lang na mas sikat ang taekwondo, karate, wushu etc dito sa Pilipinas kesa sa sarili nating martial art. Mas tinatangkilik pa ang arnis sa abroad kaysa dito sa atin. <_<

Sabi nila isa daw ang arnis sa pinaka-effective na martial arts in terms of self-defense at ginagamit ito sa combat training ng US Armed Forces.

Edited by skull_leader
according to a communist friend of mine, the top 2 most useless martial arts are:

ok first off

Arnis refers to the sticks

the martial art is Kali

2nd skull leader is correct, the moves in Kali are easily translated into empty hands, plus you can substitute normal everyday things such as ballpens/pencils, butter knives, belts, shirts, umbrellas, etc. for the sticks. it works just in just the same way. Some Kali practitioners play games where they try to find objects they can use as weapons when walking inside an ordinary room.

so basically, arnis is just like karate?

in the sense that you can use "empty hands" as well, but very different in theory, philosophy and application.

TKD is more of a sport now than a martial art and you can get killed if you start pulling off fancy TKD moves on the street.

• 2 weeks later...

i was a taekwondo enthusiast back in high school (I was even part of the taekwondo varsity team)

and honestly, most of the moves we have are a bit impractical (--yung self-defense 1,2,3, etc. but I guess that's just my pov)

wushu looks cute, styling and strategic, and even a simple fan could turn into a leathal weapon (well, ballpen nga pwede na rin leathal weapon eh, anything else for that matter :lol: ) --- [and eto ata yung technique nina jacky chan and jet li]

my friend told me about the street fighting thing she studied dati, but I just can't remember it

-- not sure if it's the same thing in UFC

but I'd say that the street fighting style is way better than taekwondo

2. taekwondo - try doing that when you're assaulted :lol:

i actually saw someone who used kali strikes in a kickboxing match (elbows and headbutts aren't allowed). he knocked his opponent down using forearm strikes that emulated arnis strikes.

i believe that it's the person using the art that makes it deadly. i know karate black belts and muay thai veterans who lose fights to newbies with a lot of heart and a lot of training. they were ineffective. all the techniques you know will never help you if you can't apply them. Bruce Lee emphasized physical conditioning in his philosophy of the martial arts. just look at that australian taekwondo guy featured in National Geographic's Fight Science. he had a punch that almost rivaled the undefeated boxing heavyweight's, a back kick that produced a force of well over 1500 pounds if i recall correctly, and a reaction time three times quicker than a normal human. now who would want to assault him?

Edited by Palakol

To some extent I agree with you that TKD is not as effective or as easy to apply as Muay Thai, Boxing, etc. I myself is a TKD practitioner for a long time. TKD is a more of a sport now kaya people think that TKD is not an effective self-defense. All i can say is that TKD or any martial art will be effective depending on how long u have been practicing it and you must know the strengths and weaknesses of your martial art. E.g TKD-you should maintain your kicking distance and rely on your speed to hit your opponent. I believe the 5 basic kicks of TKD will be lethal enough if used correctly.

i was a taekwondo enthusiast back in high school (I was even part of the taekwondo varsity team)

and honestly, most of the moves we have are a bit impractical (--yung self-defense 1,2,3, etc. but I guess that's just my pov)

wushu looks cute, styling and strategic, and even a simple fan could turn into a leathal weapon (well, ballpen nga pwede na rin leathal weapon eh, anything else for that matter :lol: ) --- [and eto ata yung technique nina jacky chan and jet li]

my friend told me about the street fighting thing she studied dati, but I just can't remember it

-- not sure if it's the same thing in UFC

but I'd say that the street fighting style is way better than taekwondo

knowledge of any kind of martial arts, self defense is ok. whether you can apply that knowledge in real life situations is dependent on the individual.

streetfighting, for me is ok coz i believe in real life confrontations, there are no rules. dapat mautak, magulang- its survival, man. di pwedeng poporma ka muna ng stance kung inuundayan ka na ng saksak. at sa pagiging mautak, know when to fight and when to give up your wallet. yung akala mo nakatutuok sa iyo, di mo alam na may backupS (with an S) pala bigla na lang may butas ang tagiliran mo. this happens very fast, matter of seconds, kaya presence of mind di pwede teka-teka.

Utak - mind is the best weapon. hindi lang lagi tapang o galing ....

Edited by tabouki
  • 1 month later...