Warning About Toyota Cars

just bought an altis nung feb. i hope i don't encounter the same problems as the thread starter did.

this would be my third corolla in the last 15 years. small body and big body yung first two ko. so far naman, wala naman akong na-encounter na problems na ganun. yung big body, naitakbo ko ng 256000 kms and not once did i have it overhauled.[

• 1 month later...

My mom's had the last four generations of Corolla. Apart from wearing the clutch down to the metal on our old AE101 when it hit seven years, and the inevitable sagging/softening of springs, there haven't been any problems with any of our Corollas.

I'm sure I'm not alone.

A few bad apples does not poison the whole basket, unfortunately. You have every right to be mad, but eroding the trust of people in "bullet-proof" Corollas in general isn't exactly correct either.

i think its toyota q ave.. bulok tlga dun.. i used to have my car serviced there.. not anymore.. toyota otis na ako.. also, complete ba maintenance ng altis mo? baka naman kulang kulang? i change oil every 5000kms.. bought mine 2004, right now, almost 50k na milage nya, and wala naman problems..

i was planning to buy pa naman a Vios. with all the feedback's here now im having second thought's

sir do not second thought about buying a vios. toyota is still a toyota. based sa story ng thread starter, q ave casa ang nagsabi na kailangan na i overhaul. yang casa na yan ng toyoyta ang pinaka walang kwenta. baka sila pa sumira ng engine mo para may kita sila ng malaki. maraming bad reviews sa casa na yan kaya i suggest sa ibang casa na kayo mag pa service or on any reputable car shops/talyer na lang.

With all due respect to the threadstarter but since i've read the same thing tsikot i guess its all about maintenance. I've had several Toyota vehicles since 1989 both brand new and 2nd hand vehicles, but not one ever gave me a headache.

Reason is I took time to educate myself and giving time to maintain the car day in and day out. Not a single day did I miss looking after my cars until now (except siguro kung may sakit ako which I don't have to use it anyway).

Check your oil, spark plugs, battery the works... its a routine.

Like my peers always say, if you don't know how to maintain your car and all you can do is drive, then you're no different than an average lady (no puns intended). Get my point?

Last but not least, I never take any of my cars sa Casa bakit? una, mahal... pangalawa, as one poster said, madami dyan OJT and lacks experience. Dun ako sa sigurado and kilala na lang kahit ma void pa warranty ko at least i know my cars are in good hands.

my take on this.. it is the service that is wanting and not the car. cars will always have problems and given the fact that the threadstarters car was already 5 years old and had 40k kms on it means that you can expect problems to arise from normal wear and tear. however one can expect to have a problem free ride after you've brought it to the casa to have it checked out. i think superfunk should sue.

toyota is a big company worldwide. and in the philippines specifically, toyota is no. 1 in sales year in and year out for the past decade by a mile. so i think it can afford to loosen up in its perceived responsibility to its customers when problems in its vehicles arise. after all, they will remain no. 1 in sales again at the end of the year anyway.

as a result, you may see it in their callous reaction to accepting responsibility to a problem like superfunks. and you see it in the pricing of their vehicles and service (sorry, can't get over paying 6k for an oil change- materials only w/o labor charges since my vehicle was still under warranty). will it change? i seriously doubt it given the general culture that pervades in our country with regards to customer satisfaction- non-existent. besides, you're going to buy their cars again anyway!

ang cause daw ay nagkakarga ako ng fuel na hindi unleaded (i.e. velocity,

blaze or vortex gold) i dunno how true, i never heard of such thing, and wala rin sinabi sakin ang ford makati (where i bought the car)

nung binili ko yan na hindi pwede kargahan ng hindi unleaded....

sir that's complete BS, all gasoline in the Philippines are mandated by law as unleaded. Velocity, Blaze, Gold V-Power are all unleaded gas albeit with hicgher octane rating.

makikigulo lang ako....

i don't work for toyota and i don't have any connection either....

i received a letter from toyota last december saying they are recalling all innova manufactured 2006

for a replacement of the rear axle shaft. it's free of charge. i have mine replaced last month.

they said that it was due to a design flaw which might cause the innova to be immobilized. imagine? wrecker

yan pag nagkataon. they were prudent enough to admit they made a mistake and replace it. magkano kaya ginastos nila?

anyway, i just thought na if ever totoong design flaw yang pump ng altis, hindi ba dapat ganito rin ginawa nila and replace

it free of charge?

now, para naman sa ford lynx ko, it was a 2000 model. around 2004, with a mileage of around 25k, naging sluggish at may jerking

pa ang takbo, dinala ko sa casa. ford quezon avenue to be accurate. sabi nila they need to change an electronic part which costs

15k. sabi nila, lahat daw ng lynx pinapalitan yun, sabi pa nila, ang cause daw ay nagkakarga ako ng fuel na hindi unleaded (i.e. velocity,

blaze or vortex gold) i dunno how true, i never heard of such thing, and wala rin sinabi sakin ang ford makati (where i bought the car)

nung binili ko yan na hindi pwede kargahan ng hindi unleaded....

in conclusion, i would rather go toyota, at least they admit their fault.

*sino jan may ford lynx at nagkaganito? time to create a new thread! haha

Had the exact same problem with my lynx 2005. Two months ago I bought it at the casa with the same complaint. Sabi nga nila may isang electronic part na kelangan palitan. This coincides with my PMS so when I received my bill around 30k ata ang kelangan kong bayaran kc daw for the part!! They even told me na baka daw accidentally nakapagkarga ako ng diesel kaya nagkaganun. Ha???!!! Cyempre nagreklamo ako talaga since they never informed me beforehand na may kelangan palitan. Then the service advisor txted me up after a couple of hours saying na nagkamali lang daw and they never replaced a part naman at around 10k lang pala ang kelangan kong bayaran. If I never complained ewan kung anong nangyari.

• 3 weeks later...
Just a little heads up for those who have or are planning to buy a Toyota car.

Our 1.6 Toyota Altis automatic was bought way back in 2002, I personally liked the huge body and style of the car. And because it was a Toyota I was expected it to live up to the Toyota standards of quality and longevity. Fast forward to the present... its 2007 and our cars has about 40,000 kilometers on it, which in my opinion isn't a lot.

But lo and behold, the car suddenly becomes sluggish and has black smoke coming out of the muffler. But when brought to Toyota Quezon Avenue for a check up is given a clean bill of health (change oil lang daw). 2 days later my driver reported that during his daily checklist routine he found that the car had no more oil in it! A fact confirmed by Toyota Quezon Avenue when I brought it to them that same day, and guess what else they told me. They said I needed to have my engine overhauled. OVERHAULED!!! When 2 days ago it was given a clean bill of health and when the car only has 40,000kms on it.

I opted to have my car fixed at a auto shop my friend (who used to work for toyota) recommended. In short I spent 40K or so on the car. Sucks aint it. But this isnt just a rant about my personal experience. Because I know of another person who had the same exact trouble on his car. He is a very good friend from high school who I met a few weeks ago during our group reunion. He casually mentioned his complaints about his toyota to which I asked for more details.

Turns out he bought his toyota on the same year as I did, but get this. His car only has 18,000kms on it. Same symptoms (sluggishness, black smoke) and exact same diagnosis from Toyota Quezon Avenue , complete overhaul; where my friend spent in excess of 100k.

To get to the bottom of this I went back to the head mechanic of the auto shop I brought my car to. He used to work for Toyota and he said the people at toyota did admit to him of certain design flaws in the engine. Specifically he said that the oil pump of the car is too small and this is the main cause of engine failure. Since the oil pump is too small it cannot circulate the oil throughout the engine and as any mechanic knows, this will definitely cause the engine to need a premature overhaul.

He also said this doesn't just apply to the Toyota Altis but to all cars in their stable that has 1.6 and lower engines (Altis, Vios and the new one which I forget what its called) . Only the 1.8L Altis is said to be free from this defect.

So a word of warning to all potential car buyers out there. Just remember a brand name is just that, and is never a guarantee of quality.

A simple explanation here is carelessness. Di mo dapat hinahayaan sa driver ang mga bagay na dapat ikaw ang gumawa. Maintenance check should be performed by the owner and not by the driver.

Ang alam lang nan mag maneho basta umaandar ang kotse tira lang yan. And most the drivers I know are heavy footed. :thumbsdownsmiley:

They revved up the engine so much before changing gears. This could cause severe wear and tear if the engine doesn't follow a regular oil change.

The dirty oil passes to the oil pump first before it is send to the oil filter.

This means maaring bumigay kaagad ang oilpump pag parating madumi ang langis.

The dirty oil contains microscopic metal fillings which makes lubrication in effective. Friction then builds up inside the engine. You would notice your engine running hotter than the usual and acceleration is sluggish.

Especially in cities traffic congestion puts more stress on the engine.