What I know of Adobo is that the standard ingredients are Vinegar, Peppercorn, and Garlic.  Without these ingredients, it cannot be called Adobo.  All other ingredients added will depend on what variant it is.  My own version of Adobo is to cook the meat ( if you're cooking chicken pork adobo, don't put the chicken until such time that the pork is almost cooked.  This will prevent overcooking the chicken) with just the 3 ingredients mentioned above.  Eventually, the water content of the vinegar will evaporate and dry up but the flavor will seep into the meat.  Oil from the meat will then be left as the sauce.  When the chicken and pork are already tender, add enough soy sauce to give your adobo some color.

not necessarily teepee, our visayan and mindanaon relatives calls sauteing with just garlic to meat as "adobo" already even without soysauce or vinegar. some adobos are cook with just vinegar only some with soysauce only. there are "tuyot" and there are "masabaw" types of adobo and those ingredients need not be present but nevertheless your adobo is the classic one and most popular among all. cheers dude, peace

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
bravo bravo! those are indeed very good recipes of are beloved Adobo! meron bang adobo ng batangas d2? yung saucy version ng adobo?

Here's what my mom does when she cooks adobo (batangas or the basic adobo):

Use same ingredients (though we add rosemary on the basic). after cooking, we put it in the ref and then re-cook a day after. Sometimes we have to add extra soysauce, vinegar and a little water kasi nasipsip na ng meat yung sauce. Mas masarap and adobo pag 2nd (or even 3rd) day na.

Here's what my mom does when she cooks adobo (batangas or the basic adobo):

Use same ingredients (though we add rosemary on the basic). after cooking, we put it in the ref and then re-cook a day after. Sometimes we have to add extra soysauce, vinegar and a little water kasi nasipsip na ng meat yung sauce. Mas masarap and adobo pag 2nd (or even 3rd) day na.

Adobo IS one of the ulams that tastes better recooked or reheated.

What I like to do with it too is fry it til its crispy and then fry my rice alongside it.

Impromptu Adobo Fried Rice.

With pattteeess and kamateeess on the side ... heaven on heart :wub:

• 8 months later...
masarap ung adobo ng kapatid ko....

after pakuluan ng toyo, suka at iba pa... ipiprito nya ung laman, tas ibabalik sa sabaw hangang maging sticky ung sabaw....

nagutom tuloy ako...

Halos ganito rin mag adobo asawa ko which for me is the best adobo in the world :D.

Usually, marinate muna ung meat sa Marca Pina Toyo, Datu Puti vinegar, garlic and pepper. Then after pakukuluan na niya hanggang lumambot, pagkalambot i fry na niya ung meat hanggang mag brown, then after ibalik nya ulit ung meat sa sauce, then pakulo ulit, add ng kaunting sugar, vetchin and laurel leaves, pakulo ulit then kainan na!

Usually, mas masarap kung pinaghahalo ung pork and chicken.

I'll share my ADOBO Recipe. Believe me. Nothing comes close to this flavor.

1.) Peel and slight crush (with a small glass end) 5-7 big cloves of Garlic

2.) Cut 1/4 kilo of Liempo and 1/2 kilo of chicken cuts

3.) Saute Garlic cloves in 3 tbsp of Peanut Oil (pwede din reg Olive Oil) or regular and add liempo and chicken until they brown and crisp a little.

4.) Add 7 table spoons of white cooking wine

5.) Add some Dark Soy Sauce (1/2 or less) you can use a silver swan and kikkoman combo and let stay until the meat absorbs and add 1/2 teaspoon of peppercorns

6.) Add 7 table spoons of Sesame Oil, let stay for 2 mins in high heat

7.) Simmer, add water until meat is cooked. Season with salt; 1/2 teaspoon of sugar (vetsin is optional.)

8.) You can add laurel leaves and additonal garlic cloves to heighten the flavor

9.) this should have only a moderate amount of sauce when done. Boiled eggs optional too.

this is actually cooked as three cup adobo (meaning soy suace, wine and sesame oil) good when cooked in claypot. no vinegar! awesome adobo flavor!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

am here in the mid east, and admittedly dont know how to cook... am always advised to start with the basics. like adobo... this morning, i was thinking of finding a site for good adobo recipes. lo and behold, andito pala hanap ko... i will try some to the recipes here sa sweldo. i suppose these would work well with chicken, since wala pork dito...

i will post my fr on what happened, if for some reason i dont, probably nalason ako sa luto ko. hehehe...

pugay!

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

dito pa lang sa last page, 3 na nagbanggit ng ketchup sa adobo... kakaiba ah, ngayon ko lang narinig yon.

ang gusto ko pa rin the traditional adobo ng nanay ko syempre!

palambutin ang baboy (liempo da best) sa suka, bawang, laurel, asin, pamintang buo, katiting na asukal (walang pang toyo!).

pag malambot na at konti na lang ang sabaw, mag gisa ng bawang, ilagay ang ang baboy (malakas dapat apoy) at lagyan ng toyo habang hinahalo ng konti. after a minute or so tapos na! tuyong adobo na napakasarap! pwede mo rin ilagay yung konting natirang sabaw na nagmamantika na pinagpakuluan kanina.

Edited by countrystyle