bonjing

i read it already. it was exactly what my wife underwent when she had recurrence of her breast ca in the operative site after about 6 years. she underwent another surgery and 6 rounds of taxotere and xeloda and radiotx and because she is triple negative, we decided to undergo the dendritic cell theraphy under dr samuel bernal. i was asking a lot of opinions from classmates and colleagues but they seem to have different opinions about the said treatment. maybe im just looking for more assurance that the said treatment would work as it was designed but i have learned that nobody can give you an assurance and peace of mind except prayers. thank you very much for your opinion angel...

uhhm....sorry to hear that.

here are my unsolicited thoughts:

1. taxotere and xeloda are good drugs, basically for 2nd line tx. another option is combining chemo with avastin. ask your oncologist about it.

2. yes, nobody can give you 100% assurance, moreso if we are talking about recurrences. im sorry if i come across as blunt. i have to be. i hope you understand.......in every patient that i have, i tell them that even if we use the targeted therapies, which are the most expensive ones, it would be impossible to guarantee cure.....partly because cure depends on a lot of factors, and partly because only God can guarantee you that....and that is way beyond what we oncologists can do.....

3. personally, i would still push for the dendritic cell tx, if your finances can support you. i wish i could elaborate on this but im not the proper person to do so.

my prayers for your wife. :hypocritesmiley:

Edited by angel_by_day
uhhm....sorry to hear that.

here are my unsolicited thoughts:

1. taxotere and xeloda are good drugs, basically for 2nd line tx. another option is combining chemo with avastin. ask your oncologist about it.

2. yes, nobody can give you 100% assurance, moreso if we are talking about recurrences. im sorry if i come across as blunt. i have to be. i hope you understand.......in every patient that i have, i tell them that even if we use the targeted therapies, which are the most expensive ones, it would be impossible to guarantee cure.....partly because cure depends on a lot of factors, and partly because only God can guarantee you that....and that is way beyond what we oncologists can do.....

3. personally, i would still push for the dendritic cell tx, if your finances can support you. i wish i could elaborate on this but im not the proper person to do so.

my prayers for your wife. :hypocritesmiley:

thank you very much mam

• 1 month later...
any info on cancer of the larynx.

laryngeal cancer can be divided based on the specific area involved:

supraglottis, glottis, or subglottis.

cancer of the larynx is primarily treated with surgery, as with other head and neck cancers.

it depends if the primary tumor is resectable or not.

if resectable, the surgeon will remove it, tapos depende sa extent (if its locally extensive or not), if adjuvant radiation therapy will be needed or not.

kung may natirang margins na positive after surgery, and the patient can tolerate further treatment, usually we combine chemotherapy with radiotherapy.

but in general, we reserve chemotherapy for metatastatic cases (pag may kalat na sa ibang body parts).

that's the shortest that i can give. depends on what you want to know.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

re: FUDA my Mom had her treatment since late last year for stage 4 breast ca, she had undergone cryoablation/chemo/dendritic cell tx. chemo drugs are introduce through the inguinal area. dosage varies from the std tx we are accustomed with. they use PET scan to monitor progression/regression. I would say that success of tx is basically hurdling dreaded survival statistics. so far were 6 months beyond that although latest pet scan showed new lesions. She will had 2 more sessions of chemo and a cryoablation procedure sked for the 2nd wk of june. hope and pray it goes well.

• 4 months later...

mom was operated on and tinanggal yung appendix at pagkababae.

kasi lagi siya nag blebleeding at masakit yung sa bandang tiyan.

pero im waiting for the result of the biopsy.

anong chance na stage 1 lang yung cancer cells na nag develop?

sana hinde malala para hinde kelangan i chemo ? :(

meron bang fruits na pwedeng makatulong para gumanda resulta?

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I was diagnosed with a stage 4 colon cancer last 2005. Went to series of chemotherapy , radiation(pre sacral), Rfa ( liver) completed all of this early 2006. After that no more mets since then. I have been taking fluorouracil 1400 mg(5FU) injection in my IV line ( similar to porthacatheter) since 2005. Due to finances, I'm planning to have this stop. Do you think I am cancer free now? Having ct scan every six months and everything's doing right. Thank you!!

Dra., I cannot use my CEA level since before my 1st chemotherapy , my CEA levels are normal. During my first to second year, I've been to PET CT scan, now I use ct scan of the throat and whole abdomen. My IV line was change last year and I know it's hard to have a foreign object inside my body. Thank you Dra., now I believe that cancer is no longer a death sentence

That's true, doc. Since the start of my treatment I said to my self, kaya ko Ito. I don't want to be a cancer survivor but I want to be a cancer conqueror.although there's an up and down during my treatment, I take each day my extension day, a sort of bonus. Now, I received much more. There are many chemotherapy medicine right now and still they do research for much better drugs.

• 5 months later...

no. we stage a tumor as 4 when it has spread to other sites, from the primary site.

but jaundice is not a good sign either. Because it means obstruction, in most cases. Even if the tumor is limited to the bile duct, if it is big or extensive enough, it may cause obstructive jaundice.

Diagnosis is by ERCP or MRCP. Depending on the location, the jaundice can be solved by inserting stents, to create an alternative route for bile to flow through.

Thank you Doctor.

Re: jaundice in cholangiocarcinoma

Can we assume that jaundice is stage 3 if there are no signs of bloating abdomen?

Re: insertion of stents

I noticed that while the jaundice would disappear, the condition of people with cholangiocarcinoma who undergo insertion of stents tend to go downhill, ie they starts getting thinner, they are too weak to walk alone unassisted, they become malnourshed. How come?

stage is based on biopsy and imaging studies. Not on jaundice or any other symptom. Staging is composed of T - N - M. That's tumor size, nodes and metastasis.

CholangioCAs have poor prognosis. Insertion of stent is merely palliative (just to relieve symptoms like jaundice) , but prognosis will always be bad.

Thank you for the clarification. At least the insertion of stent would make the victim look good in the coffin.

It is sickening if you come to think of the kinds people afflicted with cholangiocarcinoma. These are people who don't do drugs, drink, smoke, & don't have multiple sex partners, some even do regular exercise.

• 1 month later...

good day!

i would like to ask if there's an alternative medicine for chemotheraphy.

my cousin was had a cancer of the laryns fe years ago and he stop medications according to him hes ok na daw.

sabi nya kasi before di nya kaya chemotheraphy and according to him he wants a medications na injectable na medyo mura or oral medications for his maintenance.

Hi miss angelbyday..

currently my family are in shocked when we found out my dad has stage 3 hepatocellular carcinoma primary liver cancer.. sobrang shocked kami lht my dad dont smoke almost doesnt drink.. siguro once every 3months lng.. He was gonna go for a gall bladder check up pero accidentally nadiscover that may multiple tumors sa liver niya.. one tumor is already 10cm.. We already asked several expert opinions.. Nahihirapan ako mgtanong ng direcho sa mga doctor.. I also have a hard time talking to my dad.. Pag kausap ko sya im showing him na dont worry magagamot yan maayos yan prang lagnat na lang ngayon yan.. Its hard for me coz deep inside no matter how big my smile is when im talking to him im already deteriorating inside..

Now were giving him alternative medicines.. like guyabano leaves extract, pure baley etc etc everything that i could search in the net.. i cant afford to breakdown.. ako lang ang may ability to do research sa net for any info that might help unproven or proven.. Nag research na dn ako about hospitals in china with breaktru medicines and therapies for this kind of illness..

As of now.. naka schedule ang dad ko for admition sa UST hospital sa monday.. May ilalagay daw na implant sa dibdib niya para dun isasaksak un mga gamot chemo etc etc.. is it more practical ba than un sa usual na sa kamay na dextrose?

Maam i need you expert advise on this.. im really collecting info that might help us to get tru to all of this.. What should we do? cause as of now surgery is not an option pa daw.. My dad never experience any pain not on any part of his body.. except un sakit na dulot nun biopsy niya..

Edited by dbzar2

thanks maam angel.. i really appreciate you saying things direct to the point coz i really want to know what to expect i keep my hopes up but i also want to know the reality behind the chances in beating this disease.. the doctor who is seeing my dad is mr. karl morales.. he was reffered to us a a family friend of ours a neuro from asian hospital in alabang..

as of now the yellowness in his eyes were gone and it seems his gaining weight.. were not giving him any pork beef fatty and oily foods hes on a strict organic diet.. i read in the net that is a way to starve the cancer cells which might help in prenveting it from growing or spreading..

he also has a history of high blood sugars would it affect in any way with his cancer?

if the cancer continue to grow would it prevent the liver from functioning? or is it the cancer perse that kills?

karl is a surgical oncologist. in short, a surgeon.

i suggest you get the opinion of a MEDICAL ONCOLOGIST or a HEPATOLOGIST. They are not the same ha. A hepatologist is a gastroenterologist specializing in diseases of the liver. A medical oncologist is , well, an oncologist. We are the ones who give chemo.

Anyway, organic diet is ok. But it will not prevent the cancer from growing or spreading. Only treatment can. As to what treatment, it will depend on the extent (stage) of the tumor.

Just control the blood sugar well. You wouldnt want additional problems.

Yes if the cancer continues to grow (and as we speak, the cancer cells continue to multiply), it will end up compromising liver function, leading to liver failure. Once the liver fails, it would be irreversible.

good day maam... sorry for the late reply.. doc karl referred us to doc eugene regala he advised us to choose between oral ( NEVAXAR i think) same as sorafenib which cost 300k per month.. my dad tested negative for hapatitis profile.. 300k per month is something we are worried.. how effective is it from the usual chemo? we are having dilemma over what we should choose... we got around 2 hours to decide so that the med could be ordered right away..

thanks maam for the info and the help it is much much appreciated..

goodpm maam angel i thank u so much for your advise information and inputs it really helped us clear our heads.. as of now we have chosen the oral medication.. they say that we will be given 1month supply of nexavar for free if we buy 1 months worth by wellness care foundation i think its the name of the foundation.. so basically it would be 300k for 2months does it really cost that much?

and maam i was wrong about my first post the tumor was 4.9mm x 5.5mm rather than 10mm..

i am deeply grateful maam for taking time to reply to the question im asking to you.. sobrang salamat po mula sakin at sa pamilya ko po maam..

• 9 months later...