Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

hmm... wow.. san ka lalaro? kelan ka pa training?

heard of topher r....... of bak..... & tsaka si miles v......... of pas.....?

I dont compete....laos na compared to the younger guys. Stopped training years ago, though i still spar once in a while to update knowledge and see if i can still beat up people. hahaha j/k lang.

Topher Ricketts of Bakbakan you mean.

Miles? Ah active pa pala sya? wala rin syang kadala dala ah. hehehehe

Pinasabog dati auto nun sa harap ng mars eh hehehe loko kasi. nasaksak pa.

it depends on the martial art but if you want to be good in streetfight, try joining jeet kune do by bruce lee and also krav maga(martial arts of israeli military). go to www.kravmaga.com

Dragonclaw,

While indeed JKD is a great martial art developed by the legend himself Bruce Lee, sad to say there is NO true practioner here in the Philippines. There was one who claim to be a practioner dyan sa may vito cruz, Joey (I forgot his last name but it starts with P...di ko ma recall exactly sa tagal na).

As for Krav Maga, isa pa yang wala dito sa atin sa Pinas pero putsa duguaan ka rin dyan. Nothing fancy there. Take your opponent down quickly with any means possible inflicting the most amount of pain. Whew.

Dragonclaw,

While indeed JKD is a great martial art developed by the legend himself Bruce Lee, sad to say there is NO true practioner here in the Philippines. There was one who claim to be a practioner dyan sa may vito cruz, Joey (I forgot his last name but it starts with P...di ko ma recall exactly sa tagal na).

As for Krav Maga, isa pa yang wala dito sa atin sa Pinas pero putsa duguaan ka rin dyan. Nothing fancy there. Take your opponent down quickly with any means possible inflicting the most amount of pain. Whew.

yup agree

lets talk about authentic clubs and certified instructors here in ph

and inform everyone willing to spend time n money for training

para di naman masayang pera nila sa kasusubok at di mapasubo sa peke!

marami dyan natuto lang kay master ganito/ganoon nang konti minsan

nag-advance lang nang konti ang rank ay nagsasarili na at nagiging

master kuno(sya ang nag rank sa sarili nya)

at kinalimutan na ang kanyang pinanggalingan.

may gumagawa nang sariling m. art...

eg. SISHIKU by Master Juan Sayonatsi(suntok sipa kurot - the deadliest form of m. a. haneep!) hehe

may alam ba kayong mga ganyan?

ibisto natin sila para sa kaalaman nang mtc members at dina pamarisan

eg. SISHIKU by Master Juan Sayonatsi(suntok sipa kurot - the deadliest form of m. a. haneep!) hehe

:lol: :lol: :lol:

totoo ba ito pre? :unsure:

marami naman lalaki gumagamit ng kanilang arnis ahhh...

minsan nga lang ehhh sa gabi lang ginagamit o kapag nag-iinit sila

:D

hahaha :lol:

oo nga innate na yung arnis sa atin, we were born with the skill, pa minsan nga no-hands ko pang gamitin ang "arnis" ko eh :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

totoo ba ito pre? :unsure:

sampol lang yan pre

pero marami dyan(i know some pero mahirap nang magbanggit nang pangalan)

try observing on local tournaments

u'l find some club's acronyms and ask for d meaning and u'l end up laughing out loud!

yup agree

I am really interested in taking up martial arts. Am actually planning to enrol/sign-up for classes in March. More for purposes of protecting myself so siguro yung focused on street fighting. Never really dabbled on this art so first time and I'm totally clueless and definitely hindi fit physically. I'm sort of hoping taking up lessons will also help me keep fit.

Can anyone give their suggestion as well as contact information?

Martial Arts Name (hwag naman acronym):

Brief Description:

Contact Person:

Phone Number:

Address:

Cost per session:

I'd really appreciate all the help I can get.

Thank you all in advance! :wub:

14 years ago I started taking up t** Kwon Do and just thought it could be a good excercise. I began liking it as a way of life and not just a sport. For one thing, I gained lots of things out of it considering I gained friends, learned many techniques, great health and I could do 8 rounds of sex on a short time. But now, after quitting for almost 5 years my rounds of sex had tremendously dropped to 2. It just makes me want to go back to it again!

oo nga... its important to be physically fit both in and out of bed. i've taken up taek and karate for a couple of years and it also helped to increase stamina. (and be somewhat flexible) pero don't other non-martial arts sports din? what about yoga? (hmmm... now it would be great if your girlfriend was a yogist. and a contortionist! hehe. you could even invent a new position and call it the pretzel.--> æ )

p.s. does anyone know where i can learn where i can learn to use a pair of nunchuks properly?

yup agree

I am really interested in taking up martial arts. Am actually planning to enrol/sign-up for classes in March. More for purposes of protecting myself so siguro yung focused on street fighting. Never really dabbled on this art so first time and I'm totally clueless and definitely hindi fit physically. I'm sort of hoping taking up lessons will also help me keep fit.

Brief Description:

Contact Person:

Phone Number:

Address:

Cost per session:

almost all first timers are taking m.a. for self-defense purpose

some are hesitant for being unfit its either they'r a little bit heavier or skinny

but dont worry 4 dat friend, m.a. will teach u 2 gain confidence

i myself is a lil bit skinny but i was able 2 compete wid others heavier

than me.

keep in mind dat m.a. teach u character and not 2 be a "warfreak individual"

here are some tips i can give:

aikido-defensive,more on hand-locks and throws

-go 4 traditional aikido clubs medyo matagal ang phasing ng

turo they will keep doing the same technique 4 a long time

unlike those modified aikido dat can teach u 10 techniques in 1 session

but u will soon realize dat its worthed(traditional)

-members any traditional aikido u can recomend?

judo-more on throws

-again dont go 4 local wannabe "masters"

i saw some clubs dat harrash their girls, 1st session plang pinagtulong

tulongan ng tsansingan "pano kung ganito? parang re-reypin ka?"

siyet sarap nilang bugbugin!

-there r some clubs dat will not give u any promotion until u win

from a tournament, ganun ba tlaga? any judoka willing 2 comment on dis?

-anyway they're gud also in self-defense as long as ur in a right club.

MEMBERS TULONG NAMAN (naubusan nako!)

i'll let some members give u more details on this and how 2 detect fakes

jujuitsu-street fight i think

taekwondo-kicking

karatedo-empty-hand techniques

kendo-sword(samurai) fighting but can be applied to hand and stick in case

iaido-drawing of sword

sambo-russian m.a. like a greco-roman wrestling

arnis-stick fighting (the real application is using "itak" or bolo but can be applied on empty hand)

-masters from cebu are good

-i saw one of many desendants of arnis named "laponte" and its great!

penjak silat-indonesian m.a.

kickboxing-(thailand)gud also in street fight

-there r many clubs out there like yaw-yan and muay-thai(some r real thai some r not)

-there's an american kickboxing also but i suggest u go 4 thais

cheers!

Edited by binarywarrior
14 years ago I started taking up t** Kwon Do and just thought it could be a good excercise. I began liking it as a way of life and not just a sport. For one thing, I gained lots of things out of it considering I gained friends, learned many techniques, great health and I could do 8 rounds of sex on a short time. But now, after quitting for almost 5 years my rounds of sex had tremendously dropped to 2. It just makes me want to go back to it again!

exercise helps for stamina

when ur getting old nababawasan talaga performance

weder u train or not :lol:

I continue to be amazed by how everything nowadays cost money.

Back in my days, I join my Chinese Wu-Shu club by the traditional Pai Si Fu. It is a ceremony that I get myself a Si Fu (SenSei in Japanese Martial Arts) And this Si Fu teach me the art and acts as my guardian.

The Cost of Pai Si Fu?

A patatim and a bowl of Misua. :)

My Si Fu teach me a lot of things, not just the art itself but including the philosophy and ethic behind the art.

He die some years ago and I still burn incense at his grave when I have time, Once my Si Fu, Forever my Si Fu.

For the sake of MTC guys who are unfamiliar the the Chinese dialect. Si Fu is the equivalent of Chinese word for Master.

i used to play Judo sa UST got accepted sa team B (replacements ba) ... may alam ba kayo na nagtuturo nang Kendo ?

i think the kendo group here in the phils. practice somewhere in the shaw blvd. area. (RFM gym ata) not sure but i'll ask around and update you on this.

Edited by wraith

Brief Description:

Contact Person:

Phone Number:

Address:

Cost per session:

i think my jujitsu instructor is planning to host a "self-defense for women" seminar this march. i'll try to get more info and i'll just update you :)

i think my jujitsu instructor is planning to host a "self-defense for women" seminar this march. i'll try to get more info and i'll just update you :)

Thanks! I'll look forward to that. I am thinking of taking up jujitsu actually. If you can hook me up with your instructor so I can join his class, I would really appreciate it.

Please give me your number so I can give you a call on this. Thanks again.

aikido-defensive,more on hand-locks and throws

-go 4 traditional aikido clubs medyo matagal ang phasing ng

turo they will keep doing the same technique 4 a long time

unlike those modified aikido dat can teach u 10 techniques in 1 session

but u will soon realize dat its worthed(traditional)

-members any traditional aikido u can recomend?

this is true, this is actually the problem i see with aikido, aikido has a long learning curve. it'll take you about 6 months to a year just to get comfortable with the basic movements like ashi-sabaki (foot movements), tai-sabaki (body movements) and te sabaki (hand movements), unlike in other arts where you can easily apply strikes.

my tip for those searching for M.A. dojos is: ask about the lineage of the dojo, if you could trace it back to something authentic then that's ok. but more importantly either observe or try out a session or two, you'll know if the art is for you. maghanap kayo ng hiyang sa inyo hehehe ;)

There's Kendo at the YMCA Makati

Correct: check the lineage of the club. There are those who call their art "This and That" pero, imbento lang pala. Ive been to an AIkido Club that i think is not is not directly related to the Hombo in Tokyo but the students have all directly come from Galarpe Sensei, the originator of Aikido in the Philippines.

A lot of you guys are in AIkido so you might be interested in this: Galarpe Sensie (i forgot his first name) trained in Guam under the masters. He was fortunate enough to have been with O Sensie (in Tokyo) and his son in law in Guam (forgot his name). The son -in-Law founded the breakaway branch of aikido (the one that poropagates Zen).

Anyway, Galarpe Sensie was sent by the Hombu to the Philippines and his first students are Gavilleno (owner of the Cubao Dojo), Omar Kamar (Quiapo) and 3 others ( i think Romy Talag is one of them). Now, Galarpe Sensei anonimously visits the country, at least once a year. I am not much of an aikido practicioner but i have been fortunate to have driven him around and converse with him.

Even more, i have felt his arm locks (while we were chatting at greenhills). We were standing in a corner with many people passing by, while waiting for his wife who was shopping with two aikido sensei's.

That awesome guy is so successful in life and yet, very humble. He continous to operate a gym in Guam (his son is the head instructor) and he told me that once, a japanese instructor went up to him and asked for his qualifications. He showed the jap his original certificate (signed by the O Sensei) and the jap nodded and silently walked away.

Im not much of a Martial Artist but if i can get a gym of my own, i hope to invite him to form a new group and visit (to teach special classes) it at least twice a year. While he's away, i intend to ask his disciples to continue.

That's all for now.

Arigato Guzaimashita!