Right. So you’re resorting to muddying the issue when I was being consistent with what I’ve been saying all along: torture did happen during the Marcos era and it is not justifiable, ever.

That’s what you guys do best naman pag na corner na, Ililipat sa iba ang focus. You said so yourself that torture is not right diba? Paano napunta ang focus kung saan dapat gastusin ang compensation?,

It was reparation payment, not compensation. There's a big difference.

Sa yo din naman nanggaling kung saan ginastos yung reparation payment given to your relative, the manner of which it was spent, I felt, as a taxpayer, was inappropriate and underhanded.

Imagine, using government reparation funds to bring down the the very government who gave it.

It suggests that your relative was an unrepentant subversive who still hopes to see our government overthrown someday. It implies he was either a die-hard communist rebel - a combatant (NPA member) or an operative (agitator, political officer, etc...), which does not fit the innocent victim that you portray him to be.

It was reparation payment, not compensation. There's a big difference.

Sa yo din naman nanggaling kung saan ginastos yung reparation payment given to your relative, the manner of which it was spent, I felt, as a taxpayer, was inappropriate and underhanded.

Imagine, using government reparation funds to bring down the the very government who gave it.

It suggests that your relative was an unrepentant subversive who still hopes to see our government overthrown someday. It implies he was either a die-hard communist rebel - a combatant (NPA member) or an operative (agitator, political officer, etc...), which does not fit the innocent victim that you portray him to be.

Well it didn't come from your taxes as far as I know. The money came from the sequestered Marcos wealth.

You can view it that way, if you wish (that he aims to bring down the government... that's how a typical paranoid DDS thinks, anyways). It's your opinion and it's a relatively free country.

But as I see it he's just paying it forward by helping other victim (and would-be victims) of human rights injustice.

That's how you see it.

But the fact remains that any amount taken from the Philippine Treasury belong to Filipino taxpayers, wherever it came from.

And if you just care enough to learn more about the real activities and intent of Karapatan, you wouldn't be so self righteous.

Edited by camiar

HAHA. Believe it or not, I actually do not care. Pero research ka pa and maybe you'll see the truth. Fairy tale?

We're confident in the fact that 1.9M of Marcos' wealth has been donated to Karapatan c/o us.

You don't care but you've been posting about it. You're confident but you cant' say it with certainty. Being confident about something and that something being a fact are two different things.

http://cnnphilippines.com/news/2018/06/19/Supreme-Court-ill-gotten-wealth-PCGG-Ferdinand-Marcos-cronies.html

SC junks PCGG's ill-gotten wealth claims vs. Marcos, cronies

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, June 19) — The Supreme Court (SC) junked the government's bid to collect damages against the estate of former President Ferdinand Marcos and his cronies for lack of documentary evidence on how their supposed ill-gotten wealth was amassed.

Marcos cases:

Swiss courts - GUILTY

U.S. courts - GUILTY

Singaporean court - GUILTY

Philippine court - NOT GUILTY

Out of those 4 countries, guess which one is the most corrupt with the most corruptible justice system? Go figure!

Would you care to back up your posts with articles or rulings? If you dont, then this is just an opinion and if that is what you think, you are entitled to it. Edited by will robie
  • 1 month later...

Surprise!

The Philippine Government filed an appeal after Westinghouse and Burns & Roe were exonerated in 1993 when a Federal District Court jury in New Jersey found no evidence of bribery in their verdict on the lawsuit. Manila later banned Westinghouse equipment when settlement talks broke down.

https://www.nytimes.com/1995/10/16/business/westinghouse-pact-with-philippines.html

Here's another one:

Imelda Marcos, the widow of the former Philippine President, was acquitted yesterday of charges that she raided the country's treasury and invested the money in the United States.

https://www.nytimes.com/1990/07/03/nyregion/marcos-verdict-marcos-cleared-all-charges-racketeering-fraud-case.html

Syempre Imelda will win all the criminal cases filed against her. All she has to do is play dumb and pretend that she knew nothing of her husbands shenanigans.

Marcos cases:

Swiss courts - GUILTY

U.S. courts - GUILTY

Singaporean court - GUILTY

Philippine court - NOT GUILTY

Out of those 4 countries, guess which one is the most corrupt with the most corruptible justice system? Go figure!

But you said that they're guilty in US Courts. So unless you found a way to sue a dead man, you sue his estate, represented by Imelda Marcos. How's that going so far? I thought you guys said it was conjugal dictatorship?

But you said that they're guilty in US Courts. So unless you found a way to sue a dead man, you sue his estate, represented by Imelda Marcos. How's that going so far? I thought you guys said it was conjugal dictatorship?

There are 2 types of cases: criminal and civil.

Ferdinand is dead. Obviously, you cannot file a criminal case against him anymore. You can, however, go after his estate thru civil cases to recover ill gotten wealth or to compensate victims. Those cases I was referring to in my post were all civil cases against his estate.

Your example, Imelda's fraud case, is a criminal case. In a criminal case, you try the person individually (walang conjugal conjugal dito). Did she herself steal or commit fraud?

"The jurors said they were not convinced that Mrs. Marcos knew about any wrongdoing" is what your article states.

That is why I said that all she has to do is play dumb and put all the blame on her husband to be cleared of any wrongdoing.

Edited by juan t

Here's another one:

Imelda Marcos, the widow of the former Philippine President, was acquitted yesterday of charges that she raided the country's treasury and invested the money in the United States.

https://www.nytimes.com/1990/07/03/nyregion/marcos-verdict-marcos-cleared-all-charges-racketeering-fraud-case.html

It's been 32 years,900++ cases, two incompetent Aquinos, yet, they could not nail any Marcos.

• 3 weeks later...

Civil case, not criminal. So what happened to the case?

"Time and again, this Court has encountered cases like this which are either only half-heartedly defended or, if the semblance of a defense is interposed at all, it is only to delay disposition and gain time. It is certainly not in the interest of justice to allow respondent Marcoses to avail of the appellate remedies accorded by the Rules of Court to litigants in good faith, to the prejudice of the Republic and ultimately of the Filipino people. From the beginning, a candid demonstration of respondents good faith should have been made to the court below. Without the deceptive reasoning and argumentation, this protracted litigation could have ended a long time ago.

Since 1991, when the petition for forfeiture was first filed, up to the present, all respondents have offered are foxy responses like lack of sufficient knowledge or lack of privity or they cannot recall because it happened a long time ago or, as to Mrs. Marcos, the funds were lawfully acquired. But, whenever it suits them, they also claim ownership of 90% of the funds and allege that only 10% belongs to the Marcos estate. It has been an incredible charade from beginning to end.

x x x

Considering, therefore, that the total amount of the Swiss deposits was considerably out of proportion to the known lawful income of the Marcoses, the presumption that said dollar deposits were unlawfully acquired was duly established.

x x x

WHEREFORE, the petition is hereby GRANTED. The assailed Resolution of the Sandiganbayan dated January 31, 2002 is SET ASIDE. The Swiss deposits which were transferred to and are now deposited in escrow at the Philippine National Bank in the estimated aggregate amount of US$658,175,373.60 as of January 31, 2002, plus interest, are hereby forfeited in favor of petitioner Republic of the Philippines."

I am not asking for the case. I already saw that before. I am asking you if it has been enforced. If you have updates, show it.

Some cases yes. Some cases no. Remember, the PCGG has already recovered $4B (yes that is B as in BILLION and $ as in US DOLLARS) as of this date.

Aba dun palang mas mayaman pa kay Jaime Zobel de Ayala whos net worth is $3.7B in 2017 according to Forbes.

Some cases yes. Some cases no. Remember, the PCGG has already recovered $4B (yes that is B as in BILLION and $ as in US DOLLARS) as of this date.

Aba dun palang mas mayaman pa kay Jaime Zobel de Ayala whos net worth is $3.7B in 2017 according to Forbes.

Did the PCGG really recover P4 billion? I am asking a about this particular case. Where is the update?