Anyway, Let's talk about an interesting topic and problem most of us are familiar:

Traffic situation in Metro Manila.

I'm sure everyone of us has experienced this and it seems to be getting worse every year. And I haven't seen any concrete plan or solution coming from the MMDA to resolve this.

So my question here is: What are the solutions that you think can lessen & control the traffic in Metro Manila? And Why?

Please feel free to share your ideas (no matter how crazy or far-fetched it is). I'll share mine also :)

Nice topic! Are you familiar with predictive algorithm? Thanks.

Yes, I've read a few books and articles on the topic. I'm very interested in this field, although it's sad that there's no classes or seminars that teach this skill/topic.

For predictions/forecasting, I usually just use the classical statistical tools (regression, time series, moving averages and etc.)

• 11 months later...

Anyway, Let's talk about an interesting topic and problem most of us are familiar:

Traffic situation in Metro Manila.

I'm sure everyone of us has experienced this and it seems to be getting worse every year. And I haven't seen any concrete plan or solution coming from the MMDA to resolve this.

So my question here is: What are the solutions that you think can lessen & control the traffic in Metro Manila? And Why?

Please feel free to share your ideas (no matter how crazy or far-fetched it is). I'll share mine also :)

I will start with defining the problem or problems. Many a times after driving through heavy traffic, we will reach point where traffic will just start to flow more smoothly with no apparent reason for the congestion. Obviously, though there is a cause for congestion thus the congestion no matter how apparent (or otherwise) the reason is.

Survey the field which are the main causes for the congestion. For convenience I will categorize them to either fixed or non-fixed.

For the fixed, I can reasonably guess that these causes might include, bottlenecks, poor road design, number of stoplights, duration of stoplights signals, presence or absence of sensors etc.

For non-fixed, I would include stalled vehicles, accidents, etc.

After I get the data then I will look into the frequency of these possible causes. But this point, I should be able to define what is heavy or light traffic empirically. We can then start to do statistical analysis and see which cause is predictive of heavy traffic the most. Then and only then can I suggest a solution.

Sorry long way of saying, I don’t know pala the problem hahaha, I can feel it’s symptoms though but till I have the problem I cannot suggest a solution.

BUT, assuming for example, stalled vehicles and problema, I think need to survey again if it’s the private vehicles or puv’s that are mostly involved. Tapos kung I am part of the government agency involved, probably create policy on vehicle age Or at least ung road worthiness. Baka naman page more than say 30 years ung sasakyan dapat na rin ipagretire. Unless sobrang pristine condition.

Assuming naman na ang problem pla is bottlenecks, mabagal daloy kasi biglang kelangan pumila. Need to know mana, how long ung pila and how many actually needs to fall in line....

Need to consider din if its the shear volume and the road is just to narrow or baka me mga obstructions, like parked vehicles, illegal structures. My far fetched idea lang dyan is sana kaya ng government iclear and keep clear the roads of all obstructions.

One thing obviously missing Nga pla is ung tamang sakayan at babaan. Ideally nakashoulder or diverted yun and not part of the road like the part for moving vehicles.

Dami rin i think, need to substantiate with data, ung mga overlapping ma ruta ng mga PUV. Cguro dpat magdesign ng route ang govt such that any point in NCR max three na lipat lng ng puv. Meaning me overlap para makatransfer but not too much para makacause ng congestion.

• 8 months later...

Do companies outsource data analytics to independent consultants...?

If ever, are these types of outsourcing project-based or time-bound...?

Thanks...

I'm sure there are. There are data mining and analytic companies that offer their services for company clients. Could be project-based WITH a defined target date of delivery.