well may nakapagpost na rin. about karma, medyo malaking misconception yung notion ng mga Pilipino na "reap what you sow". While to some degree, this holds true (and sabi nga ni Raj sa The Big Bang Theory about Karma na "it's practically Newtonian, in the for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction" basically "what goes around comes around") the concept of Karma actually transcends the current lifetime that one is living. It "accumulates" through reincarnations - you may either acquire good or bad karma depending on you actions from your previous lifetime.

Reincarnation is a concept in Hinduism (though I don't know about Sikhism). Some folks may have actually confused this with REBIRTH ng Buddhism. May nakapag-explain na nga rin naman, and ang "goal" ay maging "skillful" enough to attain Nirvana.

Following unsavory events from my life, and somehow gaining insight and epiphany about the cracks in the current system within which society works, I tried to seek refuge in the Buddha. (and of course the Dhamma and Sangha). Buddhism doesn't prescribe a certain proclivity for itself to consider a form of theistic following - indeed, some people (including Buddhists as well) see Buddhism more as a philosophy rather than as a religion, though this can go either way; worldwide Buddhism is recognized as a religion. That is why it's possible to follow a Buddhist framework without renouncing one's initiated religion. Or at least, that's how it was explained to me.

I am far from being a "skillful" Buddhist. Time and time again I fall into the worldly pursuit of the desires of the flesh, gluttony, avarice, wrath. Obviously, I'm not a "very good" Catholic either in the simplest sense of the word. It really is difficult to take refuge in an almost non-existent Sangha, were the people I meet everyday do not see the world the way I do (manifesting in acting arrogant, "plastik", prejudiced, self-centered, even hedonistic) I am however not one to judge them. With Buddhism I tend to focus more on actions, about respect for sentient beings, for life, and to learn about discipline to minimize suffering.

And this is deeply ingrained in my personal practice of Muay Thai - to discipline the mind and body rather that to use the art for violence. I know it sounds rather contradicting, but I do not inflict pain nor try to k*ll anyone with it (unless necessitated for self-defense). Within the bounds of training, I only hold respect for my opponents and Kru (trainer).

Attachment - let go of "attachment". It basically means see yourself as one with everything.

Purify the mind, do good.

Sometimes, I wish it was that easy. Well, challenge accepted.

Namo Amidabuddha.

• 2 months later...

well may nakapagpost na rin. about karma, medyo malaking misconception yung notion ng mga Pilipino na "reap what you sow". While to some degree, this holds true (and sabi nga ni Raj sa The Big Bang Theory about Karma na "it's practically Newtonian, in the for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction" basically "what goes around comes around") the concept of Karma actually transcends the current lifetime that one is living. It "accumulates" through reincarnations - you may either acquire good or bad karma depending on you actions from your previous lifetime.

Reincarnation is a concept in Hinduism (though I don't know about Sikhism). Some folks may have actually confused this with REBIRTH ng Buddhism. May nakapag-explain na nga rin naman, and ang "goal" ay maging "skillful" enough to attain Nirvana.

Following unsavory events from my life, and somehow gaining insight and epiphany about the cracks in the current system within which society works, I tried to seek refuge in the Buddha. (and of course the Dhamma and Sangha). Buddhism doesn't prescribe a certain proclivity for itself to consider a form of theistic following - indeed, some people (including Buddhists as well) see Buddhism more as a philosophy rather than as a religion, though this can go either way; worldwide Buddhism is recognized as a religion. That is why it's possible to follow a Buddhist framework without renouncing one's initiated religion. Or at least, that's how it was explained to me.

I am far from being a "skillful" Buddhist. Time and time again I fall into the worldly pursuit of the desires of the flesh, gluttony, avarice, wrath. Obviously, I'm not a "very good" Catholic either in the simplest sense of the word. It really is difficult to take refuge in an almost non-existent Sangha, were the people I meet everyday do not see the world the way I do (manifesting in acting arrogant, "plastik", prejudiced, self-centered, even hedonistic) I am however not one to judge them. With Buddhism I tend to focus more on actions, about respect for sentient beings, for life, and to learn about discipline to minimize suffering.

And this is deeply ingrained in my personal practice of Muay Thai - to discipline the mind and body rather that to use the art for violence. I know it sounds rather contradicting, but I do not inflict pain nor try to k*ll anyone with it (unless necessitated for self-defense). Within the bounds of training, I only hold respect for my opponents and Kru (trainer).

Attachment - let go of "attachment". It basically means see yourself as one with everything.

Purify the mind, do good.

Sometimes, I wish it was that easy. Well, challenge accepted.

Namo Amidabuddha.

That's right King Saging. Very nice explanation.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My most favorite advice of Buddha which appeals to a freethinker like myself:

“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

First and foremost, Buddhism is a path to liberation from suffering. In essence, it is a system of achieving peace in the present life. Gautama the Buddha intuited that suffering arises from a person's disordered selfish desires and that suffering can be ended by shifting our consciousness. He taught that we create our own suffering as we allow ourselves to be driven by our selfish desires, creating a mind that makes this suffering real. To end this suffering, we need to shift the mind to see things as they are and allow life to flow without clinging. In short, s@%t happens in life; but how we perceive the situation will determine whether we will suffer or we will be calm. Detached mindfulness is the heart of the practice that will allow this kind of living.

• 3 months later...
Guest demon nick fury

Buddhists, like the majority of Tibetans, are always at peace with themselves and with their neighbors because they always observe the Golden rule. Hope filipinos can do the same thing.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Japan has a variation of Buddhism called shinto

My former boss is an atheist, but he goes to this temple for his meditation aided by a monk.

I like the teaching of learning to empty one's self. To detach as much as possible to the material world so that one might focus more on spirituality

Isa pa, Buddhist monks talaga ang nakikitang kong consistently na sinsusunod yung vow of poverty. Disconnect nga daw talaga dapat to the material world

• 4 months later...

As they say, all religions teaches righteousness. But if you look back in history, Buddhism is the religion that was able to coexist peacefully wherever it was spread. Peace bro! ;)

So true bro. Unlike other religions that have; throughout history, made claims that theirs was the only one and true religion, I admire that Buddhism never made such claims. And like you said, buddhism coexisted peacefully whith other religions :)

Carpe diem.....Yes...let's seize the day bro!....Oh captain...my captain! hehe

• Like (+1) 1
  • 4 months later...

I am not a Buddhist. But I like the philosophy. Buddhism teaches you that the root of all evil is desire, which I think is very true. This teaching is consistent with other religions such as Christianity. For example the 7 deadly sins: desire for money is greed, desire for sex is lust, desire for food is gluttony, etc etc. And therefore to do no evil, you must have no desire for anything. But Buddhism says the opposite of desire is also bad. So the only way is the middle path, then you will achieve nirvana.

Unfortunately I have many desires. And that's why I won't make a good Buddhist haha

• 4 months later...

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN WE DIE? HERE'S WHAT BUDDHISM SAYS!

The Buddhas teachings offer the most satisfactory explanation of where man came from and where he is going. When we die, the mind, with all the tendencies, preferences, abilities and characteristics that have been developed and conditioned in this life, re-establishes itself in a new being. Thus the new individual grows and develops a personality conditioned both by the mental characteristics that have been carried over from the previous life and by the new environment. The personality will change and be modified by conscious effort and conditioning factors like education, parental influence and society but once again at death, it will re-establish itself as life in a new being. This process of dying and being reborn will continue until the conditions that cause it, the mental factors of craving and ignorance, cease. When they do, instead of being reborn, the mind attains a state called Nirvana.

More here: http://www.wisdomawakened.com/2016/09/what-happens-when-we-die-heres-what.html