Players That Earned Your Respect

With the NBA hobbled with players who made waves not just because of their amazing talent but because of their off-court tantrums, legal issues, attitude problems and "team-cancers", we basketball fans, still have some who we can look up to, someone who's worth emulating; very professional, unselfish, someone who cares for the community and humanity as well, regardless of their status, game-level and skills. there's more about them than slamming that ball.

1. Reggie Miller - Kobe, Tmac, Vince, pls read. Reggie is the man to look for if u want to define loyalty to your team and Integrity of a Star Player. Win or lose, whether he's surrounded by talented teammates or with scrubs, he never turned back on his Indiana Pacers, and never let himself become a ring obssesd bitch who go to other team just ot have the ring. he never asked to be traded nor complains on his coaches, his playing time, or bitch about shifting into a support role to give way to the rising young talents. He is so unbelievable that you cant help but respect the guy. Integrity wise, when he decided to retire, he retires. period. no more dramas, no "i shall return to save this team, blah blah" no more mushy scripts. He hangs his jersey with his head up despite not winning a ring. Im not his fan but for me, he's a class above the rest. so is the case for john stockton.

2. David Robinson - A true epitome of a leader and a gentleman. Like reggie, he never wimp his team but what made me salute the Admiral is his willingness to give-up his superstar main man status for the sake of the team upon the arrival of Tim Duncan. Nothing hurts like being sidelined by "your team" in favor of a new superstar guy.But he know he has to give up that pride and put the sake of the team first. and it result in titles after titles. Everyone in SA got a lot of respect for the guy that After his retirement, there was a signature campaign asking him to run as a mayor(?). but he respectfully declined, he's just focusing on his role as a minister on his church and a role model for the christians.

more to come.....

Still Magic Johnson comes to mind on this topic. :thumbsupsmiley:

yup. yan ang isa ko pang isasama. for me, he's more than just a basketball superstar, he's more than that. for me, he's one of the modern hero. The time that he announced that he has HIV, he risk and sacrifice his social standing, his career, stardom, endorsement contracts, etc. just for the sake of saving a lot of would be victims through AIDS awareness. He's done much impact on the campaign at the time (late 80's) that any talks about HIV-AIDS is considered a taboo that no one wants to talk to. He played again in the all-star just to show the ignorant ones like Karl malone that HIV is not transferrable by just a simple skin-to-skin contact. He's a genuine human being by being not selfish and hide his health status but instead use his fame for the benefit of mankind.

Larry Bird - i am speechless about this man, for me he is the living legend

Michael Jordan - a true winner -- inspires his teammates to lift their game to the next level

Tim Duncan - silent operator, no trash talking, no bullshit, just 100% pure fundamental basketball

David Robinson - the consummate leader, patience personified

LeBron James - despite the superstar status, he remains a true team-player...notwithstanding the criticisms for him its 'Team'

Adonal Foyle.....man. this guy will gonna give Barak Obama a run for his money. The guy is more known for his political activism than being the all time warriors shot block leader. his democratic advocacy makes me think that he's in the wrong league. i see him as a future political force or even a major personality at the UN.

malik rose. ...whose gonna think that this ghetto thug-looking tough guy has as doctorate/masters degree? talk about importance of education despite having a fame and money as an athlete.

Edited by kanto-terrorist

Aside from all the superstars like Jordan, Magic Johnson and Larry Bird

this guy never fails to amaze me..

The most underrated and controversial superstar...

Allen Iverson...

He knows how to play bad-ass, but he knows when

to deliver the goods... his superstardom is fading

but he's making the right decision at the expense

of his character and attitude.. heck, he's doing

much more better than Kobe, even without all

the championship rings and without doing 81 points

or getting away with his critics.. He's getting

what he wants and he's still playing good, what

more can a bad-ass player wants?

Reggie Miller - for not giving up during moments when his team was really down and almost out; for sticking it out with the Pacers even if there was the lure of a title or more money somewhere else; and for knowing his role and when to retire.

Caron Butler - that story being run on ESPN is truly inspiring.

Gilbert Arenas - for simply being who he is.

Tony Parker - having one of the hottest GFs this side of Wisteria Lane will make you earn people's respect. Hehe!

Jerome James - I'm not sure who I admire: him or his agent...

ana ivanovic - i watched one of her games on tv and its set point.she's down 5-3 with her opponent serving.40-30.the other player served and it was ruled out.but she contested that its in and even pointed to where the ball landed.

eventually ana lost,2-1 but i admire her for that.

isama na natin ung organization. I really admire the Utah Jazz and San Antonio Spurs. kita natin how they value their players and coaches. They dont treat them as gears and pieces, like the other teams. they treat them as a family. And if possible, they want their guys to retire right there in their team-family

Thunder Dan Majerle

I agree on this, I remember during that draft day, when the representative of the Suns announced that they are drafting Dan Majerle he was boooed. Thunder Dan made them regret doing that. He was well appreciated in Phoenix during his stint there.

Andy Johnson of Everton. I used to think he was just some punk from a second division team but when I saw him running like mad to the goal.... I was impressed. :thumbsupsmiley:

Yes, AJ is one of the EPL players I admire. I also include Alan Smith for conquering injuries and even adapting to a new position. Unfortunately, with all of the purchases made by Sir Alex this offseason, it looks as if Alan will get fewer minutes on the pitch. Oh well, he's always welcome at Leeds.