tazmanic

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I think those who do not have migraines would not be able to comprehend how painful having one really is. The throbbing and that extreme pain at one part of your head while all you can do is lie in bed in a dark quiet room while trying not to move too much as any exertion makes it even more painful and throb even more.

I actually kid around sometimes because whenever I have migraines, it’s like I have super powers because I can smell and hear everything and I am very photosensitive.

At the onset of Migraine I always pop 1 Ponstan 500 SF. But even this strong medicine isn’t enough for me at times. For exteme cases I take Tramal or Tromadol. I think it’s a general pain reliever but what I like about it is also makes you sleepy so I can just sleep the pain away.

My officemate swears by water therapy. She said she used to have migraine almost everyday. That’s until she started drinking 3 glasses of water right after she wakes up an every opportunity thereafter. I am trying this out myself now but I still get the occasional migraines.

Any other suggestions? Anybody have a success story at beating migraine?

:goatee:

Guest Dobermaxx

Over the last 2 weeks I've been getting these rally bad headaches behind my right eye that spreads over half my head. It's been happening almost every day and it's driving me nuts. I think it's sinus related but then again it might be a stress migarne, im not sure. What I've been doing is taking Excendrin Extra Strength and steaming myself to relieve the sinus pressure. It doesnt always work but it provides a bit of relief.

Over the last 2 weeks I've been getting these rally bad headaches behind my right eye that spreads over half my head. It's been happening almost every day and it's driving me nuts. I think it's sinus related but then again it might be a stress migarne, im not sure. What I've been doing is taking Excendrin Extra Strength and steaming myself to relieve the sinus pressure. It doesnt always work but it provides a bit of relief.

Hmmm... Isn't it that if something's sinus related you get a pain around the nasal area and the eye sockets especially when you bend down? Ganun ba yun sayo?

Naproxen sodium (220mg/tab) works very well with my patients. Have you tried it?

Not yet! :goatee: But I have some allergies with pain relievers especially Ibuprofen. Meron ba history of allergic reaction with Naproxen Sodium?

Any other suggestions? Anybody have a success story at beating migraine?

:goatee:

Well, ideally this should have been included in the medical thread. At any rate, there are more specific medications for migraine such as sumatriptan and ergotamine (prescription drugs), other than the usual painrelievers we label as nsaids (included are mefenamic acid, naproxen, etc..). These meds, coupled with sleeping in a quiet, darkened room usually work (since migraine is often accompanied by either photo or phonosensitivity).

We strongly suggest that people diagnosed to have migraine, such as me, avoid food rich in tyramine such as cheese, wine and chocolates. Other causes can include stress, missed meals, and even menstrual cycles. You have to be aware of what the trigger factor is.

Lastly, make sure you get the right diagnosis first (consult a neurologist) since a lot of organic problems can present as headache, and can be mistaken as migraine. Refrain from self-medication, please.

Guest Dobermaxx
Hmmm... Isn't it that if something's sinus related you get a pain around the nasal area and the eye sockets especially when you bend down? Ganun ba yun sayo?

Not yet! :goatee: But I have some allergies with pain relievers especially Ibuprofen. Meron ba history of allergic reaction with Naproxen Sodium?

Not necessarily, sometimes it just hits me for no reason. My nose isnt stuffy or anything like that. The pain just starts up then i feel stuffy after about 15 minutes.

Isn't Naporxen Sodium a presciption drug?

Not necessarily, sometimes it just hits me for no reason. My nose isnt stuffy or anything like that. The pain just starts up then i feel stuffy after about 15 minutes.

Isn't Naporxen Sodium a presciption drug?

It is. But you can try getting it without one, cos it's one of the more frequently used painrelievers, as common as ponstan, etc...Just dont take it on an empty stomach. Dapat with meals. and only when needed (if the pain becomes severe).

Just be careful if your going to take any painrelievers. A history of an allergic reaction to one ay mean allergic ka rin sa iba in that drug class. Ibuprofen is an NSAID. This family includes mefanamic acid, naproxen, piroxicam, meloxicam, and diclofenac among others

Ang cause kasi ng migraine eh over toxic. Kaya dapat bawas sa toxic foods

Ang cause ng migraine e toxic na boss, toxic na trabaho, toxic na pasyente, etc :lol:

Kidding aside, some foodstuff can cause migraine attacks. If you may backtrack a little through the previous posts, certain food which are rich in tyramine like wine, chocolate and cheese can be a trigger. So if you have migraine stay away from these foodstuff

Just be careful if your going to take any painrelievers. A history of an allergic reaction to one ay mean allergic ka rin sa iba in that drug class. Ibuprofen is an NSAID. This family includes mefanamic acid, naproxen, piroxicam, meloxicam, and diclofenac among others

Yup, please be careful with the medications that you're taking. You might end up getting more than what you asked more.

Just remember to pay your doctor a visit just in case those migraine attacks worsen or have begun failing to respond to the usual meds that you're taking. ^_^

• 1 month later...

mine is a bit weird...

lalakad ako sa labas... mainit... papawisan ang ulo ko... pag pasok sa office... lalamig dahil sa aircon... lalo lalamig ang ulo ko dahil basa sa pawis...

minsan after whole day naka-tutok sa pc monitor... tapos drive pauwi... 30mins na puro headlight ng kasalubong ko...

then it will start to strike me from left forehead (above eyes)... never occur on my right forehead...

sometimes tangal sa tulog, sometimes tangal sa kape...

Edited by tmm0814

I also take Excedrin Extra Strength and it really works for me. Caffeine is the secret of this drug. That's why I take loads of brewed coffee too when I'm having migraine attacks.

• 2 weeks later...
I also take Excedrin Extra Strength and it really works for me. Caffeine is the secret of this drug. That's why I take loads of brewed coffee too when I'm having migraine attacks.

yes, it's quite effective....

there are other meds too such as ergotamine and sumatriptan which are quite specific and effective for migraine. But again, we remind you, please have yourselves diagnosed first. Migraine Headache is just one of the many types/causes of headache....there are a lot more in the list. If the headache becomes more frequent and increases in intensity, or if it is the new-onset severe type, then go see a neurologist. A cranial CT Scan might be warranted.

My remedies:

Coffee and 2 capsules Excedrin or Tylenol Extra Strenght OR

A can of icecold Diet Coke or Diet Mountain Dew (gotta be diet for the extra caffeine kick) and 2 capsules Excedrin or Tylenol Extra Strength

PLUS

No more than 2 hours of sleep in a cold, dark room.

Upon waking up, I have a cold shower and im good as new.

When my migraines were really bad I was on prescription Avamigran but that kinda went away by itself.

Edited by Wyld
My remedies:

Coffee and 2 capsules Excedrin or Tylenol Extra Strenght OR

A can of icecold Diet Coke or Diet Mountain Dew (gotta be diet for the extra caffeine kick) and 2 capsules Excedrin or Tylenol Extra Strength

PLUS

No more than 2 hours of sleep in a cold, dark room.

Upon waking up, I have a cold shower and im good as new.

When my migraines were really bad I was on prescription Avamigran but that kinda went away by itself.

I got everything wyld... cept the no more than two hours... really? darn i havent yet considered that as a factor... if that works.. i owe you...

I got everything wyld... cept the no more than two hours... really? darn i havent yet considered that as a factor... if that works.. i owe you...

Personally, if I nap more than 2 hours I get a headache.

When I have a migraine going on, I noticed that it got worse if the nap was longer than 2 hours.

What I do is set an alarm and then just lie down in the dark, cold room until I feel that I can get up and shower.

Let me know how it turns out for you.

• 1 month later...

Ive had nasty migraine fits before. The worst ive had is a 2 days series of attacks of about 4 attacks a day. Head splitting and vomit inducing. I had to go to a neurologist. Meds cost me 300 a pop.

That was about 5 years ago.

Ive found a way to avoid Migraine that works for me. See below. And the good thing about it if I have an attack it comes in 6 mos. intervals na lang and the pain is more manageable and shorter in duration.

1. Ditch pharmacological solutions if you can. Trick is health lifestyle. Get exercise (as in sweat theraphy) at least 2x a week. exercise allows your brain to secrete "feel good" chemicals that, over time, mitigates migraine attacks.

2. Avoid Cigarettes and long drinking binges.

3. Eat well.

4. If you have an attack, treat with pain killers. The AMA says that migraine that goes untreated (that is if you just bear it) becomes more difficult to cure over time.

• 1 month later...

I also used to have terrible migraine attacks that goes on and off for days and sometimes even weeks (you know, the feeling that the pain is just lingering and any moment a major attack would happen). At times I would wake up in the middle of the night with tears in my left eye involuntarily flowing because of pain in the left side of my head. I've tried Ponstan SF 500 but it only works for a while and also tried Avamigran but its useless once the attack has already started. Like most migraine sufferers, my migraine is triggered by a change in weather, chocolates, coffee, too much sweets, lack of sleep, and stress.

This was a torture I had to endure way back in 1994. It was only now that I realized I haven't had a migraine attack for more than 10 years already. My doctor and I experimented with several prescription meds during that time until we found one that worked for me. If I remember correctly, it was a prescription drug called Sibelium which I had to take 2x daily for a month which solved my suffering. I had to take it even if I didn't have an attack (and during the treatment period, the migraine did not immediately stop even when I was already taking the drug). But it did work after I completed the prescription period.

Ask your doctor about it, it might also work for you.

Edited by wageor