Cloud Storage Battle

Google and Microsoft have finally joined the cloud storage wars. I'm using Dropbox and Sugarsync, now I have four. I can't decide (yet) which is better, so I'm keeping them all.

If that is not enough, Amazon is playing catch up.

What's yours?

Edited by Leyna
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have dropbox and box.net. but i like dropbox better. box.net is sort of a backup. lol. redundant.

im not an apple user but they were raving about iCloud because you can sync (and use) one config for all your apple devices including movies and music.

i have sugarsync... because they offer the biggest free storage...but i still bought a western digital my book live (personal cloud) to try out. its a great server for the home, had no time to install yet the software needed to run it cloud wise. this coming weekend i will try to cloud it so to speak.

i prefer SDcard, externalHD

that is fine but what do you if your extHD or SDcard goes down? the cloud frees you from physical devices and connectivity.

i have sugarsync... because they offer the biggest free storage...but i still bought a western digital my book live (personal cloud) to try out. its a great server for the home, had no time to install yet the software needed to run it cloud wise. this coming weekend i will try to cloud it so to speak.

let us know if WD's personal cloud is good or not.

office 365 lets you run the entire office suite from the cloud and you dont even have to install the software on your computer

===

what scares me most about cloud storage is security. what if somebody from the inside leaks our info? what if somebody was able to hack into the system? what if they werent fully redundant as they would say storage (raid) and connectivity (network) wise?

:ninja:

its simple, i simply dont want to rely on the cloud as you have pointed out yourself due to SECURITY concern

i agree on this one, since important and security sensitive data would not be more than 4gb in total, better use a USB stick instead or an SDCard for that matter.

for large files for example movies and music, streaming is easy in cloud.

in my case I have lots of photos since 2009 and my drives are filling up. I dont want to carry these files on my portable and putting them in my desktop 2TB would make it unaccessible for me when i do need some of them when i am constantly on the move.

having a bigger cloud account is costly for me, and buying a personal cloud was the only option.

but transferring files to the WD is excruciatingly slow..... ill let you know guys if i get the cloud thingie working this weekend.

its simple, i simply dont want to rely on the cloud as you have pointed out yourself due to SECURITY concern

uhm, i pointed it out just for the sake of uhm discussion uhm sir (you know, just to keep the thread going). besides, my files are all crap and i don't think they'd earn a fortune out of it lol.

kidding aside, they are generally very safe. trust me - i've dealt with them almost all my professional life and i've never had problems with them. they do have disclaimers though and I don't think they'd want a lawsuit on their asses.

(well, at least from where I am at, the security and privacy laws are very clear and enforced)

anyway, so your ext HD or flash card (or whatever you use) failing isn't a security concern?

i think it should be and i suggest you apply some kind of failover on whatever setup you use (RAID probably but with external HD's that's kinda a no no or keep the HD's in a fire-proof safe) since i think you keep super duper sensitive stuff.

its a risk worth taking for me though and I do use both - an external HD and the cloud for redundancy.

what i really like about the cloud is that you can have access to your files whenever, whenever and all you need is a reliable internet connection.

i agree on this one, since important and security sensitive data would not be more than 4gb in total, better use a USB stick instead or an SDCard for that matter.

for large files for example movies and music, streaming is easy in cloud.

in my case I have lots of photos since 2009 and my drives are filling up. I dont want to carry these files on my portable and putting them in my desktop 2TB would make it unaccessible for me when i do need some of them when i am constantly on the move.

having a bigger cloud account is costly for me, and buying a personal cloud was the only option.

but transferring files to the WD is excruciatingly slow..... ill let you know guys if i get the cloud thingie working this weekend.

so you do use both right? external HDs and the cloud?

the reason I'm asking is because i think WD's personal cloud works in such a way that you can sync the data off your WD HD online (i meant internet) using the software the comes with it. you probably have to register an account with them too.

if you do not want to store data on the cloud then there are other options like zumocast. what it does is that you install zumocast on your laptop and your smartphone (both must be on and online) and you choose what data (or folder) you want available for download. it doesnt store the data on the cloud but it uses the cloud (or in other words your internet connection) to connect to your laptop or cellphone (vice versa) so you have access to whatever you need.

:)

so you do use both right? external HDs and the cloud?

the reason I'm asking is because i think WD's personal cloud works in such a way that you can sync the data off your WD HD online (i meant internet) using the software the comes with it. you probably have to register an account with them too.

if you do not want to store data on the cloud then there are other options like zumocast. what it does is that you install zumocast on your laptop and your smartphone (both must be on and online) and you choose what data (or folder) you want available for download. it doesnt store the data on the cloud but it uses the cloud (or in other words your internet connection) to connect to your laptop or cellphone (vice versa) so you have access to whatever you need.

:)

i bought the 2TB WD Elements last year. Then last week I bought the 2TB WD My Book Live (Cloud Edition) One Drive. Based on the documentation, I can access my personal cloud drive ---

if by Iphone or Ipad or Android enabled device ---> via app

if by computer ---> via wd2go.com, you must set a password on your MBL before it can be accessed remotely by your remote computer. but you must have an account with them, which is free registration they say.

thanks regarding zumocast, let me check it after I am done with my clouding thingie.... ill report about it next week.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...