If you guys ever get a chance, try wines from New York. Long Island and Upstate New York like around Onondaga Lake have wonderful wineries. I always liked the white wines of the wineries there especially the reislings. Their red wines are ok too, less robust compared to french reds.

For the longest time, I've always wanted to have a taste of wines coming from the New York state area - yung mga Finger Lakes, etc. But they're not available here. Where do you get your New York wines, pare, or do you live in the States. Ang alam ko may regulation dyan sa New York state that prohibits the moving of wine out of the state boundaries, kaya walang nag-iimport papunta dito.

thanks for visiting the Thread :)

i also like drinking wine but i am hardly a connoisseur. i just love reds cabernet sauvignon, merlot, shiraz...usually from chile or australia. i also like spanish tempranillo and italian sangiovese...for white wines i like pinot grigio the most, then chardonnay and riesling...

i just hate how how wine is overpriced here sa pinas...maybe sa shop mo bod1000 reasonable ang price. :)

Pare you're very welcome here - wala namang connoiseur dito eh - we're here to share info and tidbits about our wine drinking experience. Lahat tayo beginners :P

You can't go wrong with your choices, pare. Cabs, merlot and shiraz - what more is there? With all those wineries around the world hindi tayo magsasawa sa mga ito! Spanish and Italian reds are more rare around these parts, and not many people know them - so you must have been drinking wine for quite a time now to get to know tempranillo and sangiovese - and pinot grigio, to boot! And being a doctor (you're a doctor, di ba), you must be aware of the health benefits of wine.

Medyo mura pa nga dito. Sa Bangkok as I said, the same wine is more expensive. Dito kasi you can't price wines too high because Manila is not yet that keen on wines, so how can the distributors wean drinkers from beer and spirits if wine is expensive?

I don't have a shop. Mine is import/distribution and my wines are available in a few outlets - maliit lang naman my business - parang libangan lang talaga :P but I'd say my wines are on the midlevel scale - P300 to P700, but you get good value for your money. I don't get cheap wines because mostly they are inferior.

thanks for dropping by, chris :)

chardonnay.. perfect w/ chicken :)

hello nz :) Nice to see you here!

Ay masarap talaga yan with chicken! Do you drink wine often? Oist, di ba bawal pa uminom sa 'yo :P

You know what - there are a lot of very good New Zealand wines, and mostly they are famous for their whites. Sayang nga konti lang ang available na New Zealand dito. Check out Cloudy Bay - the best ang mga white wines nila!

thanks for dropping by! see you again here........

Edited by bods1000
Can anyone recommend a good ice wine? I wanna try it kasi eh. I was watching the thirsty traveller some months back and ice wine was the feature for that episode. I couldn't recall any specifics but now that someone here said they've already tried it I was wondering if you can help me out.

Pare, anong show yung Thirsty Traveller, and where and when is it shown?

mukhang maganda yun ah! ccl is the expert here on icewines :P

Thanks ccl for that info about Icewine....so ganun pala yun. It must be delicious but I bet the alcohol content is high, because if the sugar content in a grape is allowed to go up, alcohol content also shoots up. Tell me where Icewine is being sold ok?

uhmmm...no thanks for your Chinese wines :P Since you mention cough syrup baka nga magkasakit pa 'ko when I drink that lolz. Hmmm...I wonder what we can do with those bottles :unsure:

Regarding Icewine,I will do a little research to find out where and how much it costs?I will check with Brumms and Santi s to see whats available and report back later this week.Regarding what to do with 4 bottles of chinese wine, anybody here have suggestions aside from turning it into wine vinegar :lol: ??

OK,I have a report on Ice wine,For those who dont want want to pay a minimum of 1,500 pesos per bottle,Rustan s Ayala is selling 200ML half bottles of ice wine between 700-900 pesos.That way you can try it out without having to buy a whole bottle.Look in the New world wines section and it is there with the canadian wines :D

Have any of you tried the Mango Wine produced locally?

I bought a bottle last time I was in Intramuros and the wine was very good.

I'm not really a wine drinker but this was tastes very good.

Mura pa, mga P250 per bottle.

I've seen a Mango wine but I can't remember where...must be in one of those Trade Fairs...I really don't know how they make it - must have used a lot of mangoes to ferment the juice :P

Anyway I gotta try one when I see one again!

Nice of you to drop by, sir Fahfrd :P

Regarding Icewine,I will do a little research to find out where and how much it costs?I will check with Brumms and Santi s to see whats available and report back later this week.Regarding what to do with 4 bottles of chinese wine, anybody here have suggestions aside from turning it into wine vinegar :lol: ??

Now that you mention it, maybe you can donate it to the Cooking Thread here to use in one of their recipes that will require wine :D

O kaya magpa-quiz ka uli dun sa PP with the wines as prizes, o diba?

OK,I have a report on Ice wine,For those who dont want want to pay a minimum of 1,500 pesos per bottle,Rustan s Ayala is selling 200ML half bottles of ice wine between 700-900 pesos.That way you can try it out without having to buy a whole bottle.Look in the New world wines section and it is there with the canadian wines :D

You really are quick on your toes, ccl :P

Pero mahal pa din - ok I wish the others will take up on your icewine hunt and get to try them. thanks a lot!

Hmm. Icewine. Maybe for more special occassions.

For your typical dinner wine though, my budget would probably be in the 500 range only. Nothing too expensive really. Just a little something to warm you up and get a slight buzz.

:D

warm you up for what, pare :P

yeah, reasonable na yan for a dinner date. As for me, yung everyday drinking wine ko pwede na sa akin yung mga nasa P300 range.

Ola Bods! The "I-know-wine-wannabe" is back! Me! :lol:

Shempre na alarm ako when you were trying to verify the Traminer Riesling I mentioned since they seem to be of diffy varieties. So checkity check ako and there is such a thing as a Traminer Riesling. Not only does Sherwood Estate carry one but some other wineries as well. Eto I just copied from their websites:

Sherwood Estates 2003 Traminer Riesling

The wine is pale straw in colour and the aroma is sweet-smelling. Being a fresh, young wine this Traminer Riesling typically displays the aroma of lychees and floral, with lemon and honey overtones. Residual sweetness is maintained to complement the obvious fruit characters of the wine. Drink this wine now to enjoy its fresh style, and enjoy with spicy Thai, Malay and Indian dishes.

2001 Sacred Hill Traminer Riesling

The wine is pale straw in colour and the bouquet: Typical musk aromas from the traminer are evident withslight spice and citrus notes from the riesling. This wine exhibits the spicy musk and rose petal flavours oftraminer combined with soft lemon and lime citrus characters of the riesling. A medium sweet wine with a crisp acid finish. It is a great match with Mediterranean-stylevegetable pizzas or a Hoisin lamb & vegetable stir-fry.

So is this the Traminer Riesling a hybrid? Am clueless. :D

I tried researching on Stonefish Wines but didn't come up with much except that it's available in a whole lot of the restos in Australia and it seems to come from the Hunter Valley. The St. Hugo in the otherhand is from Orlando Wines (not Yalumba according to my GOOGLE search, hehe so my bf must've mixed it up with another bottle from his memory :lol: ) and it was a Coonawara Cabernet Sauvignon 2000 which we drank in 2004 kaya masarapppppp! :D

Ola Bods! The "I-know-wine-wannabe" is back! Me! :lol:

Shempre na alarm ako when you were trying to verify the Traminer Riesling I mentioned since they seem to be of diffy varieties. So checkity check ako and there is such a thing as a Traminer Riesling. Not only does Sherwood Estate carry one but some other wineries as well. Eto I just copied from their websites:

Sherwood Estates 2003 Traminer Riesling

The wine is pale straw in colour and the aroma is sweet-smelling. Being a fresh, young wine this Traminer Riesling typically displays the aroma of lychees and floral, with lemon and honey overtones. Residual sweetness is maintained to complement the obvious fruit characters of the wine. Drink this wine now to enjoy its fresh style, and enjoy with spicy Thai, Malay and Indian dishes.

2001 Sacred Hill Traminer Riesling

The wine is pale straw in colour and the bouquet: Typical musk aromas from the traminer are evident withslight spice and citrus notes from the riesling. This wine exhibits the spicy musk and rose petal flavours oftraminer combined with soft lemon and lime citrus characters of the riesling. A medium sweet wine with a crisp acid finish. It is a great match with Mediterranean-stylevegetable pizzas or a Hoisin lamb & vegetable stir-fry.

So is this the Traminer Riesling a hybrid? Am clueless. :D

I tried researching on Stonefish Wines but didn't come up with much except that it's available in a whole lot of the restos in Australia and it seems to come from the Hunter Valley. The St. Hugo in the otherhand is from Orlando Wines (not Yalumba according to my GOOGLE search, hehe so my bf must've mixed it up with another bottle from his memory :lol: ) and it was a Coonawara Cabernet Sauvignon 2000 which we drank in 2004 kaya masarapppppp! :D

hey we're all wannabes here, ok :P

Kaya pala you didn't reply agad. Busy-busy you sa research. Well that was one nifty research you did and I stand corrected. It must be some kind of hybrid, and please don't get alarmed because nervous din ako sa mga facts kowe :D Learning stage pa din ako, if you know hehe.

Teka...now I know what it is. The wines you mentioned make use of two grape varieties - traminer and riesling, right? Just like there are some wines which are Cabernet-Merlot - which is a combi of cabernet sauvignon and merlot - and Grenache-Shiraz - which combines grenache and shiraz.

The combination of varietals is sometimes made to temper the taste of one grape with that of another. Like with Cab-Merl - the merlot which is softer is used to counter the tannic qualities of a cabernet sauvignon hehe.

Hehe I wonder why he mixed up his wineries. Figure he had too much buzz or what? Orlando - yes! makes a lot of great drinkable wines - and not to expensive.

Yalumba on the other hand belongs to the elite of Aussie wineries. It is the oldest family-owned winery in Australia. Coonawarra is another great region for wines. I don't think Stonefish and St. John is available here.

cheers! how can I get you the semillon :P

I've seen a Mango wine but I can't remember where...must be in one of those Trade Fairs...I really don't know how they make it - must have used a lot of mangoes to ferment the juice :P

Anyway I gotta try one when I see one again!

Nice of you to drop by, sir Fahfrd :P

Yup, ya gotta try it one of these days, dude. :)

Masarap siya. :cool:

what would u guys recommend na wine sa isang wala pang alam sa wines na tulad ko? maybe yung lower price range muna, yung mga around 300, meron kasi ako nakikita na usually nasa ganung price range pero di ko alam kung ano kukunin ko.i've tried white wine and red wine pero parang prefer ko ay red. then meron kasi ako naririnig na wines made of grapes pero di ko maalala yung term sa ganun eh (sorry am not really that knowledgeable in wines eh) kasi sabi nila mas masarap daw yun. maybe some of you can give a sort of lecture on different kind of wines.

tsaka yung sinsabi nga palang mango wine, saan ba makakabili nun? available ba yun sa karamihan ng mga liquor stores?

tnx mga pre

My sister is planning on exporting wine to the philippines. NZ wine is really good.. anyone interested? :) PM me ;)

hello :)

Is your sister connected to any winery? kasi ang alam ko only the winery or their authorized agents are allowed to export in bulk. If it is in her personal capacity, medyo expensive mag-padala through airfreight and in small quantities pa.

what would u guys recommend na wine sa isang wala pang alam sa wines na tulad ko? maybe yung lower price range muna, yung mga around 300, meron kasi ako nakikita na usually nasa ganung price range pero di ko alam kung ano kukunin ko.i've tried white wine and red wine pero parang prefer ko ay red. then meron kasi ako naririnig na wines made of grapes pero di ko maalala yung term sa ganun eh (sorry am not really that knowledgeable in wines eh) kasi sabi nila mas masarap daw yun. maybe some of you can give a sort of lecture on different kind of wines.

tsaka yung sinsabi nga palang mango wine, saan ba makakabili nun? available ba yun sa karamihan ng mga liquor stores?

tnx mga pre

hello there!

actually most wines being sold are made from grapes and due to its long tradition, these are the best.

there are a lot of reds in the market - dun ka pumunta sa supemarket dahil mas mahal sa wine stores. Among the best with a lot of choices are Shopwise, Cash & Carry, Landmark, Unimart. Hwag ka pumunta sa SM dahil mas mahal sa kanila.

For beginners, safe ka na dun sa budget mong P300. Madaming mas mura kaya lang baka ma-turn off ka sa wine dahil ang mga cheapies na ito ay mapapakla. Offhand, I can say you try Butterfly Ridge - mga P300 yata ito - pero good value ito dahil pwede na. Kung hindi mo makita , just look for other P300 wines there. Madaming choices - may French, California, Chilean, Australian. May makikita ka sa mga bote na nakasulat - Cabernet Sauvignon, or Merlot, or Shiraz. Usually medyo softer ang lasa ng mga merlot kesa dun sa dalawa.

After buying your wine, store it in a cool, preferably dark place. NEVER store it in the ref or else the cork will stick and you will have difficulty in pulling out the cork.

If possible, store the wine on its side, not standing up. After opening, hwag mo nang paabutin ng more than 4 days yung alak - kundi sasama na lasa nito.

good luck pare!

Mama Lips, here's your St. Hugo's:

Orlando St. Hugo Cabernet Sauvignon 1999

South Australia, Barossa Valley

Rating: 93 out of 100 (real excellent pala ito!)

Medium red-purple; the elegant bouquet has good fruit ripeness, which flows through into the mid-palate of the wine. The oak has been well-handled, the wine finishing with pleasantly dry, savoury tannins. An excellent follow up to the outstanding '98 vintage.

Best drinking 2004 - 2009.

Drink with rack of lamb.

Another one:

McWilliams Mt. Pleasant Rosehill Shiraz 1999

NSW, Lower Hunter Valley

Rating: 89 out of 100

Medium red-purple; the moderately intense bouquet shows distinctly earthy/regional fruit characters as does the palate, silky and savoury, and not the least flamboyant.

Best drinking 2004 - 2014

Edited by bods1000
hello :)

Is your sister connected to any winery? kasi ang alam ko only the winery or their authorized agents are allowed to export in bulk. If it is in her personal capacity, medyo expensive mag-padala through airfreight and in small quantities pa.

As a matter of fact, yes she is! :) She works in an exporting company that wants to import wine in the Philippines, do you want to see their brochures or something? I can send it through mail if you want.

NZ wine is really good.. you're a wine-lover so I'm pretty sure you know that :)