Firearms Regulations

joe1234

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

OK guys, a few have recently PM'd me asking how much the LTOPF is and how come the Gun Stores keep charging them 5k in LTOPF fees when they get another gun, even when they already have a license. this post is to clarify and will post this on another related thread on this site.

remember that LTOPF stands for License To Own and Possess Firearm/s, meaning that it is YOUR License, not your Gun's License. meaning that YOU HAVE TO APPLY FOR IT ONLY ONCE! any firearms you own are REGISTERED UNDER YOUR LICENSE.

now, as to fees:

Class1 (may possess up to 2 firearms)- Php 1000

Class2 (may possess up to 5 firearms)- Php 2000

Class3 (may possess up to 10 firearms; required for those possessing full auto weapons)- Php 3000

Class4 (may possess up to 15 firearms)- Php 5000

Class5 (may possess more than 15 firearms, must be a certified gun collector and own a gun safe)- Php 10,000

sports shooter category (allows you a special LTOPF for 3 gun competitors)- Php1000

Antique gun collector- Php 2000

Gun collector- Php 5000

Permit to Transport- Php 20

PTC- Php 6000

per firearm registered is Php 1600, although i have heard that this may be brought down to as low as Php 500, same as the PTC price........

now, remember that the license is valid for 4 years, and you will have to pay this again after that time......

most gun stores usually charge 5k for LTOPF and another 5k when you get a another gun. for those in MM and surrounding provinces, it might be cheaper to transact business with the gun dealer's rep in Crame mismo, so you end up just paying the standard fees.....

Parang malabo yata ang proceso para jan? One thing that i learned here in afar away landmis that you do not part with your firearms.

Either you have it in you or you keep it....never allow anybody touch/hold or keep it for you.

You can never tell....all responsibilities and liabilities are your with respect to your firearms....

• 2 months later...

I am a Balik Bayan with a US citizenship. Is the current Philippines Gun Law prohibits me from owning a firearm? How then would I be able to defend myself in case when it is needed?

ilukaok is correct. if you really want to own a gun here, best way would be to get dual citizenship, then you could apply for the LTOPF

Dual citizenship is applicable for natural born only, not naturalized. Bomber!
Dual citizenship is applicable for natural born only, not naturalized. Bomber![/quot

How were you classified as balikbayan if you were not a filipino citizen prior to being a US citizen?

Unless you are of different nationality, resided in the Philippines and become an immigrant,moved to US and got US citizenship.

Am a little confused....

Dual citizenship is applicable for natural born only, not naturalized. Bomber![/quot

How were you classified as balikbayan if you were not a filipino citizen prior to being a US citizen?

Unless you are of different nationality, resided in the Philippines and become an immigrant,moved to US and got US citizenship.

Am a little confused....

When I was borned in the Philippines, my parents still have both their citizenship as CHINESE. During Marcos' regime, our family was naturalized to FILIPINO, due to business opportunity. When I got my US citizenship, I did try to apply the dual citizenship at the Philippines' embassy in Washington DC. They took my application together with the processing fee and ask me to return to the embassy after three days. Upon walking back to the Metro(subway), I got a called from the embassy asking me if I could return to the counter of the embassy. The consulate of the embassy met me and start explaining to me that my case is not applicable for dual citizenship. He was showing me my birth certificate that when I was born, my parents' citizenship is still CHINESE. The dual citizenship is only applicable to natural born. When all is said and done, to my surprise, he made a comment. ANG POLICY NA BINIGAY SA AMIN DITO SA AMERICA, HINDI KA PUEDE MAG APPLY NANG DUAL. PERO KUNG GUSTO MONG SUPUKAN MAG APPLY SA PINAS, AT NAG GRANT SILA SA IYO NANG DUAL, WALA KAMI MASASABI. So, from what he had said, am I still able to apply or not? If I can, is there someone you can recommend to do this dual citizenship application? Thanks in advance.

in your case, sorry no. even if you were born in the Philippines, the Citizenship Law here is determined by blood. in other words, to be considered for natural citizenship, your father and/or mother must be Filipino citizens at the time of your birth.

as for citizenship in two or more countries, even if the US says you must choose, international law is pretty open in the matter. there are many precedence. an example would be, American citizens are not allowed to hold knighthood from foreign nations, but many Americans do hold honorary titles. the fib is that Pres. Eisenhower of the USA, and Sir Eisenhower of the Order of the Garter are two different people, they just share one body.......

Edited by miggyE

@ tropical stud - see below and determine if you qualify....

Citizenship by birth[edit]

As of 2010, with no significant changes expected, Philippine nationality law provides that a person becomes a Philippine citizen by birth if

• that person was born on or after October 15, 1986 and at least one parent was a Philippine citizen on the birthdate;[3]
  • that person was born on or after January 17, 1973 and both parents were Philippine citizens on the birthdate or the person elected Philippine citizenship pursuant to the provisions of the 1935 Constitution;[4]
  • or the person was born on or after May 14, 1935 and the father was a Philippine citizen or, if the father was not, the mother was a Philippine citizen and the person elected Philippine citizenship pursuant to the provisions of the 1935 Constitution;[5]
  • or that person was born on or after August 29, 1916 and prior to May 14, 1935 and at least one parent was an inhabitant and resident of the Philippine Islands and a Spanish subject on April 11, 1899, or that person was an inhabitant and resident of the Philippine Islands and a Spanish subject on April 11, 1899, except in certain specific cases.[6]

i hope this helps

When I was living in US, even a green card holder at that time, I was able to purchase firearms. The seller just need to have my driver license and do a background check, usually takes around less than half an hour for a rifle, then for a handgun about the same but with a two weeks waiting period. Philippines gun law should be implemented in this manner too. As long you're a law abiding citizen, you should be able to purchase to defend yourself. Even with the gun law, there's still a lot of crime being committed by the outlaws. Just like last year or early this year, the local authority personnels were the one committing the crime along EDSA, luckily they were caught due to social media exposé.

• Like (+1) 1

first thing first, the US has the Second Amendment. we don't.

secondly, the US does not have ongoing insurgencies. we do.

as it is, the gun laws have already been loosened much. 40 years ago, owning a gun was outright illegal, and only those with money could afford it. now, all you need is a single license to buy all the legal guns your heart desires.....

as it is (again) most Filipino citizens have no problem procuring firearms as long as you go thru the process. but you are considered a resident alien. after all, you gave up your naturalized Filipino citizenship for an American citizenship. also, what guarantee does the Republic have that you will not be buying firearms to act as a fifth column?

• 1 month later...