How About Japan (tokyo, Kyoto, And Other Cities

for gaming and high tech gadget enthusiasts, dont miss to visit akihabara district when you are in tokyo.

Just want to clarify about japanese tech gadget. Isn't true that it is more expensive to buy in Japan. Cause I know their exported item are cheaper than buying it there.

best time to go is durin spring when the weather is not so hot and not so cold. if you like sightseeing, osaka and kyoto is recommended for the traditional feel (temples, geishas plus the cherry blossoms).

if you dig amusement parks, try Sir Galahad's suggestion of going to Disney resorts but I recommend the Universal Studios in Osaka since the rides are said pretty much like the one in the US. For extreme rides, Fuji-Q is famous. If you are planning to go to Yokohama, there's Sea paradise and go to Minato-Mirai 21 to check out the Cosmo Clock (Ferriswheel with bright lights and a digital clock in the middle).

Around summer, you can go to Ocean Dome. Never been there but looks expensive though.

Cost of entrance fees for amusement parks can cost around JPY3500-JPY10,000. If you are going to Universal Studios or Disneyland/sea I suggest you go there for 2 days to enjoy the rides. Queueing formajor rides can take as long as 3 hours esp. in USJ.

You have to try the hot springs or onsen if you are plannin to stay in ryokans. The cost for stayin in ryokans depends on the city you're stayin in. They rarely accept single travellers so it would be better if you go there by groups but they charge per person not per room. Average would be about JPY7000 per person per night. But still ryokans are cheaper compared to hotels. If you are goin wit a gf, then try at least to go to a rabu rabu hoteru (love hotel). Lotsa kinky stuffs (daw)...never been there so can't tell, but i've seen one online.

For transportation, JR is the most famous local train. They sell ride-all-you-can tickets for tourists. Try to google Japan Railways and check the ticket types. They don't sell that kind of ticket in Japan so I suggest to get it before you go here. It is easy to go around here cuz you can always check online which train you have to ride, what time you have to leave, and which trains you have to transfer to. Don't worry, if you think you got lost, you can always go back without payin extra. As long as you're still inside the train station.

As for food, you'll be overwhelmed wit the serving of the dishes. Durin summer if you wanna try Sobas or Udons, mind ya...they serve em cold. Must tries are ramen, sushi, yakuniku, kare, tempura. There are places that offer unlimited rice, eat-all-you-can, drink-all-you-can. Individual meals cost around JPY500-JPY2000. It's always nice to go to restaurants that have picture menus so you won't feel lost.

Whew and haba na pala..when it comes to Airlines I think China Airlines is the cheapest and when it comes to service I'd say you go for JAL.

Kung may tanong ka lang fireaway hehe.

Nice reply... Been to Japan countless times on account of my job... Tokyo (Nishi-shinjuku area) is where I usually stay for a couple of days beofer taking off to visit clients in Himeji, Yokohama, and Hamamatsu.

If staying for a couple of days... try getting a Rail Pass from JAL... This gives you all day and night free rides on the Bus, Metro, Subway, Express Trains and even the Shinkansen (bullet train). It's around 250USD for a 5 day pass but you can go crazy with it. It allowed me to see the japanese countryside while getting quickly to Kyoto, Hiroshima, Osaka, Nagoya and other cities within the validity period of the pass. The rail pass is worth it if you city-hop as just one roundtrip Tokyo - Kyoto Bullet train ticket would run up to 150USD or more. Heck, just the NaritaAirport to Tokyo express cost 60USD roundtrip.

If planning to only hit one city then the Rail Pass may not be an economical option. Tokyo in itself is a huge city and can take several days to explore it's hi-tech and cultural attractions. Akihabara is a must see and so is Ginza, Meiji Koen, ROPPONGI hills, and those who are for the daring Kabuki-cho in Shinjuko :)

Kampai!!!

• 2 weeks later...

been to kyoto, tokyo and nagoya. expensive places..

in kyoto, sighseeing in their temples and castle. Tokyo, i was fortunate to stay in a hotel just fronting the imperial palace and is very expensive. I ate dinner alone and it cost me 7000 yen and that was only a light dinner..

best buys in japan would be the electronics (second hand), still functioning well at a cheap price only caveat is that there is no instrcution manual in english

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i stayed about a week and it was cold. haha! didnt do much siteseeing, as it was a business trip, but the intercon in shibuya was very comfortable with great food! i got lost alot on the trains but its easy to figure out after awhile. shopping was pretty fun in tokyo and shibuya and the nitelife rocked in roppongi (go with a group of friends tho, it can get scary haha) :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...
btw, where do you shop for second hand electronics.. thanks

If you are staying in Tokyo, go to Akihabara. They've got rows upon rows of electronic shops that go as high as the 7th floor. One day isn't enough. You'll lose track of time in one shop. If you have an itinerary, don't make the mistake of over-staying in one shop. Prices usually have the same range from store to store but it pays to scout before finally buying. Just remember where you saw what you wanted. With no English and roman alphabets, its easy to get confused. And before buying, make sure that you'll be able to use it here.

TIP: Tourists get discounts if you show your passport, and if you've been there for less than 6 months. I can't remember how much your purchase should be to avail of that discount but do ask, and just purchase your goods in one store all at one time.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
planning to go this year. ano na ba mga airlines na pwede from manila? which is the cheapest currently?

i think the cheapest wud be PAL.. but sometimes it depends on the season too.. tried JAL.. service is great.. the food too.. mom said i shud try cathay pacific.. stopover daw kase minsan sa HK.. i dunno kung tama nga.. hehehe..

back to topic... mahal talga mamuhay sa japan.. as deyv said if ur into gadgets AKIHABARA wud be ur place... if guitars n other musical instruments try OCHANOMIZU... i dunno if i spelled it ryt.. hehehe.... for me kawasaki shi is da best.. hehehe.. dun ako nkatira date eh....heehe

I've been in Japan when I was 16yrs old. Japan is very clean and people are very disciplined. Anywhere in Tokyo is a good place...Okinawa, Nagasaki, Shinagawa, Daiwa Roynet Osaki and a lot more!!!! are very nice place to visit. shempre andon ang Tokyo Disney resort (Disneylan)n ginaya ng Hongkong hahaha! And gawa n ang Disney sea, hopefully I can visit Japan soon :thumbsupsmiley:

• 2 weeks later...

I have stayed in Hokkaido, Saitama, Nagoya, Tokyo, Chiba, Yokohama.

Overall, Yokohama is the best for me. It has everything - Chinatown (the one and only in Japan - try the huge siopao (Nikuman) there), Yokohama Baseball Stadium (one of the first built in Japan and the first to hold a night game), Landmark Tower - the tallest building in Japan (in MM21), a big Ferris Wheel (it takes 15 minutes for one revolution - enough time for ahem...) also in MM21 near Landmark, Kamakura, Sea Paradise, Golden Bridge, Ramen Museum, among others. They have the best ramen houses - Ippudo, Ichi-ran, Yoshimura. Plus, I believe this is the port of entry of our national hero (Yokohama port).

Electronics

Others might be surprised, but based on experience, if you are staying long in Japan, IMO it is better to purchase online than to go to Akihabara. You won't get tired (only when canvassing/browsing online) and you'd save on fare (and foods/drinks). Also, you won't get distracted on what to buy unlike when you are in Aki, you'd be tempted to buy other things that you did not intend to originally (oi! maganda ito ah, mabili nga ito, teka may pera pa kaya?).

One of the best sites to canvass/order is

http://kakaku.com/

On this site, you can have comparative listings of stores with their respective prices on various items. Various modes of payments are credit card, bank, convenient store, COD. Most often than not, you can specify the date and time of the delivery when you order.

Foods

You should try the various Ramen, Sushi (try a Kaiten Sushi - sushi on a conveyor), Yakitori, Yakisoba, Yakiniku, etc. If you want to impress your Nihonjin boss/es - try natto (only for the strong willed :) ).

I have stayed in Hokkaido, Saitama, Nagoya, Tokyo, Chiba, Yokohama.

Overall, Yokohama is the best for me. It has everything - Chinatown (the one and only in Japan - try the huge siopao (Nikuman) there), Yokohama Baseball Stadium (one of the first built in Japan and the first to hold a night game), Landmark Tower - the tallest building in Japan (in MM21), a big Ferris Wheel (it takes 15 minutes for one revolution - enough time for ahem...) also in MM21 near Landmark, Kamakura, Sea Paradise, Golden Bridge, Ramen Museum, among others. They have the best ramen houses - Ippudo, Ichi-ran, Yoshimura. Plus, I believe this is the port of entry of our national hero (Yokohama port).

Electronics

Others might be surprised, but based on experience, if you are staying long in Japan, IMO it is better to purchase online than to go to Akihabara. You won't get tired (only when canvassing/browsing online) and you'd save on fare (and foods/drinks). Also, you won't get distracted on what to buy unlike when you are in Aki, you'd be tempted to buy other things that you did not intend to originally (oi! maganda ito ah, mabili nga ito, teka may pera pa kaya?).

One of the best sites to canvass/order is

http://kakaku.com/

On this site, you can have comparative listings of stores with their respective prices on various items. Various modes of payments are credit card, bank, convenient store, COD. Most often than not, you can specify the date and time of the delivery when you order.

Foods

You should try the various Ramen, Sushi (try a Kaiten Sushi - sushi on a conveyor), Yakitori, Yakisoba, Yakiniku, etc. If you want to impress your Nihonjin boss/es - try natto (only for the strong willed :) ).

Natto DOES take awhile to get used to. It took me 17 years before I got used to it and am half Japanese! I love Japan and love it whenever we go there to visit family. To see old Japan though, Kyoto is a must see.

Guest lustfortravel
To see old Japan though, Kyoto is a must see.

I agree. It is worth the ticket price of the shinkansen to go to Kyoto. However, given the chance, I would avoid going to Kyoto on weekends since the tourist buses cause traffic in the narrow streets leading to the temples.

The maikos ( apprentice geishas) are also a sight to see in Kyoto. :)

I agree. It is worth the ticket price of the shinkansen to go to Kyoto. However, given the chance, I would avoid going to Kyoto on weekends since the tourist buses cause traffic in the narrow streets leading to the temples.

The maikos ( apprentice geishas) are also a sight to see in Kyoto. :)

Might actually get to see it this time. There's a tentative plan to visit this October so am keeping my fingers crossed. Always been a Tokyo boy for the simple reason that my family lives there but Kyoto is a place I've always wanted to visit.