"Human nature will not flourish, any more than a potato,

if it be planted and replanted for too long a series of

generations in the same worn-out soil. My children have

had other birthplaces, and, so far as their fortunes may

be within my control, shall strike their roots into

unaccustomed earth."

--Nathaniel Hawthorne

Edited by deepdiverboy

I guess what kids need these days is an assurance that they are also listened to. Like any other relationships, hearing each other out, more often than not, solve or at least help solve issues. There will never ba a perfect method but communication never fails... Tama, raising kids is never easy... I just try to be what my 11 year old daughter needs me to be, a Friend and a Mom. :)

Edited by unpr3tty

Im not a parent, I dont even know if i'll be one but i'd love to be one. :D

I grew up without a mom, & my dad wasnt really there, well he was there physically and the only support he gave was financial support. Here are the things na sana ginawa ng dad ko as a parent, pwede na rin sigurong advice and some are advice na narinig ko..

-say I love you and say it often, hearing those words can be uplifting, it will give your kid confidence and somewhat security.

-praise them if they did something good.

-re-assure them of your love.

-let them know that you will always be there for them.

-introduce (not impose) God at an early age. teach them how to pray. how? pray with them.

-be a good example.

-teach them to save money at an early age.

• Like (+1) 1

my parents beat me up silly when i did wrong, which was pretty often. i love them dearly and miss them. i understood perfectly what they had to do.

my kids i used to spank to set them straight. now that they are older, its moved on to reprimanding them with invectives liberally thrown in (e.g. that was stupid, why did you do that?). only time will tell if i overdid it.

but despite my heavy handedness and callous mouth, my kids play with me almost everyday. it's usually just horsing around, but it always ends up with hugs and kisses. i think we're going to be okay.

• 4 weeks later...

ayaw ko sa mga magulang n nagsasabi sa anak nila n "anak ka lng"..

ang responsibilidad ng mga magulang ay palakihin ang mga anak para maging isang mabuting magulang din sa kanilang magiging mga anak....

kung hindi naging mabuti ang anak mo it means hindi ka naging mabuting magulang....

kahit kelan walang karapatan ang mga magulang sa kanilang mga anak kasi hindi naman pinili nung bata kung sina ang magiging magulang nila kaya hindi pwedeng diktahan ng magulang ang kanilang mga anak kung anu ang kanilang dapat gawin... kung ayaw mong maging masama ang mga anak mo , magpakita ka ng mga mabubuting mga gawain pra gayahin ng anak mo. sa ganung pamamaraan hindi mo sila kaylangang diktahan kung anu ang tama at ang mali...

Im not a parent, I dont even know if i'll be one but i'd love to be one. :D

I grew up without a mom, & my dad wasnt really there, well he was there physically and the only support he gave was financial support. Here are the things na sana ginawa ng dad ko as a parent, pwede na rin sigurong advice and some are advice na narinig ko..

-say I love you and say it often, hearing those words can be uplifting, it will give your kid confidence and somewhat security.

-praise them if they did something good.

-re-assure them of your love.

-let them know that you will always be there for them.

-introduce (not impose) God at an early age. teach them how to pray. how? pray with them.

-be a good example.

-teach them to save money at an early age.

i do these to my kids too. it works.

let me add:

-listening to them when the have something to say helps in building a stronger parent child relationship.

-be firm and fair

Raising children is what i know best. Being a single mother with two children ,who have distinct infectious personalities, made my life more meaningful. Although marriage pops into my mind once in a while and i thought it could be a handful if i would. I devote my life to them and i don't think i'l ever marry. My parents were divorced when i was little and i don't want it to happen to my children. Never married to anyone, i have planned this all my life. I may have a boyfriend but i can't keep a promise to go to the altar and spend the rest of my life with him. I'm selfish, high-strung and adore my children to pieces and my career is soaring. Having children makes me a complete woman, why marry?

• 2 months later...

SUNDAY REFLECTIONS by MONGSKI

When you have a child, you don't love that child

because he is great or powerful, or can do great things for you.

You love your child simply because he is your child,

your creation, a part of you.

Why does He love you, and the rest of humanity?

Because He created us. He put something of Himself into us.

We are His children. He doesn't love us because of our

great achievements but simply because we are His.
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i don't really want to interfere with their growing up... i can only provide guidance and direction if they need or want me to. i just made it clear to them: it's their life! whatever happens to their future, it was because of their own choosing... not mine.