Azkals (Philippine futbol's poster boys)

thegame08

pero sumikat ang rowing, di ba? and thanks to him, the rowing sport got some media mileage, and has its share of accolades.

dude, i dont think people will remember goma as a baseball player.

nag-fencing din sya, pero hindi sumikat yung fencing, right?

share ko lang 'to..humanda na sa pagkamangha!

;)

2013 World Baseball Classic

The 2013 World Baseball Classic will be a future baseball tournament. 12 teams will compete in the classic, where they will be joined by 4 qualifiers.

The top 12 teams from the 2009 World Baseball Classic will automatically qualify for the tournament. The bottom 4 teams will be joined by a further 12 countries for the qualifying round.

Main round

Japan

South Korea

China

Cuba

Australia

Venezuela

Mexico

United States

Italy

Puerto Rico

Dominican Republic

Netherlands

Qualifying round

The qualifying round will be split into four groups of four teams, in which one team from Europe, Asia, Americas will be present plus hosts. [TENTATIVE]

Asia Group host: Taiwan

Taiwan

PHILIPPINES

New Zealand or Pakistan or Hong Kong

Thailand

North Atlantic Group host: Canada

Canada

France

Great Britain

Sweden

Latin America Group host: Panama

Panama

Nicaragua

Colombia

Brazil

Europe Group host: South Africa

Spain

Germany

Czech Republic

South Africa

gudlak na lang din sa azkals kung makakasali sila sa world cup!

:rolleyes:

^^^^

good luck sa world baseball classic. malay mo, heto yung big break for baseball na hinahanap mo.

the azkals not reaching the world cup could be the end of the fad.

----------------------------

ps. about goma, really, you think this washed up actor-politician can make a sport famous?

AZKALS SUCKS BIGTIME!!! mga players dito bangko sa mga bansa nila.. puro ibang lahi na.. sa susunod wala ng pure pinoy dito.. puro pasikat, mga talunan ang pinipiling kalaban kaya nanalo.. team Z na ata ng ibang bansa.. hirap pang talunin.. tsk. tsk..

Walang namang pinag-iba ang Azkals sa men's basketball team natin more particularly pag 'yung all-pro squad ang pinanapadala dahil tadtad ng Fil-Ams, saka noon pa man may mga helf-breeds na talaga sa Philippine sports simulan mo kina Ricky Brown, David Bunevacz (sa track and field but who turns-out to be all-hype), then mga Fil-Ams sa PBA at ngayon mga half-breeds na football players. Ngayon nga 'yung smart-gilas 'di lang half-breeds kundi me naturalized player pa in douhit.

Edited by Agent_mulder

they wont get far with goma......

-----

the youghusbands are far better poster boys than goma. they contribute a lot to the popularity of the azkals.

Besides, Goma's too old. His misadventures into local politics haven't helped his causes either.

Walang namang pinag-iba ang Azkals sa men's basketball team natin more particularly pag 'yung all-pro squad ang pinanapadala dahil tadtad ng Fil-Ams, saka noon pa man may mga helf-breeds na talaga sa Philippine sports simulan mo kina Ricky Brown, David Bunevacz (sa track and field but who turns-out to be all-hype), then mga Fil-Ams sa PBA at ngayon mga half-breeds na football players. Ngayon nga 'yung smart-gilas 'di lang half-breeds kundi me naturalized player pa in douhit.

Which reminds me of a number of posts I made in another forum...I just hope that all the media attention directed towards the Fil-Brit hunks playing for the Azkals won't swell their heads in the long run. Else it may as well be the David Bunevacz syndrome running one more time (or maybe two or even three)

even though they tick me off a little, the younghusbands seems to be the real mccoys. real talented football players raised well by their Filipina mom. unlike bunevacz who is a poseur with dubious intentions right from the start. he even embezzled some poor saps years back, right?! kups talaga!

Which reminds me of a number of posts I made in another forum...I just hope that all the media attention directed towards the Fil-Brit hunks playing for the Azkals won't swell their heads in the long run. Else it may as well be the David Bunevacz syndrome running one more time (or maybe two or even three)

Of course, let's not kid ourselves into believing that we're going to make it to the world cup 2014. The target is just to make it to the 3rd round; it takes 4-5 rounds to qualify for the world cup. Juan Cutillas is correct in saying it will take at least 12 years of sustained hard work to get there. It took the US lots of money, Pele and 20 years to reach world cup level of play.

Smart is supporting the azkals but the medium-term (i.e. 3-year) objective is only to be among the Top 3 in the ASEAN.

Nonetheless, futbol is so popular globally that even the Suzuki Cup semi-final game between Indonesia and the azklas drew 80,000 paying fanatical Indonesians. The Suzuki preliminary matches pittng top teams like Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia were seen by an average of 60,000. And yet nobody from this group ever made it to the world cup. So even in small leagues, the sport is big.

-----

the youghusbands are far better poster boys than goma. they contribute a lot to the popularity of the azkals.

Si goma naman ang daming sports na pinasok gaya ng basketball (naglaro pa sa college of masscom sa intrams ng U.P.), fencing, baseball, but did he really managed to excel in those sports?

Kudos to the azkals for putting the coutry in football map. Sana wag lang sila malunod sa showbiz glitter and just concentrate on their craft.

Got to agree with you on that bro. I hope that they can keep it up....

-----

Si goma naman ang daming sports na pinasok gaya ng basketball (naglaro pa sa college of masscom sa intrams ng U.P.), fencing, baseball, but did he really managed to excel in those sports?

Kudos to the azkals for putting the coutry in football map. Sana wag lang sila malunod sa showbiz glitter and just concentrate on their craft.

Got to agree with you on that bro. I hope that they can keep it up....

can we get a state of the art soccer stadium for the azkals?

Wala pa yata tayo sa stage na yan. Bro. Mike Velarde volunteered his property in Paranaque for building a stadium for the Askals. But this was rejected by FIFA and the PFF for undisclosed reasons, and decided instead to refurbish Philsposts stadium in Pasig (artificial turf, seats, etc.) in exchange for part ownership of the stadium. Part of Smart's about P100M grant for football is also being considered for financing a stadium, apart from the development of a viable league.

I also have a friend who's lobbying for a world class stadium in Iloilo City to be put up in honor of the country's best football player ever, a Fil-Spanish who was born and raised in the Philippines and played in a champion Spanish First Division Club at the turn of the 2oth century (his name escapes me now, will report later...)

Hayun, si Paulino Alcantara y Riestra pala, born to a Spanish father and an Ilongga mother, who played for FC Barcelona from 1912 to 1927, and for the Philippine team in 1917. He retired from futbol in 1927 and became a doctor, although he was the manager of the Spanish national team in 1951.

Mahina ang depensa, ang bagal bumaba. Si neil etheridge parang out of focus.

Don't know though if Michael Weiss was experimenting on offensive patterns, as he seemed to imply in his post-game remark, and didn't deliberately focus on defense.

Best performing UFL selection players could be considered for the azkals, unfortunately most of the standouts were pure ex-pats, not fil-foreigners, so they can 't join the team.