What Food Do You Cook On Special Occassions?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we have a huge clan, and we have three big occasions during the year where everybody gets together. xmas and new year where it;s pot luck but the host is expected to prepare at least 5 dishes. and holy week where everybody just pitches money and the families send their designated penitents to spend the week in the family home to cook the whole week. this is a list of what me and my cousins prepare.

xmas and new year:

1. ham

2. pasta

3. fried chicken

4. kaldereta

5. menudo

6. potato or russian salad

7. chopseuy

8. bulalo

pabasa holy week

monday

1. halayaang ube

2. macapuno

3. leche flan

4.matamis na beans

5 matamis na garbansos

tuesday

we clean and prepare all the meat and offal

hamonado

cook the bagoong for the kare-kare

wednesday

we clean and gut the fish

morcon

embotido

rellenong bangus

maundy thursday

breakfast:

fried eggs

omelette

hotdogs

bacon

sinangag

lunch:

chicken asparagus soup

escabeche

menudo

fried chicken

mechado

embotido done the day before is served

dinner

pesang dalag

kaldereta

mayonesa

afritada

kare-kare

hamonado, morcon and rellenong bangus prepared the previous day.

minatamis served the whole day

Edited by gadalej
  • 1 year later...

Christmas Eve 2008

I made 8 pizzas in 5 flavors (ham and cheese, pesto, 4 seasons, all meat, garlic and cheese). I made the crust and the pizza sauce from scatch. I also made my special bbq.

This year I'm planning to make the following:

Tasty ribs

my special BBQ

Persian salad

chicken Suresh

Butter Steamed Vegetables

and if I still have time Lasagna (I plan to make my own pasta for this one)

Edited by profgadget
  • 2 months later...

OX TONGUE (LENGUA) IN MUSHROOM SAUCE

Ox tongue in mushroom sauce served with mashed potatoes topped with browned onion bits. It really sounds continental but, believe it or not, most Filipino cookbooks include a version of this dish.

Because of its price in the Philippines, ox tongue is served mostly in expensive restaurants and hotels. When served with mushroom sauce, a few slices are arranged on the dinner plate and served with a scoop or two of mashed potatoes. Neither is it a dish commonly served at home because of the extensive cooking time it requires. But that doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy it…

First of all, you don’t have to do everything all the same time. The mashed potatoes, for instance, can be prepared hours earlier and kept in the fridge. While simmering the ox tongue, do other things… read, go online, watch TV, sleep, do the laundry, clean the house… four hours is a long time. No reason to just sit and wait for the meat to cook. When I cook this dish, I prepare the mashed potatoes and cook the tongue in the morning. Then, I cool the tongue on a plate, remove the skin, cover it with cling wrap and let it sit in the fridge until it’s time to prepare dinner. The cooler the tongue, the easier it is to slice. If you slice it while still warm, the meat will disintegrate and your cooked dish will look terrible. Besides, you can’t brown the sliced tongue in butter unless it is cold and firm.

As to the mashed potatoes, the idea of mixing in the skin was something I picked up over a luncheon buffet at a local steak restaurant. I figured, why not? Aren’t most of the nutrients of the potato supposed to be in the skin? I had to sound off my kids first, though. When the said sure!, I went ahead.

Ingredients:

1 ox tongue (about 1.1 kilos)

2 tbsp. of vinegar

1 whole garlic

1 whole onion

6 peppercorns

1 bay leaf

1/2 carrot

a few stalks of leek

1 can condensed mushroom soup

1/4 c. + 2 tbsp. of butter

1 onion, chopped

1/2 k. of potatoes

1/2 c. of milk

salt and pepper

1 tsp. of finely chopped fresh parsley

1 onion, sliced

4 button mushrooms, chopped

How to:

Scrape the ox tongue with a knife. Rinse well under running water. Place in a glass bowl and cover with water. Add 2 tbsp. of vinegar. With your hands, “wash” the tongue in the warer-vinegar solution. Rinse well. Place the ox tongue in a casserole and cover with water. Pierce garlic in several places with a sharp pointed knife. Add garlic, onion, carrot, leeks, peppercorns and bay leaf to the tongue. Set over medium heat and bring to a soft boil, removing scum as it rises. Lower heat, cover and simmer until tender, about 4 hours.

While simmering the meat, prepare the mashed potatoes. Using a brush, scrub the potatoes under the tap, making sure that no soil remains. Place the potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Add 1 tsp. of salt. Set over high heat and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer until tender. To test for doneness, insert a pointed knife at the thickest part of the potatoes. Drain the potatoes and transfer to a glass bowl. Cut the potatoes into small pieces. Mash with a fork (I did not remove the skin). Add 2 tbsp. of butter and mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Pour in 1/2 c. of milk in a thin stream. Blend well. Stir in the chopped parsley. Cover the bowl with a cling wrap.

When the tongue is tender, transfer it to a plate and cool completely. Remove the skin and slice crosswise into 1/4″ thick slices. Set aside. Strain the broth.

Over medium-high heat, melt 1 tbsp. of butter in a skillet. Brown the chopped onion. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Set aside.

Increase heat to high and melt the remaining butter in the skillet. Add the sliced lengua and brown them in batches, removing them as they brown and adding more butter if necessary. Saute the sliced onion in the skillet. Add the chopped mushrooms. Dilute the mushroom soup with the meat broth. Use equal parts of soup and broth for a regular sauce; reduce the amount of broth by half for a thicker sauce. Pour diluted soup into the skillet. Lower heat to medium and bring to a soft boil, stirring to make sure that no lumps remain. Return the tongue slices to the skillet and heat through.

Serving suggestion:

Spoon the mashed potatoes at the center of the serving plate (see photo above). Top with the browned onion bits. Arrange the meat slices on both sides of the mashed potatoes. Pour the sauce over the meat. Serve hot.

• 2 weeks later...

Any of these, depends on the occasion and my mood :lol:

Beef Caldereta

Beef in Mushroom sauce

Beef Kare-Kare

Grilled Baby Back Ribs

Crabs or Prawns in Schezuan Sauce

Fish Fillet Curry

Cheesy Carbonara

Waldorf Salad --- just my favorite! :)

Crema de Fruta

Chicken Potato Salad

Strawberry Pannacota

and Cakes :)

wanting to make an Indian/Mediterranean dish but I still lack some of the spices... :unsure:

Edited by Seishi
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...