Office Success And Survival Tips

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Know your job, worry about "your" job, aim high...

I find that no matter how many backstabbers, gossip mongrels, ass lickers etc... as long as you do your job, you'll be ok.

Less talk, less problems...

The workplace practice overseas is very different from the Philippines. You worry about yourself abroad and do not worry about others because they do not worry about you.When it comes to bread and butter, in here there's no such thing as "friends". We also don't have loyalty award programs...and yes, we have more backstabbers here... =)

Edited by strong_cock

THE 10 COMMANDMENTS OF WORKING FOR OTHERS:

1. DON'T LIE. It's a waste of time. I'm sure to catch you in the end and that's the wrong end.

2. WATCH YOUR WORK, NOT THE CLOCK.

3. GIVE ME MORE THAT I EXPECT AND I'LL GIVE YOU MORE THAN YOU EXPECT. I can afford to increase your pay only if you increase my profits.

4. YOU OWE SO MUCH TO YOURSELF THAT YOU CANNOT AFFORD TO OWE ANYBODY ELSE.

5. DISHONESTY IS NEVER AN ACCIDENT. Good men and women never see temptation when they meet it.

6. MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS and in time you'll have your own business to mind.

7. DON'T DO ANYTHING TO HURT YOUR SELF-RESPECT. An employee who is willing to steal for me is willing to steal from me.

8. IT IS NOT MY BUSINESS WHAT YOU DO AT NIGHT UNLESS IT AFFECTS YOUR PRODUCTIVITY DURING THE DAY. If you do only half as much as I expect, you'll last half as long as you hope.

9. DON'T TELL ME WHAT I LIKE TO HEAR. Tell me instead what I need to hear.

10. DON'T KICK IF I KICK. If you're worth correcting, it's because you're worth keeping.

• 7 months later...

1. first of all, determine your career path. for example, if you're an accounting grad, determine if you will practice that profession or not...

2. then aim high. i suggest you think of the highest position possible like to become a finance director or something.

3. work on that target. work hard, be patient. you may stumble or be disappointed from time to time. it's normal. stay on course, be determined to hit your target.

4. excel in the things you do. exceed you're superior's expectations. do things right the first time, everytime.

5. and of course, pray to God always.

• 5 months later...

From time to time, I receive text messages from Smart 206 entitled ASENSO TIPS. I don't find it annoying, in fact I almost save it all. Now that I need to clear my inboxes, I think it might be worthwile to post it here to share them with you:

1) Never come in late at the office, then leave early. Ang dating sa boss mo kasi, hindi ka na interesado sa trabaho mo.

2) Keep up with business trends. Magbasa ng best selling business books and magazines para may insight ka for the next big thing. Then pitch your idea.

3) Wag mong gastusin ang mga don't-touch-your-bonuses mo. Start a retirement fund early. Iwan mo sa banko at hayaan mo lumago. Masosorpresa ka.

4) Doing you job is good, but brushing up on your skills is better.Mag-seminar or take courses on a regular basis to improve your skills set.

5) A positve attitude helps a lot on staying on the job. Pag negative ka, nakaka-annoy lang sa iba. Reward yourself, even your little accomplishments.

6) Stop being a perfectionist. Somewhere along the way, may mangyayaring unexpected. Don't obsess about the details kung ayaw mo ma-stress ng todo.

7) While at work, chickahin mo ang ibang empleyado in other departments, not just the ones you work with. Malay mo makaka-trabaho mo rin sila in the future.

8) Pwede mo i-simplify ang work mo when you write it down. Have a to-do list, tapos make a time-line. Mag delegate ng workload, if possible.

9) To save time, gumawa ng form letters on your computer. From proposasls to thank you notes, para insert new names and dates ka na lang - quick & efficient!

10) Dapat may evaluations para sa employees at least once a year. Kung di common practice sa office mo, ask a supervisor for a feedback.

11) Office gossip is unavoidable. Wag kang mag-umpisa ng tsismis. If you do and get caught, be ready for the consequences of your actions.

12) Deadlines are meant to be taken seriously. Tapusin mo agad para hindi ma-delay ang iba waiting for you. Be consentious of your work.

13) Make friends at work, not enemies! Baka ma-surprise ka na lang na today's enemy is your boss tommorow.

14) Lagi ka bang naghahagilap ng pen especially when you need it the most? Invest in a dozen inexpensive pens. Ilagay sa isang tray near your work phone.

15) Stmulate creativity - daydream at work. Mag-isip ng wild ideas, tapos write it down in your notebook. Gamitn sa next brainstorming.

16) Never say "That's not part of my job description". Iisipin ng boss mo na wala kang initiative at hindi good sign yun.

17) Your desk says a lot about your personality. Pero kung wala kang personal items sa desk mo, it shows your stay on the job is only temporary.

18) Organize email correspondences. Gumawa ng folders na may DO, AWAITNG ANWER, READ, & REFERENCE. Mas magiging eficient at maiiwasan ang email overload.

19) If a high profile job is being offered and nobody wants to take it, ikaw ang mag-volunteer. Nai-impress ang mga boss sa mga risk-takers.

20) Para di ma-bore sa ginagawa sa office, change the order in which you handle your task daily. Switch mo yung pang-morning, gawin mong pang-afternoon.

21) Spread goodwill in the office. Leave words like - Great Job on co-workers desk. Draw smiley faces on post-it notes. Gawin mas-fun ang work environment!

22) One of the golden rules if you work on a computer is: Make back-ups, Gumawa ng extra copy ng lahat ng files and documents in case of fire or theft.

23) Wag mahihiya - improve your public speaking. Useful ito pag client representations. Dapat you grab their attention the 1st 60 seconds, make it interesting.

24) Want to improve yourself on the job? I-enhance mo ang skills mo sa negotiation, conflict resolution, time management, and project management.

25) Dagdagan ang skills set mo by approaching someone senior in your organization to become a mentor. Dapat di mo boss, but someone you can respect at work.

26) If your job involves dealing with international clients, learn a foreign language. These days, mas valuable ang employee na maraming alam na languages

Edited by mason_rod
  • 2 months later...

it seems all of us have similar experiences...

there are only two things we need:

1. regardless of what your job is, you must first decide what you want to become. establish your target!

(there were rags to riches stories like: bank janitor became their president; waiter became franchise owners.)

2. stay focused in achieving what you have decided to be

you may need the following skills as your tools in item no. 2:

a. build up your x/+ factor

x/+ factors are the qualities that makes you "angat" sa iba!

examples are:

"going the extra miles" - others may leave at exactly 5:00PM but you stay

"walk the talk" - others may not show up because of the rain or flood, but you do!

"smiling under pressure" - you don't want to fool yourself, but you certainly don't want to ruin your day either -- you still need to have some energies to keep up the pace! giving in to pressure drains lots of energy!

b. learn the rules of the game

this will help you know when and how you can bend these rules to your advantage

"alam mo nang mainit ang ulo ng boss mo, inasar mo pa!"

eto na 'yong mga typical na maririnig mo: "hindi man lang inisip na nakaka sakit na siya ng damdamin!" or "bago man lang siya gumawa ng hakbang, sana inisip man lang muna niya!"

study the weaknesses of your backstabbers, your bosses, clients, etc. and hit them hard on that spot! so hard that they may even thank you for it!

make your backstabbers on your side - magagaling silang kakampi /

make those tsismoso/tsismosa on your side - magagaling silang taga depensa mo

c. staying focused means avoiding distractions

whatever the whole world says [tsismis] against you, you know who you are

A = A even if the whole universe says A = B. Why get hurt if you know the Truth!

d. bring a plant in the office to keep you reminded of a living inspiration

look at some similarities.

the roots = learning

when we were kids, we were growing up "absorbing" and learning things around us

when we are new to the company we are "absorbing" and learning things around us

the stem = strength

when we were teen agers, we were pasaway we "know" better than our parents

in the office, sometimes our "sungay" grows longer than our years of stay.

then we realize we are alone

the leaves = cooperation

then we decide that we need them afterall

then we realize how easy it is reaching the goal

the fruits = sharing

then we decide to pass this knowledge to those who are willing to take them!

GOOD LUCK!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I was invited to a company once, selling stuff here and there, and I wasnt really that type of guy who would plan working there, so after leaving, their branch manager invited me for dinner instead. He was asking as to how this and that work, so I shared some advice to him and to some of his staff..

1) Use your charms- I know its stupid and it breaks work ethics, but if your planning to be at the top, I suggest you do so, be as cunnning and ruthless as ever, be assertive but not too much and always play a poker face. Never mix emotions with your work but never be emotionless as well, its not good that you try to be the Bosses' pet, but it works well.

2) Quid pro quo-I scratch your back, you scratch mine, if your planning to work late, better have someone to help you, share ideas, and waits for you to finish your work. As for "workstabbers", wait for karma to react. Most of the time if you hit something hard, it hits back, someone would definetely get fired for pushing back, but are you glad that its not you?

3) Learn the ways through the game- Both its legal and the you-know-what. For instance, in working in an add business, the one who knows more and has more talent often gets a bigger piece of the cake, while pointy nose nerds often has the smallest share, gentlemen, if your thinking of that youngest brother who has the last piece in a family, its true, its mostly the same, the game is the same offcourse. The workplace is like a family, those who works hard gains credit, those who works late gets appricated in the morning and those who often practice being the Teacher's pet often has an easy lifestyle.

4) Look the look- Now that you act the part, its time to have the look. Its obvious that the person who acts and looks like a corporate businessman often is the 1st to get employed, and its true that a person with the greatest record often gets employed, its true, but some people who often have a great record are often been beaten at employment by their "Look good" counterparts. Its the corporate world, and people with too much knowledge are often the ones who are "overqualified" for the job, so always act your place, be a good listener as well as poised.

• 1 year later...

I am affiliated with a professional services firm. I follow these things:

Sharpen your skills and always aim to do a little bit better on your next task.

Look for ways to make yourself more efficient.

Research, research, research.

Read the works of the greats in your field and emulate (or better still, surpass) them.

Work with the best.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
based on experience, this is dictated by the culture of the company.. there are companies who promote based on performance.. some on seniority... but of course, it all depends on the politics involved..

i prefer not to get promoted to be honest just as long as i get yearly increases.. once you get promoted, the amount of s**t you deal with increases tremendously..

I like the idea of "event _horizon". Although promotion and salary increase are everyones work goal...I do always keep in mind that great power comes with great responsiblity.... ^_^

when is the best time to ask for a salary increase? taking into consideration that there is an annual increase. what are the best ways on how to ask for the increase

IF YOUR COMPANY DOES NOT HAVE A REGULAR PERFORMANCE EVALUATION WHICH WILL BE THE BASIS OF YOUR SALARY INCREASE, BETTER START DOCUMENTING YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS AND ITS CORRESPONDING IMPACT TO THE COMPANY. THEN SUBMIT IT PERSONALLY TO YOUR BOSS AND SAY " BOSS LATELY I REALIZED THAT I HAVE THAN SO MUCH FOR THE COMPANY AND EXPECT THAT I WILL CONTINUE DOING THIS...MAY I KNOW YOUR PLANS FOR ME SIR?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...